It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CAN a persons medication make them more susceptible to torn ligaments in ankles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Last spring i tripped and tore my ligament in my right ankle, the doc did not treat it instead he kept telling me it would get better..... the boot was horrendous and that night i had to take it off because it was swelling so much that it was either that or go to the hospital for the pain. i was awake all night so i wouldnt have to contact someone to drive me. and in the morning i could finally get some exhausted rest, and take more tylenol i was maxed for the day.

Now thats not the weird part,so my doc told me to keep from walking on it and immobilize it. so i sat on the couch for like 3 months more.

so its around 6 mo now, that i been off my feet

on a day off on the weekend i decided to go outside and wtf i did the exact same thing to the other ankle? just like that. by stepping on a bit of uneven ground just a slight sloped piece of grass. and i dont understand how or why but it just happened.

so with two ankles decided to see my physiatrist instead of my gp who investigated further into my ankles...

i did remove tattoos, but you see the shape of my foot still, i did not do anything but a tattoo cover
and

for like visit after visit sprain after sprain after sprain i decided not to see him again

decided to see my physiatrist instead of my gp who investigated further into my ankles...

i finally decided when fall came i was done frickin sitting i was needing to work on my house very badly it was necessary. so i had my new boots that were made with extra ankle support to keep me on my feeet and went to work. for a mo, whil seeing her... she confirmed she couldnt find my ligaments and sent me to orthopedic dr that week, two weeks later i had surgery on right ankle to reconstruct the ligament, and now im going to go back and probably need rehab and then do the other ankle.

could my medications have caused this, or doctor negligence or what do you think?
edit on 11-1-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: added explanation of tattoo cover

edit on 11-1-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
List the medications you take.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

pentasa
wellabutrin
cymbalta
clonazepam
gabapentin
trazadone
tylenol artheritus max daily

are what i was taking then

ive since added an allergy pill otc
and some vitamin e, d, c, b12 and a zinc,with two other vitamins

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I saw an ad for some lawyers back during the summer and they were talking about some med that did cause torn ligaments. I can't remember the meds or the lawyers names, but it may be worth looking in to. Not for a law suit, just for your own well being. Or take a look at these.

www.drugs.com...

www.drug-injury.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Many antibiotics can have this side effect. look up leviquin, I was put on it for a sinus infection and it made all my ligament & tendons sore. I believe the FDA just put out a black box warning on leviquin and other antibiotics for risk of tendon rupture. Do a medication interaction/side effect check online and stop the medications immediately. see a new doctor! Wishing you a speeding recovery.

edit on 11-1-2012 by Deja`Vu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Sorry for your pain. It could be atrophy resulting in extreme weakness due to not having any/enough physical therapy.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

reply to post by Deja`Vu

reply to post by mwuhi

reply to post by BLKMJK

reply to post by BLKMJK

ty for your great input, i just found out today that a LOT of these medications have FLOURIDE as the active ingredient so i was planning on getting off of them soon, but due to the nature of the medications and my conditions i will have to taper slowly. If i quit all at once i would probably die in withdrawl or have a heart attack as i also found out they cause issues wtith other organs as well, so until i get off of the meds i have to kinda be mindful of this, not to mention they cause a boatload of other problems. I will have to speak to my doctor before doing so to make a plan.

i will do more research and i was wondering if maybe atrophy had something to do with it since my other doc just kinda ignored me for 6 months. what a joke he is,

he also told me black mold isnt dangerous and i should be fine.... my home was hit with it last summer he wouldnt test me...

think i will get a new one, not the first or even second time i felt discounted by him.

i was worried because i had gained weight while sitting and in one appt he actually gave me a pamphlet on excercizing more... i was like o thanks thats not what i asked for but ok. ill do this when i can actually move lol

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Do NOT do any pills that have fluoride. If you must take it see if you can find a substitute pill that doesnt have fluoride.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by N3v3rmor3

it could be the result of limited scleroderma..... tightening ligaments would be easier to tear...

It could also be some form of calcium deposit left in the ligaments scar tissue....

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Yeesh! I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to read of your situation! The rule of thumb about doctors is that if you are not satisfied, then by all means find another. Generally speaking, I don't find male doctors very understanding and non-judgmental, so I've happily found a woman doctor with whom I can relate.

I was prescribed cipro for a short time, yet after a couple of months, I had torn ligaments too. The ripping sound as I was sitting down was horrible and the swelling prevented me from doing lots of things. However, like you, I found that remaining immobile all the time impeded the burning of calories. I also cut back on calories because I began to gain right away, but it wasn't enough. So four times week, I got me to the local pool at the rec center and the water helped so much. Likewise, if you can find someone to drive you to a public pool and then wheel (rec centers usually have a couple of wheelchairs) you to the water's edge where a hydraulic lift can lower you safely into the water, you might enjoy it and benefit from it like I did. You can also search out exercises for chair bound people on Google and work your way back to health.

Here's wishing you a progressively satisfying recovery.
Sincerely, Aboutface.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

Yeesh! I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am to read of your situation! The rule of thumb about doctors is that if you are not satisfied, then by all means find another. Generally speaking, I don't find male doctors very understanding and non-judgmental, so I've happily found a woman doctor with whom I can relate.

I was prescribed cipro for a short time, yet after a couple of months, I had torn ligaments too. The ripping sound as I was sitting down was horrible and the swelling prevented me from doing lots of things. However, like you, I found that remaining immobile all the time impeded the burning of calories. I also cut back on calories because I began to gain right away, but it wasn't enough. So four times week, I got me to the local pool at the rec center and the water helped so much. Likewise, if you can find someone to drive you to a public pool and then wheel (rec centers usually have a couple of wheelchairs) you to the water's edge where a hydraulic lift can lower you safely into the water, you might enjoy it and benefit from it like I did. You can also search out exercises for chair bound people on Google and work your way back to health.

Here's wishing you a progressively satisfying recovery.
Sincerely, Aboutface.

lucky for me its been so long since injury that i can walk quite confidently without pain but carefully knowing i 1 just got surgery on the right and its better than it was but needs physical therapy, and 2 have no ligaments on left side and need to do the surgery before it will be stable.

however since its been soo long since i have fell now i feel quite good. just have to be SUPER careful which is why when it comes time for me to walk around i wear my boots.

since ive been walking around ive FINALLY after a couple months lost 4 or so pounds so if that continues i will be happy, My mom has a pool at her apartment why did i not take that into consideration!

ty for your reply, im so sorry you had a similar experience

i hate medication and being sick and such
edit on 11-1-2012 by N3v3rmor3 because: my comment disappeared lol

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

it could be the result of limited scleroderma..... tightening ligaments would be easier to tear...

It could also be some form of calcium deposit left in the ligaments scar tissue....

Both very possible, had not thought of either possiblity... i know my body tightens itself a LOT, which is just one reason im on the clonazepam and gabapentin.

ty for bringing these to my attention!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwuhi
Do NOT do any pills that have fluoride. If you must take it see if you can find a substitute pill that doesnt have fluoride.

Ty so very much, i will ask my doctor if he has alternatives to these medications

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK
Sorry for your pain. It could be atrophy resulting in extreme weakness due to not having any/enough physical therapy.

i am quite certain part of it is attributed at least to an extent even if very limited due to this. we tried physical therapy before surgery and she was horrified at how little muscle i had in my legs

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
My doctor prescribed cipro to me for a sinus/ear infection last year. I went home and looked up the side effects...ligament damage, which sometimes doesn't appear for MONTHS.

Needless to say, I refused the cipro and asked for some tried and true erythomicin.

Did you take any powerful antibiotics in the past few months like Cipro?

join