It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

51% See Occupy Wall Street Protesters As Public Nuisance

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktherer

And that all goes back to the government, not wall street.
This is where the major fail of OWS comes in.
You can't fix anything until you fix government.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

There's already an occupy d.c encampment. On January 17Th people from across the nation are going to gather there and "occupy Congress", stay tuned. That's the major win of ows it sparked a national awakening there's occupations everywhere.
edit on 9-1-2012 by jacktherer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
So basically it's the slogan "Occupy Wall Street" that you have a major beef with right? Because you cannot make the argument that OWS is fighting Wall street and wall street only as evidenced by their list of demands as well as people from the movement themselves saying otherwise until they turned blue.

They should do a poll on presumptions and myths held of those "51%". Examples of such gems are:

"OWS back Obama"
"OWS is a movement of anarchists and communists"
"OWS is completely funded by Soros (moveon.org)"
"OWS gives no clear message"
"OWS wants big government"
"OWS wants hand outs"
"OWS is about only about Wall Street, government is fine"

I'm sure I can list about another 5 or so more if you want.

edit on 9-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktherer

The day they get 10's of thousands to "occupy DC" and actually have a clear and concise message and plan for reforming our corrupt government, that's the day I will join them and stand proud. Until then, I will view them exactly as I have stated.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

-/+ 3%, questions

Well within the margin of error hehe, seems to be overlooked by the OP

Well this is not a 51/49 winner take all contest. I wouldn’t be gloating if half the country wanted my movement to cease and desist!!

OWS is sad!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Again, how do you get half the country off of 503 people? Even if it were half the country, I don't care. I'm not in it to be popular, I'm in it to fight the injustice and inequality I see coming from the people I pay to represent me.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I don't think anyone is gloating. 51% (or 54 or 48) is hardly substantial in any sense of the word. If you held a poll on any number of subjects you will get different opinions. Run a poll and pick 1000 "random" people and ask them which they prefer hotdogs or cheeseburgers and you'll probably get the same result.

Why the need to post this on a thread? Seems to me you are the one trying to gloat but do so without any valid reasonings. So not everyone likes the OWS, so what else is new? How many like the Tea Party? Does that matter to the ones actively involved? Are any Tea Partiers going to get the feelings hurt and go home because most of America doesn't have a clue (nor do they care)? I doubt it. The fact remains most Americans are clueless and are swayed by pundits, MSM and other lemmings. The only way to appeal to them is to have 3 word slogans as to not complicate things too much.

Thankfully I hold ATS to a much higher standard, and hopefully in given time enough people will wake up to what is happening all around them. Bless the Tea Party and Bless OWS for bringing up issues that must be addressed, regardless whether I agree with any of them 100%.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by haarvik

Asking for 10s of thousands is wishful thinking however we have a pretty clear message

www.nycga.net...

Dunno if you've read this. And we also had a proposal come to the ga last night asking for feedback on a list of visions

www.nycga.net...

It's not your fault if this is news to you without the physical forum we had at liberty plaza it's been fairly easy for the mainstream to black us out

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by seabag

I don't think anyone is gloating. 51% (or 54 or 48) is hardly substantial in any sense of the word. If you held a poll on any number of subjects you will get different opinions. Run a poll and pick 1000 "random" people and ask them which they prefer hotdogs or cheeseburgers and you'll probably get the same result.

Why the need to post this on a thread? Seems to me you are the one trying to gloat but do so without any valid reasonings. So not everyone likes the OWS, so what else is new? How many like the Tea Party? Does that matter to the ones actively involved? Are any Tea Partiers going to get the feelings hurt and go home because most of America doesn't have a clue (nor do they care)? I doubt it. The fact remains most Americans are clueless and are swayed by pundits, MSM and other lemmings. The only way to appeal to them is to have 3 word slogans as to not complicate things too much.

Thankfully I hold ATS to a much higher standard, and hopefully in given time enough people will wake up to what is happening all around them. Bless the Tea Party and Bless OWS for bringing up issues that must be addressed, regardless whether I agree with any of them 100%.

I wrote the OP because the polls indicate a lack of support for OWS. I oppose the disgusting acts perpetrated by OWS’ers in the name of Americans.

Though most Americans are displeased at the state of affairs, very few support the outrageous actions we’ve seen out of this group. I hate the fact that our government is in bed with Wall Street too. That doesn’t mean I condone taking a dump on a cop car, relieving myself in the streets, burning trash cans, throwing rocks at police, talking people down, disrupting public speeches (what happened to Ron Paul and Mitt’s free speech), blocking people from going to work, and general civil disobedience.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
reply to post by seabag

I wrote the OP because the polls indicate a lack of support for OWS. I oppose the disgusting acts perpetrated by OWS’ers in the name of Americans.

Though most Americans are displeased at the state of affairs, very few support the outrageous actions we’ve seen out of this group. I hate the fact that our government is in bed with Wall Street too. That doesn’t mean I condone taking a dump on a cop car, relieving myself in the streets, burning trash cans, throwing rocks at police, talking people down, disrupting public speeches (what happened to Ron Paul and Mitt’s free speech), blocking people from going to work, and general civil disobedience.

I think several OWSers would agree with you with some of the things you mentioned. Those isolated cases do not represent the whole however. What % of OWS protesters took a dump on cops cars? Think about that for a moment here. Disrupting public speeches happen all the time, tea partiers did it, Ron Paul supporters do it to other candidates and the president as well. Talking people down, sorry don't get that one. Blocking people from going to work, yeah I don't agree with that either but I don't agree with cattle bins they like to put people in either (freedom of peaceful assembly). Throwing rocks at police officers, while I don't believe that is the proper way nor a winning battle I don't blame them either. 95% of the time it's the police that get violent first, and usually unnecessarily so (complete disregard to THEIR RIGHTS).

The final point - civil disobedience - I truly disagree with you on that point. That's the only thing we have left IMO. I don't believe in violent civil disobedience, I believe in non-participation. What the hell is civil "disobedience" anyway? Since when does The People need to be obedient to The State. Shouldn't it be the other way around according to our constitution?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Man, there have been a lot of serious issues raised by movements and OWS and instead we are talking about the outrage of somebody taking a dump on a cop car. Big deal!

I guess its better to steal from the average American to bail out the banksters than it is to upset moralists upset by somebody taking a crap in public....

Judging by the lack of flags here, it would seem that even if support for OWS is down, hate for OWS - except from the extremists, is down too.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

-/+ 3%, questions

Well within the margin of error hehe, seems to be overlooked by the OP

Well this is not a 51/49 winner take all contest. I wouldn’t be gloating if half the country wanted my movement to cease and desist!!

OWS is sad!

150,000,000 people behind you would take the wind out of your sails?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

It's an occupation...there is a reason it's not nice. It's supposed to be disruptive. The masses need to unify against the evil of the world. It's so goddamn simple to solve the problem but people fear success. Imagine a world with a stable food supply and free healthcare to all...

Would you rather nobody say anything and let it all pass?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Here's the questions they asked on the poll.

1* How closely have you followed recent news reports about the Occupy protests on Wall Street and in other parts of the country?

Seeing how the MSM had done it's best to ignore OWS how were we supposed to?

2* Do you have a very favorable, somewhat favorable, somewhat unfavorable or very unfavorable impression of the Occupy Wall Street protesters?

3* Which is closer to your point of view – The Occupy Wall Street protesters are a valid protest movement representing the frustrations of most Americans, or the Occupy Wall Street protesters have become a public nuisance?

Seeing how any sane person should be pissed at how wall street ripped America off I would say valid protest.

4* Will the Occupy Wall Street movement help or hurt the Democrat Party in the 2012 Elections?

Guess no Republicans are running this year.

5* Have the Occupy Wall Street protesters gotten their message across to the American people?

Only to a limited few you know anyone smart enough to turn off FOX.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

Judging by the lack of flags here, it would seem that even if support for OWS is down, hate for OWS - except from the extremists, is down too.

touche!!

You may be right?? Or...maybe I'm one of the few left on ATS who has the energy left to refute the endless excuses, like the ones you made??

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
51% still believe voting counts, Congress and the President have control of the country, and that Wars are waged for oil and spreading freedom dust. If people are getting annoyed with Occupy, then it's working, otherwise they're just people in a park. For notice to be taken, for change to be kickstarted, some tail feathers are going to have to get ruffled.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So what? 80% see professional sports as being important in their daily lives. 78% see the fictional character of jesus as their spiritual savior and claim to know the secrets of the universe. So who really gives a crap about what a group of people think, when many groups think such idiotic things?

I'm not saying OWS is an important movement; in fact I think its mostly useless apart from proving that peaceful protest will ultimately fail in the face of a non-peaceful enemy. The point is though, who really cares what a bunch of random people think? How is it relevant to...well, anything? You can use numbers like that to predict certain events, like elections and so forth, but as far as proving an actual point in an argument or debate, its absolutely meaningless.

I mean, really all you are saying is "hey look at me, a lot of people agree with my opinion, aren't I great."
edit on 9-1-2012 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I wonder how many of that 51% are just getting their info on OWS from trusted sources like Fox news.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
And for the 1 trillionth time...99% doesn't not mean 99% of the population. It means the 99% who control 47% of the wealth compared to the 1% who control 53% of the wealth.

Okay, that is a totally new and different definition for me. I admit with the hectic times of the Holidays, I have been remiss in following Occupy as closely as I was for a few months. However, I seem to recall as recently as a few weeks ago, the police being yelled at to remember they too were among the 99%.

It seems almost everyone....used to be....the 99%. I personally tried to get the message out about the 99% being the entire community around us in St Louis. I never heard it broken down with qualifications and caveats.

Ouch.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join