It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Locks Down 45,000 Accounts To Stop 'Worm' Spreading

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Facebook Locks Down 45,000 Accounts To Stop 'Worm' Spreading

beforeitsnews.com

Facebook has acted to stop the spread of a new variety of malicious software that has stolen login details from 45,000 mostly British and French users.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theblogismine.com
www.inquisitr.com

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Whether this is a spurious attack on the web by some bored cyber punks, or a tactic developed by 'hacktivists', this is a sign that people are willing to go further and further to garner attention and cause damage. First a couple of random homemade web pages, then popular blogs, then Facebook...next will be banks, government centers, and police headquarters falling under attack. What's next? And will we be safe?

beforeitsnews.com

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow this is going to be a real shock for some people, they might have to actually talk to people for real for a change. Who knows even work productivity might go up a bit

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Just checked my fb lol glad i aren't one of them.I once did get phished though i fell for a zenga poker scam and got a virus on my pc.and every time i typed Facebook.com into my browser a fake Facebook page would appear trying to get me to enter my details
edit on 8-1-2012 by SupersonicSerpent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Whether this is a spurious attack on the web by some bored cyber punks, or a tactic developed by 'hacktivists', this is a sign that people are willing to go further and further to garner attention and cause damage. First a couple of random homemade web pages, then popular blogs, then Facebook...next will be banks, government centers, and police headquarters falling under attack. What's next? And will we be safe?

beforeitsnews.com

Thats kind of confusing, are you suggesting that hacking websites is relatively new and that we haven't seen the full extent of what people are willing to hack?

Im pretty sure banks, government center, and police headquarters have already been attacked by hackers. Somehow they all manage to remain working and life has continued to go on. The internet is almost 20 years old, if not older. I wouldn't grab your bug out bag quite yet.
edit on 1/8/2012 by sputniksteve because: bag not back

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Thanks for the news S&F. It does seem that hacking has been glorified lately. Through this the internet is becoming the wild west. With every body trying there hand at it i worry about the motives ether way or details are not safe be smart people.

Peace indisputable

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Maybe they should lock down all fb accounts. Then some of the kids willget out and see the outside for once. Im not against fb, i just think ithas replaced REAL social interaction a little too much.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
S+F: great! People are too dependent on Facebook and other social networking sites to communicate with each other. On the other side of the coin, however, it is inevitable that a virus or two will sweep through every major website once and a while. After all, it has any sort of microchip or motherboard, it begs to be hacked.

Just my two somber cents,
Seraph
edit on 8-1-2012 by seraphnb because: somber, not sober

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

As far as hypocrisies go that's a good one posting that on ATS. The reason why people rely on these sights is because more people will view their opinions and ideologies. MSM has made us feel safer in our own home by using fear to cause distrust in humanity. What ever happened to benefit of doubt?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

We aren't safe now. Safety is merely an illusion. In real life and the cyber world.

2nd line.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

beforeitsnews.com

You might have a point IF this were indeed coming from outside of FB. I have my doubts.

Since FB is interwoven with all accounts, why only 45,000? This seems strange. To me, this would mean that these 45,000 are located on an entirely separate server from the rest. Maybe?

In my limited knowledge of such things, I would think that if 1 account is infected, all are infected.

Just throwing it out there.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Now they just need to lock down the rest of them, permanently.

FB will be the death of us.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IronNuts

I think you misunderstood me: when I said:

Originally posted by seraphnb
People are too dependent on Facebook and other social networking sites to communicate with each other.

I was not referring to ATS or any other forum. I was talking about Facebook. My personal experience on Facebook is that it is mostly full of mindless people who use it to get attention, gossip and waste time, not to invaluably discuss their and each other's opinions and ideologies. Indeed, I wish it were so!

As always, I hope I did not offend anybody in this response; if I did, it was unintentional.

Just clearing things up,
Seraph
edit on 8-1-2012 by seraphnb because: formatting

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

I can't do nothing but chuckle at the mindset of the OP and some other posters.

I think censorship under SOPA is a much bigger threat than getting your Facebook hacked.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

Yes, sorry for misinterpretating, I just classify ATS as a social network as we are a social group. It's like any language, there are millions of ways to string words together to express ones thoughts, and a billion ways to decypher them.
edit on 8-1-2012 by IronNuts because: Poor grammar

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Facebook as Google+ as twitter, as everything within the net, are tools and tools are used according to the user's needs or want's. As one person would use a hammer to fix a door another would use a hammer to break his eggs for morning breakfast, its all a matter of individual wants and needs.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Another reason shutting my fb down was a good idea. The real reason; my life was beginning to revolve around my fake farm and what time my crops were gonna be ready. I know RIDICULOUS! ha ha

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ops4Ops
Another reason shutting my fb down was a good idea. The real reason; my life was beginning to revolve around my fake farm and what time my crops were gonna be ready. I know RIDICULOUS! ha ha

oh hey..my friends wife she actually made the time to create false fb accounts so apparently she can have more friends for that farm thing you mentioned... was like whaaaat the hell are you talking about, i can understand fake accounts to push or promote a brand..but to build a farm...!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
We aren't safe now. Safety is merely an illusion. In real life and the cyber world.

2nd line.
You take a risk every time you cross the street. Always have, so I'm not sure what "now" means?

You can't eliminate all risk entirely but you CAN affect how much you're exposed to.

For example, the people who don't have facebook accounts aren't affected by this risk at all.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by cenpuppie

I can't do nothing but chuckle at the mindset of the OP and some other posters.

I think censorship under SOPA is a much bigger threat than getting your Facebook hacked.

Maybe it's a test to see what happens when you take away fb from a whole section of a community.

A trial run before SOPA kicks in. They wanna see how folk react and what they do instead.

I don't understand why they shut down only 45,000 when there are millions of accounts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join