It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer cop released after 11 months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Less than a year after going behind bars, the San Francisco, California police officer convicted of killing an unarmed man from point-blank range has been released from prison.

Bay Area Rapid Transit Police Officer Johannes Mehserle was sentenced in July 2010 for involuntary manslaughter after fatally shooting 22-year-old Oscar Grant on an Oakland train platform on New Year’s Day 2009. At 12:01 Monday morning, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said he was freed.

Link to article
edit on 8-1-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Jan 8 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: edit title to reflect source title

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Why do I feel like I have dejavu? Oh right, you post many threads with links to articles, a short snippet and offer no opinion at all.

Of course...

Great link. Woohoo

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Good catch on this topic.
While I do not feel the officer killed this man intentionally, I definately feel justice has not been served by far.
I'm sure the family will get a cash settlement that will take a bit of the edge off, the officer should have done alot more time.
But 11 months? for killing someone?
If it were anyone else who had no financial backing or a union lawyer, they would still be in prison for a long time to come.
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, considering what happened in the L.A. riots in the 90's.
Let's see if common man will turn on common man again, or have we learned?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
one day the police will realize that they are a part of the 98% with US (hopefully)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

While I do not feel the officer killed this man intentionally, I definately feel justice has not been served by far.

I believe (if I remember this story correctly) the officer thought he had his taser out and not his gun. Or he claimed that at least.

Here is the problem.
-
He is trained to know better.

Another problem? If someone unintentionally kills someone and is at fault, they will serve more than what the officer received. Whether it be careless driving or failure to operate a firearm safely. Of course there are always accidents, but complete negligence is something entirely different. This was complete negligence.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Ive lived my life being the target of police. Im white yes right what have i dealt with. Nothing less than looking the part being arrested and charged so many times. No matter where i go it all catches up. I was a troubled youth not bad didnt hurt a soul. But im 32 and im scared of cops. All it means in my life when i see them is im going to goto to a cage for months away from my family. Might be because i have a light out but most the time its cause they run my plates. Well at 28 i started to learn and im done with them. dude scum work that job. o i had cop "friends" but they always showed there true colors. THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOU we need more of this even from sellouts in our day youtu.be...

edit on 8-1-2012 by Hylion169 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It would not surprise me if the guy gets another job as a cop in some municipality on the East Coast one day.

He'll cover his tracks and use an alias.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

And if it was the other way round and the cop got killed he would have got life or even worse. Disgusting. It just shows, if you have a peice of metal in your wallet the shape of a badge you can kill any citizen you like.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
There in lies the problem, one sentence for the Police if they are found guilty of murdering someone and another sentence for individuals who are not Police Officers who are found guilty of murdering someone.

A Complete joke the Justice in the USA.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hylion169
Ive lived my life being the target of police. Im white yes right what have i dealt with. Nothing less than looking the part being arrested and charged so many times. No matter where i go it all catches up. I was a troubled youth not bad didnt hurt a soul. But im 32 and im scared of cops. All it means in my life when i see them is im going to goto to a cage for months away from my family. Might be because i have a light out but most the time its cause they run my plates. Well at 28 i started to learn and im done with them. dude scum work that job. o i had cop "friends" but they always showed there true colors. THEY ARE OUT TO GET YOU we need more of this even from sellouts in our day youtu.be...

edit on 8-1-2012 by Hylion169 because: (no reason given)

Holy...what did you say? If you communicate verbally as poorly as you do visually I am not surprised you have issues when talking to law enforcement officers. They probably get pretty frustrated pretty quickly, and that seems to end bad for you.

Originally posted by Hylion169
Im white yes right what have i dealt with.

Completely at a loss on that one.

top topics

join