It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran describes US Navy rescue as 'humanitarian'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Iran has described the US Navy's rescue of 13 Iranian fishermen held by Somali pirates as a "humanitarian gesture".

Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said his country had also rescued foreign sailors from pirates on occasion. But he said such acts did not affect overall relations between countries.

The Americans say they freed the Iranian fishermen in the Arabian Sea after more than a month in captivity, and provided fuel and food for them to return home.

The rescue was carried out by forces assigned to the John C Stennis aircraft carrier group, which recently left the Gulf to assist US military operations in Afghanistan.

According to a New York Times reporter who boarded the captured Al Molai with the US forces, the Iranian fishermen expressed great gratitude for their rescue, with one saying: "It is like you were sent by God." But Iran's Fars news agency expressed suspicion about the operation, saying it was "like a Hollywood film" which "seems to have been pre-organised".

Earlier in the week, the US rejected an Iranian warning to keep its forces out of Gulf waters after Western powers unveiled new sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme.

Source

All this doom and gloom is nice and all, but how about some good news for a change?

edit on 1/7/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Thanks for the follow-up on this to show the Iranian reaction. I am awfully happy to see even the Iranian Government can take just a moment to acknowledge we didn't HAVE to do this...it's just what we do, and it was humanitarian.

I bet those Iranian we pulled out of Pirate control won't be faces we see at the next "Death to America" rally in Tehran!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Got me thinking, all this fear mongering and propaganda and finger pointing from both sides of the fence... and for what?

This "war on terror" has only terrified people into distrusting each other. Divide and conquer.

It's nice to see some order among the chaos.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

Indeed... and it's good to see some people aren't so blinded by the propaganda flowing from all directions that acts of humanity and decency like this get missed. In the end, we're all people on this big rock together.... If only we could get the bozos in leadership to realize and agree with that basic truth.

Until then.. stories like this keep the rest of us reminded of it.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There are no "Death to America" rallies in Iran. They are pro-Ahmadinejad rallies, and every time a fringe minority comes out with their inflammatory signs. Kinda like the White Power fringe you see here in the West.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

But Iran's Fars news agency expressed suspicion about the operation, saying it was "like a Hollywood film" which "seems to have been pre-organised".

My thoughts on this are described above. Just like EVERYTHING the US government does, it was pre-organized. This was set up to look like we are the good guys. EVERYONE including americans are down on the US as of late. The US needs to do this to look like the "good guys" before they unleash the coming attacks on Iran. Im not buyin it

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
See what can happen without politicians. IMO,it is time to get rid of all politicians as they are nothing but liars anyway. I'll bet the US wardawgs are just biting at the bit over this one
. You know how us mushrooms feel, kept in the dark and fed S**T

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

But Iran's Fars news agency expressed suspicion about the operation, saying it was "like a Hollywood film" which "seems to have been pre-organised".

My thoughts on this are described above. Just like EVERYTHING the US government does, it was pre-organized. This was set up to look like we are the good guys. EVERYONE including americans are down on the US as of late. The US needs to do this to look like the "good guys" before they unleash the coming attacks on Iran. Im not buyin it

Maybe you are correct, maybe not.

What I am asking is have we been so terrified into thinking that "they" are out to get us that we can no longer view kind acts as they are, without having ulterior motives?

The war of terror has not only been waged against them, it has been waged against us.

Has our own darkness truly blinded us from seeing the light?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

At the end of the day the soldiers and the fishermen are human beings. Governments are the real problem not the people.

I bet the average person in Iran is pretty nice just like the average American. But we want what they are standing on top of. And nothing will stop us from getting it.

Why not just end our need for this blood oil? WHY

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It's the governments of countries who cause conflict not the people. The people of the world are just pawns. They create hate and use us to sacrifice our lives for their selfish chess game.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

To go one step farther it is the corporations behind the governments causing the real problem. Let the flow of money stop and the problems will vanish.

We need to take all the money out and let leaders lead instead of following.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It's nice to see a positive story from that part of the world for once.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There are no "Death to America" rallies in Iran. They are pro-Ahmadinejad rallies, and every time a fringe minority comes out with their inflammatory signs. Kinda like the White Power fringe you see here in the West.

Okay, next someone is going to start trying to say the 1979 take over of the Embassy and 400 days of holding the Embassy Staff hostage was just an innocent misunderstanding that got out of hand.

I'm looking at this with an open mind, but not so open my brain falls out. Some of what is being said in the way of making Iran look good is getting a bit absurd. They most definitively have anti-west and anti-American protests and it's Death to America signs...or Death to Israel...or maybe just Death to the Great Satan. That's an original one, eh? I've been watching these happen since i was a kid in the 1980's. This really isn't a theory. Hmm..

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Hey! You imaginative (or knowledgeable) ATSers! I need a word. Something about 3/4 sad and 1/4 angry, because that's what I think Iran needs in this situation.

This rescue was an "Event." It was something special, it could have changed history, but instead of using it, the opportunity was tossed away.

But he said such acts did not affect overall relations between countries.

the Iranian fishermen expressed great gratitude for their rescue, with one saying: "It is like you were sent by God." But Iran's Fars news agency expressed suspicion about the operation, saying it was "like a Hollywood film" which "seems to have been pre-organised."

I can imagine the speech I wanted to hear from Iran:

"In the name of Allah, the most merciful, we give thanks for the safe return of our brothers and countrymen who were attacked in open water. Thanks to Allah's power, there were ships nearby which defeated the forces of piracy.

These ships held men who are People of the Book, as we are, and their good deed will receive Allah's blessing. In thanks for their efforts, we will host a dinner at the Palace for the officers of that ship. We welcome them as Allah's creatures engaged in fighting evil, even as we are."

Could you have done even that little thing? What doors your gesture could open! We could have taken a step together towards peace.

But he said such acts did not affect overall relations between countries.

So ATSers, what word fits here?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Self-righteous, comes to mind.

I agree it definitely looks like we have a missed opportunity here. Both the US and Iran are out for foreign interests and financial/territorial gain, and at the end of the day if one side plays a peace card it gets written off as propaganda and thrown away.

You don't have any media telling you the stuff that could actually keep the nations from going to war. Peace produces no profit in a material world such as ours.

Though I'm willing to bet those Somalian pirates dropped some phat loot.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Dear DarkKnight21,

I get confused easily, please check my signature.

Are you saying that Iran is self-righteous, or I am?

And, I may be wrong, but it sounds as if you're saying that both sides want war. The US motivation is? Transferring tax dollars to armament companies? But, we're cutting our military, it's been declared to be bloated.

How does Iran profit by going to war? Territorial gain? What territory? Israel? Wouldn't Iran get a financial profit from trying for peace? That might end sanctions and open up markets for them.

If both sides want war, they've had plenty of opportunities. I don't know why Iran would have waited. After all, we were busy in other parts of the Mid-East.

And what does Iran lose by making such a speech? Their reputation for craziness would be reduced, talks would buy time for them, the UN would love it. What's the problem?

Any help you can give me with this would be appreciated.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Charles,

My "self-righteous" comment was in response to your question about Iran, it was not targeted at you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

You are right that a speech such as yours would have shown signs of an unclenched fist. In reality we have both the US and Iran "agreeing" for peace yet stockpiling weapons on a mass scale. The US budget cut spending to the military, yes, but the budget still overwhelmingly emphasizes "defense" over other areas.

War is desired by both sides because war creates jobs. It was WW2 that actually got the US out of a depression, not FDR's programs, which we are seeing the failed repercussions of today (ie. social security).

If both sides want war, they've had plenty of opportunities. I don't know why Iran would have waited. After all, we were busy in other parts of the Mid-East.

I'm willing to bet that both sides are ready and willing, but are just waiting for the other to attack in order to gain the unanimous support of their country and the world. Until then expect to see diplomatic relations such as this one kept in the dark by the mainstream media.
edit on 1/8/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
LMAO at Santorums jab at Ron Paul last night... "If it were up to Ron, we wouldn't have been in the region to save them." Such a weak shot...

I'm glad he thinks a few saved from pirates is worth billions of dollars and thousands of lives sacrificed for being in the region. Trust me, if 13 Americans were captured by pirates that Ronny would have the Seals all over them.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Dear DarkKnight21,

Then it appears there is no hope. Thus, my avatar.

I don't completely agree with you on the size of the defense budget, but that seems to be a trivial matter.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The sentiments expressed by many on this thread, are exactly the sentiments Ron Paul expressed about this event in the debate on Saturday evening in NH. It seems Ron Paul "gets it", too bad none of the other war-hawk candidates of both parties don't "get it".
Yes, we are all humans, and no SANE person wants war, when the alternative is to respect each other, but one side must take the first step, and it must be a deliberate step. The rescue of the Iranians was a very decent act, but we need to go further. Ron Paul knows that, and unfortunately, that is why the Military/Industrial is doing everything it can to diminish and ridicule Ron Paul. He is a threat to the PTB and their peddling of death and destruction, all to benefit the "chosen few".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join