It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Someone Launch a DDoS Attack to Protect Symantec Source Code?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Did Someone Launch a DDoS Attack to Protect Symantec Source Code?

blogs.cio.com

A site used by hackers to expose source code for two of Symantec’s enterprise security programs has been hit by two denial of service attacks this week.

Pastebin.com, a text-file sharing service popular with both legitimate and criminal hackers, was taken down on Tuesday and Thursday. The site was used to announce the theft and future publication of source code for two of Symantec’s enterprise security programs: Endpoint Protection 11.0 and Antivirus 10.2. Symantec has confirmed ......
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

oh ..i do smell a bitch fight coming on and one that's going to drag in several other leading giants...whaaaat a ddos attack on pastebin...rofl cats indeed. Is someone actually asking to be hit so as to come crying as did microsoft and google to the number one national security agency for funds and assistance... oh i think so.

blogs.cio.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
But you all well those with a sense of humor must admit how they reacted was a total win...

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Pretty interesting, it could be a vengeful script kiddy for all we know

Within alot of "cracking" communites these guys tend to hit each other with packets pretty often... kind of similar to battleships.

But seeing as this is a conspiracy based site; i'll put what i'm thinking right now.

What you have to consider is that the people who supposedly got access to the source code for Norton/Symantec... they found it after breaking into a network owned by the indian government. It evens seems their government has a signed agreement to have access to Symantec's code.

You have to ask, why is a government having full access to source code of a proprietary anti-virus product? I would place a fair bet to say if Symantec are hand in hand with a few other governments around the world aswell... Possibly there are other anti virus vendors being in full compliance in giving source code to governments too. It's easy enough to believe that there is a big big problem happening as we speak

That problem is 1984. Surveilance of the population... how easy would it be to make an undetectable (for specific anti-virus') program that can be used for spying on the population.

The only reason you would want to obtain source code for an anti virus is to write one yourself via studying existing code and the possibility of improving it for personal use... or wait for it: cheating your way around detection.

This is also why i haven't used microsoft windows (or any other propietary product) in quite a few years now. Who's to say if such a small company as Symantec (when compared to microsoft) are giving their products code to government's... why would i not believe they have the complete code to Windows and OS X for example?

Security through obscurity does not work, it allows people to add flaws on purpose without anyone knowing.... unless the source code gets leaked, and there is an "obviosu" flaw introduced.

Stuxnet.
Duqu.

Need i say more

So i'm sat here thinking this is bigger than just a script kiddy pingflood taking their site offline for a while... because of the fact the leaked code came from a government source. There's a possibility someone bigger is trying to shut them up... could even be the indian government (no idea if they have a "cyber force" as some other countries do, but its plausible lol).

PS
Just came across this:
http:///7Yq5QREz

They state they are under pressure from the US / Indian governments by attempting to censoring them, could be possible someone asked pastebin to disable their search feature... And there are links to a few images of indian documents about "spy programs".. maybe i wasn't too far off.

edit on 6/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

hadn't seen that you posted it up, well yeah sure places or sites like this are going to draw alot of heat during '12, internet censorship and taxes are right around the corner.
edit on 6-1-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I thought their code when it worked, was a personal "denial of service" system.

Buy a fast PC with OS. Install Sxxxxxxx product/s & nothing else. PC is now suddenly slow. Pay for months of support online, two days later, malicious site messes with PC date. Product license (& protection) now no longer active. Malicious site now installs malware on unprotected system. Product now does nothing and must somehow be fully uninstalled (which it won't do as it is broken) before it can be reinstated and system can be cleaned up again.

edit on 6/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I thought their code when it worked, was a personal "denial of service" system.

Buy a fast PC with OS. Install Sxxxxxxx product/s & nothing else. PC is now suddenly slow. Pay for months of support online, two days later, malicious site messes with PC date. Product license (& protection) now no longer active. Malicious site now installs malware on unprotected system. Product now does nothing and must somehow be fully uninstalled (which it won't do as it is broken) before it can be reinstated and system can be cleaned up again.

edit on 6/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

Have been there on many occasions, totally feel what your saying and its so frustrating..so i feel for you..believe i know.!

top topics

join