It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China cuts two-thirds of popular television shows

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Never Despise

China cuts two-thirds of popular television shows

www.telegraph.co.uk

An order to curb "excessive entertainment" on television came into force on Jan 1. In response, the number of scheduled entertainment programmes has dipped sharply from 126 a week to just 38...

...Xinhua added that "vulgar" and "low taste" broadcasting was being removed from the schedules, in the latest example of government interference in China's private sector.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Voice of America
www.cbc.ca
www.dailymail.co.uk

edit on 5-1-2012 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

The Chinese have witnessed what happened in the west, with the culture dictating value systems, and have decided this is a negative thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen. I don't really see a problem with the decision, given the context.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
38 shows??? Thats not that bad.. There is only a hand full of shows I consider entertaining.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
while i agree that tv can be offensive,
there's a reason you can change channels.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
while i agree that tv can be offensive,
there's a reason you can change channels.

It would be pretty difficult to argue that the existence of degrading television doesn't alter the value system of society on the whole, regardless of any alleged "free will choice". We can study behaviorism and hypnotism in order to understand that better.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Considering thew differences between chinese and western tv, i wonder how many adverts are flighted during the programs?

I don't have a tv ... and even my kids agree they're better off without it.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't see how regulating entertainment interferes with the right to freedom of speech, especially if the regulation is simply in regards to obscenity. Entertainment is just a product.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

I realise china is blasted for it's supposed censorship methods... although to me this is actually a decent deed. I wouldn't call it censorship as some news outlets are doing. It's mroe of a crackdown on making the nation smarter as a whole.

Honestly, has anyone learnt anything useful by watching the X-Factor or Big Brother? I find that watching paint dry is more educational.

The actual kinds of TV shows being cut from the air is the reality crap we are all used to in the west. Vulgar, low taste programming would include the following for me:

Blind Date
Big Brother
I'm a celeberity get me out of here
X-Factor
Pop Idol

(among many others that i would never dare to watch)

I'm sure some people actually enjoy these shows, but as an opinion of taste... i really cannot stand these shows and i feel they dumb down society.

I'm all for TV having more educational and historical programs on the country's programming schedule. People seem to forget that the world we are living in, is the important one. All that reality TV shows do is alienate people from society and turn them into boxed brains. We should all be learning from our mistakes in history and gaining knowledge that matters.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Good.. hope most was the rubbish western shows that get exported abroad.. china is better off without the greed and materialism of the west.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I don't watch TV, but many do. Aside from what I think of most of the media and how I always wanted better shows, I am failing to understand how anyone is OK with the idea of a Government dictating what you can create, make or watch within some guidelines.

I don't stand under anyone and have already spent years very critical of the control and crapola shows, that lacked female writers, sensitivity and intelligence, and wanted them to be our creations, ie. our students, our college kids creating shows and good things that I might enjoy watching Not the elite.

So uh, no. I hope every citizen of this planet stops supporting any form of Big Daddy and starts to gain freedom and empowerment.

The words that were evil began with "the government decided". I don't hire pens or mouths, just ears.
edit on 6-1-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
So, is this what ATS has come to? Advocating blatant censorship as a good thing? What happened to personal responsibility and freedom? Control freaks make me sick.

Just dont complain when SOPA and even tougher bills pass in the future. You have NO moral right to..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
So, is this what ATS has come to? Advocating blatant censorship as a good thing? What happened to personal responsibility and freedom? Control freaks make me sick.

Just dont complain when SOPA and even tougher bills pass in the future. You have NO moral right to..

brainwashed.

it's scary to watch it in real time.
people have free will for a reason, it goes hand in hand with the remote control and your feet, eyes, etc.
can you hear marxism sneaking up behind you wearing your daddy's clothes, trying to be your conscious for you?
edit on 6-1-2012 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Seems China is trying to save its culture.But sadly its too late already.Most youngsters have left their buddhist and christian values and accepted the blasphemous western entertainment and fashion system.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Do you realise that entertainment media is full of satanic subversion,symbology and jewish controlled hollywood propaganda meant to destroy society and the family system?

edit on 6-1-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well, the problem is that in axing what the Chinese officials may consider to be "poor" entertainment, they are to replacing with State approved content and news. Unfortunately, the State-approved badge in China is just a cloak for all pervasive and repression and control. Just one long advert as to why the Chinese Communist Party is fabulous. Just an excuse to continue with the re-writing of history and the present to keep the population down and under control.

To draw parallels with the liberal West is silly. In the West you can chose what to watch. If you want to watch (crap) telly, then who's the judge that you cannot. It is patronising to judge people by the fact that they enjoy what you may consider to be rubbish. It may well be rubbish – in your opinion.

This is just one more tentacle being deployed by the Chinese Authorities to repress and subdue a population. Don’t forget that China has a highly authoritarian government which guffs in the face of human rights.

Regards

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
They are just lucky they didn't confiscate all the TV set's.....

Cause they could........

And ya'll know they would if'n they ought'nt too.....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by Maslo

Do you realise that entertainment media is full of satanic subversion,symbology and jewish controlled hollywood propaganda meant to destroy society and the family system?

edit on 6-1-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

Do you realize that remote controllers contain "off" and "change the channel" buttons? Censorship is more dangerous for society than any entertainment program.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

yada yada.

If its satanic crap to be censored I am all for it.damn those who sympathise with Satan.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by Maslo

yada yada.

If its satanic crap to be censored I am all for it.damn those who sympathise with Satan.

Satan is a myth.
And what gives you the right to decide for those who enjoy satanic entertainment?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join