It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China cuts two-thirds of popular television shows

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Heck...the way I see it. If the US would cut this many programs, Canada would go broke. And I would miss Holmes on Homes. That guy is the canuk (not ment to be disrespectful if my northern neighbors find that word offensive) Bob Villa. You go Mike.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Cutting TV Programs for a "new" Mao Moment.

Hardliners want to keep control.

I could see Internet being banned also.

Maybe this is the start to something big happening in China.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I get how people in the west may want this to happen in their countries but who decides what tv shows are cut? I mean clearly not everyone watches every tv show, its impossible. Also, how do you define a show as contributing to cultural decay? I mean a shows like (insert country here) Idol, sure the auditions are mostly for comic relief imo, but what about the people who actually make it? Young people are inspired by the people who make it continue working on their craft. Shows like desperate housewives provide a lot of criticism of american suburban culture anyway. Greys Anatomy gives people an inside look at the medical profession. And I could go on and on about pretty much any show. I have yet to see a show that does not have some substance to it, outside of shows like crank yankers or impractical jokers. Those are clearly just for laughs, but who doesnt like to laugh?? If we start cutting down tv shows to just what we think people should watch....we would be getting into very murky territory....for the worse.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Amazing to witness the hypocracy of some here.

People that are normally against censorship and state interference, and are big supporters of presonal freedom, freedom of speech and so on, now seem to agree with this blatant censorship, just because they also happen to dislike the stuff that is being censored,

Shame on you, such hypocracy, playing this down, saying it isn´t really censorship.

You are either for censorship or against it, there is no middle road.

Taking the middle road means you are a big fat hypocryte.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
This should happen in America, why? Because there is SO MUCH FILTH on the tube, that it really is starting to make people idiots, even the cartoon shows are so stupid, compared to when I was growing up. Man what a waste for people watching it, this is why I don't have tv for tv, just movies. nothing good on anymore.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
********************* A T T E N T I O N ********************

The topic of this thread is China cuts two-thirds of popular televison shows, not faith issues or each others' personalities. Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

That's why I avoid to watch tv anyways.

and changed over to a more advanced TV with a keyboard that you can talk to....

so what's the difference really?

The problem in this thread is everyone siding with a culture that they support on the surface, but in no way relate to in everyday life....

"I'm glad they took their TV shows....I hate TV too, Good for China"....all the while passing your message along through a smaller, more advanced, TV....

edit on 6-1-2012 by OneEleven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainInstaban

Indeed. There is a good quote:

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

Voltaire

Question to those who support this censorship: Why do you think it will even have the desired effect? Forbidden fruit tastes the best..

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Regardless of how much TV in the West is complete trash, the government needs to keep its nose out of these affairs. It's not for the government to tell us what's the best way to live, or that it's unhealthy. A person should have the right to fill their mind with trash just as they have the right to fill their body with fatty foods or smoke ciggerettes.

As Ron Paul is always saying, we can't save people from themselves. In this "utopian" society, sure, everyone would reject trash TV and prefer something more educational or something. But to give up our civil and God given liberties, and rejecting the persuit of happiness, in this kind of way is just wrong and beyond the scope of what government should be allowed to do.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
When "I love Lucy" first aired, she and Ricky had separate beds, remember? If they were on the same bed for any reason, the rule was, one of them had to have one foot on the floor. Now, people appear to be having intercouse on the television, and all manner of foul language is permitted. It is a statement of the lost of values in our country, and continues the value of "me me me", and the constant obsession with material possessions and being "sexy".

I really can't blame the Chinese for not welcoming American garbage in their homes. But (yes, there's a "but")
are they eliminating "fun" things? Like Dancing with the Stars and other things? They don't want the people to see how wildly capable we are of enjoying our lives?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I can't believe how many people are in agreement with what the Chinese government did. If Obama said he was going to slash 2/3 of TV programs in the country, would you stand for that? TV probably does have many negative effects on society, but I'm not going to let e government say what I can and can't watch

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Any kind of censorship is wrong in my book(aside from snuff movies n pedoflicks). We are clever Monkeys and require freedom and respect from our governments. Pay attention or we may just turn around and hit you with our big stick!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

sofi! i'm shocked that you saiid that considering it has been part of their culture for thousands of years, to treat females as mistakes in nature!

oy, i'm pissed at ya now. i 'll get over it. gimme a few.

My main point was that they framed the 'toddler-death' issue to justify the (later) move to censorship - think they're planning for an as-yet-unidentified crisis and total media control - edited out the 'females traditionally devalued' bit because the post was getting too long and complicated.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

INDEED.

I deplore governmental intervention.

However, essentially, we have an under the table OWNED global government mandated monopoly of propaganda spreading very destructive stuff wholesale for decades.

Part of me thinks that the Chinese are a bit better.

Not always . . . tyranny, nepotism, corruption are rife there.

However, sometimes the leaders really do research an issue and try and arrive at the best choice for the country and the people.

Certainly less absurd TV programming has to be some sort of progress.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
First Michelle Bachman says we need to be more like China. Now several people in this thread are saying that censorship is good, as long as the censorship is censoring things they don't like. You deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule for making such asinine statements.

The America where I grew up got sucked into a Twilight Zone black hole, and this thing is what is left. I don't even recognize you people at all. Who are you?

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Heck more than two-thirds of our TV in the west is utter rubbish, maybe they are going to put on programmes which teach their populace? wouldn't that be better for the people? instead of putting stupid talent shows involving people with no talent.
I agree with the OP on this one, China has done the right thing.
edit on 5-1-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

We used to tolerate and accept a certain agreed to censorship for the sake of raising healthy children and families. Also TV show always tended to have good moral messages and I know they had a good effect on me.

Watching Leave it To Beaver while being raised in a alcoholic and scary uncaring family showed me how to be a Mother when I had my own kids...it really did influence my home. I think these shows which children start watching at a young age shape them much more then most people will admit to.

I think it is an ill and wounded society that feels there should be no boundaries, even tribal living requires what we are now calling censorship but is really moral values.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
while i agree that tv can be offensive,
there's a reason you can change channels.

IMO Even our commercials should be banned as in bad taste and manipulation of young minds...well all minds actually!

Btw have you noticed how all commercials meant for adults are child like and silly cartoons now?

When we stopped so called censorship in the USA we also threw out the baby with the bath water. Families attuned to the new acceptance of anything goes stopped teaching their kids anything at all because that would constitute censoring their wants and snooping in their personal lives!
edit on 6-1-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join