It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO slowing down near ISS Jan 3, 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I really like these 'outer space' UFO sightings because they automatically rule out: airplanes, helicopters, failed rockets, missiles, Chinese lanterns, UAV drones, RC toys, laser lights, strobe lights, search lights, birds, swarms of bees, kites, balloons, moons, planets, stars and CGI hoaxes.

Now of course we're left with satellites, space junk and ice particles but at least were down to only a couple viable options leaving a genuine unidentified flying object out in the lead!

I'm not sure why the ISS light seems to brighten up, almost like a pulsation when this object passes in the background but it makes this that much more interesting.

Also, I do believe this is the same object seen twice as the video is looped.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I know we had an only-just-spotted NEO go past on the 2nd.
It was 5m and 0.6 Lunar distance from earth.
But obviously thats the wrong date.
Might be an explanation though, it the date turns out to be wrong on either in the end..

Other than that, no ideas.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And here are other UFOs from the day before: January 2, 2012
Lot's of activity out there .....out of our sight.

I wonder if NASA will eventually turn off their ISS feed like they did in the 90's with the live Shuttle missions (after they were capturing too many unexplainable UFOs)

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Now of course we're left with satellites, space junk and ice particles but at least were down to only a couple viable options leaving a genuine unidentified flying object out in the lead!

OK so you know what to do.

First rule out satellites, then rule out space junk, then rule out ice particles and then you will be left with a.... UFO.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
I know we had an only-just-spotted NEO go past on the 2nd.
It was 5m and 0.6 Lunar distance from earth.
But obviously thats the wrong date.
Might be an explanation though, it the date turns out to be wrong on either in the end..

Other than that, no ideas.

A near Earth object is very ambiguous although they are intended to depict meteors and asteroids. But technically they're just 'objects' and as far as I'm concerned, these UFOs fit that description too.

And this is not to mention, NEOs don't pulsate or slow down (that I'm aware of anyway) when they come within the proximity of the ISS.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

First rule out satellites, then rule out space junk, then rule out ice particles and then you will be left with a.... UFO

Thanks for your comment but sadly.....how are we to rule anything out? It's not like we can take role call and account for all the space junk/satellites and know exactly where their exact whereabouts were.

So......we're at a complete disadvantage left only with common sense, opinions and some times, math.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Human_Alien because: grammar

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

First rule out satellites, then rule out space junk, then rule out ice particles and then you will be left with a.... UFO.

Thanks for your comment but sadly.....how are we to rule anything out? It's not like we can take role call and account for all the space junk/satellites and where their exact whereabouts that moment.

So......we're at a complete disadvantage left only with common sense, opinions and some times, math.

And there be the answer! hidden within the common sense.

Ice particles

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Probably a satellite?

I think the 'slowing down' is simply an illusion caused by perspective :- the object isn't moving from top left, to centre, a fixed distance in front of you, but from behind you and to your left, to centre (where as it fades into the distance it appears to be moving slower).

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
See? One posters claims ice particles followed by the very next poster who says satellite.

Amazing how we can look at the same event/picture and see different things.

I personally see a craft slowing down .....but that's just me

edit on 4-1-2012 by Human_Alien because: typo

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
First, I want to stress the importance of keeping an eye on the cameras and reporting 'funny' stuff, even in the most pedestrial explanation of 'only' a possible sign of spacecraft malfunction or hazard -- so go for it, guys.

Let me suggest some explanations can be dismissed:

First, 'space junk' -- i've come to the realization that unless it's generated off of the witnessing vehicle itself, it's almost NEVEr involved in any anomalous videos. Here's my FAQ paragraph on that:

Q: How much of it is “space junk”?
A: Very little, actually – if you use the standard definition of “space junk” to mean other satellites and pieces off of them, which constitute an impact hazard to human space missions and automated satellites as well. Because all orbiting objects are moving at tremendous speeds in different directions, when they do pass closely to each other, they zip past at several miles per second. Thus they are extremely difficult to detect visually. Astronauts have observed other distant satellites, but not often, and I have never found a single case of a nearby object turning out to be a passing satellite in independent orbit. Anything that was seen over a period of time longer than a few seconds would have to have been something closely following the observer, and thus associated with the vehicle from which the observation was being made. Now, that's unless it was somebody else’s vehicle deliberately keeping pace, of course. But "space junk" as we commonly use the term? Hardly ever, maybe never.

Second, ice.

This was very common on shuttle missions, but is MUCH RARER on space station external views:

1. Although the station CAN dump waste water, it very rarely does. Most water is recycled, and leftover brine [from urine processing] is loaded into tanks on departing supply drones for burn-up, not sprayed overboard.

2. Frozen propellants from thrusters can also occur, but the Russian segment's thrusters are only occasionally turned on, since the station is mostly oriented by the big gyroscopes on the US truss [no thrusting needed]. The most likely periods of thruster ice is during 'proximity operations' with visiting supply vehicles.

Just my two cents worth for the discussion.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'm not sure why the ISS light seems to brighten up, almost like a pulsation when this object passes in the background but it makes this that much more interesting.

Also, I do believe this is the same object seen twice as the video is looped.

www.youtube.com...

Gosh, but that looks to me like the space shuttle arm, not the station arm.

How can we find out the REAL date this video was made?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Look more carefully, HA. That's the space shuttle payload bay.

Shuttles have been grounded since last July. How could this video have been made this week?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I wonder if NASA will eventually turn off their ISS feed like they did in the 90's with the live Shuttle missions (after they were capturing too many unexplainable UFOs)

I doubt it would'nt be in their interest to, I’m pretty sure they will use at an excuse for more funding.

All we need now is for another country to say they are extending research into the phenomena and will be the first country to solve it. that may just push them into coming out with information they already have.

Now wouldn’t that be awesome

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 4/1/12 by Whateva69 because: oops changed would to wouldnt.. sorry about that

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Shuttles have been grounded since last July. How could this video have been made this week?

Not being versed on the anatomy of the SS (nor its bay), I'd have no idea of knowing this.

So how do you know this? What's giving it away for you? Is there any earmarks that telling you this is the SS and not the ISS?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Are you suggesting that you are comfortable in eliminating space junk and ice?....or are my eyes reading your post the wrong way?

Can you actually be joining the "I have no idea what this can be" side of the discussion? If so, WOW

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg

Not being versed on the anatomy of the SS (nor its bay), I'd have no idea of knowing this.

So how do you know this? What's giving it away for you? Is there any earmarks that telling you this is the SS and not the ISS?

Thanks

Oh. I didn't realize this was you Jim.

Well, my thrill of thinking you were open for discussion, was short lived.But hey, it was fun while it lasted

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by JimOberg

Are you suggesting that you are comfortable in eliminating space junk and ice?....or are my eyes reading your post the wrong way?

Can you actually be joining the "I have no idea what this can be" side of the discussion? If so, WOW

You read it correctly and I hope you ARE thrilled...

Because i've always argued that there were potentially very important phenomena behind SOME of the puzzling video.

This demands that strange stuff be paid attention to, and the prosaic filtered out from whatever remains.

At the very least, visual clues can provide insights into spacecraft malfunction.

Other unknown or poorly known events, both human and natural and 'other', can also provide visual indicators.

Example: Kovalyonok's account of a morphing cloud below him, as he flew over the top secret South African missile test range.

Example: Andy Thomas' hair-raising story of a shimmering red circle sweeping across the ocean surface, associated in some unknown way with a moon mirage.

No postulated stimulus can be a priori ruled out.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

So how do you know this? What's giving it away for you? Is there any earmarks that telling you this is the SS and not the ISS? Thanks

Well, it looks like it, based on watching hundreds of hours of Mission Control video streaming. What's so baffling about that? The ends of the payload bay have a semi-circular upper rim, where the two doors close and latch. This end looks like the forward end because you can see one window [of two] and the structure on the right that disappears after panning up, is the docking module for attaching to ISS.
edit on 4-1-2012 by JimOberg because: add details

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
From my 'astronaut UFO stories' FAQ:

Q: Does NASA view these reports seriously?

A: For safety reasons, at the very least, NASA flight controllers do indeed pay attention, and have been doing so for decades. John Glenn’s report of ‘fireflies’ was closely examined as an indicator of how the cooling system – an externally-mounted ‘flash evaporator’ that used water to cool the capsule – may have been malfunctioning. On Apollo-13, observations of ice particles out the window helped quickly characterize the severity of the cryogenic tank explosion. During Apollo missions, reports and images of what came to be humorously called ‘moon pigeons’ provided clues to the status of critical external components such as heat shields and thermal blankets. A Skylab mission was nearly aborted with a rescue flight when ‘snow’ showed that a thruster was leaking precious fuel. A critical international space rendezvous in 1995 was nearly cancelled because of excessive fuel leaks, observed as ice swarms outside the STS-63 window. Structural pieces of shuttle missions have been observed and closely examined by camera zoom, but the most serious shuttle space failure, the ‘Columbia’ disaster, missed a chance to be forewarned when a hunk of the vital heat shield drifted away but was NOT observed by eyeball or camera. For reasons such as these, strange-looking outside stuff gets the immediate attention of Mission Control – and all in public.

1994 briefing: Mitigation of Hazards of Shuttle-Generated Debris
www.jamesoberg.com...

Apollo-era NASA Study of Anomalous External Objects
www.jamesoberg.com...

Columbia Disaster Warning (2003) – the Unseen ‘UFO’
www.msnbc.msn.com...

MSNBC // June 13, 2008 // Why NASA watches out for true UFOs
today.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

I doubt it would be in their interest to, I’m pretty sure they will use at an excuse for more funding.

All we need now is for another country to say they are extending research into the phenomena and will be the first country to solve it. that may just push them into coming out with information they already have.

Point 1, the 'tape delay to hide UFOs' story is a myth from Richard Hoagland, the shuttle downlink videos came out raw after ground processing delays -- and yes, there was a 'KILL' button that the public affairs officer COULD hit, but there's no evidence they ever did. [I have a picture of their console showing where the button was].

Point 2, didn't you know that Robert Bigelow operated two privately-owned Russian-launched prototype space hotel modules in orbit for a few years, with external-mounted TV cameras? Do you think HE would have concealed any UFOs that were seen?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join