It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when do you call someone Anti-American?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I am in the mood to talk about something absolutely taboo in my country.....USA.....the subject of anti- Americanism.....the whole if you don't like it leave mentality....the whole either your with me or against me thing....

I have had more than my fair share in this life...I don't know why I always attract those people.....they seem to just pick up on the fact I will argue against 911 common thought.....I will never defend the USA in subjects of Vietnam....Guantanamo......Abu grade...etc.....I steer clear of them since I am sincerely tired of it all....but that doesn't mean I will submit to the mass Nationalism in its extreme form in the US as of late...

Am I anti anything if I truly just believe what I do independently from what political point of view I have about the US....like if I am anti war....does that make me anti American because I might not side with pro war people...does that automatically mean I am anti military.....why ?¿?¿?¿?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
I am in the mood to talk about something absolutely taboo in my country.....USA.....the subject of anti- Americanism.....the whole if you don't like it leave mentality....the whole either your with me or against me thing....

I have had more than my fair share in this life...I don't know why I always attract those people.....they seem to just pick up on the fact I will argue against 911 common thought.....I will never defend the USA in subjects of Vietnam....Guantanamo......Abu grade...etc.....I steer clear of them since I am sincerely tired of it all....but that doesn't mean I will submit to the mass Nationalism in its extreme form in the US as of late...

Am I anti anything if I truly just believe what I do independently from what political point of view I have about the US....like if I am anti war....does that make me anti American because I might not side with pro war people...does that automatically mean I am anti military.....why ?¿?¿?¿?

I would not consider you anti-military or anti-American based on what you have said. We as in Americans got whipped up into a frenzy after 911 with blood lust and an unquenchable thirst for some sort of revenge. I myself got caught up in this garbage and if you were not pro war during that time you were seen as anti-American which is absurd.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
My view stands as this; if your actions would do more harm to the majority of Americans than good, your actions can/should be construed as "against America."
Being anti-war doesn't make you anti-American, especially since most wars are anti-American themselves. Being anti-government isn't being anti-American, not when the government has been stripping away and selling off America and her freedoms for so long.

We go to war for mineral or monetary purposes that strengthen the few, while tax payers lose everything. Those waging these wars are anti-American as they do nothing with this stolen wealth that benefits the country. We use legislation to remove people's freedoms because there's a "threat" out there that we created, and we have to be "protected" from this Frankenstein's Monster that is terrorism.

Are you anti-American? No. Am I? No. Are the people that run this country, and the people that run them? Absolutely. How do we fix it? Well that is the $2012 question, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
When someone says, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear, then you call them anti american.

edit on 3-1-2012 by mwuhi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
If i said "NO TO GUNS!" i would be classed Anti-American

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
These days anti-American seems to be anyone and anything who disagrees with what the person calling you anti-American believes.

As far as I am concerned

Anyone who calls another person anti-American..... is anti-American. (that was a little sarcasm there if that wasn't picked up on.)

Anyway, it seems if an argument cannot be convincing enough to others, the fallback is to then call them anti-American. It leaves the person being called that feeling as if maybe, just maybe they are, it closes the mind to thought, it puts a person right back to sleep as then true debate cannot take place only "I am not" "yes you are" like little children on the playground who can't play nicely together.

So, to me if you are a person who uses the "your anti-American" phrase instead of using intelligent debate, then personally I think you ought to shut up and grow up.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The minute they reveal they're a Liberal...

Really, can you get any more anti-American than that?
edit on 1/3/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
The minute they reveal they're a Liberal...

Really, can get get any more anti-American than that?

The minute they reveal they're a Conservative...

Really, can get get any more anti-American than that?.....

or ...... The minute they have beliefs different than mine, really they can't get any more anti-American than that can they?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Well been called a lot of names on this site if that is what you are referring to been called anti American for not supporting Obama,OWS, defending property rights and even defending the rights of the second Ammendment.

Not a single person on this site has ever gotten the name calling right as of yet when they have no arguement, no facts no legs to stand on that's when they start.

Anyone who has ever read the Constitution and primarily the right to Free Speech, and Expression and anyone who understands what they mean know better.

Dissent is Completely American no matter what side you choose to be on for any given topic your are exercising your right as an American

So i have to agree anyone who calls another person on here Anti American is Anti American.
edit on 3-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't know any more......whatever happened to the fight the man mentality.....it was a little silly but in the end the heart was in the right place.....that 70´s righteousness.....where is that now.....where is that unity we shared as a people....(USA).....we would form a crowd and just OWN if we thought something was wrong.....now we OCCUPY and half the people are just not for it at all.....they are still in many ways in love with the idea of an unbiased government that does not lie and if it does, does so for our good.....

People used to be all for the anti war movement....now.....there is no shortage of "we should just bomb them back to the stone age" comments....

There is no one just saying what they think as individuals....unless that happens to coincide with what everyone else is saying.....like if you live in a small town in the south....and happen to think US soldiers are better off at home than in the ME...you might as well move.....or get your ass kicked in extreme cases....you´ll be sorry on some level anyways.....why ?¿??

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Noam Chomsky on the anti-American sentiment:

"The very fact that the concept "anti-American" can exist -- forget the way it's used -- exhibits a totalitarian streak that's pretty dramatic. That concept, anti-Americanism -- the only real counterpart to it in the modern world is anti-Sovietism. In the Soviet Union, the worst crime was to be anti-Soviet. That's the hallmark of a totalitarian society, to have concepts like anti-Sovietism or anti-Americanism. Here it's considered quite natural. Books on anti-Americanism, by people who are basically Stalinist clones, are highly respected. That's true of Anglo-American societies, which are strikingly the more democratic societies. I think there's a correlation there...As freedom grows, the need to coerce and control opinion also grows if you want to prevent the great beast from doing something with its freedom."

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

No, that would be your right if you were an American, to have guns, or to not have guns.

It is not anti-American to say no to guns...for yourself.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by yampa

thanks....that about sums it up for me.....I actually felt this way but wanted to see what responses I would get if I ask....I notice everyone doing the "calling" has steered clear of this one.....yet they have no shortage of examples elsewhere on this site....funny

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I say that Mickey Mouse is Anti American, cause he's a rodent with big ears...

ooh so is Obama .......

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I consider someone Anti-American when they don't stand up for their own country and their own freedoms in the CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS. When they try everything in the book to justify some fringe terrorist group or organization's actions even though if the tables were turned it would be considered a horrendous act of treason anywhere else. This has happened to me in debates about certain groups like Al Qaeda, Muslim Extremists, OWS and ACORN. NOTE I am not saying OWS and ACORN are terrorists but some of their actions in the past have been very questionable to try to get their message across.

Someone else could be considered Anti-American whenever someone tries to question the actions of certain groups like Al Qaeda or The Taliban and are brought down or shut up because of their concerns.

Some people are really lucky to be born here in America, otherwise they would never get the chance to be sympathetic towards the enemy of your own country.
edit on 3-1-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
An Anti-American would be someone who wants to see the USA and everyone in it crumble and die, and puts said thoughts into action.

Just my thought.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
I consider someone Anti-American when they don't stand up for their own country and their own freedoms in the CURRENT STATE OF AFFAIRS. When they try everything in the book to justify some fringe terrorist group or organization's actions even though if the tables were turned it would be considered a horrendous act of treason anywhere else. This has happened to me in debates about certain groups like Al Qaeda, Muslim Extremists, OWS and ACORN. NOTE I am not saying OWS and ACORN are terrorists but some of their actions in the past have been very questionable to try to get their message across.

Some people are really lucky to be born here in America, otherwise they would never get the chance to be sympathetic towards the enemy of your own country.

justify some fringe terrorist group-----by not wanting to kill them.....or by actually stating a wanton destruction of the USA?¿?¿?¿

would be considered a horrendous act of treason anywhere else-----what would?¿?¿? not being against them....or by not being against them they are then in favor of them?¿?¿? I dont get it...honestly I dont...
edit on 3-1-2012 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
My view stands as this; if your actions would do more harm to the majority of Americans than good, your actions can/should be construed as "against America."
Being anti-war doesn't make you anti-American, especially since most wars are anti-American themselves. Being anti-government isn't being anti-American, not when the government has been stripping away and selling off America and her freedoms for so long.

We go to war for mineral or monetary purposes that strengthen the few, while tax payers lose everything. Those waging these wars are anti-American as they do nothing with this stolen wealth that benefits the country. We use legislation to remove people's freedoms because there's a "threat" out there that we created, and we have to be "protected" from this Frankenstein's Monster that is terrorism.

Are you anti-American? No. Am I? No. Are the people that run this country, and the people that run them? Absolutely. How do we fix it? Well that is the $2012 question, isn't it?

It doesn't get much better than this reply. Great comment FugitiveSoul

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Allot of them are anti human, well I wanna see them go first.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by newyorkee

The people defending the the Middle Eastern terrorists activities would not be allowed to defend the USA if they were born in the countries that they are defending. That's some hypocrisy for you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join