It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More large after shocks in Christchurch NZ

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dadfortruth1

There have been no reports of any liquefaction from this afaik and no huge cracks appearing... however it was widely felt

Here is a good reference for our local activity here in Canterbury NZ

www.canterburyquakelive.co.nz...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
There may be a few more cracks and liquefaction if the mag 7 discussed on the news this evening comes to fruition. I'm torn between wanting to know and not wanting to know! It's interesting that they recently admitted in the royal commission to knowing after boxing day that Christchurch was likely to get a 6 close to the city, are they now covering themselves for the possibility/probability that we're going to get an even bigger one out in the ocean? Scary stuff really.

It's just what Christchurch didn't want to hear - warnings that a big one, 7.0 on the Richter scale, is probably coming.

The word comes from Canterbury University scientists who've been looking at a marked increase in seismic activity in a fault off the eastern coastline.

Read more: www.3news.co.nz...

Government earthquake experts held back forecasts of a massive aftershock for Christchurch following the magnitude 4.9 Boxing Day jolt because they didn't want to alarm the already traumatised population.

The admission came as GNS scientists gave evidence at the close of the third day of hearings of the Royal Commission inquiry into the Canterbury earthquakes.

www.nzherald.co.nz...

All we can do is be prepared. We have jobs, a home, pets and kids - we're not about to up and run - just not possible! But I have this evening checked the water stores are up to date and fresh... must pop to the supermarket tomorrow and get extra pet food - we have plenty of human food, but not much stored for the pups!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Evltre

I have my fingers crossed for you guys. I just saw this story linked to your link www.nzherald.co.nz...
41 quakes in 24 hours, you guys must be on edge.
edit on 2/1/12 by dadfortruth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
They aren't aftershocks. TV3 article and video here

GNS seismologist Ken Gledhill says

"the sequence was kicked off by the September 2010 event which changed the earth under our feet in Christchurch. This series of earthquakes as a result of that, including the February and June one, this is almost a rerun of the June one."

and

"But that process is not taking place in what we call a classic aftershock sequence,” says Mr Gledhill. “It's rather a series of earthquakes over a much longer period of time.”

Listen to him in the video.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

All we can do is be prepared. We have jobs, a home, pets and kids - we're not about to up and run - just not possible! But I have this evening checked the water stores are up to date and fresh... must pop to the supermarket tomorrow and get extra pet food - we have plenty of human food, but not much stored for the pups!

On the whole I agree - we're not about to go anywhere if we can help it. But... if the city were to be struck with a 7+ nearer than Greendale the potential damage to infrastructure could mean jobs were no longer available as businesses are unable to function and domestic living becomes more strained. We were near the 7.1 (nr Darfield) and if you got the amount of land displacement around the Greendale in the city it would be disastrous. I try not to worry too much but this recent news from Dr Quigley re a potential 7 from a.n.other fault nr Chch really concerns me

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by veubiah

"But that process is not taking place in what we call a classic aftershock sequence,” says Mr Gledhill. “It's rather a series of earthquakes over a much longer period of time.”

I think the key word here is "classic" - it is an aftershock sequence in that the 7.1 kicked off all this activity, but it isn't behaving as a classic aftershock sequence would. I suspect this is down to the close proximity and high stress levels of nearby faults that hadn't been active for quite some time. Indeed, the main Greendale fault that kicked off this aftershock sequence wasn't even known about before the 7.1

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Yes - I read that the port hills fault responsible for Feb was so loaded and ready to go it would have likely gone in the near future without Sept 4 to give it a hurry up. There seems to be a very high number of 5's with this latest shake - I was assuming they would tail off quickly like the June ones did - but they are really hanging in there.

And they feel very different out here to the previous ones - I also thought that last night / early morning ones were far more reminiscent of the darfield quakes than the city ones. I was really surprised at the magnitude vs how strongly we felt them. I wonder if the land has changed to an extent that the energy is passing through in a more fluid kind of way? Lol - that probably sounds stupid

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Not stupid at all.. the energy release from Greendale and Port Hills is markedly different. As you say, last night's were reminiscent of the e/w side to side movement again. I too wonder if that's because action now transferred to a different fault system i.e. the Pegasus Bay / offshore area. Question is, where next... ?! I'm worried it'll trigger one of the larger e/w trending faults in Peg Bay and that that will trigger inland to Rangi/Kaiapoi areas which could in turn upset faults up Oxford/View Hill again :S

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I'm not a betting woman... but my money is on the Peg bay fault going in the nearish future. Back in June NIWA I think it was said they had "no reason to believe" that the quakes were trending east off shore - but they have done and I think that there is a fair bit of wobble to go before we're done. Logically that Peg bay fault is the "next stop" if you look at the natural progression the quakes have made so far.
Don't like it, but that's my "gut feeling" on it. I'm sitting here trying to "project" the impact on us if there were to be a 7 out there - the six was pretty vile - a 7 is 10x stronger, but that much further away? Not nice thinking about it but I can help but stew it over. I'm just glad we're out of town and on pretty stable ground!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
I think the key word here is "classic" - it is an aftershock sequence in that the 7.1 kicked off all this activity, but it isn't behaving as a classic aftershock sequence would. I suspect this is down to the close proximity and high stress levels of nearby faults that hadn't been active for quite some time. Indeed, the main Greendale fault that kicked off this aftershock sequence wasn't even known about before the 7.1

I consider him to be more knowledgeable about this topic than you or I. He explicitly chose to point out that it is not an aftershock sequence but a series of earthquakes. I'm guessing that's why he chose to use the words "series of earthquakes". If he had wanted to describe a "non-classic series of aftershocks" then I am sure he would have.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

TextDo you have images that accompany the feeling? Do you have memories that accompany the feeling? Are there dreams that you've had that seem to ring a bell of association?
You can predict an event based on many parameters,if you have a connection with the astral world and you have intelligence to gather the info and interpret it correct then you may have the ability to predict an event,but that is something without an effect for humans,because usually they don't believe and if they do,no one will act in a way to save lives.So is useless to predict anything as long as that has scientific no base.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Do you have images that accompany the feeling? Do you have memories that accompany the feeling? Are there dreams that you've had that seem to ring a bell of association?
A hair divides the hilarious reality.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Thanks for your kind reply.

Certainly denial saturated cluelessness abounds in our era.

Whistling by the graveyard seems to be the mantra of choice.

I was just curious about the specifics of your feelings on the matter.

I tend to experience such feelings in an inner gut unease or kind of warm gut sort of conviction . . . not that that makes sense. LOL.

I sure hope y'all are OVERCOMERS down there in every needful way. Doesn't sound like the quakes are going to let up any time soon.

What do locals feel about the predictions from varioius (e.g. occultist E Cayce) that NZ will gain a big bunch of land but also suffer significan inundation?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Certainly denial saturated cluelessness abounds in our era. Whistling by the graveyard seems to be the mantra of choice.
Yes but,you know..sometimes you must have fun...

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by BO XIAN

Certainly denial saturated cluelessness abounds in our era. Whistling by the graveyard seems to be the mantra of choice.
Yes but,you know..sometimes you must have fun...

Was married to an RN.
Worked at a fire dept headquarters.
Was in the Navy.

I'm familiar with black humor.

Am quite capable of such, myself.

Usually, however, the quake stuff leaves me 'terminally sobered' with an aching heart for the children, particularly.

I realize our era has long been destined for massive blood flows to rival the lahars.

I realize dawn will come in due course.

Between now and then still has me grieving . . . already.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

already
I know how are you feeling,but there must be a positive part in the future.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

ABSOLUTELY there is at least a thousand years of perfect peace scheduled after the 7 or so years of horrific traumas.

However, in the scope of this thread . . . I think the postives are:

1. People renewing the priority of working together in caring unity to solve common problems.

2. People renewing their convictions and understandings that RELATIONSHIPS are a greater priority than a lot of bling and glitter; iPods and fast cars; endless brain numbing videos and pill/food/sex based obsessions.

3. Helping neighbors nearby prevent worse damage and/or clean up after horrific damage can be a dramatically relationship building thing that brings folks out of their self-imposed cocoons of isolation and imploding depression.

4. Realizing anew that WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER is an important lesson to relearn and reinforce.

5. Learning again to MAJOR IN MAJORS AND MINOR IN MINORS is an enduring priority well kept in mind and in practice.

And . . . supremely, as Tolkien put so well . . . in THE RETURN OF THE KING

THE KING IS COMING.

edit on 2/1/2012 by BO XIAN because: addition

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

THE KING IS COMING.
Please if I may ask.....WHEN?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

He said even He didn't know.

When it's time.

Until then, I believe all these quakes are serving a major function of highlighting

how dependent we all are on

. . . His grace.

He seems determined that man realize . . . that man is not the master of much at all--particularly apart from Him.

Nevertheless, they are also great opportunities to

SERVE ONE ANOTHER
LOVE ONE ANOTHER
HELP ONE ANOTHER

get our eyes and priorities off our temporary feel good, shallow, pseudo-warm fuzzies and extend to the hurting around us some

genuine warm fuzzies of
--heart-felt help;
--heart-felt affection;
--heart felt clean water offered in loving caring;
--heart-felt broken bread together;
--heart-felt secure shelter offered & shared;
--heart-felt massage for shoulder & neck tensions & stress;
--heart-felt truly listening ears;
--heart-felt hugs and just holding and comforting; letting the hug go last instead of first;
--heart-felt transportation to a doc or hospital;
--heart-felt caring for an injured or unavoidably deserted pet;

. . .

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

SERVE ONE ANOTHER LOVE ONE ANOTHER HELP ONE ANOTHER
Beautiful words but"poorly constrained"facts..

edit on 2-1-2012 by diamondsmith because: but

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join