It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Really Brainwashing?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Laserjock

Not all Religions but Christianity openly says to kill people who are Homosexual, disobedient teens, people who work on Sabbeth day and is extremely sexist towards women. And as a kid it was burned in my head that if I didn't believe in the Bible completely I would burn for it and I'm not alone. Sound like Social Control to me

link   
reply to post by Laserjock
Double post. Admins delete

edit on 29-12-2011 by Zeer0 because: (no reason given)

link   
Hi!

Originally posted by autowrench
Does Christianity forbid asking hard questions about its doctrines?

No.

Does Christianity forbid questioning of its leaders and their doctrine or behavior?

No.

Do Christian organizations whose primary focus is fundraising, and who may even resort to deception in order to line the pockets of their leaders?

That's not a question. Can you restate this?

Is it not true that some of these leaders live in luxury, while the one paying them live in poverty?

Are you suggesting that some people in this world are susceptible to the lure of luxury? I'm sure that there are. Are you suggesting that this is representative of Christians that are in positions of leadership?

Do Christians not target young people, the elderly, and others who might be vulnerable to exploitation?

They sure do. As well as young adults, adults, the middle aged and anyone else that they believe may be receptive to the message of Christ. Is that wrong?

How can Christians be so sure they're right and everyone else is wrong? Isn't that arrogant? Isn't that evidence of a large ego?

Pretty much as easily as you believe that those Christians who were concerned about the veracity of your statements regarding your conversing with the spirits of the dead and there being who they claim they are are wrong. Isn't that arrogant? Isn't that evidence of a large ego?

Logically speaking, it is simply not possible for all the major world religions to be valid ways/paths to God.

I fail to see your point.

Christianity states that the God of the Bible Yahweh is the only true God and salvation is only possible by accepting Christ as one's Savior and Lord. Judaism states that the God of the Torah/Old Testament is the only true God, and that Jesus is not the Messiah, putting it directly at odds with Christianity. Jesus either is the Messiah, or he is not. If he is, Judaism is not a valid way to God; if he is not, Christianity is not a valid way to God. The mutual exclusion only grows when other religions are added: Islam says that Allah is the only true God, and that anyone who says Christ is the Son of God will be condemned (Qur'an, 5:72, 9:30). Furthermore, if religions other than Christianity are valid ways to God, then one of Christianity's basic principles is false; in that case, can it still be said to be a valid, trustworthy religion?

Can you restate this? What does this have to do with Christianity? Can you offer up some references from mainstream Christianity where it is stated that Christianity is not the True Path?

Is Christianity is intolerant of other beliefs?

Can you define 'intolerant'?

I have seen this intolerance many times, in this forum, and in real life.
Tell a Christian you are Wiccan, you very quickly are told that you work for Satan, or are in league with Satan, or Demons, or that you are a Demon, or are possessed by Demons. It is nearly the same if you tell a Christian you are a Buddhist, a Hindu, Taoist, or follow the Native American ways. Isn't it true, and the way if the Christ, that we shouldn't pass judgement on, or condemn these beliefs as being morally wrong? Or sinful?

That's interesting coming from someone who is proclaiming that most Christians are brain washed. Very tolerant of you!

Eric
edit on 29-12-2011 by EricD because: left out a word

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Can u define intolerant?

Yes:
in·tol·er·ant/inˈtälərənt/Adjective:

1.Not tolerant of others' views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.

2.Unable to be given (a medicine or other treatment) or to eat (a food) without adverse effects.

I believe the OP is referring to the 1st definition

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Do you hold this contempt for any other religion? Or is there some special magic that Christianity has?

The problem is when people try to control your access to thoughts, not that a thought exists.

Your complaints are over people's behaviours and lies, and these traits are universal.

The Thought Poison Police are not out to save me.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillyTJames
reply to post by EricD

Can u define intolerant?

Yes:
in·tol·er·ant/inˈtälərənt/Adjective:

1.Not tolerant of others' views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own.

2.Unable to be given (a medicine or other treatment) or to eat (a food) without adverse effects.

I believe the OP is referring to the 1st definition

I am going to add the Islamic definition of tolerance here.

Tolerance: to be compassionate towards apostates. To want apostates to be free of suffering. To want apostates to be free of the state of living in the sin of unbelief.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

But Christianity is the only Religion that openly teaches people to KILL (key word being Kill) people of different Belifs and people who are different in general and it's tragic that this is being taught to children. How to expect people not to be offended?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BillyTJames

Thank, yes, I was. I have seen a great deal of intolerance by Christians, once, homeless and with no food or shelter, and with a wife and two kids, I went to a Methodist Church outlet that was said to help those in need. I was taken aback by the finery in there, the benches alone probably cost more than a new car. They asked, what church do you belong to? None, I said, we are Wiccan. "Go away, be gone from me, satan worshipers!" and we were ushered out the door. That was the last time I ever entered a church. We have a preacher down the hill from us, he runs a modest little church. He collects classic cars, and the church people pay for them. His wife is the treasurer. I could go on, look at how televangelists live, in mansions, paid for my "tithes," money supposedly given to God. Why does God need money?

I wear a pentagram about my neck, and have one hanging from my rear view mirror. A sticker on the back says, "Protected by Witchcraft." I see people take a very wide path to avoid my van, and get some pretty evil stares in stores, especially when I wear my shirt that says, "I'm a Pagan, and I Vote." Intolerance? You bet.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
reply to post by Aeons

But Christianity is the only Religion that openly teaches people to KILL (key word being Kill) people of different Belifs and people who are different in general and it's tragic that this is being taught to children. How to expect people not to be offended?

Don't mean to just butt in but Christianity is not the only one my sister and I talked about faiths and such. The one of Islam came up and we came to the conclusion that this one can be the most trouble. It was a quick search but this is one link I came up with that can showcase as to why it may cause trouble. www.thereligionofpeace.com... One such excerpt from this is this.

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority". This speaks directly of polytheists, yet it also includes Christians, since they believe in the Trinity (ie. what Muhammad incorrectly believed to be 'joining companions to Allah').

I'm not as familiar with the Quran as she is so I cannot attest the complete authentic~y of these excerpts at least not completely.

Disclaimer: I am not bashing people of the Islamic faith.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Claiming to be able to speak to anything beyond the reality of we humans is subject to scrutiny, and I have no choice but to doubt it. Yes, even I have done these things, but that doesn't mean I believe it.

Christianity leads to skepticism in my opinion. And perhaps that is why where Christianity goes, atheism inevitably follows. But I care not.

I am skeptical of your claims of talking to the dead and otherworldly. Just as much I am skeptical of my own experiences. Because of Christianity.

Call it nuts. But I seek proof. Physical proof. Call your angels and aliens to come down on me, if ye be real. If not, why should I believe?

Christianity destroys mysticism, and atheism follows Christianity wherever it goes. To me, that's not necessarily bad.
edit on 29-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: le spelling

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BillyTJames

You're kidding, right? I was asking the OP for his/her definition, not Webster's.

There's a big difference between intolerant as you don't like string beans and intolerant as in you should burn down grocery stores. I was trying to ascertain a degree.

Eric

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

He asked Is Christianity intolerant of other beliefs?

What is so hard to understand about that question? just asking not looking to fight I just don't understand how you don't understand it.
It is a simple question.
edit on 29-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

It has to be tolerant by nature. Jesus said to. Paul wrote saying that you should not cut yourself out of other people, but go to them and prove God's graces. You cannot possibly kill a nonbeliever if you truly follow Christ, because it is God's will that all come to him before death. I, as a Christian, would find it easier to fight fellow Christians in a war than non Christians. Because I do not want to kill non Christians. They will go to hell. War is nothing more than a tool to kill people before they find God. It's the devil's play thing.

Is that intolerant? I don't know. You get to call that.

There is wrong, and you should stand against wrong, but not against your fellow man.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD

Originally posted by LunaKat
Most definitely at least within the Catholic Church the leaders --upper higherarchy-- live the absolute lap of luxury. Look at the Vatican. Who but them lives like that? Not the majority of the worlds population doesn't. Not the elderly Grandma that chances are is sitting in the pew next to you. No they want what little she eeks out from Social Security to go into their collection plate. They raise tons of money where does it go?? Its not going to feed the world. Its going to pay for elaborate churches, mega churches, and Vatican. The poorer churches when they run into trouble financially are shut down. People try to get their churches saved because they've gone there all their lives and its "home" to them, but in the Church's eyes its a financial loss, so see ya. Go find another church.

Really? They live in the absolute lap of luxury? Can you provide some evidence of that? The money raised does not go towards feeding the world? It's for paying of elaborate churches, mega churches and the Vatican? Do you have any proof of that, either?

Do you have any information, links, proof or background for any of your statements?

And to cap things off, you start by slamming profligate spending and then end by slamming attempts at fiscal responsibility. Nice.

Here are a few things you might want to look into:

1) What's the annual operating budget of the Vatican? How does that compare to other institutions such as, say, Harvard?

2) What hospices, hospitals, orphanages, shelters and food banks are run by the Catholic Church?

3) How do you define luxury and what members of the Church hierarchy exist in that bubble? How do you support that claim?

Eric

Hi Eric, Easy enough for you to see the Vatican..you can always go to YouTube and look at travel clips where they went there. If that isn't luxury I don't know what is. Comparing the Vatican to Harvard is in no way similar.

If the Catholic church is feeding the world I don't see it. Too much hunger..churches spread out all over the world. Money collected every week going where exactly?

Ask the Vatican what their annual operating budget is..good luck. But you do have eyes and you can see when things are ridiculously lopsided. What would be the need for such a place as the Vatican other than show off wealth and how powerful the Church is?

Funny you should bring up about the Catholic Church's charity. They are having to close their adoption centers in Illinois because they refuse to adopt children out to gay couples. They want state money but they don't want to comply.

Catholic Charities Loses Same-Sex Couple Adoption Fight in Illinois

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Well yes. Because it is a general cultural belief that Wicca are satanic. Blame the culture, not the man.

I for one never understood Wicca to begin with. Why fall with mysticism? It's been proven that communal attempts to do "magic" only work because people together generate fabulous overreaction to simple things. Not to insult your beliefs, but science says you're wrong.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeer0

Not that I can see. Sure Christians do. But the book doesn't, unless those people are lost beyond words, like in the old testament.

Are you talking about those old testament wars? Do you know the history to it? Those people were pirates and rapists, with no innocents. When a group become so intolerable to other's well being, being tolerant of them becomes impossible. You must kill them before their raging hoards destroy all that is good.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
[

1) What's the annual operating budget of the Vatican? How does that compare to other institutions such as, say, Harvard?

Eric

Aaah I see where you pulled that from now. CNS most likely. I wondered why you would make the comparison to Harvard.. If those numbers are to be believed (?) The churches are losing heavily to sexual abuse cases but they should of thought of that ahead of time, there is also mention of the Vatican Bank scandals. And if its such a losing proposition, dump it. The way they dump the churches that don't make them money. Take the money from dumping the Vatican and reinvest..afterall they are saying they don't have enough money. Why hang onto a losing proposition?

According to them their paintings are of no commercial value
Have a garage sale then, get what you can get and get out.

Sorry fail to feel sorry for them.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
reply to post by Aeons

None of this is true. Most religions have clauses about killing, and Islam and Judaism both do so. Islam might give a guy the chance to convert before killing him.

Most of what you are quoting is not supported in the New Testament, and is indeed often contradicted by the New Testament.

Have you even read the Bible? I'm not a Christian. You are being schooled by an ex-Pagan high priestess about your lack of religious knowledge about something you are ranting on. Go pick the thing up, and read it. It really won't poison your mind.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

Don't forget all that nazi gold they may or may not have.

en.wikipedia.org... (scroll down a bit)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I for one never understood Wicca to begin with.

Well, Wicca is not for the closed minded, or the unintelligent, for it takes a long time of study and devotion to fully understand Wicca, both the Light and Dark side of it, what it is, and what it is not. One thing it is not is Satan worship. We do not believe in Satan, or any ultimate author of evil. To us, evil is in the hearts of human beings only.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join