It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Really Brainwashing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Ok I have a Bible in my hand right now so your telling me that I won't find any of those quotes? Do I have your word? Because when your quoting the Bible directly it's hard for you to just outright reject that.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
reply to post by autowrench

In my experience.....if its not brainwashing.....its at least one hell of a marketing scheme.

Lets face it, preacher dude stands in front of a crowd once a week (sunday morning), and collects enough money to provide for his family.

Wow, must be nice to only work one day a week.

That's the most absurd idea ever, a pastor is never "off" work. My pastor's schedule is maddening and I certainly do not envy him in the least bit.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Not so much. The pastors in my Town have tricked out cars and have a ton of money. Its all a big scheme. Haven't you seen the South Park when Cartman becomes a pastor and uses the Hell excuse to get Money? I think you should watch those 2 episodes .

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
reply to post by Aeons

Christianity openly says to kill people who are Homosexual, disobedient teens, people who work on Sabbeth day and is extremely sexist towards women....

Ok I have a Bible in my hand right now so your telling me that I won't find any of those quotes?

I'd like to see them, thanks, as my understanding was the chap in question only spoke of love, tolerance and forgiveness. Are you talking about the same bloke, or is it the one from South Park?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by chocise

Restate the question
edit on 29-12-2011 by Zeer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

Hi there, friend. I did a little digging, I learned a very long time ago the origin of the word meant "Pole," as in a pole a man would place in the ground to mark property claimed by the man. "Heathen" came from the root word, "Hearth," of fireplace, which was the first thing built upon beginning a home. People of the Hearth became known as Heathens.

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines "pagan" as: "belonging to a religion which worships many gods, especially one which existed before the main world religions."

A rare use of "Pagan" is to describe a person who does not follow an main Abrahamic religion. That is, their faith does not recognize Abraham as a patriarch. The individual is neither Christian, Muslim, Baha'i nor Jew. Pagans under this definition would include Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Humanists, Scientologists, Taoists, Wiccans, etc. About 45% of the people of the world are Pagans, by this definition.
source

The so called Pagan religions have been around since the dawning of humankind. And, we will always be around.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

reply to post by chocise

Restate the question

Originally posted by chocise

reply to post by Aeons

Christianity openly says to kill people who are Homosexual, disobedient teens, people who work on Sabbeth day and is extremely sexist towards women....

Ok I have a Bible in my hand right now so your telling me that I won't find any of those quotes?

I'd like to see them, thanks, as my understanding was the chap in question only spoke of love, tolerance and forgiveness. Are you talking about the same bloke, or is it the one from South Park?
edit on 29-12-2011 by chocise because: inclusion of zero's restate the question quote

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chocise

Lol not what I meant. I meant say it in a less confusing way.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Yes I know this. But here's the thing.

If it takes a long time to learn, in terms of spiritual matters, then it's probably wrong.

This is a general rule I have had in terms of religion, and it's worked out pretty swell.

If spiritual matters are true, then they ought to be self evident. And indeed, assuming this is true, it reveals itself to be such: most religions agree in many areas of matters of the spirit.

If it's not easy to grasp, then it's highly likely someone took a long time to make it up.

You speak of these matters of the spirit. The things in which I call into question. This simply reinforces my point of the matter that if it's true, it ought to be simple to understand. I started a post a while back on the topic of this "feeling" I can will myself to yield. There, the topic of Chakra was discusses. An interesting subject, I admit. But that's the whole point. The essentially part of what was discussed; the feeling. It was easy to comprehend. Because it was true. Some people have learned to wield their mind in such a way as to generate an trance-like state to which to will themselves to do practically anything. It's not something that takes years to learn. It comes naturally, because it is true.

The spiritual should be no different. If it is true, it is simple.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by LunaKat

Hi there, friend. I did a little digging, I learned a very long time ago the origin of the word meant "Pole," as in a pole a man would place in the ground to mark property claimed by the man. "Heathen" came from the root word, "Hearth," of fireplace, which was the first thing built upon beginning a home. People of the Hearth became known as Heathens.

The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary defines "pagan" as: "belonging to a religion which worships many gods, especially one which existed before the main world religions."

A rare use of "Pagan" is to describe a person who does not follow an main Abrahamic religion. That is, their faith does not recognize Abraham as a patriarch. The individual is neither Christian, Muslim, Baha'i nor Jew. Pagans under this definition would include Agnostics, Atheists, Buddhists, Hindus, Humanists, Scientologists, Taoists, Wiccans, etc. About 45% of the people of the world are Pagans, by this definition.
source

The so called Pagan religions have been around since the dawning of humankind. And, we will always be around.

Thank you Autowrench. I knew about Heathen but didn't know about "pole." You got a great memory. Thank you!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

reply to post by chocise

Lol not what I meant. I meant say it in a less confusing way.

Well, as you mentioned it, I'd like to see these quotes, cheers.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Well I'm not really interested to be honest. Aside from what you yourself mentioned, read my aforementioned post. I'm not interested in things that take a long long time to explain and "master" for spiritual matters. Especially things that have to do with magic. Because magic, quite frankly, is stupid. And you'll have to forgive me if you or anyone feels offended. I suppose that's my own prejudice.

I was an atheist for a time. And my mentality from that time is alive and well within the skeptical parts of my mind.
edit on 29-12-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Please, allow me? Bible orders people to kill? Yes, it most certainly does. It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”.

For example, God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21).

God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value (Deuteronomy 3).

He orders another attack and the killing of “all the living creatures of the city: men and women, young, and old, as well as oxen sheep, and asses” (Joshua 6).

In Judges 21, He orders the murder of all the people of Jabesh-gilead, except for the virgin girls who were taken to be forcibly raped and married.

Then we have the Book of Leviticus, chapter 20.

20:2 Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones.

20:9 For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:12 And if a man lie with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them.

20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:14 And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

20:15 And if a man lie with a beast, he shall surely be put to death: and ye shall slay the beast.

20:16 And if a woman approach unto any beast, and lie down thereto, thou shalt kill the woman, and the beast: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

20:27 A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.

Just about every other page in the Old Testament has God killing people. In 2nd. Kings 10:18-27, God orders the murder of all the worshipers of a different God, in their very own Temple! In total God kills 371,186 people directly and orders another 1,862,265 people murdered.

There are a great many more murders either at the direct hand of God, or at his orders. I guess this is the main reason most Christians avoid the OT like the plague. The NT God is all love and sweetness.
Are these the same God?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeer0

I'd be happy to hear your words and say what I think.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I believe you are referring to the Old Testament there. That's really a Jewish book.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Please, allow me? Bible orders people to kill? Yes, it most certainly does. It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”.

For example, God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people (1 Chronicles 21).

I would give this post of yours 10 stars if I could Autowrench. Whenever I tell Christians that their God murdered people they don't believe me. Followed by the famous, "but thats the Old Testament." Ya! And thats the God their Jesus is trying to draw them to. He wants them to worship that Father --uh the one of the Old Testament. Same one.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

It's alright fire away

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunaKat

I would give this post of yours 10 stars if I could Autowrench. Whenever I tell Christians that their God murdered people they don't believe me. Followed by the famous, "but thats the Old Testament." Ya! And thats the God their Jesus is trying to draw them to. He wants them to worship that Father --uh the one of the Old Testament. Same one.

Er, c'mon now. All of that comes from The Old Testament. I think it's pretty well established the god represented here is a pretty vengeful one.

Have you been brainwashed?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Actually it's because he did not give the census to all the people. This was equal in context to our own president saying that Iowa and New Hampshire no longer have citizenship and are cut off from the government's protection and rights. I don't know. If I lived in Iowa and the government said that, would it be bad if suddenly 70,000 people died in Texas from God saying you are doing wrong? Plus you don't know what type of people. 70,000 criminals and soldiers? Who knows.

God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value (Deuteronomy 3).

I do not think he ordered them to kill the children. I think they did that on their own free will. And I am not one to say if they were wrong to do so. Do you know who lived there? Criminals, rapists, pirates, and robbers. Not even their children were innocent, because they too were being ordered to follow suit. It's a matter of knowledge that Egypt even periodically would assault the region knowing full well what type of people were there, and knowing that a periodic campaign to kill them would solve a problem before it existed.

I might sound cruel, but if a civilization becomes so evil that no one around them or within them is safe, I would have no problem erasing these people from existence. Everyone of them, man woman and child. It's better that their entire existence, culture, and being be ended then to allow anyone to have a chance of terrorizing another again.

Not sure if I have time for the rest, but try to find it where God himself says to kill innocent women and children.

The ordering of death is not bad if the person in question is not innocent. I don't understand this "if God ordered death he's evil". Death is sometimes better than keeping a problem alive.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

Not so much. The pastors in my Town have tricked out cars and have a ton of money. Its all a big scheme. Haven't you seen the South Park when Cartman becomes a pastor and uses the Hell excuse to get Money? I think you should watch those 2 episodes .

All the pastors? Really? No offense, but I don't believe you. Even if there are a couple that do, who uses the exception to define the rule anyways??

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join