It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Really Brainwashing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
reply to post by Gorman91

I for one never understood Wicca to begin with.

Well, Wicca is not for the closed minded, or the unintelligent, for it takes a long time of study and devotion to fully understand Wicca, both the Light and Dark side of it, what it is, and what it is not. One thing it is not is Satan worship. We do not believe in Satan, or any ultimate author of evil. To us, evil is in the hearts of human beings only.

Oh what tripe.

There are plenty of fundie, non-educated, idiots in all the Pagan religions. There are absolutely Wiccans who believe in Satan. A couple of trads specifically include Satan.

Nonsense.

Gorman, I can give you a quick run down of Wicca and a couple of other Neo-Pagan classifications in an U2U if you are really interested.
edit on 2011/12/29 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Sorry fella you are the one who is wrong there is some great thread's on wiccas and it taught me alot about them.
Don't you think that Churches have been making stuff up to preach hate against wicca's and the like? why? to scare people into following their Religion.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Roberts

Judaism: One true God
Christianity: One true God
Islam: One true God
Religion X: One true God

Has it not occurred to the faithful out there that you're all following the same God? If your system of faith is based on any one of the above it simply means you are sectarian. You belong to a sect. If you don't believe that the others are right, you must explain unequivocally why your sect is better than theirs. You are classifying your belief system as valid, and all others invalid. By doing so, and passing your personal belief to your offspring, you are simply telling them how to think and believe. Is this brainwashing?
Bottom line: If there is one true God, there should be one true religion. There isn't.
Only in your mind is yours the right one.

By any 'God' (read: the words of men) stating that they are the only one true God, aren't they admitting that there are others? Even if they are crap Gods, they are still deities. It says to me that your God (if he/she/it exists) is a bit full of him/her/itself.

If you believe completely that there is only one God, statistically the God you choose to worship is from another faith/sect. Now think about it....if this is true, are you really pleasing him/her/it?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Aeons

Sorry fella you are the one who is wrong there is some great thread's on wiccas and it taught me alot about them.
Don't you think that Churches have been making stuff up to preach hate against wicca's and the like? why? to scare people into following their Religion.

Oh my. No honey, I'm not wrong. I'm what is considered a multiple pedigreed High Priestess. I'm very well informed.

Now, go read the Bible before you continue with nonsense. If you can't do it for the sake of being sensible, then do so under the auspices of knowing your enemy. Whatever.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I have no enemy's and Iam an enemy to no one. I have read the bible and had it read to me also as a child, it really didn't do anything for me.
I believe in God but not Religion.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Well, Wicca is not for the closed minded, or the unintelligent, for it takes a long time of study and devotion to fully understand Wicca, both the Light and Dark side of it, what it is, and what it is not. One thing it is not is Satan worship. We do not believe in Satan, or any ultimate author of evil. To us, evil is in the hearts of human beings only.

Oh what tripe.

There are plenty of fundie, non-educated, idiots in all the Pagan religions. There are absolutely Wiccans who believe in Satan. A couple of trads specifically include Satan.

Nonsense.

Gorman, I can give you a quick run down of Wicca and a couple of other Neo-Pagan classifications in an U2U if you are really interested.

As far as I know Satanists do not worship the monotheistic God of the Jews-Christians-Muslims which makes them fall within the Pagan religions. But Satanists are distinctly different than Wiccans or other Pagans. It is said that most Satanists are former Christians due to the fact that thats where they learned about Satan.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LunaKat

Oh what tripe.

Nonsense.

As far as I know Satanists do not worship the monotheistic God of the Jews-Christians-Muslims which makes them fall within the Pagan religions. But Satanists are distinctly different than Wiccans or other Pagans. It is said that most Satanists are former Christians due to the fact that thats where they learned about Satan.

Satanism is not Paganism. It falls in the religious classification manuals as being a mystical religion. Please feel free to visit your local library to confirm this, there will be an official classification manual in the reference section.

Depending on the brand of Satanism, and there are several, they may have included the God-of-Abraham but simply choose to reject him. In order to reject it, you need to accept that it is real. See the interesting clause there? Others use Satanism as a form of self-worship, and some others do so as a form of humanism/hedonism with a ritualistic basis.

Now there are other forms of Satanism, such as Setians who classify themselves sometimes as a brand of Satanism while others reject the classification.

Not being a worshiper in the Abrahamic faiths is *not* a classification standard for being pagan.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I have never in my life met anyone who called themselves a "Satanist," but, as Satan is a religious invention, I guess Satanism is just a polar opposite of Christianity. And there are a lot of people who simply call themselves "Wiccan," I suppose for the fear factor, and to make themselves stand out from the crowd. But, to be a true Wiccan, one must study, and research everything he or she can possibly find on it, and do this for a year and a day.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Satanism is not Paganism. It falls in the religious classification manuals as being a mystical religion. Please feel free to visit your local library to confirm this, there will be an official classification manual in the reference section.

Depending on the brand of Satanism, and there are several, they may have included the God-of-Abraham but simply choose to reject him. In order to reject it, you need to accept that it is real. See the interesting clause there? Others use Satanism as a form of self-worship, and some others do so as a form of humanism/hedonism with a ritualistic basis.

Now there are other forms of Satanism, such as Setians who classify themselves sometimes as a brand of Satanism while others reject the classification.

Not being a worshiper in the Abrahamic faiths is *not* a classification standard for being pagan.

I will do that. I will look into this. Because some of what you say is different and I want to see for myself. Part of the problem is that it depends on how one defines Pagan. For example if you go to:

Meaning of the word Pagan -- religioustolerance.org

And if you scroll to the 5th definition that is the one that I have always been taught.

I'm not an expert on Satanism. I am Neo-Pagan but I do not have Satan in the deities that I worship.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

None of this is true? I haven't read the Book But I have read the repulsive quotes from the Old Testement. Looks like you havent read the book.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

Religious Tolerance dot org needs to visit the library as well. They are suffering from a bad case of black or white thinking.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

reply to post by LunaKat

Religious Tolerance dot org needs to visit the library as well. They are suffering from a bad case of black or white thinking.

Its isn't just them Aeons..and I'm not really arguing with you. Many sites on the internet and everywhere define Pagan as non-Abrahamic. Its a changing situation all the time which causes all kinds of controversy. When I started out 30 years ago I was in what was called at that time Dianic Wicca. Then "Wicca" underwent definition changes and no longer were we supposed to use the word Wicca, only certain initiated lines were entitled to use the word "Wicca." Fine. I say now Dianic Tradition (no Wicca reference at all)...that too could change tomorrow. These terms are constantly changing as people are trying to get more and more specific. I don't think its finished yet.

Now when you say what you've explained is the "standard" definition...whose standard?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zeer0
reply to post by Aeons

None of this is true? I haven't read the Book But I have read the repulsive quotes from the Old Testement. Looks like you havent read the book.

I have read the Bible, the Torah, the Talmud, the Bhagavad gita, The Qu'ran (and a variety of supporting Hadith), all the still existent Celtic myths, Greek and Roman mythology, Norse mythology (and those poems are not easy to follow), some Buddhist, and a smattering of African and North American Indian, Eskimo and Innu mythologies. I think there are more....I know I'm leaving something out.

Before you continue, I'd suggest you READ the document you are ranting about.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

reply to post by LunaKat

Its isn't just them Aeons..and I'm not really arguing with you. Many sites on the internet and everywhere define Pagan as non-Abrahamic. Its a changing situation all the time which causes all kinds of controversy. When I started out 30 years ago I was in what was called at that time Dianic Wicca. Then "Wicca" underwent definition changes and no longer were we supposed to use the word Wicca, only certain initiated lines were entitled to use the word "Wicca." Fine. I say now Dianic Tradition (no Wicca reference at all)...that too could change tomorrow. These terms are constantly changing as people are trying to get more and more specific. I don't think its finished yet.

Now when you say what you've explained is the "standard" definition...whose standard?

If your Dianic group decided to opt out of Wicca, not all of them did.

I would suggest getting off of the Interwebz, and sitting down with some more scholarly texts about religions.

The religious classifications are not as simply as Abrahamic / Non-Abrahamic.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Aeons

I have read the Bible, the Torah, the Talmud, the Bhagavad gita, The Qu'ran (and a variety of supporting Hadith), all the still existent Celtic myths, Greek and Roman mythology, Norse mythology (and those poems are not easy to follow), some Buddhist, and a smattering of African and North American Indian, Eskimo and Innu mythologies.

Before you continue, I'd suggest you READ the document you are ranting about.

May I ask what you are Aeons?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Do yourself a favor since I'm on my IPod and not on my CPU look up on YouTube "why the Biible is repulsive". Guy who made the video directly quotes those Bible verses. I think you should watch it.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

reply to post by LunaKat

If your Dianic group decided to opt out of Wicca, not all of them did.

I would suggest getting of the Interwebz, and sitting down with some more scholarly texts about religions.

The religious classifications are not as simply as Abrahamic / Non-Abrahamic.

Uh.. look I am tolerant of other peoples opinions to a point. You are beginning to come across snotty. I have already said that I will look into this. I'm not going to accept your definition just because you say so. Again I ask you which "standard" you are referring to? What is standard to you may not be to another person. You understand that. I'm interested in you citing your source.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Aeons

Do yourself a favor since I'm on my IPod and not on my CPU look up on YouTube "why the Biible is repulsive". Guy who made the video directly quotes those Bible verses. I think you should watch it.

I think you should READ IT. I'm well aware of the verses he's quoting. I've used them to beat the snot out of few snotty Christians myself.

Or is Youtube your scholarly priest holder who informs you of all you need to know about all issues so that you need not do any critical thinking on your own?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

The source I'd suggest you start with is the government manual classifying religions. It is quite comprehensive. You'll find Paganism under Mystical Religions, just like Satanism.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

reply to post by LunaKat

The source I'd suggest you start with is the government manual classifying religions. It is quite comprehensive. You'll find Paganism under Mystical Religions, just like Satanism.

Thank you thats all I wanted to know. OK wait a minute... that doesn't make them the same. You're spinning it that way. Gnostics are a mystical religion as well just like Satanism then.

No point in bothering looking them up.
edit on 29-12-2011 by LunaKat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join