It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 256
<< 253  254  255    257  258  259 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Yikes!!!! No quakes over 2.5 on the entire west coast for 24 hours

In all the years of quaking I do not think I have ever seen this. But I could just have ATSitius

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

I think it may be very difficult to get data that far back for the very small earthquakes.

This form allows you to select the parameters to execute the search of local, regional and teleseismic earthquakes. The Puerto Rico Seismic Network has a complete data base dating from 1986 to present. If you want to search prior to June 20, 2004 contact directly with the Puerto Rico Seismic Network at 787-833-8433.

Puerto Rico Seismic Catalogue

I have no idea how far you can go back on Canada either, but I can tell you that there was no earthquake in the PR / Dominican Republic area during 1949 according to the USGS Centennial Catalog.

At least with some information available from PR, and a largish quake in Canada in the same time frame, you may be able to sort something out.

You may also find this PDF useful.

Significant Canadian Earthquakes of the Period 1600–2006 Companion article, published in Seismological Research Letters, V 79(2), p 211-223, 2008. pdf document, 13 pages, 1.4 Mb

Can we look forward to some research? I hope so.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
Yikes!!!! No quakes over 2.5 on the entire west coast for 24 hours

In all the years of quaking I do not think I have ever seen this. But I could just have ATSitius

earthquake.usgs.gov...

First thing I noticed on the USGS site was the Aleutian Island chain looks a little bare.. Does anybody know if the tremors on this side of the Ring of Fire have decreased since the BC earthquake? (this side being Alaska down to California/Mexico)
not being lazy, just don't know how to look into it on the USGS site

edit on 5-11-2012 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: Need education

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

Puterman will know.....However, he is getting his well deserved beauty rest at the moment, as he is in Scotland.....I think!

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

I thought the same thing, that it looked pretty "naked" in the islands compared to the mainland's shaking. As mentioned, Puterman would know for certain.
Another thing I noticed is that as far as the USGS list goes, it seems like the earthquake numbers for any given 24-hour period have dropped by around 25% to maybe as much as nearly 50%. For example, right now, I've got the map set to show all measurable quakes for the past 24 hours/1 day period, and I'm only seeing 149. Around 150 quakes seems to be the average I'm seeing the past few days at several checks throughout the day & evening/overnight. Unless my memory is skewed, I'm pretty sure a few weeks back, than any given 24 hour period would be showing at least 225, usually more. I've got the QVS software installed, although I'm definitely still a novice at this point in using it. The full multi-source list I can call up for a multitude of time frames seems to show the same drop in activity in the US/Pacific Rim. I'm fully aware that the USGS doesn't show much in the way of Euro or Australian/NZ quakes & that drops the worldwide numbers by a lot, so I am keeping that in mind, but it still feels like a quiet period elsewhere none-the-less. Whether or not it's a normal lull is what I'm unsure of. Again, Puterman would definitely know one way or the other.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
As per the USGS a little while ago:

3.1 52km WNW of Hooper, Utah 2012-11-06 04:13:57 41.285°N 112.733°W 7.6
3.7 6km SW of Hawkesbury, Canada 2012-11-06 04:05:28 45.560°N 74.680°W 15.7

Canuckland has been a little quiet in the east for a while, hasn't it?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
@David;

a little off balance somewhere. Building up this past two weeks?

Solar minimum but this time also with noticeable lower quake counts. Different from what we observed last year.

Notice East Pacific is quiet;
West Pacific a bit more active than usual.
Med, Europe and Russia no geo-activities above 2.5?

Uneasy stress feeling.
edit on 6/11/2012 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Just got a small tremor yesterday here in Gatineau (Buckingham sector) in Quebec Canada, magnitude 4.2.
some car alarms went off but nothing major as far a damages or anything. We just had one on Oct 10th of 4.5 !!! If you don't mind digging up some additional info it would be verry appreciated.

Thank you !
edit on 6-11-2012 by Nuke2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

These lands are very unstable. Landslides, sinkholes, etc. A post topical storm recently went through the area, didn't it. Water. This area is a spillway. The St. Lawrence will be flowing pretty good as all the floods water flow toward the ocean. Oh, what's that river in Ottawa called, oh, the Ottawa River is probably full and emptying into the St Lawrence valley.

Why didn't Ohio go off?
Imagine an earthquake in Ohio today?
Near a polling station- hanging chads and so forth.
A decision delayed.
shh

www.ouramazingplanet.com...

www.decodedscience.com...

www.smudailycampus.com...

www.claimsjournal.com...

This Alaskan earthquake changed the geysers at Yellowstone.

edit on 6-11-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=Study_suggests_Moon_was_once_part_of_the_Earth_20_10_2012

grr

edit on 6-11-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

No amount of beauty sleep could possibly make me beautiful! As my avatar block says, West Of Ireland not Scotland.

It may be early to tell yet as to how QCI 7.7 has affected anything, if it has at all. Looking at a rectangle that covers the whole of the Aleutians and most of Alaska, and just missing the event area I would say that there does appear to be a very slight drop off in the rate since the 28th October. The problem is that the graph is skewed by the 6.4 in the Andreanof Islands on the 26th September. There was a definite decrease just before that, and the slope looks about the same as the current period post QCI so that would indicate a lessening of the rate. Question is, is this just ramping up for another Aleutian M6+ or is this because of QCI?

Looking at the area below QCI there actually seems to be a slight increase in activity

You can see that the slope of the graph increases after 21st Oct BUT that increase is almost certainly because of the M5.3 in Central California on the 21st so I don't think you can read anything into that as far as connections to QCI are concerned.

Overall I would say not much if any effect, but remember that WA/OR and the tip of N.Cali are not the same as further South so I don't think a comparison of the whole shebang is realistic.

The data I have used is the data that is posted by USGS in their 7 day text file. This data may not get updated beyond the 7 day point but for a period such as this it will make little difference.

Both the graphs were produced in QVS Data which, if you suffer the Windows operating system, can be downloaded from the link in my signature.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I've got the QVS software installed

but it still feels like a quiet period elsewhere none-the-less.

Looking just at numbers globally (in View > Chart Data > Cumulative Totals tick the Global 4.5+ checkbox) there was a distinct lull in activity before the Columbia quake (7.3) which is NOT evident just before the QCI quake (7.7).

As I mentioned in the last post comparisons like this are not wholly relevant, but just give a feel for the numbers.

If we take a smaller time frame and just look at October and November so far there is not an 'significant' change in rate that I can see,

There is a marginal difference in the 'bump' around the QCI quake when using EMSC or GFZ Potsdam data, but that is because they report more lower value quakes outside the US so pick up more around Canada.

Overall however they do not tell a different story than the USGS.

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Well Solar Maximum actually, but I understand what you mean. For Solar Max the Sun is very minimum indeed. Today was another 'spotless' day if you count them using the Wolfe method and even Space Weather was struggling to find 4 specs it could call sunspots even though they don't meet the criteria.

There does however seem to be a very slight increase overall if you look at the NUMBERS of quakes over 4.5 global since 01/01/2009, but it is very slight.

I we look at energy output in the same period there does seem to be a slight increase, but only after about July of this year. Aside from that the rate of energy release other than Chile, Japan and Indonesia (the three spikes) seems fairly constant.

And the little lift in energy at the end?

posted on Nov, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Nuke2013

I am a little curious. You say yesterday, yet USGS has this quake (M3.7) which seems to be yours as the Canadian site has it at the same time - this morning (UTC). The area in question would appear to be in the UTC -5 zone which makes it 0405 local time and thus not yesterday. No?

There was also a Mag 2.2 aftershock about 40 minutes later

2012/11/06 09:42:25, 45.61, -74.59, 18.0, 2.2, Yes[felt], 2 km E from Hawkesbury,ON. Aftershock.

Your quake on the 10th was not far away (105 km approx):

Since October 1st there have been 10 events in that region.

Scroll down to the bottom of that page to see the map/results.

@ObservationalIst: That page gives you access to Canadian quakes back to 1985.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 06:26:33 UTC
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 09:56:33 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles)
Region
NORTHWESTERN IRAN
Distances
40 km (24 miles) W of Ahar, Iran
51 km (31 miles) NNE of Tabriz, Iran
73 km (45 miles) E of Marand, Iran
83 km (51 miles) SSE of Kapan, Armenia

Source

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I am not sure why I have not found this before, or maybe I have and forgot.

HAARP seismometer display at Gakona

You can go back to earlier days - I have gone back to November 2010 and it probably goes earlier than that. Quite a useful display really.

Looking at the red bar (overwrite point) on today's display this is in UTC.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Earthquake Details

Magnitude
Date-Time
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 16:35:50 UTC
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 10:35:50 AM at epicenter
Depth
41.6 km (25.9 miles)
Region
OFFSHORE GUATEMALA
Distances
56 km (35 miles) SSW (206°) from Retalhuleu, Retalhuleu, Guatemala
61 km (38 miles) SSE (148°) from Suchiate, Chiapas, Mexico
66 km (41 miles) SW (221°) from Mazatenango, Suchitepéquez, Guatemala
95 km (59 miles) SSW (208°) from Quezaltenango, Guatemala
163 km (101 miles) WSW (248°) from GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 15 km (9.3 miles); depth +/- 9 km (5.6 miles)
Parameters
NST=635, Nph=635, Dmin=244.9 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type=(unknown type), Version=7
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usb000dlwm
edit on 7-11-2012 by lurksoften because: Rev 7.4

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I just got a message from the firefox app saying there has been a 7.5 quake off the coast of Guatemala.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yep, waiting for family there to respond. I don't know how bad it was yet. I'll update if I hear back from them.

Ok they said it was a great scare in the Capital, so far all my family appears to be ok. Too early for damage reports if any.

Originally posted by lurksoften
Earthquake Details

Magnitude
7.5 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 16:35:49 UTC
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 at 10:35:49 AM at epicenter
Depth
33 km (20.5 miles) set by location program
Region
OFFSHORE GUATEMALA
Distances
63 km (39 miles) S (182°) from Suchiate, Chiapas, Mexico
85 km (53 miles) SW (224°) from Retalhuleu, Retalhuleu, Guatemala
99 km (62 miles) SW (233°) from Mazatenango, Suchitepéquez, Guatemala
102 km (63 miles) S (178°) from Tapachula, Chiapas, Mexico
199 km (124 miles) WSW (249°) from GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
Location Uncertainty
Error estimate not available
Parameters
NST= 7, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=176°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B
Source
NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
Event ID
pt12312000

USGS

edit on 7-11-2012 by favouriteslave because: update

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A 4.5 in Utah like 10 minutes ago...must be all the Mormons jumping up and down that Mitt Romney lost.

I am kidding! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

posted on Nov, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
7.5 just now GUATEMALA
earthquake.usgs.gov...

top topics

<< 253  254  255    257  258  259 >>

join