It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 259
<< 256  257  258    260  261  262 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
further to post by muzzy

as you can see on that list Mw doesn't kick in until 1999
Thats why I do all magnitude types on that 314-2012 blog, otherwise it would be pointless.

edit on 8-11-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Guatemala earthquake kills at least 52 people dead, President Otto Perez Molina said, including Giovanni, his grandfather and his uncle.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I noticed there were no forshocks to yesterday's 6.3 near Vancouver. The only thing that might be considered an Aftershock would be this small 2,8, [25 miles] deep, off the coast of Salem Oregon.
neic.usgs.gov...
Is it not unusual that there would be a lack of 4's and maybe a 5 on either side of the 6.3?
It just seems quiet.
I guess there are really no rules to how these quakes work?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
I noticed there were no forshocks to yesterday's 6.3 near Vancouver. The only thing that might be considered an Aftershock would be this small 2,8, [25 miles] deep, off the coast of Salem Oregon.
neic.usgs.gov...
Is it not unusual that there would be a lack of 4's and maybe a 5 on either side of the 6.3?
It just seems quiet.
I guess there are really no rules to how these quakes work?

I was wondering the same thing.
No aftershocks kind of worries me.
Something else I just noticed, and perhaps it will change, but the aftershocks stopped farther north(where the 7.7 was) after this 6.3.
Today is 11/08/12 (just took the screenshot now)
Not a single EQ in this region since the 6.3 yesterday.

Not sure if this is good or bad.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I do not have time to link lists. However, I have noticed that the 5 and 6's in this area have not had many aftershocks at all.

One of the 6's in the last year, I think, had none!!

Go figure.......Maybe all these recent 5 and 6's in the last 18 mos, south of the 7.4, might be foreshocks

edit on 8-11-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I noticed the same thing, too, but I wasn't sure if it was normal for the region or not. I thought we'd see a couple of aftershocks by now, going by at least the HG/QC Islands 7.7. It's indeed worrisome to not see that. It makes me wonder exactly what happened under there. Was that just a big release of pressure and now there's nothing left to want out, or did something act like the proverbial cork and are we looking at the pressure stress hitting hard at some point?

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
4.5 165km SSW of Port Hardy, Canada 2012-11-08 21:07:41 49.316°N 128.280°W

An aftershock.

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
4.5 165km SSW of Port Hardy, Canada 2012-11-08 21:07:41 49.316°N 128.280°W

An aftershock.

Of course there is another way to look at it with an equal chance of being right. It could be another forshock.

P

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yeah, but I would rather see it whip out a bunch of 4's and 5's than an 8.4.
So anything low is good as I see it.

Honestly I think these are for-shocks but then
I base that all on my own feelings.

edit on 8-11-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm seeing a 5.5 in Fukushima, Japan here:

www.jma.go.jp...

Now a 4.0 aftershock. But can't find it anywhere else yet.

Map: www.jma.go.jp...

WOQ

edit on 8-11-2012 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

Finally, it's on USGS as a 5.3:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 8-11-2012 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Finally got USG-USA/Alaska/PuertoRicoVirginIs./Hawaii 3+ maps and data up for October, I have given them 8 days to delete, add, downgrade, upgrade alter and generally manipulate the data

data downloaded today, so should include all revisions.
eqarchives.wordpress.com...

also at the same time I updated Yellowstone, all magnitudes.
eqarchives.wordpress.com...

Yellowstone way up in numbers, 93 for Oct,
PuertoRicoVirgin Is. way down on September 100 vs 375,
Alaska, well same old same old, 101 quakes above 3.0
Continental USA steady on 41

Google Earth crashed 3 times when building the KML files, and my laptop is still going slow, I'll have to reboot

posted on Nov, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
My pet theory at the moment, is that until we see a 8.5+ quake on both sides along the faults near Easter Island; the Cascadia won't go. (Vicinity Lat: 24°37'13.58"S long: 113° 4'46.23"W ) Once that area kicks off and shakes out, the stresses relieved there would pull greatly on the faults northward and likely force a 8.2-8.5 + in the region south of the Salton Sea. (Likely a 6-8 off of the California coast too.) Then I suspect it'd be 2-3 months (likely less) and the Cascadia would go.

It could be that I'm nuts, but I don't think enough energy has been released on that (Easter Island faults) region since the Japan 9.1, but my gut says once it kicks there, it's going to rattle hard enough to set the wrecking ball rolling.

I've been wrong before, likely will be again.

M.

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Any solid way to make a distinctions between an aftershocks and new EQ ?

[ex/e]Pre 4.< L51 A133[

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
oggi accogliamo con favore l'Italia al gruppo di countires coperto da eqarchives
( today we welcome Italy to the group of countires covered by eqarchives)

Italy 2012 magnitude 3+ monthly maps

The Earthquake Information Data Center (Centro Dati e Informazione sui Terremoti) is part of the Italian National Earthquake Center (Centro Nazionale Terremoti)
The parameters reported are the best estimates based on the available data and are constantly revised and subject to change, according to new acquired data. Even if all the parameters have been checked by analysts, no warranty, implicit or explicit, is attached to the data. INGV provides no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy, reliability or completeness of furnished data.
Every risk due to the improper use of data or the use of inaccurate information is assumed by the user.
© ISIDe Working Group (INGV, 2010), Italian Seismological Instrumental and parametric database

don't want to be arrested, put through the italian kangaroo court system and put in jail now do we ?

Interesting that during the Emilia-Romagna 5.8, 5.3, 5.2 and the series of aftershocks in May there was little else recorded in other parts of the country.
Average per month for Italy magnitude 3+ seems to be 18

posted on Nov, 9 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Did no one find the quake off Australia of interest?

Magnitude 5.1 - South Of Australia

Location in Google Maps
  • Date-Time: Friday, November 09, 2012 @ 05:51:42 UTC
  • Earthquake location: 42.727°S, 124.704°E,
  • Earthquake depth: 10.0 km
  • Distances:
    1013km (629mi) SSE of Esperance, Australia
    1039km (645mi) SSE of Albany, Australia
    1297km (805mi) SE of Busselton, Australia
    1310km (813mi) SE of Bunbury, Australia
    1430km (888mi) SSE of Perth, Australia
  • Event ID: usc000dpnv