It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 187
<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

NASA have an agenda and one cannot believe anything they say. They are just about the most discredited scientific organisation around these days.

Bummer. I was so hoping that Curiosity would be (or attempting to) landing on Mars tomorrow. Guess there's no point in watching.

BTW, it was an unprecedented satellite observation of Greenland's surface melt.

For several days this month, Greenland's surface ice cover melted over a larger area than at any time in more than 30 years of satellite observations.

www.nasa.gov...
edit on 8/5/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah Page but can you prove that they are landing Curiosity on Mars or is it all being done in studios?????? Mmm? Well this is a conspiracy site.

My point really was that the 2mm or whatever of surface melt because of the warm air stream for a couple of days was really completely irrelevant seeing as it is sat on 2 miles of ice, and satellites have not been collecting data long enough to be able to call the melt unprecedented. Whilst they may make interesting observations NASA and the media inferred that this was something serious and out of the ordinary, which it is not necessarily. Yes I say they have an agenda and yes they are discredited in that they sensationalise everything out of proportion.

The sun cycle is just one example. I am sure you are aware of the original hype by NASA as the current sun cycle began. It did not/has not come to pass despite their scare mongering.

It is a matter of terminology, and theirs is always tending towards the sensational.

dramatically accelerated
an extreme melt event
so extraordinary

edit on 5/8/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Anyone like some world seismicity on their Google Earth?

World Seismicity KMZ files

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

and satellites have not been collecting data long enough to be able to call the melt unprecedented.
It says it was an unprecended observation. It then goes on to say that melting at Summit occurred in 1889. Of course, in 1889 there were no satellites and no way to observe the entire island so again, this was an unprecedented observation. That does not mean the event was unprecedented and the article says that...explicitly.

Whilst they may make interesting observations NASA and the media inferred that this was something serious and out of the ordinary, which it is not necessarily.

Are you sure? Here is what the NASA article said:

Researchers have not yet determined whether this extensive melt event will affect the overall volume of ice loss this summer and contribute to sea level rise.

"Ice cores from Summit show that melting events of this type occur about once every 150 years on average. With the last one happening in 1889, this event is right on time," says Lora Koenig, a Goddard glaciologist and a member of the research team analyzing the satellite data. "But if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

I don't see anything from NASA inferring much of anything except that 97% of Greenland showed surface melting last month. Something they hadn't seen before. They made an observation, they aren't sure what it means. Blame the media for taking it and running. Blame the spinmeisters on both sides of the warming discussion for distorting the science. It isn't NASA who sensationalized it.

You don't think an increase in melt area from 40% to 97% in 4 days is dramatic? I do.
You don't think an increase in area of about 975,000 square kilometers in 4 days is extreme? I do.
Extraordinary? You bet. It was probably an extraordinary event the last time it happened too (even though the full extent of that is not known).

www.nasa.gov...

Now, back to earthquakes.
edit on 8/5/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Now, back to earthquakes.

Yes please!

PM, thanks for keeping us informed.

I don't trust NASA either...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
Anyone noticing an UPTICK in 4's and 5's all over the place lately, especially active over last 12 hours?

Seems like all the regular hotspots are rumbling at the same time.

Just seems a bit unusual to me.

ADD: Just need Japan to chime in now...

edit on 3-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added line

Taa-daa!!!
Two in Japan!

SOURCE: earthquake.usgs.gov...

WOQ

Oops, now three! Hmmm!
edit on 6-8-2012 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

Was only a matter of time

Anyone want to predict when & where the next 7+ quake will strike?

Can't believe it's been almost 4 months since the last one!

ADD: Sorry to those in Japan...seems like I awoke the 'earthquake gods' as there have now been 4 quakes between 4 and 5 mag in the last few hours (3 of them around the Ryukyu Islands alone!

edit on 6-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Was only a matter of time

ADD: Sorry to those in Japan...seems like I awoke the 'earthquake gods' as there have now been 4 quakes between 4 and 5 mag in the last few hours (3 of them around the Ryukyu Islands alone!

edit on 6-8-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

I'm thinking off Russia or Alaska, though it could also be anywhere near Oregon or CA.

Just a prediction like you asked for, though. No basis, just guessing.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Phage

My point really was that the 2mm or whatever of surface melt because of the warm air stream for a couple of days was really completely irrelevant seeing as it is sat on 2 miles of ice, and satellites have not been collecting data long enough to be able to call the melt unprecedented. Whilst they may make interesting observations NASA and the media inferred that this was something serious and out of the ordinary, which it is not necessarily. [B]Yes I say they have an agenda and yes they are discredited in that they sensationalise everything out of proportion.[/B]

my emphasis

Uhhh . . . I'd assert that they do so with stuff that is either inconsequential or a misdirection from other higher priority stuff which they refuse to acknowledge or get into because of the oligarchy's orders.

I used to be . . . uhhh . . . deluded enough by the propaganda to highly respect NASA. Too many NASA workers, retirees, whistle blowers have said to much for that respect to remain totally intact.

The sun cycle is just one example. I am sure you are aware of the original hype by NASA as the current sun cycle began. It did not/has not come to pass despite their scare mongering.

It is a matter of terminology, and theirs is always tending towards the sensational.

dramatically accelerated
an extreme melt event
so extraordinary

edit on 5/8/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

INDEED. imho, NASA is MOSTLY a propaganda, misdirection, distraction, smoke screen . . . to mostly hide and distract from the more important facts going on underneath the table. Time will tell.

I greatly appreciate your skills and efforts hereon regarding quakes . . . to present the truth of quakes regardless of the seemingly slippery mangling of data the government seems to deal in.

May God bless your efforts toward benefitting millions of folks who'd be destructively ignorant of the real facts otherwise.

Thanks for your objectivity, solid dealing in facts and fairly, imho, brilliant hard work in presenting the real facts.

Cheers.

edit on 6/8/2012 by BO XIAN because: addition

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

My guesstimates . . .

1. most likely, imho, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands area

2. Japan . . . area

3. Indonesia area

4. Chile

5. Oregon, Seattle NW area

6. Turkey

I'd have a hard time ranking 2-6 as to probability and I have no idea why I put Vanuatu first.

Part of me thinks that Indonesia might be slightly ahead of Chile in probability.

None of this is more than very slight nuances of hunch on my part. Drawing things out of a hat might easily be more accurate. LOL.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
IMHO Hyogo or Osaka or Wakayama Prefecture in Japan.

I live in Osaka at the moment and monitor JMA daily and the last few days there where suprisingly some really small quakes in this area. Since I moved from Yokohama 4 months ago, I have never seen quakes in this area or let's say not that many.

(Still just small ones and not that much, but a bit uncommon from my observation)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
2.9 2012/08/06 05:24:06 35.458 -96.513 5.0 5 km ( 3 mi) SW of Boley, OK
MAP 2.3 2012/08/03 06:59:13 35.628 -97.311 5.0 4 km ( 3 mi) SSE of Arcadia, OK
MAP 2.1 2012/08/01 23:35:09 35.590 -97.418 5.0 7 km ( 4 mi) NNE of Lake Aluma, OK
MAP 2.9 2012/07/31 16:03:39 35.506 -96.734 2.9 5 km ( 3 mi) WNW of Prague, OK
MAP 3.1 2012/07/30 19:35:07 35.470 -96.839 15.1 6 km ( 4 mi) N of Johnson, OK
Then Arkansas and Nebraska.

Wha
i got nothing. cept. i never did find out if there's any correlation between the low pressure system and that slavbad fault area.

yes we should return to quakes. and frackquakes. we can talk about weather influencing quakes like with rain/drought ratios. waves, etc. who caused this freaking warming earth is not an issue for me anymore.

I stand and say I am an army of one. It is not violent right now because I have a child to raise. On my own.
My war so far has been peaceful and only offensive to your sensibilities. Like when I applied hockey tape on the side on a mini-stationwagon and drove from near the US border to Toronto with STOP BUSH on the side of the car. My son was not impressed. It was his tape. Many, many Americans looked agaped when passing me as I was driving the speed limit. Exactly. Where was I. Yes, I am done with the debate. It's done. I lived and breathed this freaking experment all my life and this freakin summer was my last proof. The exclaimation point.

I moved. From Southern Ontario to near Winnipeg in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the North American Continent. I was looking for Winterpig. The snowiest, coldest place in the habitable part of Canada in the near North. I was in the North looking for the cold. This was the one sole purpose in my life. I wanted to bring my son to a cool place that would take longer to see the negative effects of the climate change. It started as soon as I got there. The weather was different from what the locals knew as kids and from what their grandparents had told them. Besides, I had gone to the Kenora Musuem and saw the winter pictures. But by the time I got there, real winters were a thing of the past. Sure, you'd get hints of it when the temp dropped below 30c. There was no cold. there is no more real winter left in North American Forest. The beetles are going to strip them clean and then they're going to burn. That's some more heat for ya and smoke.

I'm done. I'm only going to fight next. On here I wouldn't debate the cause. It's happening. That's the fact.

And as we run around looking for more energy to run our heat and more importantly, in this heat, to run our air conditioners. We will inevidenitbly (spelling disintigrating) have more spills, more fires and accidents, and more

FRACKQUAKES.
TM

Jimmy fracked holes and i don't care
jimmy fracked holes and i don't care
my masters gone away

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Wish I knew how to do a screen shot!

Check out where some of the recent activity seems to be centered:

Not so much:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

More here:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Better view, all lined up, but it cuts off Europe & the Middle East:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
Nice little string of pearls there. All the way across to Japan.

Europe & the Middle East:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Central & South America chiming in:
Peru, Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Honduras, Nicaragua & the Caribbean.
Could be effect of the 6.1, I guess.

SOURCE: earthquake.usgs.gov...

US in the last eight days:
NM, NE, OK, MO, IL, TN, AR, MS, SC & VA.
Go back a little more &:
TX, even NY & NJ.

SOURCE:folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

But Alaska is picking up, off Oregon & now central CA.
Plus Russia & now Japan.
Just seems like things are moderatly perking everywhere all at one time!!!

WOQ
edit on 6-8-2012 by wasobservingquietly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aLLeKs

Awesome someone on the ground in Japan

Yes there has been an increase in micro and very minor quakes around Wakayama since the 30th July, never noticed until you mentioned it, I have been watching offshore Kamaaishi there have been a lot of quakes around the same spot for weeks, I'm not familiar with the geographical features of Japan yet, looks like a seamount/ submarine volcano there?
Please take a look at what I've been doing (only for a week) mapping Japan using JMA and NIED data, its mind boggling the numbers of quakes, average 250-300 per day across all the islands
eqarchivesj.wordpress.com...

The way I have set up the maps you can zoom each map into the same spot and see trends over 10 days at a time (I could do more per page but it would slow down the icons loading).
I'm a day away from bringing the NIED preliminary data and JMA data together, to get a continuous date run, there is a 4 day lag between the 2.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Tongariro volcano erupts
-- posts and links on Volcano Watch 2012

so now we know what an eruption looks like on a Geonet seimso

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
There was an earthquake last night near Parkfield California measuring 4.5. It seems odd there has not been a noticeable amount of aftershocks associated with this event. Hopefully this is not a fore-shock.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Here's a more recent screenshot from the Tongariro seismograph drum.

It appears there has been another tremor which could indicate another minor eruption, albeit a smaller one than the original eruption last night. What I find interesting in this screenshot is the apparent noise in the signal in the last 6 or 8 hours compared to the 6 hours or so after the initial eruption. Perhaps this is due to some kind of smoothing of the earlier data, as there seems to be a bit of noise immediately after the initial eruption in the earlier screenshot. If anyone has a better idea of what's going on in the more recent seismograph readings, feel free to elaborate.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Could be the weather - quite often wind shows up on the drums?
The weather is pretty awful around there right now.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
First hand experience - trampers oblivious to Tongariro's eruption!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Data file downloaded 075756
Bad lines encountered: 0
Additions to database: 10
Corrections to records: 112
Count of lines: 1052
Magnitude 6+ earthquakes downgraded: 1
Magnitude 5 or 6+ earthquakes upgraded: 0
------------------------------------------------------------------
Downgraded quake
us|b000bin6|?|Sunday, July 29, 2012 12:22:11 UTC|14.191|-92.294|5.9|18|?|36km SSW of Ocos, Guatemala
Log closed 075803
------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: QVSData program

Downgrade of Guatemala to below 6. This came in when I switched on this morning so it was downgraded some time between 0829 IST on the 6th (the previous log file date) and today @ 0751 IST (UTC+1)

Strange how it is always 8 days or so after the event. Mmm.

new topics

top topics

<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join