It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.A. Regains Top Spot As Worlds Most Charitable Nation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
US Regains Top Spot as Worlds Most Charitable Nation

After finishing 5th last year, the US has once again reclaimed 1st place as the world's most charitable nation

The Washington Post, reporting on the survey, shows that wealth and charity don't necessarily go together. Of the world's top 20 wealthiest nations, only 5 made it into the top 20 most charitable.

And who is bringing up the rear as least charitable nations? China, Russia, and India

NPR - US Takes Top Spot as Most Charitable Nation

"Overall the World Giving Index demonstrates that the world has become a more charitable place over the last 12 months — with a 2 percent increase in the global population 'helping a stranger' and a 1% increase in people volunteering," CAF said in its press release.

Washington Post - US Jumps to Top of Charity Index

The survey relied on data from the Gallup polling organization, and asked whether people had donated money (two-thirds of Americans), volunteered their time (43 percent) or helped a stranger in the preceding month (73 percent).

The survey’s authors noted that charitable behavior is not correlated with wealth. Of the 20 countries that the World Bank ranks richest by gross domestic product, only five made it into the top 20 of the index

World Giving Index

Merry Christmas.

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Even though I'm sure that someone will somehow manage to find a way to turn this into a "bash the US thread" shortly, allow me as a non-American to say "Well done USA, you should be justifiably Proud!".

Seriously though, Kudos to you.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonicology
someone will somehow manage to find a way to turn this into a "bash the US thread" shortly,

Yep ... I'm sure. either that or it will be ignored because it's something GOOD about America and people have more fun bashing. Anyways ... something nice and positive for the Christmas season.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Am I reading this report correctly?

Iceland is number 2? That's odd since they really don't have a big GDP.

I am assuming this a per captia type of report and not monetary.

Though I guess they do go hand in fist.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Am I on ATS? Wow the first pro US post I have seen. Not that we don't deserve most of the s# we take but geesh.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I am assuming this a per captia type of report and not monetary.

World Giving Index
PDF files, etc etc. You can click on this and read the information.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
How can this be?

I thought the US was the great Satan !

There must be a mistake!!!

List of top 5

1.) USA
2.) Ireland
3.) Australia
4.) New Zealand
5.) United Kingdom

Interesting list

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I did take the time to read it.

Must have missed something though. PDF's do that to me.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I am happy to hear some positive data like this about the Americanaz... Good job
the leading superpower must set global example. It makes other nations that may dislike see the logical effects of positive activities.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I find it very surprising that far left leaning countries, even those with communist regimes, place so low on the scale. And Canada, where is Canada I thought they'd be somewhere in the top 5.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am guessing this report is from the charities the rich donate too.

Cause I can guarantee that the U.S. upsets more people then any other corporation.

I mean we just got done with the war in Iraq, after Bush declared it was won years ago.

Just to move onto Iran and they're still in Afghan...

Deductive reasoning, helps shed light on why the U.S.A. is #1 in charity donations.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Americans in general have more cash then most of the rest of the world. People are more generous when they have more spare cash, I know I am.

So this does not mean Americans are more charitable imo, just more wealthy, and guilty.

Arguably Americans support capitalism more than any other people, and that is the reason we have charities in the first place. Also America has more of it's own people, military etc., in other countries than anyone else. We take from them with one hand, and give them back charity with the other.

BTW this is not a bash, just a taste of reality in a post of back slappers. Why is it Americans are so insecure and feel the need to be loved by everyone, or think your better than them?

If it wasn't for the capitalism you all so blindly support, we wouldn't need charities. The world already produces enough to feed everyone and has done for a long time...

Artificial scarcity in a world of overproduction: an ecape that isn't

hungry conscience
charity, hilarity
starving millions
prevention, cure
a few pence shed and both are fed
a few pence shed and both are fed

the money we donate to charity
is too small to be of real consequence
but large enough to ease our conscience

Flux of Pink Inians

edit on 12/21/2011 by ANOK because: typo

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
How can this be?

I thought the US was the great Satan !

1.) USA
2.) Ireland
3.) Australia
4.) New Zealand
5.) United Kingdom

I always wonder when will the next "Up and coming Global Power" cough cough... China Cough make the list? Arent they sitting on a huge monetary surplus? I also don't see any of the other "BRIC" countries listed either.

Oh yeah, never mind...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Thanks we were really hoping for a Communist to come in here and bring the thread down. As I stated in my own post: How surprising Communist countries don't feel the need to charitably assist their fellows. They rely on Government.

The US Tax Code is structured to allow citizens the right to take a percentage of their tax and income and donate it as a method of redirection of tax funds. This is probably why USA charity is as high as it is, we encourage people to support ideas and institutions that coincide with their beliefs. We have a history of supporting worthy causes without the Government being directly involved, because government run anything fails.

But since you want to rail against Americans for just being "rich" .. the average US wage being under $40k a year, you would simply be dead wrong. Many European countries have higher standards of living than the US, and have higher yearly salaries .. yet who donates a higher percentage of time and income? Americans, only Ireland and the UK are able to say as much. The rest of Europe?

It all comes down to Government size and taxes.. higher taxes and larger governments = lower charity. I know you'd prefer government work camps, everone wearing blue overalls and names replaced with numbers, I prefer donating to worthy causes of my choosing and when their standards fail, unlike government, I can choose to donate elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
BTW this is not a bash, just a taste of reality in a post of back slappers. Why is it Americans are so insecure and feel the need to be loved by everyone, or think your better than them?

So on the rare occasion that something positive about the US/West comes out. [I say US/West because the Top 5 are all Western Countries] You think we are slapping ourselves on the back for simply acknowledging a positive?

What would you rather us do?
Ignore it?

Seems you were all too eager to come bursting out from under your rock to get a zinger in on the US. Well I think this shows the US/West are more generous than the rest of the world. I'm willing to bet if you checked going back not just years but decades the West has always been more generous.

edit on 21-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I find it very surprising that far left leaning countries, even those with communist regimes, place so low on the scale. And Canada, where is Canada I thought they'd be somewhere in the top 5.

We slipped up and landed in 7th spot.

Edit to add (silly me):
Congrats at getting #1 USA. Definitely a USA is #1 to be proud of.

edit on 21-12-2011 by peck420 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
So this does not mean Americans are more charitable imo, just more wealthy, and guilty.

Um ... no. The scale used takes into account how much people earn vs how much they give. If someone makes less and gives the same amount, they'd be MORE generous. Can you understand how that works? It's got nothing to do with the total amount, but instead it's a percentage factor involved.

Why is it Americans are so insecure and feel the need to be loved by everyone, or think your better than them?

Why is it that anti-Americans are so insecure that they feel they have to bash the FACT that Americans are generous?

If it wasn't for the capitalism you all so blindly support, we wouldn't need charities.

Yeah .. communism works sooooo well. It's a freak'n paradise.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
... and another one ...

Originally posted by Quickfix

Charities Aid Foundation Information

Information paraphrase from their site - Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) is an international not-for-profit organisation providing the knowledge, infrastructure, back-office administration and ongoing management for world wide charities such as as the United Nations World Food Programme. They work with business', individuals, companies, and other non profit organizations around the world and have done so for 80 years.

The CAF took into account not only money donated but time and volunteering.

Ya'll have to face it ... Americans are generous.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The last report I read on this, and apologies because I honestly can not remember where so I can't provide a source, used GDP, I think, as the metric, and guess what...the UK and US were ranked 1 and 2.

Point is...the two most hated countries in the world are actually amongst the most giving and caring.

And who are the first to offer practical assisstance whenever any earthquake or other natural disaster occurs, regardless of location?
Yet again....the US and UK.

Of course the PC brigade and all the self-haters will conveniently forget this or apply their warped bigotry to it and put some anti-US / UK spin on it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix

Cause I can guarantee that the U.S. upsets more people then any other corporation.

I mean we just got done with the war in Iraq, after Bush declared it was won years ago.

Just to move onto Iran and they're still in Afghan...

Deductive reasoning, helps shed light on why the U.S.A. is #1 in charity donations.

You apparently have NO idea how much the US exports in foreign aid, and sending money directly to governments for foreign aid..

Not to mention were almost always the first on the scene when there is a natural disaster......

We had Navy ships and crewmen providing aid after the great japan quake and tsunami, within NO time of the event......

Same with the massive tsunami that hit thailand.........etc etc.....

But people dont want to hear this.............they want to conveniently forget these facts in favor of the "Destroyer of Nations" stance......

............wait for it..........

"Well you guys should , with all the people you killed in the middle east"

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join