It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson Blasts SNL Tebow Skit: ‘There’s an Anti-Christian Bigotry‘ That’s ‘Disgustin

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Wow, this lets you know how wacko the religious branch of U.S. conservatism really is.

news.yahoo.com...

“If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that, and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off!”

“And bodies on the street!” interjected co-anchor Terry Meeuwsen. “And bodies on the street!” Robertson repeated. “And we think it’s okay.”

We have our own religious nut case calling for a slaughter of the infidels.

And large numbers of people send this guy money all of the time, tax free income.

edit on 20-12-2011 by poet1b because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/20/2011 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--BPN requires using EXACT headline.

Tell me something. What is more wacko? Him stating the truth about how the Muslim world has and would react to something like this? Or you trying so hard to find something to criticize about him. Get a life dude. Seriously.
edit on 20-12-2011 by stonedogdiary because: I meant to comment at the bottom but submitted before I had a chance.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

What else do you call it when a man suggests that the Muslim response of bodies in the street for a comedy skit is the right response.

If this isn't a call for religious extremism, then what is it?

Hypocritical,sacrilegious, stupid, a good reason to not take him or Christianity seriously?

Mr. Uber Christian is not calling for Sharia Law. Sharia law is Islamic law.... If you think that a Christian Extremist is calling for Islamic law, you are sorely mistaken.
edit on 20-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

reply to post by micmerci

I think I see something that a lot of people are missing, and I am trying to get out the word.

That has been my point from the beginning.

We aren't missing anything. With all due respect you are seeing something that is not there.

Pat Robertson is a Christian. He is not calling for Sharia ( read islamic) law. Honestly, the very suggestion makes no sense.

He is comparing the way he feels Islamic people would react to such a thing, to how we reacted to this SNL skit. He is saying that he does not understand why more people are not upset by the skit.

That's all.

He is not calling for Christians to start killing people and throwing bombs...

I can't even stand the man, but you are wrong about him on this one...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

WOW. So much for tracking what Robertson et al said.

I'd be more descriptive about how your post came off but I'm trying to be calm and civil.

1. Most rational folks I'm acquainted with would have had no trouble understanding and agreeing with Robertson's points.

2. Basically, he was saying that

IF . . . IF . . . a pretty short word . . . IF

the USA were a Muslim country

and

IF

in said Muslim country

An SNL skit had been done similarly to that one but against Islam

THEN

there would be violence aplenty; bombs aplenty as a result of the skit.

I don't know how to make it any simpler.

However, If the above

IF . . . THEN

construction is puzzling or confusing, please let me know and I'll see if I can reword it.

Basically, Robertson was protesting the increasingly horrific anti-Christian hostility expressed so commonly on the MSM and in public life in this Judeo-Christian founded Nation.

Of course, you wouldn't know anything about that, obviously.

/s

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1bPat is calling for a major component of Sharia law, and it is clear to anyone not blinded by religious beliefs.

IF you really believe what you're saying above . . .

I'm shocked, aghast, flabbergasted, incredulous, . . .

He's not even in the same galactic cluster that you're talking about.

He's not saying anything REMOTELY in the ball park.

I thought we were about DENYING IGNORANCE on ATS, not multiplying it.

Perhaps you would profit from taking a very long break from reading anything about Christianity until you are calm and objective enough to interpret the word meanings the more or less same way the rest of us do.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

DEAR ALL THE RABIDLY-FINGER-FROTHING-HOSTILE-TO-CHRISTIANITY FOLKS

who wish to respond to Pat Robertson.

1. Please, FIRST . . . sit down calmly and take several slow breaths . . . about 6-8 seconds in and 6-8 seconds out for 30-90 seconds.

2. Put the DAFFYNITIONARY away and get out a standard dictionary.

3. PRETEND as hard as you can that you're going to listen and respond in as rational a way as possible.

4. PRETEND as hard as you can as long as you can that Pat is speaking English in a mostly rational way and more or less deserves a mostly rational response and/or commentary.

5. PRETEND that when you have finished responding or commenting to Pat's pontifications, and maybe after your hyperventilating and your frightful apocalyptic fantasmagorical fantasies have dissipated, that you just MIGHT like your readers to consider you at least a little bit sanER than you seem to consider Pat Robertson.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Whys everyone picking on Pat, He is pretty with it for His age, and a good Christian.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Looks like this issue is heating up. The LA Times also has a story about the comments.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

“If this had been a Muslim country and they had done that and had Muhammad doing that stuff, you would have found bombs being thrown off and bodies on the street,” he said.

Where does Pat condemn what the Muslim reaction might have been?

Sounds to me like he is condoning it. There is nothing right about this comment.

Then on Fox news the response to the skit is even more hostile.

Robertson wasn’t the only one who took offense — Bob Beckel, speaking on Fox News’ “The Five,” called the sketch “despicable.”

“First of all, it’s despicable to display Jesus Christ, our Lord and savior, like that on ‘Saturday Night Live’ and they should be ashamed of themselves,” Beckel said. “And the fact that this keeps drawing attention to Tebow and Christianity and faith and Jesus and they make it into some sort of a commercial operation … there’s nothing funny about that.”

It has been a long tradition to joke about peoples version of Christianity in the U.S., now suddenly it shouldn't be tolerated. I think this view is anti-Christian.

Interesting how quick everyone is to criticize me for expressing my opinion, and pass judgement. How dare people see Jesus as having a sense of humor. How dare I be upset that some supposed Christian talks about how bad such a skit is, and then goes on to give an example of how the Muslims would react. Pat doesn't express anything that suggests he would disapprove of the Muslim reaction, which makes me think he approves of it.

I think people like Pat make Christianity and Christ look bad.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Where does Pat condemn what the Muslim reaction might have been?

Sounds to me like he is condoning it. There is nothing right about this comment.

Why would he condemn something that did not happen? SNL did not make a video with Tim Tebow and Allah. Kind of hard to condemn a possible reaction they might have had.

And well, you are hearing it wrong. He is simply saying he does not understand why people are not more upset about it. He is not calling for Sharia law. He is a Christian and I think you will be hard pressed to find any Christian calling for such a thing.

You are equally likely to see a die hard Islamic man, praying to Moses.... It just makes no sense.

And I am not passing judgement on you. Simply stating my opinion,( Which happens to be the majority opinion) which happens to differ from yours.

Don't take it so personal.

Pat is simply saying that he does not understand why more people are not upset about the sketch. He is not calling for sharia law or for any type of violence. That is all anyone is saying. That he is not calling for sharia law.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jondave
Whys everyone picking on Pat, He is pretty with it for His age, and a good Christian.

1. He's candid and assertive and stands tall and vigorous in behalf of Charismatic/Pentecostal/Dispensational Christianity.

2. He's human and sometimes given to saying silly &/or mildly outrageous things. Most of such, in his later years, is likely attributable to age and speaking faster than he's thought his words through. Some of it is just his quirky personality, imho.

3. AS you likely know, satan is energetic and successful at getting the current culture to be increasingly hostile to Christianity.

4. Part of that effort is exemplified by the Homeland Security documents delcaring that Christians who believe in the 2nd Coming, The Rapture etc. could 'rightly' be considered terrorists.

5. Because Pat is or has been such a public figure, even running for President . . . he's a great target of the rabidly-hostile-to-Christianity-frothing-at-the-fingers crowd.

6. The idea that someone like him just even very remotely MIGHT put a crimp in their rebellions or -hump-every-thing-that-wiggles-whenever-wherever mentalities and practicies just sends many such over the edge of anything remotely resembling sanity.

7. They seem INCAPABLE OR UNWILLING to realize that the satanic Religion of Scientism dogma that man is nothing more than a rat, a pigeon, a radish or a rock HAS CONSEQUENCES. They seem utterly clueless that such values CAN ONLY RESULT in them being treated like rocks--the lowest common denominator--objects in the great globalist machine--useful for a while--then a useless eater to be exterminated at will or at the earliest opportunity.

Brilliant, obviously.

/sarc

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Christ has a great sense of humor.

As the Bible declares . . . He will ultimately have the unGodly in great derision.

However, He's often given to puns as well as cute kinds of warm an fuzzy personal jokes in the lives of those who Love Him.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

What hasn't happened?

Muslims have not rioted because they thought Muhammad had been misrepresented?

Why did Pat bring this up.

No one has answered this question. I question his motives here. I think he is condoning violent reaction to a comedy skit about Christ, and no one has made an honest comment to convince me otherwise.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Nice try.

There's no way digging your way out of the hole of your OP.

It was absurd and inaccurate to the max.

Weasel worded rationalizations after the fact just won't wash.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I think Pat is hostile to the true teachings of Christ. Pat is on the side of the money changers if you ask me.

And you are too eager to throw that stone.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

And your constant personal attacks against me make me more certain that I am right.

So I am not on the road well traveled here. Which road are you on?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

What hasn't happened? I answered that in my previous post but will be glad to answer it again.Muslims have not killed people and thrown bombs because of a skit about Tim Tebow and Allah. That has not happened....

So, again, how can you condemn a potential reaction to something that does not even exist?

You may not think our comments are honest, but they are. You may not agree with the majority, but that does not make them any less honest. With all due respect not everyone is going to agree with you.

It just so happens I do not agree with you.

Tell me. Do you honestly believe that he called for Sharia law? Do you honestly believe that a Christian man, is calling for Islamic law? Really? You don't see how that makes no sense?

He said that if such a video happened and made fun of Allah, that Muslim people would kill people in the streets. That is his opinion, and yes, people have Muslims have gotten mad about comic strips. But really, he does not know how they would react in the future. He cannot predict the future.

He is trying to say that Muslims get upset when their savior is made fun of and he cannot understand why more people do not get upset when Jesus is made fun of...That is all....There is no call to murder and bomb anyone or anything from Pat.

So,you feel your question is not being answered. I disagree...But if you still have more questions. Please, ask away.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

No one has answered this question. I question his motives here. I think he is condoning violent reaction to a comedy skit about Christ, and no one has made an honest comment to convince me otherwise.

WRONG AGAIN.

We have responded with a solid answer.

He was merely pointing out the duplicity in the MSM and in the culture.

If the SNL skit had been about Islam--even IN THIS CULTURE--MUCH MORE SO IN A MUSLIM CULTURE

there would have been violence in the streets and at the studio. Heads would have rolled.

He has a perfectly AMERICAN RIGHT to protest the outrageous double standard.

The idea that he was advocating violence to the least degree is ABSOULTELY ABSURD TO THE MAX.

He funds aid projects helping the poor where 100% of the contributions to such projects REACHES THE POOR. CBN covers the overhead to insure that 100% goes TO THE POOR etc. There are few internationally known Christians or any other faith person who has DEMONSTRATED MORE PERSONAL COMPASSION AND WORK TO MINIMIZE VIOLENCE around the world.

You owe the man a vigorous apology.

There's not a SHRED of truth to your allegation to the least degree in the least way.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

The way you can't understand any of the very sensible replies to your posts....leads me to believe, you my friend are a fanatic. What are you so darn angry about. You have been proven wrong 10 times over...even to the point of having to change the title of this thread to represent the truth, instead of the lie you first had posted when you started this thread.

What are so angry about. Your original anger was based on an untrue statement YOU posted. So, now what is it that has you so riled up. You appear to be running in a circle. Like it says in my sig....If you find yourself in a hole...stop digging.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Evidently you have difficulty telling the difference between

ATTACKS ON A PERSPECTIVE, A BELIEF, AN IDEA, a false construction on 'reality' . . .

vs on someone's person or personhood.

Carry on as you see fit.

Your nonsense is a great help to my value orientation, by contrast.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

He is trying to say that Muslims get upset when their savior is made fun of and he cannot understand why more people do not get upset when Jesus is made fun of...That is all....

And he does so by bringing up an example where others use violence as a reaction, without saying that the violent reaction is wrong.

It is too close to a call for violence IMO, and someone should stand up and say this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join