It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trend: Portrayal of People in the South U.S. as Ignorant

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I spent several years in the deep south as a way to experience more of America and expand my perceptions. As a west coaster I was in total culture shock for the first few months and truly have never felt more alien around my fellow men in my life.

The best way I can come to describe my observations is people were " slack jawed ". There was a characteristic in the faces of people I tuned into immediately. I am used to individuals being vigilant and alert and my perception was the people around me were taking it slow both in life and in higher cognitive functions. To myself there was a pronounced relaxation of the facial muscles and at times I felt like a wolf among countless lambs.

I have never in all my years experienced a culture so inherently racist and religiously fervent yet bankrupt at the same time. In the end I just could not get along with any native white folks at all and my friends were other bewildered individuals who had managed to end up there from out of state.

I believe the prevalent forces of ignorance in the deep south go hand and hand with a desire for their world to not change, it seemed to be a common theme for individuals to decry progress and the more modern ideals from the rest of the nation mixed with giant heaps of still raw butt hurt from losing the civil war.

Beautiful country, best BBQ and fried chicken I ever had in my life. But you couldn't pay me to ever live there again.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity

I believe the prevalent forces of ignorance in the deep south go hand and hand with a desire for their world to not change, it seemed to be a common theme for individuals to decry progress and the more modern ideals from the rest of the nation mixed with giant heaps of still raw butt hurt from losing the civil war.

Beautiful country, best BBQ and fried chicken I ever had in my life. But you couldn't pay me to ever live there again.

LaughingatHumanity, I could not be in agreement more. I lived in Tennessee for 4 years, I have never met more vile, hate-filled people in all my life. They talk a lot about those "Crazy Californians" but most had never even MET a Californian. They love to go on and on about how evil and sinful we are. It used to amaze me how as soon as church let out, all the strip clubs would fill up and all the cars in the parking lots would have their big ol' Jesus fish on them. There were a few decent people..but not many.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've traveled the U.S. extensively, and am always so happy to get to the south. It's so beautiful, the weather is often wonderful, and I really love the southern culture. And yes, grits are great! Thanks Kat for the grits casserole recipe. Sounds awesome. I want to try it.

It is interesting though, each state has it's own little "persona", or reputation. I wonder if one never lives a bad one down? Most people who have traveled through the south, (more than just stopping in a country store on county road, lol), can easily see how progressive the south is in many ways. And it's so clean! Clean air and tall trees. I love it.

It would be interesting to have a list of all the states, and have people write down one word they associate with that state. I'm sure we would all be insulted in one way or another!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
I saw an ad for a show the other day called "Hillbilly Hand Fishin". I was wondering how they would stretch the topic of noodling into an episode let alone an entire series.
edit on 19-12-2011 by theovermensch because: the other day
"cause those dumb Yankees can't get enuff of that stuff. Makes them feel better about themselves.(just kidding!)
Speaking as an offical Florida Cracker I'm of the opinion that ignorant is pretty evenly spread around the north, south, east and west. Along with smart too.
:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I live in Kentucky, and I'm proud to say that I'm glad they found a great representative for our state via the show "Call of the Wildman". If you haven't seen it, watch it. We all act like that.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Born and raised in Ky but have lived many other places.
I still love grits and have them at least once a week. I
ask my grandson when he was 9 what he wanted to
be when he grew up - he said a Redneck Mammaw!
I love my southern friends and family, they are good
people - wouldn't trade them for any other.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
That is just plane wrong. I got me a colletch edjumacation and I kan read some too.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
o wahh.

everyone has to deal with their stereotypes!

Embrace it!

although i do not agree with the whole southerners are "stupid" stereotype..yes maybe they score lower overall on national tests, but stupid-er than the rest of us? i don't buy it.

But yes OP, i'm all for less division of people!

Thanks for voicing your concern.

it's the hicks that drive around in their fords, killin things and being ignorant to others that are making a bad name for yall.

Oh and one more thing! You southerners do know how to welcome a guest, if the rest of the world could adopt your old school southern hospitality that'd be great!
edit on 19-12-2011 by dannotz because: add

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Two words come to mind: Jay Leno.

Want two more words? Kathy Griffin.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllInMyHead
They talk a lot about those "Crazy Californians" but most had never even MET a Californian. They love to go on and on about how evil and sinful we are.

Funny - isn't it.

I'd say California (in general) doesn't really have a culture (except for pockets of ethnic culture). They have more of a "live - let live" kind of attitude.

I've heard Californians are unfriendly because they don't say Hello. But truthfully - - its about not getting in someone else's space.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I have only 2 things to add to this thread.

1. The whole world thinks of the US as ignorant.
2. According to Chuck Norris everyone in Texas believes in god, wears cowboy hats and drives a pickup truck.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LaughingatHumanity

Where was it that you visited? Trust me, not all people here are as you described! I know the type you mentioned, but there are people like that everywhere. Bible thumping racist hicks are not the norm. See, that's what I mean. You had the unfortunate experience of encoutering an area like this. But it is an exception, not the rule. As for being "slow"....people in the south are just more laid back....I felt "alien" when I went to Maryland too. The people were great, but I felt like an oddity
Everyone was so rushed and stressed (it seemed to me)....like I said, I have lived in the south all my life, and I have seen the bad and the good. The bad is very bad, and the good is very good. This can be said of any location though. Southern people are some of the most good hearted people you will ever encounter....you just ran into the wrong ones. I'm sorry you had a bad experience here. I hope you won't judge all based on that. As I said in an earlier post, after starting this thread, I came to realize that we all seem to have stereotypes of places....and they are usually wrong. Thanks for posting, and I hope that you'll come back some day and have a better experience.....most people are great!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by angeldoll

It would be interesting to have a list of all the states, and have people write down one word they associate with that state. I'm sure we would all be insulted in one way or another!!!

Great idea...you are so right!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

I mentioned "turtle man" earlier....but at least that show (from what I have seen) is sort of presented as farce....like he's some kind of "superhero Hillbilly"....they don't present him as a rep of the true way of life there...it's meant to be funny.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

o wahh.

Not crying....just making an observation. As for the "test scores" and all that....much of it has to do with poverty. That is exactly what ticks me off.....the idea that somehow we are inferior intellectually(?) It's just not true. It is an unfair assumption based on a small group of people.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz

although i do not agree with the whole southerners are "stupid" stereotype..yes maybe they score lower overall on national tests, but stupid-er than the rest of us? i don't buy it.

Washington D.C. has the lowest test scores in the nation.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

No sorry! i agree with you!

The rest of my post was very nice towards yall, i should've done without the "oh wah"

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

thanks, i was just tipping my hat to an earlier post by someone else.

But yes now that you mention it, i have heard that.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Sorry...you're right. I just thought you meant I was a whiner.....carry on, everything's cool!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Every reality show does this! They get the worst stereo type and use it. It gives them ratings, they don't care if it's inaccurate..

Nice rant because I agree!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join