It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Trend: Portrayal of People in the South U.S. as Ignorant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

EXACTLY....about the "Jersey Shore" comment. I mean if they want to make a show based on a characature....fine...but don't put it out as reality.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Yeah.....I go "Noodlin" all the time!....NOT. Like I said, if they want to make a show on "hand fishing"....fine....I'm sure there are country people who may do this...but it's not the norm. The point I'm trying to make is not with one particular show...it's a whole slew of these shows, and every one of them focuses on these characatures of the "wild Hillbilly who doesn't own a toothbrush and hunts his dinner down each day"
I have to admit, I laugh sometimes (especially "turtle Man") on animal planet. But I just wish they could do something about our area which is a little more realistic. We had such bad press during Katrina and the Superdome fiasco...I just want people to know that we have a lot to offer here, and it doesn't involve jumping in a duck crap filled pond to "rastle" a gater

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Try THIS! It is delicious! Why did they think there were bugs in grits? Just so everyone knows, grits are just ground corn.

Baked Grits and Chesse Casserole
Ingredients
6 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups regular grits
16 ounces Cheddar, cubed
1/2 cup milk
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
8 ounces grated sharp white Cheddar
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 4-quart casserole dish.

Bring the broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the grits and whisk until completely combined. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grits are thick, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the cubed Cheddar and milk and stir. Gradually stir in the eggs and butter, stirring until all are combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with the white Cheddar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until set.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Oh well - - I live near Hollywood, CA.

Guess its a stereotype tradeoff.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

See? We really should all learn more about each other. When I was in Maryland, I was asked how we get around with parades going on all the time (like Mardi Gras)
People think of New Orleans and think of Mardi Gras and Bourbon Street. That is part of it ....but there is so much more, and I wish more people knew of the culture.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by thesungod

Why do you think that makes you ignorant. That's a choice you made, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying that these people are any better or worse than anyone else....they live how they want to live, and if it makes them happy....fine. It's the TV shows I take issue with, and they way they present them as a general way of life....not the exception.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by lbndhr

Thanks...and very true. I really appreciate that!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Haaaa Haaa! Good one! After reading some of these posts, I realize it's not just the south, but I do feel we get more than our share. I mean everyplace has their "characters"....

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

OK....there you go....that's what I mean. How do you know this? Let's see some data

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
SOCA

Baywatch
Housewives of Orange County.

You're "gator swampers" - - - we're all tan, run around in size 0 bikinis, and shoot up Botox.

The population of Orange Country alone is 3,010,232. Stereotyped by what - - 5 women on a"reality" TV show?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Are you a movie star or a producer/director?
Joking.....but making a point.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Point taken....and you're right....thanks for that!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by Annee

Are you a movie star or a producer/director?
Joking.....but making a point.

Born and raised near beach area (no I don't surf). My kid does work in production.

We can't deny that these stereotypes really are a part of our areas.

However - California is still mostly agricultural and those farmers don't tend to be liberal or wear size 0 bikinis.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Right..."key word"...."part" of the culture. I'll bet it's a small part too. That's the point I was trying to make. Have you ever tried grits?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I come from Long Island and trust me i get stereotyped all the time, especially when i am up at school (up state NY). A lot of people think all kids from LI are spoiled rich kids who drive around in brand new BMWs or Mercedes, for the most part this isn't true, although there are a decent amount of kids like that and i hate them just as much as anyone outside of NY
In the end its just TV producers trying to make money by feeding a "reality" show to viewers who know nothing about the actual lifestyle that the people on the show live. Oh and i get a lot of Jersey shore comments too, since we are so close lol

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VinnyPNY

I wish I could change the title of my thread now....to include stereotypes from all areas....interesting!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

. It seems like these producers go out of their way to find the most backwoods ignorant people, and exploit them....

BINGO!

That's exactly what they're doing. Not so much to discredit the South, but because they find people that will do it for little or nothing. They find those people in the South. Ever watch Jerry Springer? The majority of people on there have deep South accents. Why? Same reason. If you took that show at face value, you would think everyone in the South is a spouse cheating, diaper wearing pedophile strung out on crack.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

That's so true. Since Katrina and the BP thing, those are the people who are hurting the most. As soon as I saw that shrimping show, I thought that....they found the most disadvatnaged people and said "we'll give you your own show, you'll be famous!"....and these people snatched it up, because it was a godsend to them. Where else can someone with limited education make that kind of money? Shrimpers are having it tough now since BP screwed things up.....and they ( the producers) saw an opportunity. Funny thing is...in the REAL world, the guys and gals who do this are struggling because they can barely FIND shrimp (compared to before) In this show they are hauling them in right and left. A friend of mine (Who owns a seafood store and KNOWS what the situation is) said he thinks they are fishing somewhere else.....NOT the gulf, because no one else is raking it in like that. I bet that show is sponsored by BP to show how "great" the seafood industry is doing....joking (....but not really)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

reply to post by N3k9Ni

A friend of mine (Who owns a seafood store and KNOWS what the situation is) said he thinks they are fishing somewhere else.....NOT the gulf, because no one else is raking it in like that. I bet that show is sponsored by BP to show how "great" the seafood industry is doing....joking (....but not really)

I honestly wouldn't be surprised

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

. It seems like these producers go out of their way to find the most backwoods ignorant people, and exploit them....

BINGO!

That's exactly what they're doing. Not so much to discredit the South, but because they find people that will do it for little or nothing.

I don't agree. Its mostly about sensationalism.

Did you know there is a Talent Agency for reality shows? You ever notice some of these people show up on several shows?

I suppose some are recruited - - but mostly people write in to be on shows.

Its amazing what some people with do for 5 minutes of "fame".

"Who's your daddy" - - seemed to be mostly from East Los Angeles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join