It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet was Shut Off last night.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

You are right. You should have further explained what the "customer" doesn't know, that the whole communications industry works the same way. Doesn't matter if its TW, comcast, att, cox, brighthouse, direct, dish. After 15 years I came to the conclusion greed and quarterly numbers trump logic every time. Not to mention all the equipment we use is made by the cheapest bidder; motorola, scientific atlanta, texas instruments, 2wire, just to name the few majors for the hardware that is in the customers property. Ask the next phone/cable installer you meet how many extra boxes/modems/mtas he carries everyday. If he has to install 12 dvrs in a day he will take 16 with him. Brand new that is the fail rate. And as stated, you can have lock/sync without being able to surf for a large number of reasons. Also as stated, you could call but I wouldn't because you will never get a hold of anybody that knows why it wasn't working. That is the other thing I learned; all communications companies suck at communicating even with each other, let alone the customers.
edit on 18-12-2011 by ludshed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

Nope Chicagoland internet was up and running.

Do you have a military installation near you?

Notice any unusual increase in military movement lately?

Maybe your hub was tired and needed a rest.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97

I understand completely how ispdsl which may or may not be what he is using operate...As a tech, I have seen a lot of weird issues working calls, but I have not seen too many where the end user saw the network but unable to browse....it was your off-handed dismissal of his concern that bothers me....describe one scenario in which the end user cpu saw an active network connection but could not browse?

I cannot make an accurate assessment because his internet is working now.
If i had been talking to him during the time it was out (on the phone or otherwise), then i could give a clearer answer.
If you remember the lights on your modem and what color they were then please speak up.

But we get problems here with people connected and unable to browse constantly. If an ERX goes down then he will still be synced to the network, but unable to pass traffic through the network.

And ERX is a piece of equipment that keeps track of all the PPPoE or DHCP usernames in the network (in the modems pretty much), so if the erx goes down. All of those thousands of usernames currently logged into the network are still synced, but unable to surf.

Usually accompanied by a red internet light on the modem, or a blinking green internet light on the modem. Depends on what make/model of the modem though.

Mistakes happen at the ISP sometimes too, perhaps a mistake happened and the logical path that connects his modem to the rest of the network went missing (it happens here, people just remove them without thinking, or the scripts remove them because of faulty inputed data), then he would still be synced, but unable to browse.

I get calls about that one all the time
"I think the path is missing"
"Your not synced"
"Oh..well its a path issues, can you fix the path please?"
"The path is irrelevant when it comes to if your modem is synced or not, your port is not locked, there is no line issues present, your not synced and the path is fine"

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This whole "internet kill switch" meme is a psyop. TPTB won't shut down the internet, because they make tons of money through it and they have invested a lot creating COINTELPRO fronts such as Facebook and the ultimate hi-tech spy mogul Google.
edit on 12/18/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludshed

You are right. You should have further explained what the "customer" doesn't know, that the whole communications industry works the same way. Doesn't matter if its TW, comcast, att, cox, brighthouse, direct, dish. After 15 years I came to the conclusion greed and quarterly numbers trump logic every time. Not to mention all the equipment we use is made by the cheapest bidder; motorola, scientific atlanta, texas instruments, 2wire, just to name the few majors for the hardware that is in the customers property. Ask the next phone/cable installer you meet how many extra boxes/modems/mtas he carries everyday. If he has to install 12 dvrs in a day he will take 16 with him. Brand new that is the fail rate. And as stated, you can have lock/sync without being able to surf for a large number of reasons. Also as stated, you could call but I wouldn't because you will never get a hold of anybody that knows why it wasn't working. That is the other thing I learned; all communications companies suck at communicating even with each other, let alone the customers.
edit on 18-12-2011 by ludshed because: (no reason given)

AHAHA Your right!
Seimens, 2wire, Actiontech, motorola PVR's and STBS, all garbage equipment that goes down on a regular basis. I was on the phone with one guy for an hour as he changed out his modem 9 times before it worked!
It was terrible, haha.. poopy modems. Its only the customer equipment that is garbage. All the rest of the internal equipment for the internet is usually really expensive and decent. Juniper ERXs and Alcatel/Cisco shelves. etc
edit on 18/12/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
dont want to sound rude to OP, but it can be a dslam problem
if the dslam lost power, everything lok fine, except you cant access internet
so , it happen sometimes , and its nothing really to worry about

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Now we have gotten to responses that the OP actually could use to better his own knowledge of the situation....I re-read the thread to make sure I wasn't doing what I accused others of. The responses before my initial post were mostly off-handed comments that didn't help. The last couple actually explained to the OP some of the sources of his problem.....However, I will say it again, "I have yet to see a scenario in which the computer sees sync but unable to browse.".....Seriously, in all the years of working tech side, if a cpu saw a sync, it was able to browse, minus a firewall or end user issue, but those were generally known issues....Meaning, the end user knew they added it etc. But for a scenario, ie, it was working fine yestarday, today though I see sync but no browse....and I haven't changed anything on my end.....I have never seen one of those.....thanks azuresky for offering clarification, others can take an example from that. That was my point, we post here because we have concerns, and NO ONE wants those concerns just dismissed out of hand....If you have a point to dismissal, great, lets hear it, and you might sway us to your point of view......However, some are not taking the time to sway, just saying, 'your an idiot'...follow?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Now we have gotten to responses that the OP actually could use to better his own knowledge of the situation....I re-read the thread to make sure I wasn't doing what I accused others of. The responses before my initial post were mostly off-handed comments that didn't help. The last couple actually explained to the OP some of the sources of his problem.....However, I will say it again, "I have yet to see a scenario in which the computer sees sync but unable to browse.".....Seriously, in all the years of working tech side, if a cpu saw a sync, it was able to browse, minus a firewall or end user issue, but those were generally known issues....Meaning, the end user knew they added it etc. But for a scenario, ie, it was working fine yestarday, today though I see sync but no browse....and I haven't changed anything on my end.....I have never seen one of those.....thanks azuresky for offering clarification, others can take an example from that. That was my point, we post here because we have concerns, and NO ONE wants those concerns just dismissed out of hand....If you have a point to dismissal, great, lets hear it, and you might sway us to your point of view......However, some are not taking the time to sway, just saying, 'your an idiot'...follow?

Every network is different. My ISPs network is probably much different than yours. So if you have never seen that, they probably have some failsafes in your area to negate some of the problems we have.

Sync but no browse happens quite frequently here. -usually- its just customer equipment, because of the crappy equipment we give out. But yeah. It happens once in awhile.

I'de be hard pressed to go a week without something like that happening,
We just had an ERX go down here a few weeks back and knocked like 5000 customers offline, but they were all still synced. They just couldn't authenticate to the network.

Lol! If we just spent a little extra and got mid-range RTUs and other customer equipment, then we wouldn't have near as many problems methinks.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

I concur. But without hearing any details from op it's pointless. If he'd told us I'm on a cable companies dhcp or I'm on an old pots system we could narrow it down. But there is no point in speculating otherwise.

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle. She doesn't so it's not worth debating over.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
GET FIBRE OP!
Ill be getting it soon, I might even spend my own money and get a good modem for myself to keep instead of the crappy actiontech R1000's.

70mbps down
30mbps up.

Its phasing out dsl here, and the local cable company just can't compete with those speeds and the amount of equipment you can run down that line too.

Fibre rules...
Ill soon be getting Fibre TV, Internet, and Phone :3

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

And I am with you, remember, my initial out of hand dismissal comment was not aimed at you. Understanding tech, there are thousands upon thousands of things that will happen once and only once to an end user that will never happen again....had a client the other day were half the office stood around scratching our heads....it happens, everyone knows it happens...my initial comment was to those prior posts that just one or two lined it summoning it up that it wasn't an issue.....Well, no one wants that, if it isn't an issue, explain your point so that not only do you help the OP understand what is or may be going on....but you explain it for the other readers.

On our end, if the dslam or vho were down, the end cpu would know it, the rg wouldn't be able to sync. A port bounce might work, few others things to attempt a soft repair might work, but the point is that the cpu would not say the internet is accessible. But we can get into that all day long, think you guys have given him enough examples of what can go wrong to alleviate his concerns from the initial conspiracy theory....

Which was my first and only point of contention.....I hate seeing people post a concern and being crapped on for doing so....if anyone posts an issue, they really would like thoughtful input.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludshed
reply to post by pointr97

I concur. But without hearing any details from op it's pointless. If he'd told us I'm on a cable companies dhcp or I'm on an old pots system we could narrow it down. But there is no point in speculating otherwise.

If my aunt had a penis, she'd be my uncle. She doesn't so it's not worth debating over.

YOU GET POINTS FOR GIVING ME A SPIT-TAKE....Seriously, i was reading your post, no sweat, moving on moving on.....penis.....lost it....Good Job

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabhac-rua
reply to post by princeguy

My friend works for a major internet provider in Europe. His job basically is to monitor usage over a large urban area. The provider he works for has some large corporate clients, they pay a lot of money to be guaranteed that their internet access will never drop bellow certain speeds. At certain peak times, when a lot of people are online in the area he monitors, the overall usage draws the speed down toward the lines that the provider has guaranteed to its high paying clients it won't go below. My friends job is to watch when this is going to happen, and when it does he cuts off certain sectors in his area for periods of time, these sectors obviously contain just normal household clients. This ensures that the overall internet speed never reaches critical levels. He cuts off internet access to areas for periods ranging from 30 mins to 3hrs or more.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the Info.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

nice way of responding, but if the DSLAM went down, they wouldn't have had connectivity, the RG would have been unable to sync. You trivialized it that it is a common issue....You know though, I have never had connectivity on my system and not been able to browse. Meaning, I have never looked at my system, seen green but not able to pull a single webpage....If the gateway was receiving signal, and my systems are registering that signal, then I was able to browse...

He is saying, that he saw that signal, it was registered by his computer, but nothing was there.......and yet no one actually asked any probing questions.....sad.....fine conspiracy theorist you all are......what, if it isn't your theory it isn't worth it....

The issue descibed is actually of some concern to me, and would have liked to know more during the issue......He had sync down the line, but there was no content......doesn't scream out to anyone else?
edit on 18-12-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

Thank you for the logical way of looking at the OP. That defines my concern perfectly.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
We are on a cable setup thru a company called "Optimum"

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It doesn't scream out to me because i see it all the time.
Perhaps its different where you live,
But i see synced modems not browse constantly.

A modem can be synced, but not be connected to the internet. Most of the time its caused by authentication issues. If your modem cannot authenticate, then it wont get internet. It will be synced. But no web.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Sometimes the internet goes out. This can happen for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes modems need to be reset. Sometimes your ISP is doing work and it has to mess with the connection for a few.... and on and on...

No conspiracy about it.

My internet was fine and I think you will find that most everyone elses was as well.

With all due respect, not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes things really are as they seem. Sometimes your internet just decides to go out.

That is my opinion, anyway.

I have DSL and I have had the internet stop working. The problem was that I had to just move the ethernet cable to a differernt port. Weird things like that happen... All the time.

Side note, your title is some what misleading. It makes it sound like you are saying everyone's internet went down...And it didn't. But I think you know that.
edit on 18-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeguy

Originally posted by unworldly
You feel this is a conspiracy... why, exactly?

No one's internet connection has 100% uptime. Momentary hiccups in connectivity are normal--regardless of your connection type or particular ISP.

Dont be *icks! I am a smart guy, I know that people have internet problems from time to time.

Let me repeat. My internet connections was just fine!

The internet was not available.

I have Never experienced this.

I am just looking to see if it was a widespread thing or something local.

You claim to be a "smart guy" yet you are unaware that internet access can be flaky from time to time?

Just because you have "never experienced" it before, doesnt make it a grand conspiracy.

Pssst, by the way "We" are watching you.
"We" are wearing our 'Black suits' and are playing with your internet connection at this very moment. We have selected you as the next Neo for Our Matrix.

edit on 18-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Dear Member-

Ours was shut off for a while last nite also. A few days ago, our DSL went even tho everything was still "hooked up". I wound up turning off the router and then turning it back on... But last nite... We have McAfee for protection and a Windows 7 antispyware thing came up. It disabled our firewall thru McAfee, no matter what we did we were unable to restart the McAfee...we wound up having to purchase the Windows 7. It felt wrong. Still does.
Anyhow, access to the internet was denied because it (according to Windows) posed a threat.

Peace- Alphabet soup

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Several times I lose internet access but my internet light is still on on my modem. My browser usually connects again within a few minutes or few hours. I always thought I had a lousy internet service provider and I still do.

Then many times around 1:30 or 2 AM, I'll lose my radio signal and hear the emergency alert broadcast system if I happen to be listening to the radio at that time. I guess I'm technically still getting a signal if I'm hearing the alert. Just being sarcastic.

Even more frightening is sometimes I am just surfing the internet and an internet chat window pops up and a girl or someone is talking to me. Sometimes they get upset if I don't respond. I have talked to someone via a chat window and I was just surfing the internet. I don't know what's going on where someone can open up a chat window just because you surfed onto their web site. Even worse they want to hook up but they think I'm in a different state. Probably because my isp lists my location over 200 miles away from where I live.

I can take comfort that the computer from 2001 called Hal has not contacted me, as far as I know. I have had a chat with some AI on a few occasions. One time I even had a dream that an advanced AI contacted me and then I searched the internet based on some things I dreamed. One item showed up on google. At the bottom of the document I read in blue letters, for government use only not to be used by any other department, or something like that. It listed top secret equipment at several military bases. The next thing I know my internet service is locked. I deleted my cache and all recent files. Then I had to reboot my computer to get internet acess again. Then my access seemed a bit slower than normal and I had a feeling like I was being watched.

I take comfort that if there is an advanced AI running things in the future, it seems to be connected to me so much that it opens up a time distortion to communicate with me in the past while I'm trying to sleep. Makes me wonder if an AI is messing with an old pc game on my computer because I didn't think some old game was supposed to learn from me but it has in the last few years, didn't used to several years ago. Back then, same game was stupid as always, now the same game learns from me.

On my old pc I once had a computer problem, the problem fixed itself after being online for 30 to 60 minutes.

I do think something strange is going on.
edit on 18/12/11 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join