It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet was Shut Off last night.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by princeguy

And more to the point, the internet was working fine last night in CFalls, Whitefish and Evergreen. To answer your initial question,

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors

Originally posted by princeguy

Originally posted by unworldly
You feel this is a conspiracy... why, exactly?

No one's internet connection has 100% uptime. Momentary hiccups in connectivity are normal--regardless of your connection type or particular ISP.

Dont be *icks! I am a smart guy, I know that people have internet problems from time to time.

Let me repeat. My internet connections was just fine!

The internet was not available.

I have Never experienced this.

I am just looking to see if it was a widespread thing or something local.

You claim to be a "smart guy" yet you are unaware that internet access can be flaky from time to time?

Just because you have "never experienced" it before, doesnt make it a grand conspiracy.

Pssst, by the way "We" are watching you.
"We" are wearing our 'Black suits' and are playing with your internet connection at this very moment. We have selected you as the next Neo for Our Matrix.

edit on 18-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

See, and I was just about to comment on how the conversation took a positive turn to the constructive....then I read this....~sigh~....exactly how did this help, how was this constructive? What did this provide to the conversation except to make you feel better about yourself at the expense of the people around you. So all 'smart' people know everything about everything, and you consider yourself a smart person so you know how many stages of water treatment are mandated? Grow up, as I said before, people come here for answers, not to be insulted, go to class tomorrow and insult the bully you are trying to compensate for. I had a conversation two days ago with a high level software tech at AT&T ISPDSL/Uverse who gives tech solutions all day and had zero idea how a NID actually works or looks like....He understood the fundamentals but knew nothing more and he was a smart guy IN the industry....yet you expect more from the average individual.....WOW....are you sure to be disappointed in life.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana

And more to the point, the internet was working fine last night in CFalls, Whitefish and Evergreen. To answer your initial question,

Hey hey!

A local! Nice to find a local on ATS! Cheers!

And thank you for the update.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It happened to me too. It happened about the same time that I heard unmarked helicopters flying above my house

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I am really surprised that nobody has commented correctly to this post. After working in the catv industry since 1977, and working in the cable modem department since 1995, I think I know a thing or 2 when it comes to either.
Your computer was connected to your router in your house, and since your computer connects to your router, your computer said all is well. If you are on a cable modem, your modem may have been down for one reason or another. Such as:

1. Ingress. Cable modems transmit their data from your house back to the cmts (Cable Modem Termination System) anywhere from about 5 mhz (megahertz) up to 40 mhz (in the USA, anyway, Euro-docsis is different).
For example, if your modem is transmitting at 27mhz, and there is a loose connection somewhere between your modem and the fiber node, and someone on a cb radio transmits in the general area, there is a GOOD chance that your modem could drop. Most cable companies ignore those frequencies though. but there are other problems. Anything in the range from 5-40 mhz is in the short wave band, and an open in the cable plant (no shielding) can mean that your modem could drop offline, even though your computer will tell you that you are still connected. There is A LOT more, but I don't want to get too technical (unless you want me to.)

2 DHCP servers
In most cases, your dhcp lease lasts for AT LEAST 24 hours. That means that your lease will last for 24 hours, and at half the time of your lease, you will ask to renew it. That means that you will ask for your ip address 12 hours after you received your last ip address. The server will have to be down for at least a day for you to notice that.
If you suspect your dhcp server is down, I suggest trying to ping a known ip address, or try this: open a web browser and type this in:
This should take you to google.com
If it does, then your internet is up and your dhcp server is down. Usually very unlikely
Look at the lights on your modem. On our modems (we issue Motorola Surfboards), there are usually 4 lights lit:
downstream lock - if this is blinking, your cable is probably out
upstream lock - could be an ingress problem
online - could be dhcp OR tftp server problems (provisioning)
ethernet connection - no light means no link to your router, bad ethernet cable or something

some modems may have a blue light, and that is ok, that means wideband, which is a good thing!

When it comes to dsl (DinoSaur Link), I don't know much about it, but I could find out if anyone wants to know.

Anyway, there is generally NOT a major outage with the internet, only a localized outage, and as far as my company is concerned, these are priority calls and get taken care of first.

snrRog

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: self edit, this thread didnt need more angst

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
We had an interruption in my area for a few hours.. as indicated, the link was good but just no traffic.. Nothing that alarmed me though since I'm an IT guy who used to work for a large internet provider.. outages happen!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Something was probably wrong with the network connection, I live in the Caribbean and this has happened to me a couple of times! So do not sweat it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I'm not far from the Flathead, I'm more south of you. Won't give my location of course. But they have been routinely shutting off the internet for the past two years here. For the longest time I thought it was just a crappy connection. Not so.

One time it was shut off for THREE days. When I called to inquire about it each day, I was simply told, "I'm sorry, nothing I can do about this. It will be back in within 3 days, it's out of our hands."

It's out of their hands. They are just following orders.

So, do what I have done...

Get a home base CB set up, and learn to communicate with others alternatively...

The internet will be the first thing shut down when SHTF. They have learned how support spreads rapidly via internet and it will be cut off first thing.

Also, get a lot of back up batteries.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The internet would never be shut down
and people go without internet for days anyways,
Outages happen. Its the nature of the phyisicality of how the internet works. Just like how your car breaks. Internet breaks.

Your car could be in the shop for days with a broken transmission
So could your internet.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join