It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA SP-368 : The Search for Magic Mountain

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

I design cover graphics also.

That girl student is obviously NOT on board the ISS. Conclusion, I'm a liar.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

NASA's SP-368 contains 592 pages of tables and summaries. SP-368 really was NOT INTENDED for the consumer market. I believe that the intended market for SP-368 were public libraries and academic institutions.
I don't know why you say consumer market when consumer market means Time Magazine, Life Magazine, Reader's Digest, Popular Mechanics and things like that...

Besides, SP-250 (This Island Earth) and SP-423 (The Atlas of Mercury) both have embossed covers. How does the consumer markets theory apply to embossed covers?

"This Island Earth" is a coffee table book; a collection of photographs taken from space. It is very much intended for the consumer market... I got a copy as a kid! It's a gift book, so naturally it was done up to look nice. NASA's in house publications are very boring, they have a cardboard cover with whatever NASA logo they're using at the time, a title in block letters and an inscrutable catalog number. I know you might find this hard to believe, but there are people who do not work for NASA who like to read these publications. Some people like to read about sports, some like to read about cars, some like to read about space science. The people who like to read about sports are not necessarily professional athletes, the people who like to read about cars are not necessarily trained mechanics, and the people who like to read about space exploration do not necessarily work for NASA. This is what is meant by the "consumer market." The fact that I have to explain something this simple shows how desperate this thread is.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

If it can be bought, it is for consumers.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
This is a famous Time Life image.

This is also Time Life images.

Conclusion–Time Life lies.

That's deranged... at so many levels!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Does your argument mean that NASA added Magic Mountain to the cover of SP-368 to sell more copies?

NASA has literally thousands of lunar photos to choose from in 1975 but they chose AS15-86-11603 and added a fake mountain just for fun?

Get real.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Does your argument mean that NASA added Magic Mountain to the cover of SP-368 to sell more copies?

NASA has literally thousands of lunar photos to choose from in 1975 but they chose AS15-86-11603 and added a fake mountain just for fun?

What's wrong with your reading comprehension? NASA didn't have anything to do with it! It was the GPO!!!
edit on 18-12-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I get it now. You want me to believe that the GPO created Magic Mountain. According to you the US Government Printing Office doctored a NASA Apollo photo to include an extra mountain, a MAGIC MOUNTAIN, a mountain that doesn't exist in any original NASA photograph.

Why didn't GPO go with the embossed covers which was probably the cheapest option? Why would they go through the extra effort to adding Magic Mountain..?? like I said they had thousands of photos to choose from but they chose AS15-86-11603 and somebody had to say "Mount Hadley is just not good enough, we need an extra mountain."

Well your theory is as good as my theory: Magic Mountain could be the work of a whistleblower.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Why didn't GPO go with the embossed covers which was probably the cheapest option?

An embossed leatherette cover is the most expensive option short of actual leather. You really need to actually look at a book some time.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Gold foil emboss that to jack the price up even further.

Caution: If you receive a gift coffee mug with a gold foil silkscreen image on it do not microwave that mug to reheat your beverage, it will turn the foil black.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I get it now. You want me to believe that the GPO created Magic Mountain. According to you the US Government Printing Office doctored a NASA Apollo photo to include an extra mountain, a MAGIC MOUNTAIN, a mountain that doesn't exist in any original NASA photograph.

They had no choice. Look what I found:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

there is lots of great information at this site thanks...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by patmac573

there is lots of great information at this site thanks...

There's even better information here:

www.badastronomy.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I love Phil Plait. In fact Amazon.com as far as I know never charged me for one of his book purchases. He can put things into layman terms, I'm not impressed, however, with his new TV show, the media demands too much flash and blast for a new program and I'm sure Phil himself is disappointed in the direction his new show is heading. He's better than splash and blast.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I design cover graphics also.

That girl student is obviously NOT on board the ISS. Conclusion, I'm a liar.

It's worse than that; ISS does not have blue solar panels (or radiators, and the lighting angle is impossible given the glare from the sun at the top left corner). ISS must be a hoax!
edit on 18-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Your parody letter from Richard Nixon may be closer to the truth than you ever expected DJW...

Frank Gannon, the former Nixon aide who assisted the president on his memoirs (and thus probably knew Nixon better than almost any still living person) reviews Conrad Black's Nixon in Friday's Opinion Journal:

On Aug. 8, 1974, the night Richard Nixon resigned the presidency, Henry Kissinger assured him that history would judge him to be one of America's great presidents. "That depends, Henry," Nixon replied, "on who writes the history." ... Source frum.nationalreview.com...

edit on 12/18/2011 by SayonaraJupiter because: tags

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

reply to post by DJW001

I love Phil Plait. In fact Amazon.com as far as I know never charged me for one of his book purchases. He can put things into layman terms, I'm not impressed, however, with his new TV show, the media demands too much flash and blast for a new program and I'm sure Phil himself is disappointed in the direction his new show is heading. He's better than splash and blast.

Why?
You seem so proud to have never paid for Phil Plait's book from Amazon! So you love the guy who sold out his scientific integrity to the Discovery Channel. Maybe you should ask the infallible TV cult hero/scientist how the sky became blue on the cover of SP-368? While you are at it you can ask him about Magic Mountain, too.

Here is Phil explaining his own brand of circular anti-logic, complete rubbish.

Phil Plait, the Bad Astronomer: "I guess the most ironic thing of all is that people who say I should be more open-minded are too open-minded, and have closed their mind to the one true thing: reality itself."
Source blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i never believed for a second we put man on the moon. in orbit, sure.

everything from photos to the timeline of photos per minute dont add up, the spec sheet for the lunar lander mysteriously vanashing to the spacesuits to the lighting mistakes. all one big lie

www.aulis.com
edit on 18-12-2011 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

Indeed, Aulis website offers a view of history that is not chained to NASA's infallible dogma.

AULIS on Apollo
The prime reason for the Aulis investigation into Apollo is to question the official record of the exploration of the Moon in the late 1960s and early '70s – especially the Apollo lunar landings themselves.
Unlike many other Apollo skeptics, the Aulis authors are NOT claiming that astronauts from Earth have never walked on the Moon.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
Well your theory is as good as my theory: Magic Mountain could be the work of a whistleblower.

Well if we're just going to make up crap and there's no burden of proof, then my theory is that the 2nd hill is in fact an alien moonbase, and they removed it from one of the photos because it's obvious proof of alien life. There ya go, my theory is equal to yours even though I readily admit I pulled it out of my butt, which is exactly what you did with yours as well. ATS doesn't deserve threads like this.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It seems pretty obvious that they DID NOT add a mountain to the picture. Whoever designed the cover actually deleted most of the black sky, leaving a bit on the left side that was vaguely shaped like a mountain. But, it's still just black sky. They didn't add any terrain detail.

Maybe they just wanted to be able to print the title in black against a white background. Personally, I think it looks crappy that way. They should have left it alone and printed the title in white. If nothing else, it would have prevented this silly discussion thread from ever starting.

If most people had any real idea how these NASA publications get put together, they would realize that there is no hidden agenda. No secret symbolism. It's a haphazard system that involves numerous contractors, lowest bidders, and ever-shifting process standards.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
It seems pretty obvious that they DID NOT add a mountain to the picture. Whoever designed the cover actually deleted most of the black sky, leaving a bit on the left side that was vaguely shaped like a mountain. But, it's still just black sky. They didn't add any terrain detail.

Maybe they just wanted to be able to print the title in black against a white background. Personally, I think it looks crappy that way. They should have left it alone and printed the title in white. If nothing else, it would have prevented this silly discussion thread from ever starting.

I do agree with what you are saying "Whoever designed the cover actually deleted most of the black sky, leaving a bit on the left side that was vaguely shaped like a mountain. But, it's still just black sky."

What you are describing is the perfect example of an optical illusion.

An optical illusion (also called a visual illusion) is characterized by visually perceived images that differ from objective reality.

It must be particularly embarrassing for NASA (and/or GPO) to have this cheap optical illusion on the cover of a prestigious NASA publication like SP-368. www.hq.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join