It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia - can they strike terrorist bases worldwide?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
What kind of military infrastructure do russia have?

Is it capable of striking terrorists worldwide?

Would it be capable of sustained involvment?

Or is it just rhetoric as usuall?

Maybe this is the beginning of joint US/Russian military involvment against terrorists. It may even stop russian selling arms to well you know who.....

Whats your view?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
They can and this will probably result in a major war.
Lets hope the US and Russia do not get in eachothers way

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
We'll should they join forces as it seems with nato/russia talking just now?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Am I missing something? Have the Russians said that they were going on a global terrorist campaign? I tried doing a search on this and all I could come up with was Putin basically saying that he would fight terrorism head on in his country.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Am I missing something? Have the Russians said that they were going on a global terrorist campaign? I tried doing a search on this and all I could come up with was Putin basically saying that he would fight terrorism head on in his country.

Check out ATSNN.
There is a news and huge discussion going on it aswell

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
They are saying now that Putin is just repeating previous posture. So may
be its just rhetoric. Although joint action on terror would be welcome by many.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
the u.s. set the precident for premtive strikes so why wouldn't any other country capable do the same? will the u.s. and russia work together?? i don't think so..there is too much 'history' between them and besides...the u.s. wants russia to be preoccupied with its own internal struggles so they, once again, wont be a 'world power.' AMERICA thinks it owns the world and it is not ready to give it up..

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here's my $2 to add to this discussion:

a) People, read between the lines... GEORGIA... Right. Maybe some of you didn't know, but a large number of Chechens, both civilians and militants, have been holed up in the Pankissi gorge for years... Of course the Georgian leadership wouldn't do anything because (1) they couldn't fight them outright (2) it was a great bargaining chip with Russia. In fact, Russia has conducted airstrikes over Georgian territory (denied by Moscow). So it has been done already, I don't see why they can't send a couple of cruise missiles the militants way... Georgia indeed has been an important base for the rebels. Right now would be a good time because the international opinion would allow it.

b) There is a 50/50 chance that Russia may strike elsewhere. They can try and cancel Zakaev in London. They did bomb the other Chechen in Qatar, didn't they?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
On the morning news it was stated that the Russians will conduct preemptive strikes on terrorist organizations worlwide. This is a definite indicator that the Russians and Americans have the same ideals.
The only world power missing is China to enter the arena. Presently China is a major importer of Middle East oil and it is emparative that this supply continues to flow for its industrial machine. Once China enters the arena the Muslim extremeists will be put on the run.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
Once China enters the arena the Muslim extremeists will be put on the run.

That's an interesting observation. So far there has been no major terrorist acts against China (except the unintended demolition of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade by a cruise missile), so I think they'll tend to wait it out.

But the idea of Chinese, Russian and American LGBs raining on terrorist camps worldwide 24/7 is appealing.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I wonder if this could end up being something like US and Russia agianst the middle east and China? This could be bad in a big way.
China is so dependant on Middle East oil that it would be hard for them to side with anyone else but thier suppliers.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Aelta,

China is already involved in there own internal and external war on terrorisim. Please read this article posted on a UK Muslim website. This will open your eyes to why I think the Chineese will eventually become envolved on a global level.

www.muslimnews.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod

Right, so this thread assumes Russia will bomb whoever is a terrorist according to their point of view, and not Al Qaeda'a.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Thats a very good point

China is already involved in there own internal and external war on terrorisim

I didnt know that, you learn something new everyday
thank you for that

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Russia must look to the US and try not to follow their own agenda. A united front must be shown world opinion must be sought. Thats where the US went wrong. Or it will be a case of bully tactics.

Their are other ways to win a war on terror than just blasting the sh*t out of a group of terrorists or friends of terrorists. If you murder a father in the eyes of a son, the son will seek revenge for the father. Its a self sustaining problem.

Look at israel / palestine, they will never get peace with tit for tat attacks.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
That's an interesting observation. So far there has been no major terrorist acts against China (except the unintended demolition of the Chinese embassy in Belgrade by a cruise missile), so I think they'll tend to wait it out.

unintended demolition of the chinese embassy....thats a joke right ?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Russia must look to the US and try not to follow their own agenda. A united front must be shown world opinion must be sought. Thats where the US went wrong. Or it will be a case of bully tactics.

Their are other ways to win a war on terror than just blasting the sh*t out of a group of terrorists or friends of terrorists. If you murder a father in the eyes of a son, the son will seek revenge for the father. Its a self sustaining problem.

Look at israel / palestine, they will never get peace with tit for tat attacks.

The US and Russia have different agendas. The US wants Russia to be weak, so resolving the Chechen problem is not in the US interest.

Second, I agree that a political solution needs to be found, however, a large fraction of the Chechen rebels want to have the Calipha based on Wahhabi teachings and they are not going to neogotiate anything else. By the way ordinary Chechens wouldn't give a flying toss about the Calipha.

What I'm saying is if XYZ is masterminding terrorist attacks like the one in Beslan, it is entirely in everybody's interest to blow the bastard to bits.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Russia does not have to hit everything "worldwide".....
Fortunately for them, all they have to do is drive their trucks and tanks south and south-west and I do believe that they have the gas to do such.

Besides, I really don't think that Putin is aiming to hit terrorism "worldwide". Just as Putin/Russia gave us the 'green light' on Iraq, Bush/US has most definately given Putin/Russia the go-ahead 'green light'. No formal or international treaties necessary either. Radical Islam and those international and regional groups that practice terrorism had better rethink their "global strategies"....seriously! They keep making the miscalculations that they continue to do, and sooner or later they will eventually have most of the world striking terrorism and thier bases of operations...."worldwide".

seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The former Soveit Union, if you'll remember, was a world superpower at one time. They very well had the resources to launch a campaign against terrorism.

Effectively? Well, lets look at this. In Afghanistan during the 80's, the Soviets were having a diffficult time with the Afghans. Why? Because they didn't have the backing or the support of the rest of the world. We, the United States, backed Afghanistan, because the Soviet Union was a communist nation and it was our duty to prevent the spread of communism.
But looking back, (I hate hindsight), maybe we should have backed the former Soviet Union. Who knows, that bastard, Osama, might very well have been killed during that conflict and maybe, just maybe the WTC towers would still be standing today (along with several thousand American lives killed by this fanatic since the 80's).

Now? The Russians will have the support of the civilized world and the United States should welcome welcome their efforts in this war on terrorism if this thing is to stamped out in the near future.

I say lets combine forces and go get every last one of these towel-headed,camel-jockey bastards and dare anyone to say something.

You hear this France?

[edit on 8/9/04 by Intelearthling]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join