It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders Scream??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:
LL1

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
You are right on the design factor, like none other, they are about the only insect that really gives me the creeps (others stay on the ground)....
It's the fact the they can junp down from anywhere, and to go through a web by accident, like if I'm walking my dog... UGH!
Takes forever to remove if you are outdoors and away from water.
And please don't tell me that when I return from walking my dog and wash that the web is not removed.
I could not bare to hear that!

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I have a black widow nest in my back yard. Been meaning to get rid of them. There was about 3 or so. I used my can of axe body spray and a lighter....They just curled up and died...no screaming for me =\ Gets rid of their webs really well though

posted on Sep, 19 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by s13guy
Ok this is gonna sound crazy but here goes:

One time when my bro and I shared a room there was this tiny itty bitty spider on the wall. you know those small harmless ones. so i preceded to get a shoe and held it over the spider for some time. then my bro said "smash it already!" and so i preceded to do that. But as the sole of the shoe was heading towards the spider, i heard a small "eek!", by then it was too late to pull back and smoosh. My bro and I looked at each other for confirmation of the strange noise it made. we were like "wtf?!"

so tell me, can spiders scream or are we both crazy and hearing thigs?! lol

btw, the windows were closed so no outside noises wouldve interfered

[edit on 9/8/2004 by s13guy]

Now I own Tarantulas, which are much, much larger spiders than your common garden variety, and they do not "scream" per se. You see, arachnids do not have vocal chords. They instead have little hairs in their mandibles with which they exhale air into to make a hissing sound called stridulation. Ut's more of a hissing whistle-like sound than a screaming sound. Trust me, I know this because I had a Tarantula hiss at me angrily once. I highly doubt what you heard was a "scream" coming from a spider since they biologically cannot make such vocal utterances because they are devoid of vocal chords.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
here is another twist on the topic(it cant be true IMO)but its funny

members.ozemail.com.au...

[edit on 20-9-2004 by Heratix]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
All this talk about spiders has reminded me of the old joke about the experiment to see if spiders really hear things by picking up vibrations in their legs.......If you take a spider and make a loud BANG near it, it will hear you and run off, however if you pull all it's legs off..............

I don't need to finish that do i????

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think if you were about to get squashed to death by a giant shoe you emit some noise from somewhere?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
All this talk about spiders has reminded me of the old joke about the experiment to see if spiders really hear things by picking up vibrations in their legs.......If you take a spider and make a loud BANG near it, it will hear you and run off, however if you pull all it's legs off..............

I don't need to finish that do i????

yes m8..it will still hear you but it wont run off

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
What about the dreaded Lithuanian Yodeling Spider?

Granted, yodeling is not screaming. But, are you sure that spider wasn't yodeling when you smashed it?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
OMG, im dying here!!!!
BRAVO!
She looks so happy
( sighs)

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
[edit on 20-10-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
There are huge spiders in Iraq:

websearch.about.com...

ya i heard about those.. a few ppl said they had seen a picture of an iraqi soilder holding on by its leg... i was wondering.. if anyone knew if they were real or not

LL1

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
they are real!!!
The Clerics in Iraq were stating Allah had sent the spiders to fight the soliders.
I'm not stating this to be funny, as this is their belief.
There is a pic in this thread.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Ok so normally I dont kill anything but.....
My 16 year old daughter and I got a job managing a campground that had been abandoned for like 20 years. We lived up there with my baby. It was all overgrown and the bathrooms were full of critters large and small. It was our job to get the place cleaned up so it could be reopened. We were almost done cleaning one of the stalls when we discovered an egg sack inside the toilet paper holder. Then Mama came out. Holy crap she was huge. Well I assume it was female, but I really know nothing of spiders. I grabbed something to kill it just because she was so big and I was worried for my daughters. As I moved to squish it, it screamed. I swear! Scared the tar out of me and my daughter both. We dropped everything and ran. Never seen anything like it. Hope I never do again. Job didnt last long after that.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarmoniusOne
Ok so normally I dont kill anything but.....
My 16 year old daughter and I got a job managing a campground that had been abandoned for like 20 years. We lived up there with my baby. It was all overgrown and the bathrooms were full of critters large and small. It was our job to get the place cleaned up so it could be reopened. We were almost done cleaning one of the stalls when we discovered an egg sack inside the toilet paper holder. Then Mama came out. Holy crap she was huge. Well I assume it was female, but I really know nothing of spiders. I grabbed something to kill it just because she was so big and I was worried for my daughters. As I moved to squish it, it screamed. I swear! Scared the tar out of me and my daughter both. We dropped everything and ran. Never seen anything like it. Hope I never do again. Job didnt last long after that.

Erm theres just been a bunch of pages explaining exactly why spiders "don't" and "can't" scream, so sorry but she didn't. Hissed maybe but screamed nope.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This is one of the best threads I have ever read
But I still hate spiders...even more then I did before

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
i have never herd of a spider scream

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

I've never seen/heard it myself, and I'm not about to go just randomly set flames to spiders that aren't bothering me. Unless they are Brown Recluses which have to die at work. I'm sorry but I don't think it's kill to be working on a piece of Machinery on the floor and you see BR's walking all over the damned place. Creepy to be changing out some Equipment laying on your back and you see one running at you.

I doubt the spiders you are talking about in this instance are Brown Recluses.....most of the other things in this string about them are true, but they aren't genarally aggressive enough to "run after you". They are tiny, and they live in dark solitary places. The most likely place to find one is in a closet, living in a shirt or a box....or anything that hasn't been disturbed in a long time.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Can anybody tell me anything, or give me a webpage about the Vietnamese Screaming Yellow Banana Spider?

Supposedly responsible for over 500 deaths of soldiers in Vietnam, also rumored to make a screaming noise as it descends on its victims from the trees, and im sure this is just more paranoid BS, but the government supposedly injected these spiders with '___' and put them in places along the Ho Chi Mihn Trail.

Any info you can sent it to my E-Mail address [email protected]

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   
spiders are absolute evil, and must be dealt with as such. no spider must be allowed to live. anyone who says otherwise is a poor excuse for a hippy, because those damnable creatures from the lower depths of hell are far more evil than any illuminati consipracy you can dream up.

god damn i hate spiders.

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
When i was little i poured hot water onto one of those big ants that are like flying ants but without wings :s anyway.. That eeked a few times before it died.I didnt know ants made noises.

Looking back i feel bad

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join