It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders Scream??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Ok this is gonna sound crazy but here goes:

One time when my bro and I shared a room there was this tiny itty bitty spider on the wall. you know those small harmless ones. so i preceded to get a shoe and held it over the spider for some time. then my bro said "smash it already!" and so i preceded to do that. But as the sole of the shoe was heading towards the spider, i heard a small "eek!", by then it was too late to pull back and smoosh. My bro and I looked at each other for confirmation of the strange noise it made. we were like "wtf?!"

so tell me, can spiders scream or are we both crazy and hearing thigs?! lol

btw, the windows were closed so no outside noises wouldve interfered

[edit on 9/8/2004 by s13guy]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Once I heard a wood louse scream so I don't find this hard to belivieve.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't know why people have to kill things because they scared of them..
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I have pet tarantulas, I have never heard them scream, but it doesn't mean some types don't....if it was harmless why did you guys kill it?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, I have pet tarantulas, I have never heard them scream, but it doesn't mean some types don't....if it was harmless why did you guys kill it?

Apparently you are supposed to smash it with a shoe for it to scream....go ahead we will wait for you...............
I do not need to keep tarantulas for pets because they are everywhere.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

i was 15. i liked to smash things =P

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
We get tons of spiders where I live and I have killed quite a few with shoes, never heard one scream though. Do they even have the capacity to do so?

I'm going to do some research and get back to this thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
My fiance used to live on a farm, rather big farm, and her dad used to burn these big nest of spiders. They will scream when they burn apperntly because she's heard it, and I've heard other people that have burned big nest of spiders say that will scream when they are burning.

I've never seen/heard it myself, and I'm not about to go just randomly set flames to spiders that aren't bothering me. Unless they are Brown Recluses which have to die at work. I'm sorry but I don't think it's kill to be working on a piece of Machinery on the floor and you see BR's walking all over the damned place. Creepy to be changing out some Equipment laying on your back and you see one running at you.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I heard the same thing about Lobsters I have cooked many a lobster and have never heard a scream.

I put them in the fridge first and then always put them in head first. May be they do scream if you put them in tail first and dont dull them down by cooling them off.

Never heard a spider scream though

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I've never heard them scream in a fire, but I do know that when ants are being burned they scream and sometimes even pop. It's a very similar thing to making popcorn. When heated the water inside boils and eventually the pressure becomes great enough for whatever it is, be it a corn kernal or ant, to burst. As for it being squished and screaming, I really have no idea.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
you guys are sick!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
I've never heard them scream in a fire, but I do know that when ants are being burned they scream and sometimes even pop. It's a very similar thing to making popcorn. When heated the water inside boils and eventually the pressure becomes great enough for whatever it is, be it a corn kernal or ant, to burst. As for it being squished and screaming, I really have no idea.

That's the most logical explanation I've read so far.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
nice to know im a step closer to knowing if what i heard was/was not a figment of my imagination

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Perhaps it wasn't a "scream" you heard. As far as I know, screaming requires a larynx of some sort. Entemologists haven't yet proven that spiders or insects have any sort of vocal cords.

The screaming you hear when you burn an ant or a spider could be their bodily fluids heating up and the hot air exiting through their joints. That's the only theory I can think of.

Hrothgar

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have heard the same, that spiders scream.. Didn't believe it at first until i read about it and saw this picture of a Bannana Spider

It is found only in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia and eastern Thiland.
If u think this is wierd " screaming spiders" u need to listen to the screams, that is some scary stuff..
OMG listen.
Actual recording of the spider single spider
spiders hunting in groups
They hunt in groups also... This is an extremely dangerous arachnid also. Has killed many from a bite, or bites

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
AgentGirl Do they really make sounds like that?
If I was alone in the woods and heard that type of noise
Thats just insane I cant imagine any spider making such a sound.

LL1

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
There are huge spiders in Iraq:

websearch.about.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentGirl
I have heard the same, that spiders scream.. Didn't believe it at first until i read about it and saw this picture of a Bannana Spider

It is found only in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia and eastern Thiland.
If u think this is wierd " screaming spiders" u need to listen to the screams, that is some scary stuff..
OMG listen.
Actual recording of the spider single spider
spiders hunting in groups
They hunt in groups also... This is an extremely dangerous arachnid also. Has killed many from a bite, or bites

Ok I have done some more reading, and i do not think this is the actual screams.
But why did he put these files here?

www.hawksinger.net...
OK this is embarrising now, sorry guys that is NOT A SPIDER SCREAM...
. but they do actually scream

[edit on 9-11-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
There are huge spiders in Iraq:

They actually debunk that myth farther down in your link. They get somewhat big, up to a 5" leg span, but nothing like the legend or recent e-mail "hoax".

About.com

A few of the claims that are floating around about camel spiders:

Camel spiders can leap several feet in the air.

Camel spiders can grow to be the size of dinner plates.

Camel spiders make a noise that sounds like a scream while traveling up to 25 mph.

Camel spiders are feature an anesthetic venom that immobilizes their victim while the camel spider feeds.

In reality, camel spiders grow to have about a 5" leg span, make no noise and are non-venomous. Camel spiders are so named because they live in the desert, you know, with camels? Oh, and they have also been found in the United States. Aren't you glad all those "facts" from the email aren't true?

From LL1's link.

I've never heard or heard of a spider screaming before, but it's possible that certain spiders make noises that could be mistaken as a "scream". I've heard a few horror stories recently about the recluse spider, supposedly delivers quite a bite.

LL1

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Looks real to me:

www.snopes.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
I've heard a few horror stories recently about the recluse spider, supposedly delivers quite a bite.

They do indeed have a nasty bite that is true.

Its easy to tell one when you see the dark brown violin shape mark on body

The venom kills the tissues (necrosis) at the site of the bite. The bite of the brown recluse spider can result in a painful, deep wound that takes a long time to heal. Fatalities are extremely rare, but bites are most dangerous to young children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition.

I have a girl I work with that was bitten on the head(just about the worst spot to take a bite) by a brown recluse while in the shower. She said it felt like electricty coursing from the bite. She even many years later has pain from this wound and claims she has never been the same since this has happened.

ohioline.osu.edu...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join