It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders Scream??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Got it working, very funny stuff. You do realise however that is in his "spoof pages" section.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I don't know about spiders, but there is a certain type of caterpillar that has a special kind of relationship with a certain type of ant, and they both make noises thought to be related to communication. I heard a recording once of this catepillar and it sounded eerily like it was talking (mumbling). Here's a link that you might find interesting - The article's called "When Ants Squeak":

www.sciencenews.org...

Here's another link about the sounds made by Black Fire ants - It's called "Stridulation Sounds of Black Fire Ants (Solenopsis richteri) in Different Situations":

home.olemiss.edu...

So, who knows? Maybe that poor, peaceful little spider did let out one last terrified scream as death's dark shadow descended upon it. But then, we'll never know that ...

[edit on 9/14/2004 by netbound]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentGirl
Do u believe this website?
I read it and, I just don't know

nope no way...thats a spoof...that warning snarl was the 1 that convinced me...roflmao

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Netbound nice stuff, although they dont make sound with vocal cords. It's all made by rubbing body parts (says somewhere in that article) Many insects use vibrations (sound) to communicate.
Although this doesn't mean they talk and such, they don't have vocal cords. Most instect type creatures use pheremones as a primary source of communication. Incuding catapillars to ants, they use a false scent to fool the ants into not killing them and even guarding them so they can feed in peace. Not sure of the name off the top of my head, but they have a small gland at their base that produces a nectare like substance which the ants farm.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by feygan]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Oh yeah, something I forgot.

Just because whatever it is doesn't have vocal cords doesn't mean it can't "talk". The question is, can whatever it is communicate in any sense by making sounds? We use our vocal chords. Other things might make sounds in a different way. The operative word here is "sounds".

And just because whatever it is doesn't have ear drums doesn't mean it can't "hear". We "hear" because we sense our ear drums vibrating. Certain ants can also "hear" by detecting their "knees" vibrating. Weird, but true.

So, that poor little spider, horrified at meeting the Grim Reaper, may have cried out in desperation, pleading for just one more chance at life. But, we'll never know, as it was bludgeoned to death in one terrifying instant.

Nature is cold and unforgiving, and conceals her secrets well.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Actually, I'm just having a bit of fun. I doubt seriously if that poor spider screamed out when it met it's untimely demise. It does make for a funny visual image, though.

I wonder if they can laugh. Does that necesarrily require vocal chords? Maybe they just smile ...

[edit on 9/14/2004 by netbound]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Anybody else getting that crawling feeling over your skin whilst reading this thread?

I know I am....

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
crawling feeling..oh yes..creepy..i got me feet upon the chair and any slight itch has me jumping..lol..good thread

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Ok sorry i wasn't very clear. I didn't mean they can't communicate, all creatures do so in one form or another. I just meant they can't "talk" in such a way that could be discribed as intelligent conversation.
Reason being is that they don't possess the brain capacity to do so.

Thankfully their communications don't extent mch beyond "this is my space get out or ill kick your ass" and "how bout it tonight baby" in the case of spiders. I could go into depth about ants but its kinda off topic so i'll avoid it. As said though i'm glad they aint so clever, if you think spiders are scary now, just imagine them with true intelligence and the capacity to political diplomatic. Worst case scenario?? you've all seen arachnophobia right????????

[edit on 14-9-2004 by feygan]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Living in Missouri, in an area with a fair amount of trees, foliage, etc... I have a large number of spiders in the house, just your average little brown spider. 100% of the time I leave them be for the simple fact they put out hits on any other actual "pests" in the house. As for brown recluse... Working in surgery I have taken care of brown recluse bites (removing necrotic tissue). It is a strong bite, but easily taken care of if done early. It's people that let them fester and necrose the tissue that have big problems. As far as spiders screaming, that would scare the holy living mother of all things holy and good on this earth out of me. I once saw "hissing?" cockroaches at the zoo, scary little devils.

Funny story about spiders though... We have these greenish spiders here in missouri, I don't actually know what they're called, as I only bothered learning the recluse and widow, they're the only poisonous ones here. One night I was getting ready for bed and saw one on my headboard. Now, friendly as I am with the little guys, I don't particularly want to knowingly sleep with them. So I go get a glass to scoop him up and put him outside. Now, I have my shirt off when I do this, since I was getting ready for bed. I lean over onto my jumbled up pillows and blankets and such to scoop mister spider when I feel this painfull bite on my chest. I look down and it's a second spider just like the one on the headboard!!!! I was set up!!!! Spiders are smarter than we think!

LL1

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Just have to ask you this, how did you come to like spiders? Is this your line of work, not just spiders, but insects?

I happened to just stop into this thread, just to take a look, as is stated
"Spiders Scream", I wanted to see what they were talking about.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I love my spiders! I have been keeping spiders as pets fo about 12 years now...they are very interseting pets.

LL1

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RygelUK
Anybody else getting that crawling feeling over your skin whilst reading this thread?

I know I am....

You're not the only one!

Did you see someone gave a close up of the head of a spider?! OMG!
It has eyes!
The title of the thread caught me eye, and I wanted to see what was up with "Spiders Scream".

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

Did you see someone gave a close up of the head of a spider?! OMG!
It has eyes!

Of course it has eyes!

LL1

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I love my spiders! I have been keeping spiders as pets fo about 12 years now...they are very interseting pets.

Blue my Husky is doing just fine, back to himself, the wound is still slightly open, but dried and healing....

You have spiders?!
They are so unlike dogs/cats and other mammals.
How did you come to like spiders?
Even a dolphin is capable of reciprocal love, and acknowledgment of humans.
But spiders?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LL1

Originally posted by LadyV

Blue my Husky is doing just fine, back to himself, the wound is still slightly open, but dried and healing....

I'm so glad Blue is doing better!!

You have spiders?!
They are so unlike dogs/cats and other mammals.
How did you come to like spiders?
Even a dolphin is capable of reciprocal love, and acknowledgment of humans.
But spiders?

Well, people keep fish too, and you can't hold or touch them, I do handle my spiders.
I also have pet rats, degues, cats, birds, I'm a creature person! I just love critters!

LL1

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
A "Pet Rat"??? OMG!

What are "degues"?
The eyes on the spider... Well, I guess it was the idea of seeing them highly magnified.... They would need to see won't they...

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LL1
Just have to ask you this, how did you come to like spiders? Is this your line of work, not just spiders, but insects?

I happened to just stop into this thread, just to take a look, as is stated
"Spiders Scream", I wanted to see what they were talking about.

Nope i don't work with them or anything, I've had a couple in my time (one brazilian red knee, and one black jungle) But my interest in them comes from admiration more than anything else. In my personal opinion spiders are up there near the top for predatory animals just for their sheer design.

Sure they look creepy, but thats part of the perfection. Something that small that inspires so much in many things, along with the fact that they are solitary hunters and yet still so successful.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   

A "Pet Rat"??? OMG!

Believe it or not Rats are very lovable pets if you treat them right. My ex wife had one that would just hang out all day with her when she was in high school. She would let it run loose in her room and when she called it it would come running. Seems weird but I guess in the right conditions any animal can make a loving companion.

BUt spiders just freak me out in general. My son wants a tarantula and I tell him if he wants one he has to keep it at his moms house and never bring it here.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Chuckster]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Rats are extremely intelligent, very affectionate and very social animals...they are much like dogs....they are so social you should not keep one alone, you need to have them in same sex pairs. They will follow you around like a dog and you can teach them tricks. Most people have a warped view of them due to "wild sewer rats", and for silly reason, people get all stupefied over their tails
I have Siamese and Blues.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join