It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Would you prefer to live next door to someone who has committed a 'violent' crime and owns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
In another thread someone has raised an issue about people who have committed violent crimes and who own guns. I would like to help resolve any questions about this matter so I am curious as to whether you, the reader would prefer that your next door neighbor be a violent criminal and gun owner or not.

Simple yes or no answer will do just fine thank you.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Depends on the person. I wouldn't want to live next to a gangbanger whether he had a gun or not. However, someone who committed a crime 10 years ago and has been clean since then, no problem.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

The key being "violent" crime then no i wouldn't prefer to live beside them. But since I believe in freedom and liberty, it's not my choice as to where they can or can't live.

Personally, and I'm sure I'll get flamed til news years for this, but I feel once you've committed a "violent" crime, you've given up your right to own a firearm.

I also feel the same way about drunk drivers, as far as I'm concerned, strike 1 should make you ineligible to drive, for life.

Guns aren't a problem, people who own those guns are often the problem, and the mentality in the US to shoot first then calm down and figure things out, doesn't make for a good combination.

In how many other countries do people get shot to death over a parking spot?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

No...I do not want my next door neighbor to be a violent criminal and gun owner.

I am curious...why are you asking this question? Are you doing some research?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Well I do own a gun but I am not a criminal and I have no record whatsoever. So to answer the question simply...No I would have no problem with it because I am trained with firearm safety and I can protect my family. If my wife was home and I wasn't she too knows how to properly use a firearm as well. So all in all it wouldn't bother me if I HAD to use force against a criminal to save a life.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

It'd depend on the circumstances. If the person had an extensive history of violence (more than a single event), I would be more than a bit uncomfortable. But if the person say, lost their temper once and was convicted of assault, I probably wouldn't be that uncomfortable. Of course, this is assuming the person appears to be mentally balanced.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This is not a question that can be answered in a simple yes or no...

I would not want the violent thug living next door...Umm when the SHTF I would be even more worried. If it was just a regular gun owner like myself, I wouldnt mind.....maybe we could pull together our resources. BUT if he was a violent criminal with a gun, absolutely not, he would need to be taken out pretty quickly during a SHTF scenario IMO. Ever read One Second After? That is exactly why...
edit on 16-12-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Seeing as the definition of a Crime as a violation of an individual's rights of Life and/or Liberty.

Thereby a violent crime as constituting to a crime inflicted via the use of (excessive) Force.

And according to the law , Legal Gun ownership is only granted to non Felons.

Sure...I wouldn't mind living next door to a Law Enforcement Officer.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
As long as you're armed too, who cares?
Criminals feed on the weak (and unarmed)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I suppose it's a relevant question as more and more states open programs to restore gun rights to convicted felons who've done their time.

I don't mind living next to someone who has committed violent action in the past. That title covers everything from kicking the tail off a molester to a man's child, to the extreme of predatory pre-meditated murder. I think it all depends on what they did and more so, what character they have now. A man in his 50's of good character who got nailed on some violent actions when he was 20, for instance, wouldn't concern me a bit.

On the other hand...I went through the Concealed Carry Weapons course with people that I knew by their presence were likely spotless in criminal past, yet scared me to even be standing on the firing line with. Not only range and handling safety, but a pure question of judgement. The way some people talk who have never experienced violence either given or received, make me feel worse about them than someone who has been there and done that to learn the lessons long before.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
No I do not want a violent criminal with a gun living next door to me.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Good post!

So I will go ahead and throw myself under the bus:

In the past I was arrested for a 'violent' crime. I will provide no more detail on that except that nobody died.
I also recently purchased a gun for hunting and protection, as I enjoy White tail deer meat.

With that and only that, would you feel uncomfortable to live next to me.

ThatGuy45

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well a violent crime now days could be a number of things because how the system now days is broken innocent people go to jail and are falsely tagged criminals all the time. My answer is yes iv done it before il do it again. And P.S. our system is a broken mess to sponge money from the public for very minor and unimportant supposed crimes thank you.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Kind of a loaded question to me. If someone living next door is a violent criminal, that implies he's probably a felon and would not legally be able to own a gun or even any ammo. Now the next part is up to you. You could call the cops and report this guy or not. I suppose it's how much you trust your criminal violent neighbor.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatGuy45

Good post!

In the past I was arrested for a 'violent' crime. I will provide no more detail on that except that nobody died.
I also recently purchased a gun for hunting and protection, as I enjoy White tail deer meat.

ThatGuy45

You leave little to form an opinion on...
However, I'll bite.... Based only on what you've said and particularly the way you chose to word it (Hey..I don't have much to work with.. lol), I'd welcome you as a neighbor.

I see two things in how you presented that which key me to that conclusion, for those who wonder how I came to that. First, you didn't even say what model or caliber you purchased. That tells me you likely bought it with the utility and end result in mind...not the "WOW" factor of having a shiny new gun with every rail and accessory strapped onto it.

Second... While the majority of people first cite self defense and blowing away a bad guy in the middle of the night, you don't even mention harming another person with it.
You're thinking is direct to using it as a means to hunt and obtain food. Again... It's character and mindset for gun ownership in terms of what makes me comfortable or downright nervous about a person. So, welcome neighbor!

(Now you tell us you actually committed the most horrible crime imaginable while still within your 'no one died' criteria, right? lol..)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatGuy45

Good post!

ThatGuy45

Yes, but it also depends, was it a long time ago or recently? Was it drug related? If yes, than I wouldnt want you in my neighborhood.......

If it was robbery, than yes
if it was burglary, than yes
if it was you and buddy fighten after a few beers and then things got out of control, than no
if nobody died but your intent was to kill, than yes
if you hurt someone defending yourself, than no.....
if you spent more than a year in jail for it, than yes......

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The real question is do we believe in lifetime punishment for people? If we do, why was this person let out of prison? If we believe in rehabilitation, why continue to stigmatize and punish?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

It's kind of a silly question, isn't it?

would you prefer that your next door neighbor be a violent criminal and gun owner?

oh yes, I would prefer that!

edit on 16-12-2011 by NewAgeMan because: missed word added

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Thank you very much for that break down. I hope many read that. I posted that information to provide an example for all to see, with your aid.

I was arrested because I physically 'assaulted' an individual. (This is the charge)

A 16 yr old boy was harassing much younger children and destroying personal property. I, age 18,saw this going on for hours and confronted the boy, we argued back and forth, i then turned to walk away. After I was about 15ft away with back turned he yells and I quote: "yea turn an walk away, im going inside and get my fathers machete..."

He now has threated my life, as well as endangered the children near by. I have never acted so fast in my life but I turned and grabbed him, put him against the wall, by his throat I will not skimp that detail, and said "you do that and see what happens, go ahead, do that see what happens then" all while starring him in the eyes. I let go and BACK away till I was far enough away. 2 different neighbors came over to me immediately after and thanked me for taking action. I swear to you that is not a fabrication. Meanwhile the boy had told his dad, his dad comes over gets in my face trying to make me assault him and yells at me for coming onto his property. This is all happening very fast mind you. I refrain as i could see this situation unfolding. In the mean time, his wife called police. Oh he had been drinking by the way. not only did I smell it, but the cop also asked about it. I was arrested because I had left visible marks (aka hand-print redness) on the boy, and by engaging in violence, put the children in danger as well. No 'proof' of anything violent from the 16yr old. so Off to jail I go. Only an over night stay then released. I fortunately could afford a good, worth something lawyer who did an excellent job at collecting facts and reports from as many people he could. In court, The judge was also level headed and could see the entire situation. She said: " You should have called the police, not play hero. Next time, Contact the authorities, and leave the law to law enforcement." 20 hrs community service and 1 year probation, which I passed. So I was NEVER CONVICTED. Just to show things often are not what they seem.

This was 8 or so years ago in a small country town. I can see what I did wrong (in the eyes of the law) so the entire experience really helped to put the 'real world' into perspective.

I provide this story not for debate, but as an example of how things can just....happen. At age 18 being physical was all i could see at the time to help with the situation. So I am NOT trying to paint a picture; "oh I was wronged, darn cops cant see there a** from there face"
Just to show an example of how a situation can unfold. I took responsibility for that day. And I am not ashamed to share it, as it was a good life lesson.

ThatGuy45

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

You're a very good man.

Merry Christmas!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join