It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Would you prefer to live next door to someone who has committed a 'violent' crime and owns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I suffered from noisy neighbours for years when I lived in the city and they made my life a living hell.

I always said that I don't care what my neighbours do so long as they are quiet about it and don't disturb me.

That said, my last neighbour in the city was a non-convicted dealer. I have a friend's word that the neighbour buried a gun in the communal gardens. One night a gunman knocked his door and held him and his girlfriend hostage for hours.

We heard a commotion coming from their apartment as the gunman ransacked the place and just thought it was his girlfriend kicking off as usual - only this time not being quite so noisy about it

Eventually the gunman left, to chase the guy he was originally looking for who had just turned up. Our neighbour called the police and it was listening to them discussing things that helped us to piece together what had happened.

My reaction to all this was a bit of a surprise to me. I'm often quite laid back about things but somewhere inside I felt very uneasy and couldn't recover from it. This event hastened my decision to leave town, which I did at the earliest opportunity.

It's easy to say what you would or wouldn't do in a particular set of circumstances, but some things resonate too deeply to be ignored.

Violence comes in many forms and there are some levels of violence that wouldn't worry me too much - I'd smack someone if they provoked me enough. Some violent people are only violent towards others of their own ilk and wouldn't hit anyone else.

My neighbour of choice would be someone quiet who doesn't attract trouble to the doorstep. If they can manage that I don't think I'd lose too much sleep about what they did away from the area. **

**I'm not saying that I condone criminal or violent behaviour - just looking at the question from the point of view as to whether or not I'd want someone as a neighbour.

edit on 16-12-2011 by berenike because: trying to squirm off the hook

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Felons with guns only scare me if they are still committing violent crimes.

I can say personally I know that some can change; be a productive part of society again and in these cases no I'm not afraid.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatGuy45

That definitely falls under the self defense category if you ask me.........good for you for acting so fast!
Being threatened with a large weapon like that would be scary to me!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

I would not want to live next door to someone has been in goal for a violent crime and who has guns any more than I would want to live next door to someone who is violent and own guns but has never been to goal.

Are you suggesting that the latter in my reply here is in someway less dangerous than the former? If so why?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't think its right to lose rights because you've committed a crime and paid for it. Once you do your probation or sentence in prison you should re-establish gun ownership rights. I think in California you have to petition the courts to regain the ability to own a gun once you've been convicted of a felony. Why should I have to be unarmed in my own house when people are walking around with guns. Its clearly not fair and a conspiracy to disarm americans through violations of the constitution.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join