It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Crash in Kentucky

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by astrocreep

anyone else wonder if this is perhaps a missile that got shot down ? What with all the rising tensions between the US, China, Russia, well anyone for that matter.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Azekual

Hey, I used to live there..out in Kirksville on Posey Ridge. I'm back in S.E. KY now and have been since 03. I lived near the depot where they stored nerve gas. Never really felt good about that and after 9-11, things got pretty hairy out there.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Watched him on a Documentary the other day. For some reason it always gets to me when he presents those figurines of Flying Fish as proof of airplanes, even though he knows they are Flying Fish. To many frauds in this topic.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
State offices were closed today for the governor's innauguration. That agency is not a first repsonse type of office. All law enforcement and EMS are still online.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
My mom lives in Hazard, I'm from there and I have other family members in the area. My step father's mother and family lives very close to where this happened as well. She called me and told me about it and said crazy things were happening. I am going to as her if she saw helicopters or National Guard or anything.

What I can tell you is that area of Hazard is very populated, but has wilderness with steep hills and valleys right behind it. If you Google street view Lothair Hazard, Ky you will see. It's no joke. Even though Hazard has well over 10,000 residents in the greater area, there are many places within a few hundred meters of residential areas that have never been walked through.

About Mammoth Cave....it is no where near Hazard. In fact, it's about a 3 hour drive from there. There are numerous abandoned mines around the area, but do not get images in your head like what you see in the media. The way coal is mined in southeastern Kentucky and Hazard in particular is strip mining. For those of you that do not know, what the mining companies do is simply level the tops of the mountains and sift out the coal from the debris. They do not use the mine shaft technique. However, I have seen some older ones catch fire and burn for days, but nothing like an explosion or anything.

Not saying this is the explanation AT ALL, but UFOs are not strangers to Hazard. Friends of my mom, who had known each other for years worked as night watchmen on the tops on the hills for the mining companies. Once, a few of them saw an illuminated disc in the sky. It flew to them, then hovered. One of the frightened nightwatchmen pulled out a gun and shot at it. The disc zipped away and the nightwatchmen rarely if ever talked about it since. My mother also saw something odd in the sky, once as a child and once with me when I was a child. I am very skeptical of her childhood sighting. When she saw one when I was a child she tried to get me to look and I was too scared. I really wish I had as I have excellent recall. I believe her adult sighting was a comet or something though. Just an untrained observer.

The last thing I want to mention is that people in Hazard are not ones to fall prey to UFO mania. It's very closed and a devout Baptist religious community for the most part. People there do no think outside the box, so when I heard people say something exploded in the sky and crashed, that's for sure what I believe. There is extremely scarce air traffic in Hazard. No real airport. Occasionally you see a 747 at 30,000' cruise over, but that's it. No news choppers. No military air traffic either. So weather balloons, military exercises, flares and all the usual suspects.....I'm calling BS on it. It was some sort of covert craft, UFO, exploding meteorite, reentering satellite or something of the sort. I will definitely not believe what the mass media says about it.

Soon to follow with more info.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
reply to post by Blaine91555

Your wasting your time. The true believers have already decided that their life is so dull and meaningless that they must find conspiracy in everything, therefore a NON-EVENT such as this gets posted in the Aliens and UFO section. What a laughable joke.

And people wonder why this subject can't be taken seriously, it's because of the legions of useful idiots involved with it, that's why.

And to the person that called all the numbers and is trying to tie that into some stupid conspiracy.....seriously? You called the wrong numbers dude. You called an empty office. The phone line is unmanned. They always are. Call the direct line to the companies and you will get a live person that is ANXIOUS and EAGER to IMMEDIATELY direct your call to someone very important. But why are those lines unmanned in the first place you ask? I could tell you the details, but I'm betting your ignorance level would not allow you to understand, and the reasonable explanation I give you would end up twisted into part of your delusional and ignorant conspiracy fantasies.

oh shut up.

have some respect for the OP. They were just reporting an interesting event. You seem to personify ignorance yourself.

And another thing... shaddap

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
It was obviously a flying saucer from MARS... yeah that's the ticket

second line

edit on 13-12-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
reply to post by Azekual

Hey, I used to live there..out in Kirksville on Posey Ridge. I'm back in S.E. KY now and have been since 03. I lived near the depot where they stored nerve gas. Never really felt good about that and after 9-11, things got pretty hairy out there.

It's not too bad here now. They are in the process of destroying the nerve gas, but since it is the last stores of it the nation has, that makes it a huge target for terrorists,
Also, We've been getting a large number of UFO sightings recently, whether they're legit or not I have no clue. I have yet to review them

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gymbeau2000
My mom lives in Hazard, I'm from there and I have other family members in the area. My step father's mother and family lives very close to where this happened as well. She called me and told me about it and said crazy things were happening. I am going to as her if she saw helicopters or National Guard or anything.

What I can tell you is that area of Hazard is very populated, but has wilderness with steep hills and valleys right behind it. If you Google street view Lothair Hazard, Ky you will see. It's no joke. Even though Hazard has well over 10,000 residents in the greater area, there are many places within a few hundred meters of residential areas that have never been walked through.

About Mammoth Cave....it is no where near Hazard. In fact, it's about a 3 hour drive from there. There are numerous abandoned mines around the area, but do not get images in your head like what you see in the media. The way coal is mined in southeastern Kentucky and Hazard in particular is strip mining. For those of you that do not know, what the mining companies do is simply level the tops of the mountains and sift out the coal from the debris. They do not use the mine shaft technique. However, I have seen some older ones catch fire and burn for days, but nothing like an explosion or anything.

Not saying this is the explanation AT ALL, but UFOs are not strangers to Hazard. Friends of my mom, who had known each other for years worked as night watchmen on the tops on the hills for the mining companies. Once, a few of them saw an illuminated disc in the sky. It flew to them, then hovered. One of the frightened nightwatchmen pulled out a gun and shot at it. The disc zipped away and the nightwatchmen rarely if ever talked about it since. My mother also saw something odd in the sky, once as a child and once with me when I was a child. I am very skeptical of her childhood sighting. When she saw one when I was a child she tried to get me to look and I was too scared. I really wish I had as I have excellent recall. I believe her adult sighting was a comet or something though. Just an untrained observer.

The last thing I want to mention is that people in Hazard are not ones to fall prey to UFO mania. It's very closed and a devout Baptist religious community for the most part. People there do no think outside the box, so when I heard people say something exploded in the sky and crashed, that's for sure what I believe. There is extremely scarce air traffic in Hazard. No real airport. Occasionally you see a 747 at 30,000' cruise over, but that's it. No news choppers. No military air traffic either. Sonumerous.....I'm calling BS on it. It was some sort of covert craft, UFO, exploding meteorite, reentering satellite or something of the sort. I will definitely not believe what the mass media says about it.

Soon to follow with more info.

Agreed with everything you said.

I'm calling BS on the usual suspects as well. I live beside the Knott/Perry county line and no one has any clue as to what this thing was. There is no evidence of anything aside from some people hearing the boom, seeing the fireball fall, houses shaking and chared trees/ground. Thats it.

You are correct UFOs are no stranger to the area, as I've saw them numerous times before on camping trips and such. I wouldn't be surprised if what everyone saw involves a UFO, but I don't think we will ever find out what it is. It is pretty interesting though.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

My mom lives in Hazard, I'm from there and I have other family members in the area. My step father's mother and family lives very close to where this happened as well. She called me and told me about it and said crazy things were happening. I am going to as her if she saw helicopters or National Guard or anything. What I can tell you is that area of Hazard is very populated, but has wilderness with steep hills and valleys right behind it. If you Google street view Lothair Hazard, Ky you will see. It's no joke. Even though Hazard has well over 10,000 residents in the greater area, there are many places within a few hundred meters of residential areas that have never been walked through. About Mammoth Cave....it is no where near Hazard. In fact, it's about a 3 hour drive from there. There are numerous abandoned mines around the area, but do not get images in your head like what you see in the media. The way coal is mined in southeastern Kentucky and Hazard in particular is strip mining. For those of you that do not know, what the mining companies do is simply level the tops of the mountains and sift out the coal from the debris. They do not use the mine shaft technique. However, I have seen some older ones catch fire and burn for days, but nothing like an explosion or anything. Not saying this is the explanation AT ALL, but UFOs are not strangers to Hazard. Friends of my mom, who had known each other for years worked as night watchmen on the tops on the hills for the mining companies. Once, a few of them saw an illuminated disc in the sky. It flew to them, then hovered. One of the frightened nightwatchmen pulled out a gun and shot at it. The disc zipped away and the nightwatchmen rarely if ever talked about it since. My mother also saw something odd in the sky, once as a child and once with me when I was a child. I am very skeptical of her childhood sighting. When she saw one when I was a child she tried to get me to look and I was too scared. I really wish I had as I have excellent recall. I believe her adult sighting was a comet or something though. Just an untrained observer. The last thing I want to mention is that people in Hazard are not ones to fall prey to UFO mania. It's very closed and a devout Baptist religious community for the most part. People there do no think outside the box, so when I heard people say something exploded in the sky and crashed, that's for sure what I believe. There is extremely scarce air traffic in Hazard. No real airport. Occasionally you see a 747 at 30,000' cruise over, but that's it. No news choppers. No military air traffic either. So weather balloons, military exercises, flares and all the usual suspects.....I'm calling BS on it. It was some sort of covert craft, UFO, exploding meteorite, reentering satellite or something of the sort. I will definitely not believe what the mass media says about it. Soon to follow with more info.
reply to post by gymbeau2000

I second what you said about people here. I'm in Rockcastle, but I know Hazard. Was there not too long ago and know lots of people who live there and the surrounding area. Most people around here tend to call things as they see them. Those people who live in Hazard would know a mine explosion if they saw it. I know people who work in those mines. Most of them come from a generations of miners. They know that stuff like the backs of their hands. If they said it wasn't a mine explosion, then I believe it wasn't a mine explosion.

Also wanted to add that I'm not hearing ANYTHING about this, but I haven't talked to the people I know in that area. I've had too much going on here on my own, but now that things have settled for me, I'm going to see if I can get in touch with a few of them and see what they have to say. Will report back if anybody has anything of interest to say.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
reply to post by astrocreep

anyone else wonder if this is perhaps a missile that got shot down ? What with all the rising tensions between the US, China, Russia, well anyone for that matter.

I was actually just wondering what a scenario in which a missile gets shot down over Kentucky would look like. Criss-cross of smoke in the sky? Earth-shaking explosion? Aerial fireball? Area of charred forest below? No missing airplanes? Lack of concrete official explanation after two days? Strange lack of follow up by local media? Who knows?

Seems as though something happened in the sky. That might raise doubts about the idea that it was a mine explosion. Seems as though no planes have been reported missing. I would think two missing planes would be noticed.

Could the details of this report be explained by a plane being shot down from the ground? Maybe some kind of bazooka-type thing involved? Would there be any reason for a coverup of such an event? Would there be any reason to cover up a foreign missile being shot down over the U.S.? If it were one of these events, or something similar, what kind of response would we expect to see from the local media and officialdom?

Has anyone noticed if this piece of news has been reported outside the local area? Have any of the wire services picked it up? A large explosion in the sky that remains unexplained after more than 48 hours is definitely wire-worthy, I would think.

I don't know what it was, obviously, but there are a lot of odd things about this. I'm interested to see how it plays out.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
Don't take me for a debunker, but it is Geminid Meteor Shower time of the year. Just thought I'd mention it.

That is very true. It's peaking right now/in the next few hours. I saw a couple of nice Geminid fireballs earlier on myself.

However, No annual meteor, which includes the Geminids has ever been known to drop meteorites/create sonic booms.

Is there a chance of a meteor from a meteor shower or storm reaching the ground as a meteorite, and is it dangerous to observe meteor storms?

The meteoroids which make up a meteor shower or storm are very fragile in nature, and are composed of a somewhat “fluffy” composite of material from which all volatile material has escaped, due to many trips near the sun. This material readily vaporizes in the upper atmosphere, and is given the descriptive name of “friable” material. While quite spectacular to watch, a meteor storm presents no real danger to the viewer, who is protected by miles of atmosphere.

Source: The American Meteor Society

The fact that it is the Geminid meteor shower at this time of year, does not mean that small asteroids, which are usually the cause of meteorite dropping fireballs that hit us constantly throughout the year suddenly go away.

Our best estimates of the total incoming meteoroid flux indicate that about 10 to 50 meteorite dropping events occur over the earth each day.

Source: The American Meteor Society

These can cause sonic booms as they made of relatively hard material that is capable of surviving atmospheric entry, but in the case of the Geminids, although they are thought to be caused by an asteroid, some asteroids are composed of significantly weak material.

Having followed reports like this for many years, as well as studying/observing meteor showers, my guess would be that this was perhaps a fireball which dropped meteorites on the ground (hence the booms/rumbling), that is unrelated to the Geminid meteor shower. The fact that it happened during the shower is most likely pure coincidence.

Originally posted by Daedal
This is an article from the Hazard Herald (KY) where the explosion rocked the area..apparently there is speculation as to what was the cause. Although reports have stated some witnessed fireballs to an airplane crashing.

Well it's not uncommon for people to misidentify meteors as aircraft (and UFOs) as I pointed out (and included a link to a recent example) in the thread I started here.

The question is, were the booms that were heard related to what might well have been a meteor observed at around the same time. The only way to tell for sure is to find a witness who saw the meteor as well as hearing the booms.

Booms from fireball class meteors are usually heard a few minutes after the meteor is observed since it takes time for the sound to travel to the observer, and there may also be a delay between the meteorites falling deep enough into the atmosphere where the air is thick enough for sound waves to propagate and the point at which it has stopped being luminous.
edit on 14-12-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: clarification/added one more quote

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
..Possibly related :

I live in s. central Ky, about 45 miles from Mammoth Cave. The past few months I've experienced strange things, however the one this brought to mind are the three diff. occasions that I've heard strange aircraft flying over the house. On all three occasions, same sounds, the best I can describe it is .. almost like a large helicopter flying low, really loud, but more than that was how it seemed to be covering, or attempting to cover, the sound of something going much much faster and at a much much higher altitude. However, I am very ignorant on such things, and have no idea if that's even possible or if using a second thing to cover the sound of the first would even be needed. ..just thought it could possibly be related.
This is the first that I'm hearing of anything going on elsewhere in the state. Most of the news I get comes from the internet, or word of mouth. I almost never watch local news, but word still travels fast.

..and a question. Is there any reason that FEMA would be in/around Hazard, doing any type of building or construction? I have a friend who was talking to a guy he works for sometimes in Lexington about going to work for him in Hazard on his FEMA contract. ..could have that wrong though.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
reply to post by Blaine91555

Your wasting your time. The true believers have already decided that their life is so dull and meaningless that they must find conspiracy in everything, therefore a NON-EVENT such as this gets posted in the Aliens and UFO section. What a laughable joke.

And people wonder why this subject can't be taken seriously, it's because of the legions of useful idiots involved with it, that's why.

And to the person that called all the numbers and is trying to tie that into some stupid conspiracy.....seriously? You called the wrong numbers dude. You called an empty office. The phone line is unmanned. They always are. Call the direct line to the companies and you will get a live person that is ANXIOUS and EAGER to IMMEDIATELY direct your call to someone very important. But why are those lines unmanned in the first place you ask? I could tell you the details, but I'm betting your ignorance level would not allow you to understand, and the reasonable explanation I give you would end up twisted into part of your delusional and ignorant conspiracy fantasies.

First of all some people reported some thing(s) flying across the sky and could not identify it therefore it would be considered an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO), hence why the report was placed in this section. But, of course a person of your stature and obvious uber intelligence has recognized such a small concept and therefore mistakenly posted such a trolling response to this thread.

Second, if all of the numbers I listed (and let us not forget the "emergency hotline") were just "unmanned" numbers why didn't an electronic call service take the call and attempt to resolve the issue at hand instead of a real live person's voice mail stating to just "leave a message". And why would these numbers be the only ones I could find listed to the public?

Could you list your "real" numbers? They are after all public numbers correct? You have the "real" numbers? Why not post them in order to add substance and credibility to your post and at the same time we might be able to talk to an actual person and find out what the hell is going on?

Also, I never mentioned "aliens","conspiracy" or even "UFO's" so stop being confrontational, attacking and trollish. Grow up a bit and join the adult conversation, leave the kiddie attacks at the start button.

-Alien

edit on 12/14/2011 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
..not sure how reliable the source is, but there is one post in the topix discussion mentioned, about 30 min. ago by a guy asking if anyone was experiencing any strange symptoms since the explosion/crash, saying both he and his wife were. And also a link to local news reporting it was a meteor. ...Hmm.. interesting, no doubt.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Regardless of the outcome, this is a very mysterious case:

hazard-herald.com...< br />
My wife and I live about an hour from the place mentioned in the story. We tend to be skeptical people and take all eyewitness reports with a grain of salt, but we have been following this story very closely. We first read about it on Twitter the night it happened (the tweet was posted by a reporter in that area and on scene). There was a lot of confusion initially and there STILL seems to be a lot of confusion.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Hollyjo - Don't you know FEMA is the new spook...they are everywhere, lol.

After talking to my mom on the phone, she said she heard the helicopter somewhere around 9:30-10pm that night. She believes it was not a military vehicle and I sort of believe her. She described it as a lighter sound, not deep like normal military birds...and yes, she has head Blackhawks, Kiowas and the like. Just not alot.

The area described is Lower Second Creek. For those of you trying to pin down the area, The Hazard Vocational School area is likely the area and going straight line towards Lothair. All the area behind the Voc School is old strip mined areas and wilderness. Also, I want to mention they still have not found a possible crash or impact site. What was reported locally was that they found burnt and smoldered land and trees in the vicinity of where the fireball was reported as going down. Teams on foot looked around the area and saw some burnt trees and smoking around. They have been and still are reporting that they do not know if this is where it happened.

My personal opinion is that it was something burning up as it reentered the atmosphere, be it meteorite or satellite. Although if something crashed it would be extremely easy to recover it and transport it out. Large trucks and moving covered equipment is too common around the area. No one would look twice. But In my opinion, that's not what this is.

People seem to be all hung up on where this landed but here is my question. Why are people not talking about the collision? Who saw that? What did they see? Where are those reports? That's what was initially announced and now those people are silent. That is what makes me wonder.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In the Topix thread, someone brought up a good point.

If it was a fireball, this isn't the first. These have been occurring at increasing frequencies for the past year.

Get ready...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
In the Topix thread, someone brought up a good point.

If it was a fireball, this isn't the first. These have been occurring at increasing frequencies for the past year.

Get ready...
'

That's true, although there does seem to be some validity to the meteor impact as well. Don't you think?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JoeGuitar

Yeah, but they would have found an impact crater.

I'm trying to dig up all the fireball stories that happened this year.

I remember 2 or 3 of them making national news, one of them happened in Vegas if I recall correctly.

This is probably the same phenomena. I wouldn't rule out a meteor, but with no impact site, crash, or pieces found - this makes it similar to the other fireball cases. Now the question is, what the hell are these fireballs scorching through our atmosphere?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join