It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Crash in Kentucky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Apparently, people in the area saw and felt a huge explosion last night and right now, its being explained away any way it can. They are saying an abandoned mine exploded but inspectors have been on site today and the director of KY's Abandoned Mine Lands program was just on the local news and said that they found nothing to indicate there was an explosion to do with old mine works.

The gossip around here is that it appeared something collided mid-air and exploded. People reported seeing a fireball with a trail falling toward the ground. The FAA was on site and thought it might have been an aircraft but have no missing planes.

www.wkyt.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by astrocreep

Thanks for the heads up

I will stay tuned to this one. It's good to know we got a member who is local that can do look into it properly.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I am from Ky and my family lives there -
should give them a call and see what
they have heard about this. Interesting
as people are talking about a collision
in mid air. Otherwise I would say a
meteor as there have been a lot of
meteor showers lately.
Thanks OP - hope to hear more
about this.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I didn't hear that particular explosion, but there have been a lot of big "booms" around Kentucky lately. I've heard several over the past two months. Each time, they were loud enough to shake the house and I looked outside, trying to find out what happened, expecting to see smoke, but there was nothing. My sister, who lives less than ten miles away from me, heard one that woke her up early Friday morning. I have also heard other people mention them.

It's doubtful that these big booms are all related, but it's very odd. There is no construction going on in my area, so no blasting that I'm aware of. I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be keeping up with the story you posted. Thanks for that! I seldom watch the news these days, so I'm glad you mentioned it on here.

edit on 12/12/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hmm, this isn't too far from where I live, but I heard nothing last night. Maybe i'll take a little drive. There's a really good chance it's just another clandestine lab though.

edit on 12/12/2011 by GoldenObserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Do you know any places that might have a webcam or surveillance camera in the area that night?

Perhaps a friend or family member who works or owns a business had their surveillance video aimed in the right direction to catch a shot of what ever it was.

ETA...

Now that I think about it chances are any surveillance would be aimed downwards, It's worth looking into though.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Don't take me for a debunker, but it is Geminid Meteor Shower time of the year. Just thought I'd mention it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Dont want to be the Party pooper but wouldnt the Fed's show up pretty fast, right after the crash if there was one?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is from a local forum:

hazweb.proboards.com...

There's something definitely going on. The first report was that someone saw 2 planes crash into each other in the air. This was from the Woodland Park-Lothair area. Some of the first police to get to that area said they could see smoke rising above the mountain. But they hadn't been able to find an exact location until a search helicopter came in and it found the fire/smoke in the Lotts Creek area. I think they are still searching and trying to find out exactly what did happen.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I would have to go with

A) Meth lab

B) moonshine still

C) A bunch of drunk rednecks with homemade fireworks.

ETA: C would have been my friends and I.

Oops!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenObserver

Thats what I thought at first as well but for it to be this big, I doubt it being a meth lab. That would have sure been evident. They say Abandoned Mine Lands inspectors are going back tomorrow to take another look. They did find a smoldering coal seam fire in the area but no evidence there had been an explosion.

I've got an inside with that agency so I will follow up after they take another look.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Do you think this could have been a project related to the " Kentucky space program, " it has happened before, at least from Kentucky, and NASA. The article below desrcibes a crashed satellite which came from Kentucky's space program.

Source / Alternative source

The satellite was on an unmanned rocket headed to space from NASA's Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. Something went wrong during the launch and the rocket and satellite, didn't make orbit, crashing into the Pacific Ocean.

Students and professors in the "Kentucky Space" program spent more than five years building the satellite.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here is the latest report.

55 mins 18 secs ago HAZARD – Officials in Perry County say they believe they know the source of an explosion heard by several people Sunday night. John Epperson, Perry County’s emergency management director, said it appears at present that a blowout at an abandoned mine near Upper Second Creek may have produced the explosion. “The best we can figure, it is an underground mine that is on fire on High Rock Road,” he said. Epperson said a crew with the Division of Abandoned Mine Lands was en route to the site Monday morning to make a final determination. He said the site was spotted from the air Sunday when a helicopter flew over the area following reports of something crash landing near Hazard. Some of those reports noted that witnesses saw something exploding. Epperson noted that it is possible that a build-up of gas inside the old mine produced a fireball. He said trees in the immediate area had been scorched as a result of intense heat. There have been no injuries reported as a result of the incident. The Herald will continue to follow this story and update when more details become available Read more: Hazard Herald (KY) - UPDATE Fire in abandoned mine likely cause of explosion Read more: hazweb.proboards.com...

hazweb.proboards.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dinogur

I did hear that two guys tried to access the area and were stopped and told the area was off limits but I take that with a grain of sand because it was just hear say. People around here can get a bit creative but with reports of explosions and shaking homes, something had to have happened. If it was blasting on an active mine, there would be siesmograph data showing it as required by the permit.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It is possible these are caused by 'Frost Quakes' en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This is a strange comment in this story:

www.wkyt.com...

Crews have been searching for the scene for several hours. A helicopter was brought in to help with the search. We're told it spotted charred trees, smoke and flames but had to turn back after running low on fuel.

Now, that was posted by the news site at 11:30 last night and there hasn't been any update anywhere or on any of the stories on this?
Hmmm.... they obviously know where it was, so why haven't they come out and said what it was???

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

I live outside of Louisville and have also heard a lot of loud noises lately. I wouldn't call them "booms", it is more like a rolling sound, almost like thunder. They last way too long to be thunder and seem to happen when the weather is clear. I always chalk it up to Fort Knox, even though that is really far from me. I wonder if we are hearing the same things.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

The Abandoned Mine agency looked at it today and found no signs of an explosion. They are making a return trip on Wednesday.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Apparently, people in the area saw and felt a huge explosion last night and right now, its being explained away any way it can. They are saying an abandoned mine exploded but inspectors have been on site today and the director of KY's Abandoned Mine Lands program was just on the local news and said that they found nothing to indicate there was an explosion to do with old mine works.

The gossip around here is that it appeared something collided mid-air and exploded. People reported seeing a fireball with a trail falling toward the ground. The FAA was on site and thought it might have been an aircraft but have no missing planes.

www.wkyt.com...

Do you know the location of the explosion, maybe a near by city or something?
edit on 12-12-2011 by Daedal because: spelling

Nevermind found it...
edit on 12-12-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

I live on the westside of Louisville,and I here Fort knox all the time on their firing range.
It sounds like a distant boom,boom,boom that you can hardly hear,but more like feel it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join