It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Timbit17

I believe you are wrong. It's the few, the elite, the controlling ones, that are not ready to give up their power, should we ever have contact.

The majority of people would have no problem with ET.

Again, it's nonsense to think that an advanced civilization would come to Earth to take our resources, or us, or the entire planet. Just makes no sense whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Good info , but I prey for mankind if English is your first language.
Also Steven Hawkins is so last season.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well put it all into a different context.

Your alone, Fending for yourself, maybe in a war zone (as an example)
Things are tough and your still trying to survive by your wits and whatever resources you can find.
You've managed to set up a reasonably good little habitation and the future has promise.

You see new people nearby, strangers. They appear to not have the habitation and resources that you do.
Your lonely and a part of you really wants company but your also worried that they won't be friendly.

Contacting them would be risky.

It makes sense that Hawking would say that if they lived on big ships they would most likely not be friendly. But if they had their own healthy planet there is a much better chance that they would be friendly.

It's a matter of survival.
Would you sacrifice your own family to help strangers?

If you strip the issue down to it's bare essentials, take into consideration the behaviour of the life that we are familiar with and approach the problem logically then Hawking makes a pretty good point.

Now consider that we (humanity) discover a lost tribe of 'cave men' on earth. What would we want from them? what would the most valuable thing be? How would we treat them? How would it effect them?
If it was just you that discovered them and only you, what would you do? what would your concerns be?

Run the problem as a kind of simulation, remove as many variables as you can and work with only the bare essentials, put the problems into a different context/scenario and see what results you get.

I think that to assume certain characteristics of an intelligent alien species is a bit premature, however there are a few characteristics of all the known life and indeed science that seem to hold true across the board.

Action = reaction, For every action there is an equal and opposite re-action, if your attacked you try to defend yourself. Life always tries to preserve itself.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Your last line referencing the misspelling of "recentnly" by the poster railing against Mr. Hawking cause me to have an epithany.
I appears to me that the vast majority of negative posts, in regards to Mr. hawking's idea, contain a lot of misspellings, bad grammar and just plain poorly thought out premise.
Perhaps we have a cabal of negativity conspiring to discredit the hostile alien theory. Perhaps the aliens themselves! Makes sense to me! The aliens being unfamiliar with our language, word structure and the like. Or, perhaps guiling us with their "poor communication skills" while in actuallty secretly implanting sublimital hypnotic mind control techniquues upon use. Yea that's the ticket!
Lucky I have my foil hat on and am impervious to such trickery

Please take note: any mispellings, bad grammar or poor premis in my response is intentional and constructed in such a way as to nullify the aliens sinister mind games.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Yes there was some concern as to what we had done with the Neanderthal, I'm sure they weer delicious.

The other thing that seems to take precedence is survival of the species gene's and evolution, so if the aliens were on the move due to over crowding and to proliferate their species I'm sure we would be in trouble.

I think they might resemble us but I really doubt we would be able to mate with them,because their alien, plus any protege would most likely be steroil.
Would you do Alf?

Please feel free to correct any spelling, glamor or punctuation errors to your own satisfaction.

I must be psychic, ha,ha

edit on 11-12-2011 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Michio Kaku is a fearmongerer and has zero credibility. Theorists flock to him because he's a theoretical physicist. You can have a degree and still be stupid.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by grubblesnert

ROTFL

Second line: Did you check your own spelling?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

Saddens me that you would say such a thing and that you received stars for it.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by posterboy

The last line is my disclaimer and I standby it. Your question throws you in a suspcious light. You may be part of the alien agenda. Do you own enough foil to construct yourself a hat?
Please reread my previous post in it entirety.

Also, please be advised that this response may also contain grammarical or spelling errors designed to help ferret out the conspirators................

edit on 11-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: part of the plan

edit on 11-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: well...ah. you know.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longman
Michio Kaku is a fear monger and has zero credibility. Theorists flock to him because he's a theoretical physicist. You can have a degree and still be stupid.

Yes he said Japan accident would be contaminated for 100,000 years, like so many others he has left out the Human in their equationsion.
If we survive this should be a fixable thing in short time.
edit on 11-12-2011 by googolplex because: 4b

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
There has been ufo sightings for hundreds of years if not more. Its totally possible that if any of these craft were spy drones not from earth that we are being watched by a race that is gathering lots of data on our missile defense systems, water purity , aircraft ability, nuclear energy, breeding for slavery.etc
These drones could have been sent hundreds of years ago and have been watching our evolution. Think about it. You send scouts first. They gain intel . Then you send your squad in. Im Guessing the intel a scout would have gathered on our military machine would be bringing some serious fire power back with the main squad. They mgiht have already tried to negotiate with us. We might have already prooved hostile towards them by shooting drones down. We captured and reverse engeneered their technology. The problem with hawkings observation is that its not about us finding them or them finding us . Its that they are already here and they are bringing more of them in mass very soon.

Just a thought.

edit on 11-12-2011 by lizardman because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Realistically they are already here, it's crazy to think they are not. They put us here, we are a corporation being run by them.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
the cultist here believe aliens are our friends.. and rainbows, pony's, unicorns will be flying, angels will be singing, all our problems will be solved.

His opinion is completely rational. I'd believe him before, I believe some of this space family bull# some people talk about..
edit on 11-12-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

That does not necessarily follow. Yes they would be advanced but to assume the conclusion is not a necessary condition.

A million variables could change that. One scenario they had to get off their planet due to natural phenomena like a sun about to explode or a black hole bearing down. Thats two of millions.

Native American "If they are advanced enough to cross the ocean, they would not need our land"

I mean the variables are so many that yours is true. Possibly the visitors which have come already didnt need the earth and kept on their merry way after visiting.

Maybe salt water is the 'dilithium crystal" of the massive ship. We dont know. Peaceful visitors to violent tyrants are all equally plausible especially over a millenium.

In fact the stories of the 'sky battles' from ancient times could very well have been one peaceful group of aliens protecting us from violent aliens.

Satan could be the metaphor for one interloper and 'god' the metaphor for the other. God won but satan will return.

i.e. Aliens from Cygnus won but the violent tryants will return from alpha centauri. Idk. You dont know.

Hawkings doesnt know but he understand probability.

Keep in mind the recent hubble photograph of a minute spot in 'dark space' revealing 10,000 galaxies resulting in billions of planets.

Such numbers NECESSARILY means there is other life forms. Some way behind us and others way in front of us.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Stephen Hawking has revealed he strongly believes in aliens and warned that Earth could be at risk from an invasion.
In a documentary series, the renowned astrophysicist argued that it is 'perfectly rational' to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.
And in an extraordinary series of assertions, he said Earth might be at risk from what he imagines to be 'massive ships' which could try to colonise our planet and plunder our resources

In a documentary series, the renowned astrophysicist argued that it is 'perfectly rational' to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

it is 'perfectly rational' to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.

it is 'perfectly rational' to assume

This just in = assumptions are rational

edit on 11-12-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
well i thought i would add to this because a lot of people seem to just be reading the title and going "zomg!!! hawking said aliens will invade us for resources! zomg!! he so stupid!!". that seems to be the vibe i get, but first off like others say it is all speculation and the main point hawking was trying to get across is that we should not be so quick to look for other life out there. he only based what they would do on the fact of our own human ancestry, i mean lets be honest wars have always been fought and there seems to be no end in sight of it.

anyways, on to my real point of this post is my own views on it. lets start with all the ideas that if aliens have interstellar technology it must be absolutely perfect! i mean, just look at us with our own aeronautics, we obviously haven't been going through stages of advancement, right? that is one theory of mine of is that resources still may be needed in abundance, heck this could be their first interstellar flight and we are the closest inhabitants of a planet to them. what if their planet was doomed and they were just getting things working, well they ship off to the closest people around for help or to take over a new home. i highly doubt aliens would care much about what we are, just look at how we treat every other species on the planet, we think absolutely nothing of them. for all the meat eaters out there, i'm sure you don't look at a cow and say, oh wow that is some life with small intelligence, you just see food to be made.

though, that idea still to me seems a little far fetched but i do, however, think this next idea is more plausible. so to start off, we can all agree people in the world throughout the ages have enslaved others to do grunt work, such as mining, etc. now, lets say it is easy enough for aliens to travel from inhabited planet to inhabited planet. i think a more likely version of them plundering our resources is to make us do it, they might be out hunting for "primitive" life such as ours to get what they want. now, that is where i think things are made more plausible, because if they can enslave us, what would be stopping them from doing it to many more planets? i mean, if i were going to create a galactic empire, i would have as many planets gathering resources as i could. the hostile aliens hawking could be speculating about would be conquering planet after planet, soon they would have an abundance of supplies from all kinds of places. not to mention the fact that they could focus all their intelligence on making superior technology and advancing more, while we stay slaves. i think this idea makes a lot more sense than all the talk here about how aliens are just ravaging one planet at a time? i mean it has worked on a small scale here on earth in ancient times, many cultures in the last few thousand years would use the prisoners of war to do all the dirty work, just look at the romans for example. this is just my idea, but maybe it will help give some people here a good thought on why they would be taking our resources, or rather making us get our resources for them.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
If you believe ANYTHING that has been published or has even had his name on it since he lost his ability to speak and communicate other than that stupid computer voice,then you are with out a doubt an idiot.

He is a being used as a "puppet" by the University of Cambridge.

He lives on campus in a house provided for by the university.

EVERYTHING is provided for by the university.

All his attendants/assistants are physics majors and there is no way a person can even be left alone with him.

SO,take everything you read that reports to be from him with a possibility that it is some one elses opinion or belief.

SO freaking tired of reading or hearing.... "Stephen Hawking said".

HE CAN'T TALK!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ya know, to the people in here that are attempting to downplay Stephen's insights, you simply just don't understand him, nor the natural order of life when it comes to resources.

First off, to even state that there are not aliens due the lack of official proof, well.. you're just proving that you can't even begin to grasph the vast size of the universe, nor even consider the probability of how many trillions of planets that are out there and unexplored/undiscovered. In fact to state that there is no other forms of intelligent life in the universe would be like saying there's no needle in a foot-ball field filled 100 feet high with hay, just because the first handful you grabbed didn't have a needle.

Now, as per his "fearmongering" - it really isn't. The natural instinct to live, and acquire resources to do this leads creatures to violence if necessary. It's seen in every aspect of the animal kingdom, AND has been a proven phenomenon through the use of artificial intelligence too.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Okay, I have big problems with this. First, is because of my belief that the extraterrestrials that are around Earth at this time are "good". However, there's more reasons I don't like what "Mr. Hawking" has to "say".

1. How do we know that it is even him talking? How do we know that anything he EVER said was him? You have this man who - for years now - has been in a wheelchair with barely some eye movement. I mean literally, all he can move is his eyes. We know how the elite works. We know that they could have said it was this man that was an Astrophysicist, who came up with all this knowledge (which, I believe pretty much everything he said was already said before by other scientists - watch NOVA's "Fabric of the Cosmos" and tell me it's not a possibility). They wheel him up to the front of a room or on a stage and "poof" - all this knowledge comes spewing out of the guy via a voice transmitter. This is the honest truth, I feel it's possible that nothing he ever said actually came from him. So.... now that we trust him because he's given us all this fantastic information... now he's going to say that aliens are bad and we should be scared of him. Smells of "elite propaganda" to me.

2. Let's say I'm wrong and the information he "says" actually does come from him. It doesn't make sense. If you listen to that video he says that they'll likely have a mouth (because they have to take in food), eyes (to see), and legs (to move around). Come on! An Astrophysicist doesn't have an open enough mind to consider that these things might not be necessary to a being from another planet? Another galaxy? Perhaps IF he is saying these things, it's because the world elite has bullied him into it in some way by threatening him or his family/friends.

Him saying God doesn't exist is also strange to me. The whole thing just "feels" wrong. I'm going with my gut and I'm saying Bull#
edit on 11-12-2011 by angellicview because: misspelling

edit on 11-12-2011 by angellicview because: another misspelling

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Aliens would not want our planet we used most our resources already number one number two they would have to fight for it which would cost them. Then number three there are resources all over in space why bother with us come on people get real. I think some people think to much or just want bad things to happen. Have a beer and live it up.Peace out..
edit on 11-12-2011 by joecool9887 because: forgot a word on

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join