It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis....possibly???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hi guys, I have had a look and cant see that this has been raised but I was reading the BBC web site and they had a new map of Anrtarctica (under the ice) www.bbc.co.uk... and I was struck by the circular feature at middle left, 11 O'clock.

Now I am no expert but Plato described a circular canal/river system surrounding the city with a canal/river leading out to the sea. There is definately a river bed heading to the sea.

I am sure someone else has already spotted it but just thought I would point it out for those who haven't.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by glennellis23

welcome! i dont know if the actual atlantis will ever be identified, but the atlantic is riddled with "lost" cities.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Good idea, but i'd have to disagree, i always thought Atlantis was Crete while it was run by the Minoans.
en.wikipedia.org...

They had some pretty advanced stuff at the time and got wiped out by a natural disaster.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Cheers for the feedback. As I say I was just posting this because it seemed quite strange to me.

I've heard the Crete stuff as well and, for me, it doesn't wash if one believes the origins of the story. Minoans were very advanced for an Hellenic civilisation but that was it.

The story of Atlantis came from Egypt (supposedly) and although the Minoans were pretty advanced, the Gyppos had already put the pyramids up. I don't think Knossos would have had them agog.

Personally I am more inclined to agree with the sunken Indian cities (a la Graham Handcock) but this picture really did raise the old eyebrow when I saw it.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by glennellis23

Well it is kinda circular and if that area hadn't been under ice for hundreds of thousands of years it might be a great idea. If I remember correctely the Bentley series of ice core drills were made to the south of that circular location. I believe they went down 2/3 of the way and got a date of 160,000 years...but I'm doing this from memory.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So far I have come to the temporary conclusion that atlantis can not be located in one place only. I feel that although it would have had a central capital that governed that race. It also had plenty of replicas in other words, cloned cities that worked on the same principles. These could be seen as outposts in locations that they were determined to dominate. There is a lot of evidence that points towards this theory and at the same time other civilizations would have copied certain aspect that they found beneficial. Its hard to picture in our minds as we are looking at a new world, in the old one we may find that what is highlands now used to be ancient ports. What are ports now may have been mountains. The idea that land can raise up is still hard for us to believe. I have been to an area where I felt it was a port, immaculate in many ways. but now its a cracked and dried mountain of no interest to humans. If we are to find the real past we need to imagine out of the current world.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You have to remember that the only evidence about the existence of Atlantis comes from a single book, Critias by Plato - one that he never completed. It doesn't mention advanced tech, it doesn't mention exactly where is was (please remember that the Pillars of Heracles moved every time the Greek world expanded its geographical understanding) and it claims that Athens was the lead city in the coalition that destroyed it. Sounds awfully like Troy to me, but then until someone invents a time machine and goes back to ask Solon (Plato's grandfather and the supposed origin of the tale) about it, we'll never know.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryCymraeg
You have to remember that the only evidence about the existence of Atlantis comes from a single book, Critias by Plato - one that he never completed. It doesn't mention advanced tech, it doesn't mention exactly where is was (please remember that the Pillars of Heracles moved every time the Greek world expanded its geographical understanding) and it claims that Athens was the lead city in the coalition that destroyed it. Sounds awfully like Troy to me, but then until someone invents a time machine and goes back to ask Solon (Plato's grandfather and the supposed origin of the tale) about it, we'll never know.

I'd agree with all that you said except to question that at the time of writing C & T Plato would have considered the Pillars to have been Gibraltar - but that is a minor point.

I have found that about 80% of the people who believe in Atlantis have never read C & T and perhaps 1% have read it fully - not just quotes on websites or in fringe books.

top topics

join