It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GODLIKE: Mammoth to be ‘resurrected’ soon. Neanderthals could follow.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There is a group of environmentalist that want to set up a large game preserve if they can resurrect mammoths.

They are talking about a couple million acres of land after they force all the people out.
They are even talking no native Americans because they were the ones that killed the mammoths off the last time.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-12-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
These species died off for a reason. They ought to stay that way. They wouldn't be able to survive outside a lab or zoo.

There is persuasive evidence that Man killed off the mammoths more than any other factor. Mega fauna survives and thrives till mankind shows up in their habitat. Coincidence? I think not. We would be making up for the mistakes our ancestors by restoring the species back to life. To the contrary, I am pretty sure wooly mammoths would be able to fend off any predator and survive in large areas of Canada, Alaska and Siberia. There were various forms of mammoths all over the globe. It's not like some other species where their natural habitat has vanished or been occupied by humans. Their biggest threat to survival would once again be mankind, this time from poachers.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Wouldn't a modern human egg be required to do the cloning of a Neandrathal?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
These species died off for a reason. They ought to stay that way. They wouldn't be able to survive outside a lab or zoo.

There is persuasive evidence that Man killed off the mammoths more than any other factor. Mega fauna survives and thrives till mankind shows up in their habitat. Coincidence? I think not. We would be making up for the mistakes our ancestors by restoring the species back to life. To the contrary, I am pretty sure wooly mammoths would be able to fend off any predator and survive in large areas of Canada, Alaska and Siberia. There were various forms of mammoths all over the globe. It's not like some other species where their natural habitat has vanished or been occupied by humans. Their biggest threat to survival would once again be mankind, this time from poachers.

LoL our mistakes?

If they were made extinct by man it was for SURVIVAL.........i wouldnt call that mankinds mistakes lol......

And mega Fauna and flora were around before and made extinct.......remember that huge rock that crashed into the earth?

Life goes in cycles.........yes MODERN man has caused issues.........and i can see maybe correcting some of those mistakes.....

But trying to bring back things that have long been extinct because of simple darwanism of the time is a bit overboard I think..........

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Having read the article, the question is valid: Should it be done.
While cloning of a living animal can be an achievement unto its own self, there has to be a point where it must not go past. Some animals no longer exist on this planet due to the change in the climate or even that its natural habitat no longer exists. So little is known about the mammoth, or mastodon, or any other extinct species, that caution must be exercised.

So much is not known, that it can be a dangerous proposition. We know nothing of its life cycle, or is social movements. If mammoths are like elephants of today, they are social creatures, and what life would it have, from the day of creation of it? And who will bear the responsibility for such, and its care. We know so little of this creature, and then there is the problem of day to day.

There is a set time frame for some species, and many were at the end of their line when modern man came into being. Others like the Neanderthals, that too leads to a whole new question as to what would be the end result if they were to clone such? After all, thousands of years separate 2 species and would it ultimately spell out the doom for the earth if suddenly thousands of extinct species were brought back to life, from science, and what kind of life would they have?

Just cause we can do something, does not mean we should and in this case, bringing back a species that has been extinct, and probably would not have survived in the modern era is a cruel thing to do. The time for the mammoths and the Neanderthals has passed, and perhaps we should let them lie in peace, rather than bring them into an existence where they could not survive.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Did you ever think people that the "LAND OF THE GIANTS" 1960's Tv Series that we used to watch could actually be based upon FACT!?

NOT ONLY THAT BUT... ~ (I'm still in shock over a decade later since reading the below and discovering that "I" am - neotech1neothink) "WE" are ONE OF THE "GIANTS" FOR "REAL"!).

1800's Archeological find in Britain -
Reference: Dr. Robert Neal Boyd

Tools of the Wee People
Towards the end of the 19th century hundreds of extraordinary flint tools were unearthed beneath the moorland peat of east Lancashire's Pennine Hills. By their miniature size, they seemed not to belong in the province of man, but rather in the realm of Gnomes, Elves and Faeries. None of the tools found - scrapers, borers, and tiny crescent-shaped knives was longer than half an inch indeed many were smaller than a quarter of an inch. The flaking by which they were shaped and brought to a sharp edge was so fine that, in many cases it could only be appreciated through magifying glasses. That the flints were not "bird points" - used for bird hunting - seems evident from the fact that nothing resembling an arrow head was found among them.

And while the scrapers and borers may have been conceivably been fitted with wooden handles (being far to small to be used by human hands), two observations suggest that this was not the case. no bored or engraved material were found in conjunction with the flints; and even with handles the scrapers would have been hopelessly impractical for the task of scraping animal flesh from its bones. The same observation applies to the crescent shaped knives, which were, in any case, clearly not designed to have handles or to be placed in wooden holders.

With that in mind, some have guessed that the knives were ritual replicas of the crescent moon. But why, in that case, they should have been found alongside small versions of conventional tools is a mystery, unless those also are supposed to have had ritual purpose. (To label ancient objects of unknown purpose as "ritual instruments" is, of course, a remedy commonly applied by puzzled archeologists.) If the Lancashire finds had been unique they would have probably been forgotten. But other examples of tools, apparently fashioned by and for small hands, or miniature people were discovered in England, beneath the floor of the drowned forest in Devon and in the sandy heathland of Suffolk.

However, England is not unique in these kinds of finds. More have been unearthed in Egypt, Africa, Australia, France, and Sicily, for example, and in India, where small crescent shaped knives of flint and agate were found in caves in the Vindhya hills. Whoever the makers of these pygmy flints were, and whatever their purpose, they seemed to have been an established class of artisans and to have plied their delicate craft from one end of the world to the other. An interesting note, many of the Celtic folklore tales describe that when the Celts originally came to England, Ireland and Scotland, they encountered a race of "wee" people, very small in stature. As legend goes the Celts promptly killed the wee people who had to flee underground. People in that region believed that the wee people would come to the surface periodically to steal human babies.

www.subversiveelement.com...

Perhaps they/we will also resurrect the LITTLE PEOPLE!

FI-FI-FO-FUM

edit on 5-12-2011 by neotech1neothink because: mistakenly clicked finish before i'd finished

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Seems reckless to me.

On the contrary, it may be the last hope for many currently extinction-bound species.

The people who habitually greet new technological advances with fear should keep in mind that science has been around for five hundred years and hasn’t killed humanity off yet. On the contrary, it has promoted vast increases in human numbers.

Its one thing to help protect / resurrect animals whose extinction was caused by man. Its something else entirely to resurrect animals / cromanon man.

World wars.... guns....rockets....nuclear weapons....

We always assumed it would be Col. Mustard, on the Earth with the army.

Instead we get Dr. Evil, on the Earth with extinct animals.

I like the idea of science looking into the past and wanting to bring some species back. However if ground rules aren't set we could potentially bring back and animal whose extinction was for good reason.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What of the moral responsibility here? For both the Mammoths and The Neanderthal, the world has changed considerably since they last trod upon it. The evolution of bacteria and various viruses could make their lives quite short except in the most sterile and isolated lab environments. Think of the devastation common European illnesses has on the Native American tribes as they made contact an co-mingled with one another.

While testing the limits of our scientific research is fine, subjecting the test subjects to what would be absolute horrors is not. Especially with a protohuman. Then again, they could do exceptionally well in today's world yet homo sapiens wouldn't fair too well. Think of something along the lines of life imitating art, Planet of the Apes style, as we could be simply replaced this time around.

There is evidence that Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens did coexist in places. I always wondered if rather than wiping them out via warfare, if we didn't interbreed and absorbed them into the collective gene pool.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
If we have the ability to bring back extinct species that were less intelligent than surely we could design a virus to awaken some of thise dormant dna genes we have to make us more intelligent.

think about it for a second....if everyone was more intelligent we wouldnt need to fight wars or physical fights, we would discuss and resolve our problems intelligently....(in an ideal fantasy world).

but seriously....coudltn we make humans smarter...surely that has to be for the better...maybe we are all collectively just too dumb at the moment to progress naturally.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

On the contrary, it has promoted vast increases in human numbers.

As well as the poverty and misery that comes with 7 billion humans. Thanks, Science

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Does anyone remember seeing "Jurrasic Park"? That idea didn't turn out all that hot for them.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This can't be good.
Am I the only one here who watched Jurassic Park?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I don't really see the point. What for. So they can be zoo curiosities? That just seems wrong.

We're busy merrily eradicating many species that are currently alive so it seems a bit pointless bringing an ancient one back from the dead.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
They have had the ability and the materials for many years, and I personally think it ridiculous to believe they have not already secretly done this.
None of this would be a bad thing if people and their egos were not involved. Their lack of compassion.

Did any of you see the History channel Ancient Aliens series where they showed the scientists with the dog they cut in half while alive and connected to the back of another dog both lived...in order to make a two headed animal like in legends.

All I saw was two beautiful innocent animals looking at the humans there with pain and sadness as if to ask what is happening to me. (one an intelligent German Shepard whose kind regularly serve and rescue humans and save lives in wars)

The scientists toasted with Champhin and laughed out loud at their success while the eyes of the condemened and tortured followed their every move.

Is this how we behave GOD LIKE?

P.S. I also find it ridiculousness funny that most people do not think scientists have already created hybrid men mixed with every conceivable animal and insect gene. They do not have the patience to wait for laws to say go and there are many many places on earth where they can freely play god!

edit on 5-12-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

...keep in mind that science has been around for five hundred years and hasn’t killed humanity off yet...

500 Years huh? I guess before that it was called "Magic"

Cool post OP, thanks for sharing. I personally hope they do it, just because I'm a sci-fi geek, and this kind of thing is right up my alley of curiosity.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Haha neanderthals could follow.

Imagine that, let it grow up and learn. Then tell it we wiped their species out. Well, sort of.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
DP
edit on 5-12-2011 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Curious what role neanderthals would have in this day and age. I could see the company that provides janitoral service at my work hiring them.
edit on 5-12-2011 by LuckyStrike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm all for science, but just because we can do something does not mean we should go ahead and do it. The only purpose in resurrecting these creatures would be motivated by profit, similar to what you see happening with the giant panda. They have been reduced to nothing more than a commodity and used to to generate wealth.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LuckyStrike
Curious what role neanderthals would have in this day and age. I could see the company that provides janitoral service at my work hiring them.
edit on 5-12-2011 by LuckyStrike because: (no reason given)

Its so easy a caveman can do it....

comes to mind...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join