It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a nurse anything.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
BTW yes I registered at ATS just to ask this question; long time lurker but it was an opportunity I just couldn't miss. That's how much I appreciate this thread

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OceanGeek

Well, I feel special that I was able to pull you out of lurkerdom. Come join the conversations!

I am in Texas. This is pneumonia, and broken hip season. I work mostly with adults in my current unit. There has been a moderate increase in our overall census this year Vs. last year at the same time, but nothing new, or specific, or at least noticeable. Some years we are slow from about Thanksgiving to New Years. Some Years we are insane at the same times. This year it's just kinda in the middle.

I don't think the full impact of the Fukushima disaster will be understood, or quantifiable for years. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary though.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hi,

First off I'd like to say this is a great discussion so far, it's good to hear from nurses and other personnel on these matters, because usually all you hear about hospitals is people complaining after they were a patient at one lol. Also I'd like to say thanks about giving janitors and other hospital personnel a shout out because I used to be a custodian (then a maintenance person) at a county hospital and us custodians, maintenance workers, and nurses always hung out and were friendly, and had each others backs.

Anywho, I wanted to ask about some strange feelings I get in my chest and sometimes almost to my throat. It's a weird 'fluttery' feeling I get. That's the only way I can describe it. The first time this happened it scared the # out of me and I couldn't get back to sleep that night. I did a lot of research online and a lot of people talked about heart palpitations, but for different reasons. Some people were suggesting taking B12 supplements. Well, I have had this on and off (sometimes it won't happen for a couple days at a time) for almost 2 years now, I started taking multivitamins everyday and it seems to help.

I know you are going to call me an idiot for not getting it checked out, but I can barely afford buying food for myself at this point in my life, let alone owing a hospital thousands, last time I went to the hospital was for my appendix, had an MRI done and they said it was inflamed, but had started to go back down, so they didn't take it out, and I got charged over 3,000 dollars for that and JUST got it paid off after 4 years.

Either way thanks for all your great answers and stories

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I have allergies and since I was a kid have had problems where I would have issues breathing from these allergies to the point I have to collapse and sit and you can hear wheezing in my chest. I beleive it is Asthma, however all doctors I have seen refuse to diagnose it as Asthma, is there a reason for this?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I'm glad to hear nothing seems too unusual where you are. (Maybe the drought was really a blessing in disguise.) I hope it stays that way

edit on 21-12-2011 by OceanGeek because: grammar

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nursejr
Just a quick comment for the night regarding the No Pay story. Not to sound cruel or mean. But would you offer your house to somebody when you know they couldn't pay the rent? I mean, isn't housing a right? How often do you give food to someone who has no money? And if you do, how long would you do it? I mean, isn't food and shelter basic human rights?

All I ask is to put yourself into the insurance/hospital's shoes for a while.

John

Would you charge me $1,000 dollars a night just to sleep in a bed in your house? Well, hospitals would. That does not include, care, medicine, tests etc.....

All I ask is that the hospitals and insurance companies put them selves in OUR shoes for a while, rather than in our wallets.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My Mother had a stroke, and was recovering nicely until She was given a Drug called Mirapex for Her restless legs. All of the sudden She could no longer walk, barely talk, almost drunk like. I have to beg them to stop giving Her Mirapex, and when they did stop, She recovered a little, but never walked again. Tests showed no further stroke. Do You think it was the drug that caused her recovery to go astray?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

I'm married to an RN....

just a word of advice for a male looking to hook up with one...dont

I dont know if it their environment they work in or what....but most have what I call the quasi-god complex...where a MD would have the full god complex

....Tropic Thunder..."never go full retard"..its like that

Now you would think that a nurse would be loving, compassionate etc., but not so much...most of these "girls" and I use that term loosly (pun intended) are truly the creme of the crop of BS

A nurse doesnt really determine anything, prescribe anything etc, so unless your a nurse practitioner lets just set the record straight...nurses triage and push drugs the doc prescribes and charts

Usually they look down on all who are not a RN or above, almost in a weird feminine militaristic sense, much like officers dont mingle with enlisted sort of thing

So, my advice..just find a good doc and listen to them

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by paearmor

Well I disagree. Just my two cents worth since i'm just a student but:

Nurses spend a great deal more time with the patient, are taught the same anatomy, physiology and pathology as a doctor, the same labs and diagnosing procedures,the same goes with meds. One of my clinic instructors is "just an RN" but I would put her up to a game of medical jeopardy against any doctor any day. She can answer any question you have about just about ANY medical condition and give you a straightforward, no need to think about it answer. Maybe I am unlucky with doctors but most of the one's I've had were morons. Nurses have to be knowledgeable enough to stop doctor's mistakes. I don't know how you arrive at what you stated but maybe you need marriage counseling. Don't take anything away from nurses, they are the heros of this world!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I have 4 sisters that are Nurses, so I am qualified in agreeing 75% with Your negative view of Nurses. One Year, just before xmas, I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, 1 of Them worked at the Hospital I was in and got My medical reports and passed them out to the others, They would vandalise My House, take frivolous legal action against Me, harass my Wife and kids, anything to cause stress, which is the exact thing My Doctor told Me to avoid. But one of My Nurse Sisters was absolutely fantastic, That's why I only agree 75%

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jondave

Your saying a nurse made copys of your confidential medical file and gave them to other people that were not treating you? Then in turn they vandalized your house? I hope you sued them because that is a blatent violation of your rights as a patient and HIPAA. What was thier motivation to do that stuff to you?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Binder

There is no doubt in my mind that nurses with advanced degree's do in fact have knowledge that would rival a P.A. or an actual doctor.

But be careful. OP, you are not an accredited doctor by any means. You may have seen and heard things that make you quiver and make you question the ethics of a Doctor.

You are not a PHD. Get your degree first and then come back and tell us your story. Your story will instill more confidence with the aforementioned.

There is nothing worse than less accredited individuals giving us medical information. Follow your doctors orders. That is how it is in your business.

If you disagree with your Doctor supervisors....file a grievance. No doubt you are intelligent. Get your degree first and then tell us your story.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

The motivation stemmed from inheritance issues after the death of our Father. He left all his kids equal shares in a company that both Me, and My Mother still worked at. The hating Sisters took share buy-outs at appraised value, however They felt should have received more. I wasn't exactly soft spoken in those days, so I told them what I thought of them when they wined at Me. It got bitter, My Mother was in charge of the company, anyone harassed My recently widowed Mom, and I would tell them off big time. I know they vandalised my house, but cant prove it. One is suing Me over Her buyout, that I was not even involved with. Its like they are demon possessed, except for 1, who is like an angel.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
reply to post by Binder

There is no doubt in my mind that nurses with advanced degree's do in fact have knowledge that would rival a P.A. or an actual doctor.

But be careful. OP, you are not an accredited doctor by any means. You may have seen and heard things that make you quiver and make you question the ethics of a Doctor.

You are not a PHD. Get your degree first and then come back and tell us your story. Your story will instill more confidence with the aforementioned.

There is nothing worse than less accredited individuals giving us medical information. Follow your doctors orders. That is how it is in your business.

If you disagree with your Doctor supervisors....file a grievance. No doubt you are intelligent. Get your degree first and then tell us your story.

Not exactly sure where this angst is coming from, but it is missplaced. First off I did mention in the OP that I had other letters behind my name, and by the way a P.A. is an advanced degree nurse. I also added a disclaimer that I was not diagnosing, or recommending treatment in any form. This is for sharing of opinion, and entertainment only. That was made very clear from the beginning. Don't presume to lecture me on the scope of nursing practice.

Secondly, to assume the initials MD after your name means you are suddenly smarter, and more informed is just not true. You are legally more accountable, and certified by a legislating body to do more, but it doesn't affect your brain cells at all. A large part of my job is saving your life when that all knowing doctor writes an inappropriate order that would kill you. So we have to be just as intelligent as they are to catch a mistake when made.

Finally to basically say nurses should "shut up" til we get an MD behind our names is just offensive. I have as much right to share my opinions, and experiences as anyone else does. If you do not wish to hear a nurses view, and opinions you have the choice to simply not participate. If your position held any merit then hospitals, insurance agencies, and home health companies would not have 24 hour nurse hotlines to put you in touch with a nurse for advice.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

I used to get the same thing. It drove me nuts!!! I used to get a wierd "flutter" under my ribcage, sometimes left side, sometimes right side. I asked my doc what it was, and after some probative questions he said it was probably minute localized electrolyte imbalances in the costal muscles. Costal muscle is postural muscle which is a little different than the large muscle groups like the biceps, and triceps etc... it is more susceptible to small imbalances. He told me to eat better, lose 40lbs, exercise, and drink plenty of water. I didn't like his advice at all. After I did it though I have not had another episode since.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Sounds like you need to find a good pulmonologist. What you are describing sounds like an allergic reaction. A full blown emergency case of it is called anaphylaxis, and it can be lethal. There is usually an environmental trigger to these episodes, and you need to find out what it is. A food, drug, something in the air.... You need to find out what it is. Asthma can be triggered by allergens, but not everyone with alleries has asthma. Regardless of the nomenclature you need to breathe, and find out what is cause your airway to become inflammed.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jondave

It is possible, but there isn't anyway to know for sure without going over all the little details of the whole ordeal. If you think it was, you should seek legal counsel with an attorney that has experience trying medical cases.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I'm married to an RN too, sorry if that isn't working out so well for you. Mine seems to work fine!

Nurses are like any other professional. We come from all backgrounds, and classes, and the job changes us. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes not. Some nurses are indeed mean, spiteful, and all those other not-so-attractive qualities. Others a smothering, co-dependent neuropaths. Some are just nice people that want to make a difference, but still won't brook any BS.

We see sad, unfair, bad stuff all the time. So yeah, we get a bit jaded. Your boss cheating you out of your lunch break might not register as important at all when we have a dying 4 year old on our mind. It doesn't mean the insensitivity doesn't hurt our partners, or that it shouldn't be discussed, and maybe some counselling sought. It just means we get caloused dealing with what no one else want to deal with. Most nurses probably do need to go see the shrink a bit more often. Most medical employers have that coverage for that very reason, but few medical personnel take advantage of it.

Don't judge us all by the bad apples. And, don't judge a nurse on a bad day. When we have a bad day it is usually something that would send the uninitiated to the looney bin straight off. I work with an ex-combat marine, and he says all the time that he misses Saigon Harbor on a bad day.
edit on 22-12-2011 by Binder because: 4am fingers not working so good.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Actually by most hospital accounting schedules the nurses pay comes from the room rent so to speak. So if you were spending the night at my house, and it was filled with a $30K cardiac monitor, $10K IV pumps, a $20K EKG machine, a $50K Pyxis medication dispenser, a $40K ventilator, a $120K Intra aortic balloon pump, a $15MM lab, a $80K specialty bed so your butt wouldn't get sore from being bed ridden, a $800K MRI in the basement, a couple million dollars in other various sundries, and supplies, and a 24 hour around the clock staff with decades of cumulative training, and expertise to use all that equipment to keep you alive. I would charge you about $18K to spend one night at my house. You can't think of it like renting a room, it's a whole different animal. Apples, and oranges.

Even without the expense of fraud, and greed which is undeniably in the system. Modern health care is crazy expensive. As miracle Max would say, "Miracles don't come cheap." That's what people want, and that's what modern medicine delivers, but it ain't cheap. We are surviving for decades after things that would have just killed us outright 20 years ago. Modern medical equipment is crazy sophisticated, and crazy expensive, but it delivers. Unfortunately we have come to the point that we do because we can, and forget to ask ourselves if we should. that is where the wasted money comes in. We try to "miracle" people who shouldn't be "miracled."

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

Well that's a relief, I was worried it had something to do with my heart lol But I am trying to eat better with what little money I have to buy food with, and I'm still taking the multivitamins. Thanks

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join