It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

App installed on millions of phones secretly records all activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Well if this true there will be hell to pay! and of course a few red faces. “Every button you press in the dialer before you call,” Eckhard says on the video, “it already gets sent off to the IQ application.”

I'm not sure what to make of this? Maybe some of our more Tech Savvy members can give us the low down on this please...

App installed on millions of phones secretly records all activity

A developer says he has discovered a secret piece of software, which comes installed on all Android, BlackBerry and Nokia handsets, that records all activity performed on the device -- and he has the video to back it up.

Mobile users, beware: you’re being watched — constantly. An Android developer claims to have discovered an app that comes pre-installed on millions of Android, BlackBerry and Nokia handsets, that records all activity on the device. That includes calls, location, and every key pressed on the device.

The app, created by California-based software company Carrier IQ, is shown in a video posted to YouTube (see below) by developer Trevor Eckhard logging every key he pressed, in real time. The software even recorded Eckhard’s geographic location, when connected to Google via Wi-Fi — not 3G — even though he denied permission for Google to track his whereabouts. Calls aren’t safe, either.

la2

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I knew about the iphone recording the phones exact location on gps, but this was an eye opener, thanks

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Ahh the joys of modern technology! Still most people won't care since they are addicted to their toys. I get by with a trac phone and even with those the numbers get released!! I almost died the first time I got a telemarketing call on the stupid thing. So no, I am not surprised by this. I am more surprised at how people get excited over the stupid little things [phones].

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Thats why i formatted mine and removed the carriers OS as soon as i got it
Also why i keep gps off on anything google tries to get me to do.

But there are some apps on android that shouldn't have anything to do with a certain function, but require that function, like, your call status, and such

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Is the app called Carrier IQ or is that just the company name? thanks for the heads up on this.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You got scooped by 4 hours on this story Slayer.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted to the other thread but I will say this here, too. That smart phone is not a phone. It is a mobile computing platform.. this technology may be abused like all technology can be abused... but you don't really want to go back to this do you?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]Yet another reason not to have a smart phone...

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

S&F

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We heard about it all along, and now it's here.

You can tell that mysterious things happen with your phone the longer you get to know it.

Here is a post that might help a little though:

blog.artesea.co.uk...

Whisper Monitor will let you know who is tracking you so you can shut it off, pretty cool.
www.technologyreview.com...
edit on 30-11-2011 by samlf3rd because: misspelling

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter

OK MODS let's shut err down.
That's it!

We are calling it wrap.
Night all

I need drink

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Seeming as this thread is going to get deleted..

Just use a duck phone, they get great reception

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter

I posted to the other thread but I will say this here, too. That smart phone is not a phone. It is a mobile computing platform.. this technology may be abused like all technology can be abused... but you don't really want to go back to this do you?

yes, i do.

whats so bad about that?

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
It is rather scary, but Bush did it o we could fight terrorism.

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
All of these"App tracks you" are seriously funny.
If your phone is gps capable,.....well figure it out folks.
Even if you have your gps turned off, the pics you update your profile with that say, "here I am drunk @ TGI Fridays"!
Well they would know, dontchathink?
We all want folks to know how good our life is compared to others lives so we have FB pages and show all of our BFF's.
All of this info, you are tracking yourself.
Yep you done screwed up when you got rid of your analog bag phone.

The consequenses will never be the same!!

(Edit)

reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Why do I feel as if your eevool ducky is tracking me??

edit on 30-11-2011 by g146541 because: evil evil duckeh

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

thats why i have a simple phone , for a simple person

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Already Posted.

Closed.

top topics

join