It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damp in my flat, I need you're help please

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Most of your ideas sound good. But slightly risky with an 11 month old child around. However, I read that you shouldn't use bleach. Maybe that was just for black mould. Clove oil and t-tree oil in cheap white vinegar. Also pour bicarbonate of soda over the areas bicarb and put a few drops of essential oils on there. Again though, care needs to be taken that a baby or pet doesn't get to touch it.

noobUK

Hi again OP. I am a Clinical Aromatherapist, I always use cheap, natural cleaning by mainly using Bicarb, white vinegar, salt, essential oils. Asian wholesalers usually sell bulk bicarb, and white vinegar.

A 5L of white vinegar costs me £2.50 and a 5kilo tub Bicarb is £9.50....Just as well, I use lots of it. Better than breathing in the fumes from toxic chemical spray bleaches, and naturally removes odours.

A spray bottle with water, essential oils and small amount of vinegar, shake before each use. Cleans the air, better and far more pleasant than that horid synthetic air freshners. Any q's just U2U me.

So glad to hear that you are getting together with your neighbors to fight this. You and your families health is of utmost importance. I hope you get somewhere nice to live with your baby. Let us know how you get on.

edit on 24-11-2011 by maya27 because: Hit wrong key.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
set up a account and put the rent in that.
find out as much as you can.
use big words. get a lawer.
see what ever one around you has to say.
find out who did live there. speak with them.
you May find some Very good infomation.
like he may have leagle action against him all ready.

winter is coming.
your health and the famlis is in danger.
it could kill your chiled!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Maybe you can use detergent to clean it up... or if it doesn't work how about seeking those professionals that are able to deal with mold problems... Hope this help

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by maya27

Some great and cheap alternatives given there. I suggested bleach as that is what I was told and I used it - However maya27' options sound a lot more appealing and less harmful to your baby.

Let us know how you get on

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Killz paint covers mold and pit bull blood, in my experience, but if I were you, I would get out as quickly as possible.
Black mold can cause serious breathing problems. Some speculate that the mold in Marlon Brando's house contributed to his death.
(Well, it just doesn't cover pit bull blood, it covers other blood as well, but I didn't want to raise eyebrows by just saying blood.)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by maya27
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

Most of your ideas sound good. But slightly risky with an 11 month old child around. However, I read that you shouldn't use bleach. Maybe that was just for black mould. Clove oil and t-tree oil in cheap white vinegar. Also pour bicarbonate of soda over the areas bicarb and put a few drops of essential oils on there. Again though, care needs to be taken that a baby or pet doesn't get to touch it.

noobUK

Hi again OP. I am a Clinical Aromatherapist, I always use cheap, natural cleaning by mainly using Bicarb, white vinegar, salt, essential oils. Asian wholesalers usually sell bulk bicarb, and white vinegar.

A 5L of white vinegar costs me £2.50 and a 5kilo tub Bicarb is £9.50....Just as well, I use lots of it. Better than breathing in the fumes from toxic chemical spray bleaches, and naturally removes odours.

A spray bottle with water, essential oils and small amount of vinegar, shake before each use. Cleans the air, better and far more pleasant than that horid synthetic air freshners. Any q's just U2U me.

So glad to hear that you are getting together with your neighbors to fight this. You and your families health is of utmost importance. I hope you get somewhere nice to live with your baby. Let us know how you get on.

edit on 24-11-2011 by maya27 because: Hit wrong key.

Im off to go buy some bicarb now, thanks for this lady x

Also have a viewing of a house today, i think im going to have to take a loan out for the sake of my daughter. I cant afford it, but it has to be done. For now though, i'll stock up on these said products and get rid of this mold until i move.

Thanks allot guys means allot to me x

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Suggestion

Take photos. The more mold the better.
Have any of your neighbors with the same issues also take photos.
Bombard your local newspaper with emails with the photos attached.
If you like, set up a single account, and send all photos in groups.

Take pics of children that live in these conditions...You can blur out the faces if you like.
If there are any investigative reporters left in your area.. They will jump on it like mildew on a shower tile.
Call the newspaper too. Give them an interview.

Possible headline..
Have yourself a Moldy little Christmas.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
Had the same problem, I great quick fix is a quick scrub with bleach then mix PVA glue (the kids cheap stuff) with water and then 'paint' it over the areas.

I did this and it held of for quite a bit. I know its not always possible to move straight away and this should solve it for under a fiver.

Good luck

(Just to add, bit obvious but dont do this on the carpets
- if you can borrow a dehumidifier that will help a little too).
edit on 24/11/2011 by LestatG because: (no reason given)

This is good advice. You can also find paint with anti fungal stuff in it. It's pricey and smells awful when you daub it on, but if you follow the above advice and then stick the paint on over its loads better.

Sounds like you shouldn't be there in the first place though, Its such a health hazard. Unfortunately because of the massive lack of affordable housing, unscrupulous landlords are taking advantage of desperate people and risking their lives from greed.
Luckily in Britain we have at least some help and if such hazards to health and wellbeing are present. We do have the right to privately get the jobs undertaken by professionals who then just bill the landlord. However if you are in the position of living in a private landlord accommodation as opposed to social housing, you're libel to get thrown out by a very pissed off homeowner who cares more about the hole in his pocket than you and your families health.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Yes. I think you would be best not feeding the mould with bleach, apparently it feeds it.

HYDROGEN PEROXIDE SOLUTION 6% BP from your local chemist. I have BELLS Health Care brand, 200MLS £1.01p Read instructions (or ask me) for proper dilutions depending on the use. Never use undiluted on skin

The stuff you get at the chemist for mild skin disinfectant and can be used to rinse mouth clean teeth.
(NOT the stuff they use for hair dyes).

Hydrogen Peroxide is so cheap and will not only kill the mold, but is safe to use on plastic food containers etc too. You can even steep your fruit and veg in a diluted solution of it. Good for cuts and grazes too. And some in your bath.

www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com...

www.earthclinic.com...

www.google.com...

The Paint/Pvc Idea is a good one, I would add Anti fungal Essential oils to the preparation before painting it on. Go to a reputable supplier for good quality essential oils. And remember that they are strong concentrated compounds. Always dilute appropriately.

Will look for more links on Clove, T-Tree, Euclayptus, Thyme et.c..
Got to get back to making my Aromatherapy Bath Bombs and Soaps. Customer needs the order by Saturday.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

without seeing the property it is not possible to give any advice to cure the problem .
i would suggest contacting the health department for your area and let them inspect your flat
they will have more power to force the landlord to act .

condensation is a big cause of mould in properties , check that you have adequate ventilation .
also the type of heating that you have can cause damp , calor or propane heaters generate quite a lot of condesation.

i hope this has been helpful and that you get peace of mind soon .

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
All the information has been brilliant. Today & yesterday iv made more progress than the last 3week due to people on this website.

This mold pops up in random places on the floor, green and furry, its internal problems, the problem is nothing to do with how i, my self, maintain this house.

Through research iv come to find out that these properties were bought off a estate agent called White Gates in 2006, they were bought very cheap, the whole estate in fact.

The landlord/estate agent does have the responsibility to keep the up keep of these houses, including the treatment of mold. But, these houses we're built on boggy land, the whole area was - even Elland road, the Leeds united football stadium. Iv come to find out that these houses/flats, and all of the estate are missing some sort of link from underneath the house, to seal the Damp sealer. This is not my estate agents fault, and nothing can be done about it other than to rip the houses down (so iv been told) The actual responsibility of the implementation of the Damp sealer was down to Leeds City Council, so we have to get in touch with them.

But me and my fiance have decided to withhold the rent, and instead of renting from an estate agent we are going through a private landlady, who does not need references from our previous estate agent, luckily. So we're leaving this dump as soon as my loan comes through.

Thanks everybody for you're help and tips, much love x

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Hurrah!! You took the withholding rent option. Love it.

Well done to you. You asked for help, you researched, you took the decision, and then took action. You did the right thing. I am happy for you and your family, may you all have a happy damp and mold free home!

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
That mould is dangerous stuff. I think the op should get to the citizen's advice bureau or a lawyer fast. I wouldn't be surprised if you're able to hole up in a hotel while this problem is sorted out and your landlord will HAVE TO PAY THE BILL.

What about your baby's health visitor too? And environmental health? Get them all around, tell them it's an emergency. Keep a copy of every letter and note the time and date of every call you make too. People can die from mouldy houses and if it's on your furniture and photos then it's very fast growing.

I hate to say this but I'll bet the Daily Mail would get some action for you if you emailed them your photos and told them your neighbours' stories as well as your own.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Glag you are getting out of there. I think you have had really good response from some really nice ATS members.

Keep us posted on how it all goes.

And thank you for the thoughtful comment in my profile. Maya27. X

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join