It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damp in my flat, I need you're help please

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

My suggestion is to borrow some money....and move....even if you have to live in one room...for a while. I think it certainly would be better to live in one, warm well constructed healthy room....than the environment you are in now.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
reply to post by n00bUK

Then blatently refuse to pay, they will have to go to court to get you out - no matter what the heavies say if they come around. If anyone does call the police.

By this time you should have enough to get a deposit together on another place. Fcuk em, I hate dodgy landlords.

You could try social services as there is a real risk to your child, they maight be able to put you somewhere else or even a B&B until they can.

Also local press may be an option, bad publicity leads to lost revenue and if that is the only thing that makes them tick it might move thier asses quicker. Be loud and be aggressive.

Good luck to you and your family

I agree. Also, would this situation not make it possible that a local housing association or council give them priority points for their own council house?

Meanwhile...More links on Mold.

www.ehow.com...
edit on 24-11-2011 by maya27 because: Question mark added.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I phoned up the estate agents, said i have really bad damp and extreme mold, they said we'll ring you back. . after 3/4 days of them not phoning me, i seen the builder fitting air bricks to another flat over the road, i shouted him and asked if the women at the estate agents told him to do some on my flat, he said that the women never even made him aware of my situation. He told me all the flatts on the street have it, and people are moving out. He even told me to not pay rent, save up and move out - which maybe the only thing to do, but then that messes up my chances of a reference for another house in the future. .

if you have mould in the bathroom is a tricky one because it is caused by condensation.. And the landlords are not responsible for that. But as your saying it is spread through out the house it is different.
It also depends on the terms of your tenancy.. when you moved in did you establish there was mould there? Did the estate agent say the will fix it? maybe they are bound to this agreement.

Its not as easy though if you have a landlord that doesnt want to pay.. but i urge you not to withold your rent.. This could actually go against you..

You could also send a letter to your lanlord telling him within 14 days you are going to get the work done and bill him for it.. You must have a valid quote outlining all work to be undertaken clearly..
This is a risky tactic as you may not get your money of them without dragging them through the courts..

If all else fails through communication with your landlord.. contact environmental health and explain your problem or you could even make a complaint to your local council..

You do have rights so although it might take a little effort and messing around you should get it resolved.. For now make sure you have plenty of ventilation in the rooms affected and as you say dehumidifiers are good but there bloody expensive to run..

Good luck mate.. hope it works out..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Please don't withhold your rent, that will cause more problems than it will help.

Make your complaints to the landlord in writing and send a copy to your local authority's public health department, making sure that you mention that you have a baby.

If nothing gets fixed in a reasonable time the health inspector will come out to look at your flat, but the last time I dealt with them they told me I had to give the landlord a chance to fix things before they would get involved.

When I had a problem similar to yours I moved out of the house but found out later that the house was in such a state that if I had reported it the landlord would have had to pay to re-house me, fix the problems, and allow me to move back in. Work on the house would have cost several hundreds of thousands, so my then landlord had a lucky escape.

There is a body that regulates estate agents and you could complain to them. I'll see if I can dig out their name and number.

Try this:

www.arla.co.uk...

One more thing: de-humidifiers cost a small fortune to run, even if though they're cheap to buy. Sad to say, opening the windows will help but it's hardly an attractive option in November. Good luck.

edit on 24-11-2011 by berenike because: bit more info

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

Nothing personal lestag you make some good points.. although..

Then blatently refuse to pay, they will have to go to court to get you out - no matter what the heavies say if they come around.

This is actually bad advice.. It seems the logical and common sense thing to do but if you do.. they have got you by the balls. You will go into rent arrears and It will then turn into a bitter battle with only one winner.. (the big company)

Its a BS situation OP.. but you do have rights.. you just have to take the correct course of action..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

get a solicitor - simples

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

You know guys, normally I would agree. It may well be a better long term strategy but their health is at stake here and thats what swayed me.

They expect you to play within the rules and many estate agents use this to their advantage. They are supposed to provide a service and they are breaking regulation by not addressing a serious health risk - think how the government look on property owners and landlords with carbon monoxide cases, they throw the book at them and rightly so.

I would think a magistrate would look favourably on this case. And it shouldnt go that far as by withholding payment for 2-3 months there should be enough money to move out. And then slowly pay back the debt.

I still stand by what I said, if the estate agent had adressed the problem then ok, but seeing as though the handyman said he knew nothing, then they are to blame/negligent. (another point the courts would take into consideration).

Fight it, your family deserve it and your landlord deserves what they get too.

(Starred your post as you do make a valid point and made me think more deeply on the matter and voice of calm and reason is always needed).
edit on 24/11/2011 by LestatG because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
When i spoke to the builder, he said that people have been moving out, refusing to pay and putting claims in for the damages caused. He said that i should not pay them because he knows for a fact that they never chase them up. Im starting to really think i should consider his what he said. Maybe they dont chase them up because they know they're not going win in the courts, due to them knowing they're in the wrong.

When i first moved in, i told the estate agent that i can not move into a home with mold, as im moving from one (nowhere near as bad as this) he assured me that this home was nice and will never get mold. He lied, blatantly lied not caring about a 6month old baby's health or me and my partners, now they they're ignoring my request of doing something to sort it, even though we stress about our babys health.

My hearts telling me not to pay them, save up and fight them in court, but my brain is telling me to pay them, as i will just loose to the big company, and be worse off.

am gunna upload some pics soon

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LestatG

I hear you lestatg..
I would love to say dont pay them... that is what my morals and principles would tell me to do, but you know how these things work over here.. The stress, BS and cost that will come along with this are not worth the hassle.. (plus you could get a CCJ or a bad credit rating against your name)

OP.. personally i would be taking the builders advice with a grain of salt.. I know how frustrated and upsetting this must be for you but you have got to play the game.

You do have other avenues to follow right now (which you must do first) and maybe resort to that if no action is taken.. you dont know the true repercussions to these people that have refused to pay or how it led to this point for them.. that can come back to bite you in the ass (especially in the future)
And you already mentioned you are worried about a reference.. you will definitely not get one if you dont pay them..

And as for the estate agents... T&C's wont allow me to express my full feelings about them.. for now i will just do this..

Id be interested in seeing you pics when you upload them..

edit on 24/11/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Hey, it easy for us to dish out the advice, you are the one that has to take action and live with the consequences.
I always follow my heart but that has led me to difficult times every now and then and you do have a little one.

However, if I may play the devil on your shoulder, do not pay these people another penny. They even lied to you as they moved you in. If they did know prior then you are in the clear as they gave you a place they shouldn’t have in the first place.

I personally don’t think they will have a leg to stand on, and even if they do, you and your family will be in a safe, clean place and you will owe some dodgy estate agency who may go out of business a couple of hundred quid. We know that the courts allow ordered payments to be paid weekly/monthly if the defendant cannot afford to pay immediately.

For me you have nothing to lose and a lot more to gain by not paying and using the money to find better accommodation.

Whatever you decide good luck and don’t let the bastdards grind you down!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Hey MisterLondon,
I am only Maltese through citizenship of my mother (last year), born and bred in Coventry (I know) for my first 18 years and been back to live every now and then.

I have also been in the exact same position - withheld rent for a week and said I had been to the C.A.B (bluffing) was sorted in a week. Also, whilst living in Bournemouth in student accommodation we had similar problems and leaks we didn’t pay rent for two months moved out and no consequence. (Granted we were young and our only possessions was a PlayStation and a grinder)

Well I suppose I should read posts twice, I thought you stated that I did not know how it works over there, not that I do know. Sorry about that - I suppose then its the luck of the draw or how much the estate agents want to bully/take it.
Your advice is sound and may well be the best course to take but there are many options to take in each situation.
edit on 24/11/2011 by LestatG because: Cant read my own language

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Hey MisterLondon,
I am only Maltese through citizenship of my mother (last year), born and bred in Coventry (I know) for my first 18 years and been back to live every now and then.

I have also been in the exact same position - withheld rent for a week and said I had been to the C.A.B (bluffing) was sorted in a week. Also, whilst living in Bournemouth in student accommodation we had similar problems and leaks we didn’t pay rent for two months moved out and no consequence. (Granted we were young and our only possessions was a PlayStation and a grinder)

Well I suppose I should read posts twice, I thought you stated that I did not know how it works over there, not that I do know. Sorry about that - I suppose then its the luck of the draw or how much the estate agents want to bully/take it.
Your advice is sound and may well be the best course to take but there are many options to take in each situation.
edit on 24/11/2011 by LestatG because: Cant read my own language

Ahhh.. the student life...
The only possessions you will ever need..

Your right though there is no real answer on what to do. We can only give our opinions and advice based on the information presented. I would definitely prefer to follow your advice in that position.. screw the landlords/estate agents.. they are only parasites anyway.. but is it the correct thing to do?

Anyway OP.. you have heard a few opinions now, The ball is in your court.. do what you feel is right..

I hope it all works out...

edit on 24/11/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The cupboard where i store most my stuff was soaking..Obv i used to open the cupboard to get things out, but it wanst until i noticed the mold on the floor, that i went to the middle of the pile & noticed my pictures & birthday xmas cards me and my partner have kept since we've been together, 7 years. everything was just damp, the paint off the walls we're even streaking and paint gone onto other items.

heres some pics. . I have around 50 pics, i'll just upload the ones that havent got anything personal in them

This first one, is what keeps popping up round the house all over, not just in one place, all over the floor through the carpets, random places. This is the biggest problem out of them all, the amount of spots on the floor is unreal

my first photo, when i was 2 or 3 days old. Plenty more pics destroyed.

This was right near my head, where i sleep. when i treat it, then it comes back. it goes all down, up, right, left, everywhere over the wall.

This is one jacket which was in the same cupboards as the pictures. Its damaged numerous coats, shoes in the same cupboard as the pictures which were wet.

And this last one is in my daughters room, near the door. Theres more, it goes longer but i couldnt get it in the pic. Like a warrior, it just comes back bigger like its on steroids.

Just a small example, i have plenty more pics and I'm glad that i thought fast instead of wiping it, then regretting not taking pictures. There not the worse ones, they're bad yeah but the pictures of the storage cupbord is just wrong. .

Thanks again for all the tip guys & gals
edit on 24-11-2011 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2011 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Hey n00bUK, not seeing them pics, take care

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

reply to post by n00bUK

Hey n00bUK, not seeing them pics, take care

weird, i can see them. errm

maybe try right click the image & open in new tab? x

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I can't see the pics either.

Anyhoo. Try to get the contact details of your neighbors, most may/will move soon. And plenty of pics too, everything goes towards evidence of what you are being subjected to by your sh*tty landlord..

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

All your links are broken. They are also completely invisible. Hope this helps.

edit on 24/11/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: typo

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Holy snip, that is pretty bad and such a horrible thing to happen to personal and irreplaceable photos. Do I say sod them and move - no one would expect you to be living while that is going on.
Ill post some of mine later, over here it’s because of the humidity and limestone. Had a fungus growing in one corner
Peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by maya27

A lady from over the road came round today, and asked if i had mold. . she said she had to throw he whole winter wardrobe away which came up to over £1000. her sofa is also ruined and that cost £1,200. .

We're going to get the rest of the neighbors together and make a joint claim for our stuff. Iv lost about a grands worth of stuff, and no doubt ill loose more over another month or so, i just have to keep ontop of it until im able to move out. hard times ahead i suppose!

thanks allot again guys for all you're information & support x

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Rather than tell you what to do about your landlord, let's tackle the CAUSE of the mold & mildew which is excess moisture. If you haven't much money, you can make homemade desiccants to hang in the house & absorb the dampness. There are some very cheap chemicals that are readily available at your local hardware store, such as silica gel, sodium hydroxide or calcium chloride. I myself have used the sodium hydroxide quite successfully. Take a pair of old pantyhose & cut the feet off. Pour the crystal chemicals into the stocking foot & tie off, then hang it from some twine in an inconspicuous area where children or pets cannot get at it. You must put a large empty can or pail or container of some kind underneath the desiccant as water will begin to drip in it. These worked extremely well for me when I had to get rid of the moisture from an old basement. DO NOT let children or pets drink or handle the drippings. This works to dry out the area. Someone else suggested bleach to wipe down the areas of mold...good idea.

edit on 24-11-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: grrrrr

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join