It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology. Is there something were not seeing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I neither do religion nor do I go to church. The Simple facts are Scientology is not recognized world wide as a Religion. In numerous countries it is classed as a cult or sinister, it is not classed as a religion.

Just because it is recognized in the US as a Religion, does not give it legitimacy as far as I am concerned.
edit on 21-11-2011 by Laurauk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Laurauk

If Christianity had never existed before the 90's, we'd have done the same thing with it.

It's one and the same. They are both ridiculous concepts that have lead to more harm than good over the course of their existance and have the blood of the world, many times over on their hands.

A cult is a cult is a cult is a cult. Regardless of how many people want to believe it's not.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

For one thing, once in, you just can't opt out. They will hound, harrass, and follow those who want out. I watched a doc about it last night, but because it is to be replayed this week on The Passionate Eye, it isn't available on their web site until afterwards. .

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I have a copy of the first ever publicised essay on Dianetics (or however you spell it. Incidently it was in a Sci-fi magazine) and it's poorly written and conceived by the mind of the mediocre. L. Ron was one of the worst Sci-fi writers in history who is often quoted (though many sources claim it isn't true) as saying that the only real way "to make money is to start a religion"

Scientology also teaches that Psychiatry is evil and will not let you join the "church" if you have a history of mental illness (or as they put it, are insane) and of course having no money or assets means the same thing. Let's ignore the fact that a lot of their practices are tantamount to mental abuse and can make you mentally ill.

One of the reasons there are so many celebrity Scientologists is the fact that they are treated so well compared to the other members of the church and they even have their own "Celebrity Centres" where they go to learn all things Scientology amongst the other great and good folks like themselves. They never see the side of Scientology that the average Scientologits has to live with every day. The "church" abuses it's staff and contrives to isolate them and keep them poor (and or in debt) until no more can be wrung from them, at which time they are abandoned by their faith.

Don't even get me started about the farcical practice of Auditing and how it's mostly a way to learn your deepest, darkest secrets so that they can be held on file and used against you should the need arise...

Can anyone tell which subject I chose to do my Cults essay on when I was studying Theology? lol

Rev

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

One is not disagreeing with you. All religion is bad as each other. But to be a religion it takes a lot more than one country alone for that faith to become a world wide religion. Christianity is a world wide religion were scientology is not. And I do not agree with either of them. Both cults, are as bad as each other as far as I am concerned.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

I would so have loved to taken Religious Studies at College or University and challenged any of them on their belief system. If it makes me a non believer a sinner oks I can live with that. Id rather live outwith doctrines only written for other peoples own perverted benefits.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Scientology: Read all about it!

You'll have to look at The Montauk Project, Aliester Crowley and Babylon Working (the threesome sex magic ritual he performed with Jack Parsons and Jack's wife in order to birth something into this world from another dimension. It left him partially paralyzed for a while).

Celebrities are frequently the victims of MKUltra. They may be more vulnerable to this kind of cult than others are. If you ever take a Scientology class, they will stalk you from address to address and keep asking you to return. They are better than creditors at locating people. I didn't take a class, but have 3 friends who took the first paid class in the series. They liked the experience but felt no draw to stay. They were merely seekers who experimented with anything and everything that increased perceptions. There are more powerful tools that don't cost a fortune, they found.
edit on 21/11/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

If Christianity had never existed before the 90's, we'd have done the same thing with it.
So true. I actually feel bad for scientologists due to the amount of crap they get; even tho I'm pretty one minded when it comes to people who follow any religion. But I know they are going through the same psychological process as anybody who has been pulled into a religious circle.
When you think about it scientology is actually a lot more probable then say the bible, still ignorant to believe in but its got a basis in reality at least.

A cult is a cult is a cult is a cult.
Might just be my new motto. Stereotypes actually have a huge impact and its amazing for me to see people label one thing a cult and view it with in a lot of cases utter disgust; but then accept something exactly the same.
Humans are a confusing bunch that’s for sure.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

For one thing, once in, you just can't opt out. They will hound, harrass, and follow those who want out. I watched a doc about it last night, but because it is to be replayed this week on The Passionate Eye, it isn't available on their web site until afterwards. .
Yeah I heard about that, some of the stories are scary to say the least. But the again religions like Christianity do the same thing in an indirect way, such as convincing you that you will go to hell and be tortured for eternity.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The Crap they receive, they only bring it upon themselves. If they had nothing to hide, the same as any other cult claiming to be a religion. They would not go to the lengths they do go to. To silence their critics.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

It was finding my current path that lead to me leaving my ministry. I'm still a Christian at heart, but other Christians wouldn't recognise me as such.
Organised religion was a good thing until it is given unto the control of man...then we turned it to sh*t. We're the human race, it's what we do. lol Faith on the other hand is a very personal thing and the message can be as eternal and enduring as the soul.

Rev

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Sounds like an interesting read. You know, now that I think about it I have never read one of his novels; think I might do that.
Well he's right, its a genius way to make a long lasting income.

Hmm I sort of agree with them on psychiatry. Not that its evil, but has no basis in fact and its all about opinion; yet they will prescribe you to dangerous drugs no worries.

I did a funny think tonight. I sent the church of scientology an email saying I wanted to learn their religion but didn’t have enough money to buy their books. I then asked if they could help in anyway. Still waiting for a reply.

All good points. I see them as the modern form of religion; they do all the classic stuff just in a more direct way.

I would of done it on Christianity

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

The Crap they receive, they only bring it upon themselves. If they had nothing to hide, the same as any other cult claiming to be a religion. They would not go to the lengths they do go to. To silence their critics.

Partly, but also because society is not accepting of difference. Old school religions are accepted because older generations were forced to believe it and then they told us it was normal. Sorry but there is no difference between what you call a cult and a religion. Every religion has a million skeletons in the closet, that’s nothing new.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Organised religion should start and end with you only. Like you said, humans have a tendency to ruin anything they touch.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

I love finding links like this about "the church" Look at the very first artical on your link and you see:

OT VIII: THE CONFIDENTIAL STUDENT BRIEFING DOCUMENT HUBBARD COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE

Read it and you think, this is the same old and unimaginative conspiracy theory nonsense that people are still peddling today! And even worse, we're still falling for it in one way or another. lol Gotta respect L. Ron for one thing however. He made sure that he was always guaranteed an audience for his work and he made them pay for the privilege (beyond buying the material!) of following his ideals. All in all, a 8.5 on the Cult Leader scale methinks.

Rev

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I think you're confusing religion and faith my friend. Religion is irrelevant in most ways. Faith and the search for Gnosis are all that really matters.

Veritas Vos Liberat

Rev

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Did I state that there was a difference?

If you read what I posted. I stated both christianity and scientology are as bad as each other. Both are cults I stated as far as I was concerned.

The fact the Catholic religion is in the same league as the Cult of Scientology.

The fact they have been guilty of abuse, really shows them for what they are. And why they should be not be accepted. By anyone.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

I couldn't don't it on Christianity...I had just taken my vows of ordination and they wouldn't have taken kindly to me talking about the Cult of Christ in the times of Paul...or at least that's what my mentor said about my first essay entitled: "Cult of Christ in the times of Paul" lol

Rev

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Looks like they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with that list of famous people. I've never heard of 75% of those people.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Well you only have to look at the most of the worlds conflicts nowadays to see that religious Ideology, has a role in those conflicts. Wither it is the West trying to enforce their values on those who dont want anything to do with it, and vice versa.

At the end of the day, if certain individuals have faith that is all fine and dandy, what they do in their own four walls is their own business. It is when they try and influence other individuals that is what annoys me.

To use a form of so called religion to bankrupt people, to the point where they commit suicide, that to me is not a religion. And before anyone jumps on my bones. Christianity and other religions are just as guilty of doing this.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join