It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberty University OKs Concealed Guns on Campus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Liberty University is now allowing anyone with a concealed carry permit to carry firearms on campus. This is a good thing and something that every campus or college should consider. No attacker would dare come on the campus opening fire and killing innocent people if they knew that there would be a lot of people there with their own weapons or at least they would think twice about it.

This is a good step up for the 2nd Amendment. Good for you Liberty University.

godfatherpolitics.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

“It adds to the security and safety of the campus and it’s a good thing. If something — God forbid — ever happened like what happened at Virginia Tech, there would be more than just our police officers who would be able to deal with it.” Read more: Liberty University OKs Concealed Guns on Campus | Godfather Politics godfatherpolitics.com...

I thought that all the second Amendment supporters would love this story. It's really good to see a University step up and do the right thing in order to protect themselves. I've always believed that if the schools had people legally carrying guns, then all the school shootings would stop. Thoughts?

godfatherpolitics.com...
edit on 11/20/11 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
Liberty University is now allowing anyone with a concealed carry permit to carry firearms on campus. This is a good thing and something that every campus or college should consider. No attacker would dare come on the campus opening fire and killing innocent people if they knew that there would be a lot of people there with their own weapons or at least they would think twice about it.

This is a good step up for the 2nd Amendment. Good for you Liberty University.

godfatherpolitics.com...

The problem is that some of the attackers in campus shootings are students at the campus.

Nobody but an authority figure on a campus needs a weapon.

edit to add:

www.nytimes.com...

The gunman who killed 32 people and himself on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute Monday was identified today as a student who lived in a dormitory on campus but kept to himself.

edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: add text

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Even if most of the attackers are students, they would think twice about going on a rampage knowing that a lot of people are armed on campus. Guns being banned on Campus and the attacker knowing that nobody has them just encourages their rampage.

From the link, which I totally agree with,

I suspect that some lone shooter or group of terrorists will think twice about going on the campus of Liberty University to cause mischief or worse. Read more: Liberty University OKs Concealed Guns on Campus | Godfather Politics godfatherpolitics.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

How are separate students going to identify who the shooter is?

Im all for conceal carry man, but this is a disaster waiting to happen. Should it ever happen, we will likely have many students who end up shooting eachother and a shooter who can no longer easily be identified.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Guns and alcohol do not mix.

Given the amount of partying that goes on at any campus, this seems like an awfully dangerous risk to me.

Instead of arming students, campuses need to be prepared security wise to protect the students there.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Fully agree. A properly trained and armed security team will be far more effective against any active shooter over a bunch of college students running around.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

How are separate students going to identify who the shooter is?

Im all for conceal carry man, but this is a disaster waiting to happen. Should it ever happen, we will likely have many students who end up shooting eachother and a shooter who can no longer easily be identified.

Separate students wouldn't have to identify the shooter. For example...You are in a classroom and a shooter walks in and starts shooting. The students in the class with CCP and their own firearm, shoots the shooter. Shooter is dead and the situation ends there, with little or no bloodshed except for the shooter.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Students are not always in the classroom.

Sometimes they are in their dorms, getting drunk.
Sometimes they are in their apartments, getting drunk.
Sometimes they hit the bars in town, to get drunk.

A fight breaks out, and suddenly the whole campus is the OK corral.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Makes this University the safest campus in the country. What "No guns allowed" signs and policies really say is: Unarmed victims inside for your shooting pleasure."

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
What "No guns allowed" signs and policies really say is: Unarmed victims inside for your shooting pleasure."

With the way you say this, it does sound like shooting fish in a barrel, but I have the opposite reaction.

To me that this school will be allowing this means that the school is financially strapped and will not be taking the safety of the students to heart.

Nope, it would be much safer to let a bunch of hormone laced tweenagers have loaded weapons in their dorms or in their purses.

Like a member said in the thread earlier, this is an accident waiting to happen.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Most of the shooting rampages take place when they are in class....

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

You are entirely correct my friend. Some people just dont understand and we will never make them understand how good this is.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

Most of the shooting rampages take place when they are in class....

Well great then..........this will allow it to happen anywhere and any time on campus now! Just because they can all have weapons freely at their disposal.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Thats your opinion and I believe your opinion is wrong. Just because students might be legally carrying guns is not a reason to think, "Oh My God!!!They Are Going To Kill Someone!" This University will be safer now because of guns. I bet we never hear about killings at this school. Time will tell..

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

"Oh My God!!!They Are Going To Kill Someone!"

That is not what I am thinking. Kids having guns is a huge responsibility, and while we might not hear about anybody killing somebody which is a possibility, drunken accidents are more likely in my opinion.

And yes, college students are still kids in my opinion, and I betcha most of their parents will say the same thing.
edit on 20-11-2011 by supine because: spelling

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

I have children that are 25,26, and 30 and I still consider them kids. I dont get your point here. Legally people are adults at 18. There are a lot that dont grow up till much later, but I really dont see that having any substance to this discussion. You talk like you believe that they just pass out CCP's to any old body that wants one. CCP carriers go through an extensive background check and through weapons training in most states.

Those students that would have CCP's in the University would be responsible ones who already know that guns and alcohol dont mix. You make it out to be that "OMG! The Kids Are Gonna Kill Each Other When They Party!" Sounds like you are judging a group of people for no reason to me to support your Anti-Gun Propaganda.

They wont get drunk and accidentally shoot each other. I have a nephew that is 21 and he has a CCP and he goes to college and he gets drunk with his college friends. He has never shot anyone nor does he ever play games with his weapon. He respects his weapon, as most CCP holders do....

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

I have children that are 25,26, and 30 and I still consider them kids. I dont get your point here. Legally people are adults at 18. There are a lot that dont grow up till much later, but I really dont see that having any substance to this discussion. You talk like you believe that they just pass out CCP's to any old body that wants one. CCP carriers go through an extensive background check and through weapons training in most states.

Those students that would have CCP's in the University would be responsible ones who already know that guns and alcohol dont mix. You make it out to be that "OMG! The Kids Are Gonna Kill Each Other When They Party!" Sounds like you are judging a group of people for no reason to me to support your Anti-Gun Propaganda.

They wont get drunk and accidentally shoot each other. I have a nephew that is 21 and he has a CCP and he goes to college and he gets drunk with his college friends. He has never shot anyone nor does he ever play games with his weapon. He respects his weapon, as most CCP holders do....

I do understand that background checks, etc...would be done, and greatfully so. Most people of college age do not have much of a background to check.

Not every child is irresponsible, and not every child is responsible, but accidents do happen, even in homes where guns are assumed to be safe.

I do not have an anti-gun agenda. I believe in people being allowed to have them, however I do not believe a college campus is the right place to test the waters to see who is responsible or not.

18 is by all means the legal age of an adult, and while you are confident that yours are, I betcha a lot of Moms are trying to figure out why their 18 year old college kid is still bringing home a mountain of laundry on the weekend.

I have 4 children. 31, 30 and 27 year old twins. I will tell you that I would have insisted they switch schools for any college they went to if the school left the responsibility of security up to the student body.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

I will tell you that I would have insisted they switch schools for any college they went to if the school left the responsibility of security up to the student body.

No where in the article do they say that they are leaving the responsibility of security up to the student body. Please quit stating things that are not factual according to the article. The article states....

“It adds to the security and safety of the campus and it’s a good thing. If something — God forbid — ever happened like what happened at Virginia Tech, there would be more than just our police officers who would be able to deal with it.”

They state that it will ADD to the security of the Campus.

Remember this.....When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

No where in the article do they say that they are leaving the responsibility of security up to the student body. Please quit stating things that are not factual according to the article. The article states....

Yeah, quite a slick way of saying that they will not be increasing the security themselves, but will add to it with the student body. I'm sorry but this is a cheap mental trick to lull people into a false sense of security because they are unwilling to handle it themselves.

“It adds to the security and safety of the campus and it’s a good thing. If something — God forbid — ever happened like what happened at Virginia Tech, there would be more than just our police officers who would be able to deal with it.”

They state that it will ADD to the security of the Campus.

Remember this.....When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Then the STATE should be paying for ADDED security and not putting the responsibility onto students who are paying a pretty penny to be at school for AN EDUCATION!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join