It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberty University OKs Concealed Guns on Campus

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Once again, nowhere in the article does it state that the security for the campus will be the students responsibility. They say it will add to it, but they dont say that they need it for security purposes.

SCENARIO 1. If my nephew who has a CCP went to this University and a disgruntled student walked in with a gun out threatening to shoot people or walks in and starts firing, my nephew would take out his gun and shoot the disgruntled student before he could hurt or kill more than 1 or 2 people, ending the rampage right then and there, saving his life and the lives of his fellow students, including your ;loved ones.

SCENARIO 2. If my nephew wasn't allowed to carry a weapon and the disgruntled student started shooting, all he and everyone else could do is hide under the desks while the gunman slaughtered everyone in the room, then went into another classroom to continue his murderous rampage until the police could arrive. After the police arrive, then you would have a hostage situation after numerous people had been slaughtered, including my nephew or your loved ones.

If my kids were in college, I would much rather have the first scenario take place.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
In Calif this ban even covers off duty cops taking courses on campus. If they are off duty and out of uniform they can not carry.

One of the worse collage shootings in Texas was cut short because students grabbed hunting rifles from there trucks and brought the sniper under counter-fire

Ramiro Martinez, an officer who participated in stopping Whitman's rampage, later stated that the civilian shooters should be credited as they made it difficult for him to take careful aim

en.wikipedia.org...

With all the background checks and training civilians with CCWs should be allowed to carry anywhere but court houses and/or places that are screened by metal detectors or body scanners that keep out the crazy shooters.

www.thehighroad.org...
www.thehighroad.org...
www.thehighroad.org...
pistolrange.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.thedenverchannel.com...
www.sightm1911.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
reply to post by supine

Once again, nowhere in the article does it state that the security for the campus will be the students responsibility. They say it will add to it, but they dont say that they need it for security purposes.

They don't need to say it, but that is exactly what they are doing.

SCENARIO 1. If my nephew who has a CCP went to this University and a disgruntled student walked in with a gun out threatening to shoot people or walks in and starts firing, my nephew would take out his gun and shoot the disgruntled student before he could hurt or kill more than 1 or 2 people, ending the rampage right then and there, saving his life and the lives of his fellow students, including your ;loved ones.

That is if the disgruntled student who has a CCP is sitting right behind your nephew and doesn't cap him first because he knows he's got a gun, too!

SCENARIO 2. If my nephew wasn't allowed to carry a weapon and the disgruntled student started shooting, all he and everyone else could do is hide under the desks while the gunman slaughtered everyone in the room, then went into another classroom to continue his murderous rampage until the police could arrive. After the police arrive, then you would have a hostage situation after numerous people had been slaughtered, including my nephew or your loved ones.

Once again, you are assuming your nephew is going to have a clear shot once something like this happens.....what if the nutter is already in class sitting behind him?

If my kids were in college, I would much rather have the first scenario take place.

If my kids were in college I would prefer none of these scenarios take place because security has been doing their job in the first place!~

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

No attacker would dare come on the campus opening fire and killing innocent people if they knew that there would be a lot of people there with their own weapons or at least they would think twice about it.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?
Because most people that go on shooting rampages are thoughtful, wanting to survive, and care about what harm might be done?

Convince me there is any reason to believe that.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

Even if most of the attackers are students, they would think twice about going on a rampage knowing that a lot of people are armed on campus. Guns being banned on Campus and the attacker knowing that nobody has them just encourages their rampage.

From the link, which I totally agree with,

I suspect that some lone shooter or group of terrorists will think twice about going on the campus of Liberty University to cause mischief or worse. Read more: Liberty University OKs Concealed Guns on Campus | Godfather Politics godfatherpolitics.com...

You are not making any sense. You are operating under the assumption that shooting rampages only happen because the shooter is guaranteed a reward at the end. When people go on shooting rampages they know it is going to end in death or jail. No one thinks they will get a puppy for doing it and if they did, knowing others are armed is not going to help.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

Most of the shooting rampages take place when they are in class....

Most of the shooters are suicidal as well. None of this is working. Sorry.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

reply to post by supine

Even if most of the attackers are students, they would think twice about going on a rampage knowing that a lot of people are armed on campus.

You actually think someone mentally ill enough to go on a rampage at a school would care if others are packing.

This is just more delusional thinking by gun owners.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko

reply to post by supine

Even if most of the attackers are students, they would think twice about going on a rampage knowing that a lot of people are armed on campus.

You actually think someone mentally ill enough to go on a rampage at a school would care if others are packing.

This is just more delusional thinking by gun owners.

You are right in that they would not care if other students were packing, but that doesn't stop the fact that they would be stopped by another student's bullet way before the police could respond, saving countless lives.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FallenWun

You are not making any sense. You are operating under the assumption that shooting rampages only happen because the shooter is guaranteed a reward at the end. When people go on shooting rampages they know it is going to end in death or jail. No one thinks they will get a puppy for doing it and if they did, knowing others are armed is not going to help.

Say what? Im sorry, you are the one that is not making any sense. Where do you get the assumption in any of my posts that I think the gunman is guaranteed a reward? That statement is way off the wall!!

All of my points end up with the shooter dead by a student with a CCW before they can cause mass casualties. I dont understand you at all unless you are saying that death is a reward......

And others being armed will stop the lunatic from committing mass casualties...Period

Now go back to your fantasy land of "All is so happy and fine. The police will protect us all. Peace and Love" Geesh.......

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

That is if the disgruntled student who has a CCP is sitting right behind your nephew and doesn't cap him first because he knows he's got a gun, too!

Why would you assume that he would know that my nephew had a gun? Thats something that my nephew doesnt brag about. Even if you are right, then the student sitting behind the shooter who killed my nephew, would take their gun and shoot the shooter, holding the death count down to 2 people, my nephew and the shooter, instead of the whole classroom...

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I am very pro-2nd Amendment, but the thought of teenaged fundamentalists (who stand a high likelihood of being intoxicated a fair bit of the time) running around with firearms on campus makes me cross off Liberty University as a place I'd ever want to visit.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Right, college kids all liquored up at homecoming game and the ref makes a stupid call.....

adios ref............

Then the opposing fans get out their pistols and retaliate.

yeah, that'll work.........

Most of the college kids I know are little twerps and to arm them is one of the dumbest things I can think of.

I give Liberty six months when some jealously over a coed goes south and a student is killed by another student. Or a freshman is cleaning his piece and accidentally shoots his roommate. Or a kid broken hearted because his girlfriend dumped him; blows his brains out! The parents will be up in arms [intentional pun] and guns will be banned again.

You want more tragic scenarios?

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

edit on 20-11-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Say what? Im sorry, you are the one that is not making any sense. Where do you get the assumption in any of my posts that I think the gunman is guaranteed a reward? That statement is way off the wall!!

You are the one trying to claim the a campus rampage shooter weighs the pros and cons of going on said rampage and does a value assessment then decides to go on said rampage after deciding it is safe and perhaps rewarding as opposed to dangerous and perhaps punitive. That is your logic, not mine.

All of my points end up with the shooter dead by a student with a CCW before they can cause mass casualties. I dont understand you at all unless you are saying that death is a reward......

All of your points are fantasy scenarios you made up that do not prevent death, only minimize it. Even in your fantasy the best you can do is just a couple kids dead? Hardly convincing. You play too many video games. You think people sit in orderly rows waiting for a hero to stand up, pull out his gun, aim, and take down the kid who already has his gun out and is using it.

Make believe is fun until your nephew gets a hole shot in the back of his head by a student on a rampage or the front of his face by a student trying to play hero.

And others being armed will stop the lunatic from committing mass casualties...Period

You have completely failed to make that case. Saying it again does not make it any more plausible.

Now go back to your fantasy land of "All is so happy and fine. The police will protect us all. Peace and Love" Geesh.......

My fantasy land?
Nothing in any of my posts is made up crap unlike the majority of what you have posted here.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

You are right in that they would not care if other students were packing, but that doesn't stop the fact that they would be stopped by another student's bullet way before the police could respond, saving countless lives.

So automatically arming these college students will suddenly make them brave, responsible, crack shots?
How does that happen?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It could be worse, though. Tennessee lets you conceal carry in bars.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Sounds like the naysayers are under this impression that every idiot will go out and arm himself just because he can and then subsequently behave like an idiot with a gun.

Sorry to rain on the fear parade but that isn't going to happen. Any student who is now permitted to carry on campus already does in their day to day life off campus. And "gasp" these people live their lives like any other people. They go shopping, out to dinner, to the movies, to sporting events, and they may even drink.

Are the streets running red?

Every time some draconian legislation eases a tiny bit morons throw up their arms and shout "the sky is gonna fall soooo hard!" and it never does.

Where are those crazy "assault weapon" street battles we were warned about when te AWB expired? Where are those bar shootouts we were promised when states dropped the guns in bars bans? Where are the crazy cross-fire body counts from CCW holders and cops all battling in the streets trying to figure out who the one bad guy is?

Not one of these absurd paranoid fantasies has ever come true and they won't this time either.

It's like a broken record of stupidity.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Reply to post by Equidae

Still waiting for those bar room shootouts.

NH has never barred guns from bars. Not in the history of the state. Still waiting here for a bar room shootout too.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Sounds like the naysayers are under this impression that every idiot will go out and arm himself just because he can and then subsequently behave like an idiot with a gun.

Sorry to rain on the fear parade but that isn't going to happen. Any student who is now permitted to carry on campus already does in their day to day life off campus. And "gasp" these people live their lives like any other people. They go shopping, out to dinner, to the movies, to sporting events, and they may even drink.

Are the streets running red?

Every time some draconian legislation eases a tiny bit morons throw up their arms and shout "the sky is gonna fall soooo hard!" and it never does.

Where are those crazy "assault weapon" street battles we were warned about when te AWB expired? Where are those bar shootouts we were promised when states dropped the guns in bars bans? Where are the crazy cross-fire body counts from CCW holders and cops all battling in the streets trying to figure out who the one bad guy is?

Not one of these absurd paranoid fantasies has ever come true and they won't this time either.

It's like a broken record of stupidity.

I have nothing against concealed carry, but it is a great responsibility and I don't think the average college student could handle it.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Probably because that is the reasoning being used by the OP and his ilk to make this argument. What is his argument again? Oh, right. No shooting rampages because EVERYONE else will be armed.

You cannot gut one side of an argument and pretend it was the other sides failing.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Reply to post by Equidae

Still waiting for those bar room shootouts.

NH has never barred guns from bars. Not in the history of the state. Still waiting here for a bar room shootout too.

A crowd full of drunk people is not a good place for a weapon. I can easily see how having a gun would be a deterrent, but drunk people are notorious for lots of bravado and poor decision making skills. Then it becomes harder to deescalate a violent situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join