It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Deutch Introduces OCCUPIED Constitutional Amendment To Ban Corporate Money In Politics

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I'd support this, but ONLY if it banned union money as well.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I'd support this, but ONLY if it banned union money as well.

So let me get this straight. A barber shop owner shouldn't be allowed to make political contributions, so long as unions are not allowed either?

Please read the bill. Its a farce designed to attack small business owners, not large corporations.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RainDog
reply to post by LazyGuy

This is awesome. Everyone should call their respective congressman and voice their support for this bill. I am amazed that this bill was introduced after only two months of protests. This is a great sign. Ending corporate personhood is a GIANT leap in the right direction. NO MONEY IN POLITICS!!!

Here's a website where you sign a petition to pass the OCCUPIED amendment.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303
+Ban Union contributions and I think the bill would be just swell.

Yep. A democrat introducing this anti-corporation bill funding campaign is all fine... IF he included banning union contributions too... otherwise it's just party politics.

Which I think it is. I don't see this bill passing... no way.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
GO OWS!!! Putting boots on the ground and initiating change. Probably won't pass and I'm sure corporations already have ways of getting around this, BUT it's a good start.

Now if we could unbrainwash the naysayers and get everyone on board, we could actually get our country back from the elitists.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I thought America was a Democracy, not a nation where a small group of angry protestors wants to force a certain section of it's own citizens to pay more to society. OWS isn't democratic. It doesn't represent the majority of Americans.

Sitting on a plot of land until you get what you want is not democracy, children.

Constitutional Amendment...Hahaha, good one.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Chalupas

Probably why this has been introduced by an ELECTED REPRESENTATIVE.
What story did you read?

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chalupas
I thought America was a Democracy, not a nation where a small group of angry protestors wants to force a certain section of it's own citizens to pay more to society. OWS isn't democratic. It doesn't represent the majority of Americans.

Sitting on a plot of land until you get what you want is not democracy, children.

The Corps are out in force.

This issue is common to all sides.

Corps are not people. Corps are overriding people. That's enough. They are in the process of deconstructing the thing that they thrive on.

Corporatism is a cancer. It is NOT capitalism.
edit on 2011/11/20 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Anyone have the wording of the proposed Amendment? I would support an Amendment that basically makes it impossible for anyone who isn't a live human being and a citizen of the U.S. to donate money to American politicians, and allow congress and the states to set limits for how much each person can donate.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I am going to go ahead and ask again.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
This bill comes from an elected representative, not protestors.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

This suggestion is looking better than what we currently have but read the response below and think Mr. Murri's response is perhaps preferred choice.

Other opinions pls?

Robert Murri · Highland High School
There is a major problem with this particular amendment. It says "For-Profit" entities are prohibited. That means the super PAC are still allowed to send as much as they want in an election since they are formed as non-profit entities. He needs to change it to read that no entity whatsoever, be it a corporation, limited liability company, partnership or sole proprietor as authorized by any state within the union of the United States, by the United States of America or any foreign government or state is prohibited from participating in any way, to include but not limited to monetary contributions or in-king value to a candidate, political part and special interest group for the purpose of promoting, advocating, or otherwise influencing the political and election process. Such entities are NOT natural persons and do not enjoy the protections and rights of the Constitution of the United State of America. Only "Natural Persons" who are eligible to vote in the federal elections, any state or subdivision thereof election shall be allowed to contribute money or in-kind value to a candidate or political party. Limits of such contributions may be regulated by the Congress of the United States and the states therein.

This will force the politicians to seek their funding from private individuals who are eligible to vote and no other source. This will then cause them to truly represent the people and not the corporations. I would further prohibit any gift or in-kind value given to any member of Congress and their staffs, both employed and volunteered. Also prohibit them from working for any special interest group upon leaving their commitment to the Congressional staff or no less than 8 years. In this way, their value to a lobbyist is diminished because enough of the Congressional members and staff will probably be changed and the individual will not know many of the new people. So they are less likely to be bought by special interests groups.

Add these protections and you will have an effective change to Citizens United and the corruption of our government. Source: thinkprogress.org...

One way or the other we MUST SEPARATE Corporations from Government.

edit on 20-11-2011 by ofhumandescent because: added image

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Okay I've been saying this for several years.

Basically politicians should get exactly what the average person wages, and benefits, so they are living in the same world as the majority. - Realtruth

Who in sam hell works for who?????

Read the medical and retirement package our Senate & Congress get.

We should be so lucky.

Time to level the playing field.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

We don't need compromise, we need to get rid of the people whose only goal is to turn over all power in this country to corporations.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You're funny. Most bills come from unelected lobbyists, all written by them, given to congress people to vote on. And 99% of them don't even read the bills they vote on.

And America ain't a democracy, it's a republic. What the majority wants doesn't matter if it violates the constitution.
edit on 20-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrenchOsage
I hate to be negative, but if any of you think we can turn this around from the voting box...I beg you to turn off your televisions and visit your local libraries and read books for a few years. Some of you may not know history, but I promise you...those who control the Actors who play the role of "world leaders" not only know history but write it.

Yes. Everyone go to your local library and pick up those books about how the Rotheschilds and Rockafellas rule the world. Because those books exist, and more specifically, exist in public libraries.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

You're funny. Most bills come from unelected lobbyists, all written by them, given to congress people to vote on. And 99% of them don't even read the bills they vote on.

And America ain't a democracy, it's a republic. What the majority wants doesn't matter if it violates the constitution.
edit on 20-11-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Ooo.. Close.

America is neither Democracy nor Republic though...

It's a plutocracy on a visible surface level, and beneath that it's really just a loose oligarchy.

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by poet1b

We don't need compromise, we need to get rid of the people whose only goal is to turn over all power in this country to corporations.

:u p:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

That's kinda what it does:

ARTICLE— ‘‘SECTION 1. The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons and do not extend to for-profit corporations, limited liability companies, or other private entities established for business purposes or to promote business interests under the laws of any state, the United States, or any foreign state.
‘‘SECTION 2. Such corporate and other private entities established under law are subject to regulation by the people through the legislative process so long as such regulations are consistent with the powers of Congress and the States and do not limit the freedom of the press.
‘‘SECTION 3. Such corporate and other private entities shall be prohibited from making contributions or expenditures in any election of any candidate for public office or the vote upon any ballot measure submitted to the people.
‘‘SECTION 4. Congress and the States shall have the power to regulate and set limits on all election contributions and expenditures, including a candidate’s own spending, and to authorize the establishment of political committees to receive, spend, and publicly disclose the sources of those contributions and expenditures.’’

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You know.. You're 100% right.

All those sit-ins in the 60's in racially segregated areas to promote and fight for racial equality..

All those Buddhist monks sitting in one place and setting themselves on fire to stop Roman Catholics from persecuting their religion..

That guy in Tiananmen Square who refused to move for a tank..

Childish! And you should all be ashamed of wanting your voices to be heard through non-violent protest! Either shut up and let corporations do what they want, or throw a damn maltov cocktail already.

Geez, kids these days.

(Before I get flamed for telling someone to throw an explosive, yes, this whole post was sarcasm.)

Also, if the popular votes goes to Gore and Bush wins.. Clearly what the people want doesn't matter.
Also... Occupy is like an interest group. Not everything they do is agreeable to everyone they represent, but they are -in fact- still representing the majority of America.. And unless you're a multimillionaire or a conglomerate, what they do is going to be met by a backlash that will inevitably affect you whether you say you were part of OWS or not.
edit on 20-11-2011 by thegagefather because: Cause

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm finally glad something good has come from all this hubub. keep fighting the good fight gents!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join