It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US man fired for refusing to wear '666'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

You're correct. I am not a bibleophile but I am pretty sure it says that its the number of a man. Then I think it goes on to say that man will be made to wear the mark of the beast but it does not say that the mark is 666.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Partygirl

I think the company should be forced to stop making employees wear stickers. Why is it necessary to proclaim the number of days that the company has been accident free on each person? Pointless! I don't blame him, wouldn't have worn that crap either.

Hey really good point ! Why not just a sign in the break room or near the time clock ? I used to sell furniture for a living and I hated having to wear those stickers that say "ask me about..." They left sticky marks on my sweaters.
edit on 19-11-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

He said the manager assured him he wouldn't have to wear the number.

When the day came on March 12, 2009, Hyatt sought a manager to discuss his request. He said he was told that his beliefs were "ridiculous" and that he should wear the sticker or serve a three-day suspension.

Hyatt took the three-day suspension, and was fired at a human resources meeting several days later.

I don't care how silly you may think this guy's beliefs are, I think its equally ridiculous to fire a guy for not wearing a silly STICKER for one day on the job.

Its not like he wasn't going to put it back on the next day.

If they think he takes his faith a little too seriously, what does it say about them and the importance they place on that silly little sticker? Maybe they take THAT a little too seriously as well. Makes me wonder if they aren't a little superstitious, thinking that if someone doesn't wear the sticker on any given day, their safety streak may end.

Who's the one with the crazy superstitious beliefs now; The guy following a faith that's 2000 years old or the guy who thinks someone will get a boo-boo if he doesn't wear that sticker?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

So silly. I just got a new cell phone and the last three digits are 666. I didnt turn the phone in or ask for a new phone number. This one is really easy to remember. I am not superstitious nor am I religous.

And yet you authored a thread on this site titled "666 days until 12/21/2012".
IF you think it is so silly why bother?

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by watcher3339

Originally posted by karen61057

So silly. I just got a new cell phone and the last three digits are 666. I didnt turn the phone in or ask for a new phone number. This one is really easy to remember. I am not superstitious nor am I religous.

And yet you authored a thread on this site titled "666 days until 12/21/2012".
IF you think it is so silly why bother?

It didnt say that I thought anything other than oh looky here. I dont think anything will occur on 12/21 other than frantic Christmas shopping that happens every year on that date. The thread was more to get people talking and see what they thought. It was not a very popular thread and had no meaning other than curiosity. The number means nothing to me but it means everythng to others as witnessed here.
Hey did you happen to notice the number on that thread that I started. Yep 666.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is exactly as i see it

1.Company makes man wear stickers representing the number of "accident free" days
2. Man wears 665 stickers
3. Man does not wish to comply with sticker "666" due to his belief system which is his right.
4. Company says mans beliefs are ridiculous, suspends man for three days.
5. Man comes back from suspension
6. Company fires man

So a company firing people for not wearing a sticker, and a man afraid of the already established number "666".

Thats all it boils down to. A company teling a man his beliefs are ridiculous. No matter what side of the fence we stand on, this is the story that happened.
edit on 19-11-2011 by mthgs602 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by douglas82391

SERiOUSLY?

You don't know what he was referring to?

You should really bone up on your world war 2 history particularly the HOLOCAUST...

Deny ignorance isn't just a catch phrase.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This story of a guy getting fired sounds much like an evil hoax to make money at the expense of a company. It works like this - You have to cut a deal with your supervisor at work where you split half the money with him. Then you use the laws to your advantage, and make some complaint (more than once is better) at work about your supervisor, which complaint is not true. Then the supervisor admits the complaint is true. In simplest form, lets say worker A says supervisor B sexually harassed her on numerous occasions. If the company does not have a legitimate sexual harassment policy that is actively enforced (re: retraining regarding sexual harassment), then the company will get stuck with a huge settlement to compensate employee A if the allegations are true. The company sits down supervisor B and asks him if its true and he says it is, and that employee A forgot about ten other sexual harassment events. The company fires supervisor B and pays employee A several million dollars to quit. Then employee A and supervisor B split the money. Now, in the case at hand, doesn't it sound like the supervisor was very aware of the crazy employees nutty belief that wearing 666 would result in his eternal damnation to hell? And, being so aware of the employee's tremendous mental anguish that would occur, the supervisor didn't tell the employee to take the day off, no, instead he encouraged him to come to work so he could force the poor guy to suffer tremendous emotional distress. And, what did the poor employee get - he got fired! Retaliation at its worst1 The employee will own a nice suit for wrongful termination and intentional infliction of extreme emotional abuse, worth at least two million dollars. The only reason I say all this is because its too stupid to be actually true. It has to be a set up to rip off the company.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I feel for the guy...
But, honestly, did he really see it coming?

...as for the company...it seems this may have been one of those, 'now, we have him where we want him', scenarios...

There is scant workplace history mentioned in the article...
We do know the man is a Christian...of what 'calibre', we are unsure...

Imagine a scenario where Christian man, badgers his work 'buddies' with his own interpretation of life, universe and everything, (he's personable, and harmless, but, annoyng to the point of distraction to the majority of the workplace)...

The article mentions that all employees wear the 'sticker'...so, it may be a policy of the workplace...nevertheless, for the 665 days leading up to the 666th day, this man wore a sticker (granted - he mentioned his trepidation beforehand), but did not have the nous to arrange, for the 665 days beforehand (in anticipation) to take the day off, be sick, schedule holidays?

Quite apart from the unfairness of what has been done to this man...I seriously wonder what company would employ someone who would wait till the last minute to 'avoid a situation'...and how would this behaviour reflect on the operation of the company 'on the floor', when a serious and immediate situation arises that demands a clear head, able to plan in advance, or, on the spur of the moment...beggars belief really...

Akushla

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
An idea occured to me from a few previous posts above... Offer the guy a 666 million dollar settlement. If he takes it, you know he's bogus. If he refuses the settlement, give him his job back. Lol

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
The number 666 is not located in the Christian Bible. 666 is a superstitious number. The mark/number of the beast is only mentioned in the Bible. It nowhere states what the number is because nobody knows.

So basically, this guy claimed it was against his religious belief (which it is not because the number of the beast is unknown to all) and in reality he was fired over a superstitious claim. The man was making a false claim, technically.

I say good riddance to the company he worked for.
edit on 19-11-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

If true the company should have allowed him to not wear it. That is true.

It's also possible it was the last straw with an employee who was a trouble maker? No way to know. Depends on how he approached and his history on other issues.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
But you know very well that it is robots that you do want working for you and you also are one. Look at Greece. People there demand to be swaddled by the state, but can the state afford it? Can any other state afford to bail them out? Can any one in the world afford to pay for the luxury of the lazy? The US is the same, especially with its government employees. The expect to be spoiled and they hate to work. Anyone with a conscience is shunned. You want people who all think alike and obey. And anyone who dares to step out of the mold and have a belief in some thing not state approved is attacked. You have no purpose but to attack. But if this man was fired for using the ladies restroom or practicing witchcraft you would be defending him.

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by bluemirage5

I'm sure that was'nt part of his employment contract. I'm not a Christian but I would most certainly support him by not wearing it and his legal action against his employers.

It was'nt that long ago my people were forced to wear gold stars on their clothing and permanent tattoo'ed numbers on their flesh!
edit on 19-11-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

What legal action? If i recall correctly there is a separation of church and state in our rights.

IN NO WAY does "666" represent a disparity of the separation of church and state, "666" is a made up fairy tail based on a hoax. There is no direct or even indirect relation to the number "666" in the bible.

The man is a fool plying the the music of even more fools. Fire him I say, do we rely want robots (following some archaic religious dogma) working for us?
edit on 19-11-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Is the Book of Revelation in the "Christian Bible"?

Originally posted by kimish
The number 666 is not located in the Christian Bible. 666 is a superstitious number. The mark/number of the beast is only mentioned in the Bible. It nowhere states what the number is because nobody knows.

So basically, this guy claimed it was against his religious belief (which it is not because the number of the beast is unknown to all) and in reality he was fired over a superstitious claim. The man was making a false claim, technically.

I say good riddance to the company he worked for.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

And it is also true that in many places of business Christians are habitually harassed and abused. It happens right here on ATS and is generally accepted. Anyone who professes Christ is aksing for trouble.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jcord

I am familiar with the book of Revelation, and Christianity. It nowhere states anywhere in the holy cannon the number 666. Show me credible links to prove otherwise and I will stand corrected.

Wasn't Revelations written about 50 years after Christ Jesus? Also, Scholars believe that John the Apostle was not the author of the book. It was believed to be written around the time of Nero. Many believe 666 is Nero, in a sense. Revelations (speaking of Armageddon) could also mean the fall of the Roman empire, not the fall of Civilization/mankind as most believe.

I agree that being a known Christian nowadays means your "ripe for the picking" so to speak. It's a shame. As it is with any religion.

extra DIV

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Can I ask why this guy just didn't call off on that day and say he was sick?

Although I am not of any faith either, as other posters have said, I respect his belief and think it's a personal opinion and to get fired over it is a bit much. I can see if the company could get fined or something but they should of just told him to stay home and come back on day 667 or cut you hand on purpose and make them start all over again...

But to lose your job?

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
here

i taped this the other night on masnbc and put it on youtube. make fun of the bible all you want.

Revelation 13:16-18
And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a MARK in their right hand, or in their foreheads:And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the MARK, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

but its words are gonna make you look pretty foolish one day.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
by the way I love how everyone jumps right to blaming the guy completely forgetting the fact that were arguing about wearing a sticker..I feel like it really shouldn't matter if someone doesn't want to wear the sticker. go down the list of reasons why this a crucial staple in making that business run. the world these days is a complete joke..

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by singledark

I would'nt do anything for an employer just for a pay check!

and you say I'm not wise?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join