It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Have A Disorder... According To This. You Do!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Now realistically how can we run away from this? How many of these seem to be reaching at best? The ones for children scare me the most.

All of the above and more can be found here in much more detail. I am sure that many of us here either know someone or yourself been diagnosed with one or more of these "disorders", and for those that think they are safe and dodged a bullet, it seems that they are now finding a way for this to be a population problem, and everyone will be required to eventually be medicated.

You know it is possible for a person to go thru a full week of psychological screening for each one of those named disorders and at the end of the week, a psychiatrist/psychology will say that they have none of the disorders.

I know because I went thru such a week-long screening and I kept a copy of the analysis report afterwards which says:
No conduct disorders
No mood disorders
No personality disorders
No eating disorders
No obsessive compulsives disorders-behavior
No psychotic disorders

etc., etc. It's like a 10 page printout report in the end and I also asked for a copy of the psych's handwritten notes.

But it is possible to go through a full week's screening for each disorder and at the end of the week...have none of the disorders.

I usually tend to find that strangers or unqualified people are the ones that go around finger-pointing "disorders" on other people that don't have them. Like some of the people on the net do. If it's a warped individual on the net, they will go around from board to board attacking others accusing all the strangers of allegedly having disorders that only the attacker has. It's a real easy way to read people on the net. Whatever "disorder" some stranger on the net accusers others of having...that's the disorder of the accuser. They don't know the other people on the net, so when accusing strangers...they give them their self-characteristics.

But if a person goes thru the whole screening list...and if no disorders...no meds prescribed. Just letting you know that.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

This is a petition to the American Psychiatric Disorder, it is a petition to have these things removed as a disorder.
This doesn't have to do with government regulation......
It is completely done by teh Association.

Your making a connection that isn't there.

Way to spread misinformation and downplay some very serious disorders.

Nothing is labeled a disorder unless it is disruptive to a person's life. It doesn't matter if it is a case of only one person, a mental disorder can ruin that person's life, disrupt the family unit, cause them to lose jobs.

Borderline, schizophranic and bipolar disorders have a 1 in 5 suicide rate.

A lot of these have been disorders for a long time, but they are categoring them, since not everyone shows the same level of disorder, or may only exhibit certain symptoms.

As for childrenn being diagnosed..
if there is a potential for a person to develope a disorder, the sooner its treated, the better off they are later in life. The longer some of these go undiagnosed, the worse the disorder becomes.

edit on 19-11-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aeriess

Again, lets define disorder:

A psychological disorder, also known as a mental disorder, is a pattern of behavioral or psychological symptoms that impact multiple life areas and/or create distress for the person experiencing these symptoms.

psychology.about.com... rs.htm

Now someone who doesn't eat grapes because they don't like the texture does't mean they have a disorder.

while food avoidance may sound funny, let me tell you about a friend:

This girl has such food avoidance issues that she would only eat MacDonalds french fries, mashed potatoes, and eggs. That was it.
She could not get herself to eat anythig else.

That is a food avoidance disorder. You know, anorexia that kills people?
Sometimes the names are changed if there is too much of a stigma attached.

Now imagine what happens when someone lives on a diet of fries, eggs and mashed potatoes for years?

Major malnutrion, brittle bones, in and out of the hospital constantly, major health issues. Some damage is permenant and she is expected to have a short lifetime.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I cannot stress this enough, please read the link that I have provided. The pages provided including the link can give you the full extent, of where this is going. Also as the first link provided it states that the man who had did the first was in fact in fear of this causing over medication for those that may not have a real problem.

I am not suggesting that some people dont need help, but there are some out there that do not have the full problem, and the petition is so that they can in fact begin to add (by taking a little here and there) a different and in some cases change the name of the disorder in order to broaden them.

You can take or leave what has been presented, if you look at the links, and the actual interview you can see what is said. I know that the links are pretty long, but it is easy to look through, if you are looking for something specific.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I cannot stress this enough, please read the link that I have provided. The pages provided including the link can give you the full extent, of where this is going. Also as the first link provided it states that the man who had did the first was in fact in fear of this causing over medication for those that may not have a real problem.

I am not suggesting that some people dont need help, but there are some out there that do not have the full problem, and the petition is so that they can in fact begin to add (by taking a little here and there) a different and in some cases change the name of the disorder in order to broaden them.

You can take or leave what has been presented, if you look at the links, and the actual interview you can see what is said. I know that the links are pretty long, but it is easy to look through, if you are looking for something specific.

Peace, NRE.

If the articles clearly state what the intentions are, then why the need for sensationalist statements, here is only your second line:

I would like to add the American Psychiatric Associations updates to disorders that dont exist, misconstruing a few words and making it a world wide problem.

First off its the American Psychiatric Association, not international.

Then you give a long list of disorders, then single some out and your next statement is this:

All of the above and more can be found here in much more detail. I am sure that many of us here either know someone or yourself been diagnosed with one or more of these "disorders",

You imply that these "disorders" are not "disorders" at all. And that anyone who has been diagnosed with one is diagnosed with a fake "disorder".

This article is about one psychiatrist who opposes some of the disorders.

From your own source:

"They are all tremendously well-meaning," Frances says of the DSM-5 task force members, both psychiatrists and psychologists. "They are not doing it because they are in bed with drug companies. What they are totally naïve about is how the things in the book are transformed in actual practice."

So how did you come up with that the government, pharmaceutical companies and doctors are forcing medications on people? That was your very first statement.

So where does it say anywhere in your personal statements that this is actually about a psychiatrist who is challenging some of the new or renamed diagnoses going into the DSM-5?

And to make matters worse, you state this before your second external text quote:

Here is the link to new proposed disorders, which include:

Which lists some very serious mental illnesses that no one should EVER be convinced are false;
But the actual title of that segment is this from the SDM-5 website:

Below is a list of updates made to this Web site, including changes in draft criteria and other proposed revisions, since its initial launch in February 2010. Between now and June 15, 2011, we welcome your comments and questions on these changes. Work group members will review all comments, and after completion of the DSM-5 Field Trials later this year, a third round of revisions will be made, followed by a third opportunity to submit feedback. At that time, this page will be updated to orient visitors to areas of the Web site that have changed.

This is merely changes being made to their webpage.

You either didn't understand what that web page was for, or you deliberately chose a long list of disorders that you can label as false for the government, pharmaceuticals, and doctors, because you thought it backed up your point.

Why am I taking such issue with this?

For one, there are a lot of atsers here who are suffering from these diseases, and this belittles them.

Not to mention you are already adding stigma where too much already exists.

Secondly, some people actually take information such as this seriously, and not bother to get their disorders looked into, feel ashamed in doing it, or if they are already balking at not getting treated, this gives them an excuse not too, and that is just downright dangerous.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Why am I taking such issue with this?

For one, there are a lot of atsers here who are suffering from these diseases, and this belittles them.

Not to mention you are already adding stigma where too much already exists.

Secondly, some people actually take information such as this seriously, and not bother to get their disorders looked into, feel ashamed in doing it, or if they are already balking at not getting treated, this gives them an excuse not too, and that is just downright dangerous.

This like ANY other thread written here on ATS is to be researched and why I stated that I provided all the links for those that choose to search either all of them or some.

I stand by my thread, and what I wrote. What make this dangerous is that people do not know that its there, I have presented it, and everyone who reads this can do any type of research that makes them comfortable, including disagreeing with it.

I am not here to convince or belittle anyone. That was not my intent, and as far as I have seen you are the only one making that statement.

ATS is a research, and sharing site, I have shared, and hopefully people will do their research.

Again, I stand by everything that I have presented.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

The American Psychiatric Association is a disorder. Probably already been said. Back to read the responses. Bumpity.

posted on Dec, 9 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This thread will be discussed on the ATS Live Radio show Out of the Box.

Join the OOB crew TONIGHT as they discuss the weird and wonderful world of ATS....

Show Hosts:
NoRegretsEver, Above Board, Wrabbit2000, and Druid42
Show Guests:
FissionSurplus, FarleyWayne, Destinyone, and ItCameFromOuterSpace

OUT OF THE BOX

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join