It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Have A Disorder... According To This. You Do!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I sincerely believe that over medication has become the number one money maker in today's medical fields, from ADHD to the basic insomnia.

I would like to add the American Psychiatric Associations updates to disorders that dont exist, misconstruing a few words and making it a world wide problem.

Just when you thought you were safe... this is what happens when doctors, governments, and pharmaceutical corporations take over.

Psychologists challenge proposed new diagnoses in DSM-5

The next edition of the American Psychiatric Association's diagnostic bible will lead to millions of healthy people being labeled with a mental disorder and treated with potentially dangerous drugs, some psychologists say.
They've drawn up an online petition urging the group to reconsider adding a number of diagnoses to the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5), to be published in 2013.

Among the disorders the petition calls "unsubstantiated and questionable" are "apathy syndrome," "Internet addiction disorder" and "parental alienation syndrome."

The petition, posted Oct. 22, now has more than 5,000 signatures, says David Elkins, president of the Society for Humanistic Psychology and professor emeritus at Pepperdine University.

Most additions aren't supported by published scientific research, he says.

Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable to being mislabeled with a mental illness, he says. For example, the DSM-5 proposes adding the diagnosis "mild neurocognitive disorder," which could lead doctors to prescribe medication to older patients experiencing the normal age-related decline in mental ability.

One of the most outspoken critics of the proposed changes is psychiatrist Allen Frances, who chaired the task force behind the last update, in 1994.

Psychiatric medications "are very useful when used appropriately," says Frances, professor emeritus of psychiatry at Duke University.

But, he says, the DSM-5 proposes about a dozen "really bad" changes that could lead to over-prescribing.

"They are all tremendously well-meaning," Frances says of the DSM-5 task force members, both psychiatrists and psychologists. "They are not doing it because they are in bed with drug companies. What they are totally naïve about is how the things in the book are transformed in actual practice."

Frances and Elkins are calling for an independent scientific review of the proposed changes in DSM-5.

It is the first to be developed in the Internet age, so the public has been able to read drafts and post comments online at DSM5.org.

On Friday, the task force posted a response to the petition. Some newer diagnoses, it says, are still being tested in "field trials" at academic centers and in "routine clinical practice settings" by psychologists, social workers, counselors and psychiatrists.

The task force will open the website for public comment one final time next year, according to the posting.

yourlife.usatoday.com...

Here is the link to new proposed disorders, which include:

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Hoarding Disorder
Skin Picking Disorder
Generalized Anxiety Disorder – 1) change of the proposed name from Generalized Anxiety and Worry Disorder to Generalized Anxiety Disorder; 2) change of the number of symptoms in criterion C (i.e., put all 6 symptoms from DSM-IV back to criterion C); 3) some minor wording changes

Disorders Usually First Diagnosed in Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence
Voice Disorder
Expressive Language Disorder
Communication Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (now diagnosable under Language Impairment umbrella category)
ADHD
Phonological Disorder (now Speech Sound Disorder)
Stuttering (now Childhood Onset Fluency Disorder)
Stereotypic Movement Disorder- criteria and severity scale updates

Eating Disorders
Eating Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (being renamed Feeding and Eating Conditions Not Elsewhere Classified) – added descriptions of several conditions of potential clinical significance

Mood Disorders
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Bipolar I Disorder – Current or Most Recent Episode Hypomanic
Bipolar I Disorder – Current or Most Recent Episode Depressed – changed criteria A to include at least 3 major symptoms of Major Depression of which one of the symptoms is depressed mood or anhedonia
Bipolar II Disorder – Current or Most Recent Episode Hypomanic – separated from Bipolar II Disorder – Current or Most Recent Episode Depressed

Personality Disorders
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Levels of Personality Functioning

Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
Catatonia Specifier – changed disorders this specifier applies to
Delusional Disorder
Brief Psychotic Disorder
Schizophrenia – changed criteria A; removal of reference to Mixed Episode

Substance-Related Disorders
Addition of new Substance-Induced Disorders criteria pending

www.dsm5.org...

Here is PDF, that is also informative about their future plans.
Disorders for Large Academic Clinic Setting Field Trials
www.dsm5.org...
Here are some of my favorites.

Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder
Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Conduct Disorder
Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder
Mixed Anxiety Depression

Now realistically how can we run away from this? How many of these seem to be reaching at best? The ones for children scare me the most.

All of the above and more can be found here in much more detail. I am sure that many of us here either know someone or yourself been diagnosed with one or more of these "disorders", and for those that think they are safe and dodged a bullet, it seems that they are now finding a way for this to be a population problem, and everyone will be required to eventually be medicated.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I can already see the ambulance chasers scripting the commercials for afternoon and late night tv dead times....

ATTENTION: Do you, or a loved one suffer from-___________ [fill in the blank]

A whole new slew of class action lawsuits in the making.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I think that is why they are "renaming" and mashing up disorders, in order to blame the public, for coming in and self diagnosing themselves based on t.v. commercials. All a doctor has to do is write down what you said, diagnosis you and give you a prescription.

I'm also sure that they will also have better lawyers, and the FDA will have to change the laws that protect these people.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com... ml

One out of five adults are now either on some form of anti-depressant, anti-psychotic, or anti-anxiety medication.
edit on 17-11-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I absolutely agree with you and those lists are frightening. Being an individual has become so frightening to those in power that its extermination is a top priority. I used to 'suffer' with shyness and some mild anxiety which I eventually overcame without any medical diagnosis or prescription drugs. These experiences and my decisions regarding them have given me a unique perspective on life and I now use that which held me back to further myself.

I am grateful I am not young now because some teacher or doctor would be implying to my parents that i'm 'sick' in 'need' of some drugs to 'save' me. The pharmaceutical industry is the foremost evil attacking the youth of today.

Great thread a must see for everyone because soon enough everyone will fall into 1 of their catagories.

Peace

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The family courts are already ruling as if Parental Alienation Syndrome is a real disorder. This is simply a defense being used by wealthy child abusers so that they can get custody and quit paying the wife child support. The argument goes that their child hates them so much it can only be because the wife has brainwashed them into doing so.

I have a dear friend who has had this happen to her. The child won't eat or speak while with the husband and now he has full custody and she has no visitation. She is not a drinker or a drug user and takes extraordinary care of her child. The courts have never even let her argue the allegations or bring up police reports of abuse, etc. It is shocking this can happen in America.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Avoidant/Restrictive Food Intake Disorder

That isn't a disorder. I think that's your body's way of saying, "Hey! Don't eat that or I'll make you vomit!"
Unless you suffer from an eating disorder of course. Which is unfortunate for those that do. I just read that and my first thought was now they want to dope us up AND make us fat! A lot of "disorders" are nature. Something is amiss in your body and your brain/body is compensating for it in one way or another. They are also what makes us unique! Most of history's great minds (artists, musicians, inventors, etc) all suffered from things we now cover up with medication. How can we evolve and adapt and change like we are suppose to when we CAN'T?

Congratulations TPTB. You continually set us back years at a time as a race.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

This is truly absurd. I personally believe everyone has several behavior traits that COULD be considered disorders or complexes, but I draw the line at diagnosing those traits and prescribing medication. "Apathy syndrome" and "internet addiction disorder"? They might as well diagnose every teenager in the country. They may mean well, but I highly doubt this will turn out well. As they say, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
"They are all tremendously well-meaning," Frances says of the DSM-5 task force members, both psychiatrists and psychologists. "They are not doing it because they are in bed with drug companies. What they are totally naïve about is how the things in the book are transformed in actual practice."

The last sentence is not analyzed at all by your article. Allow me to explain it. I have a degree in psychology btw.

90% of the disorders in the DSM aren't treated with prescriptions. You are basing your assumptions that all of the things you list will be treated with prescriptions. This isn't the case at all. They won't be giving out pills for internet addiction.
You aren't going to find any psychologists who think the DSM is perfect. They teach you in college that there are many flaws. But it is an extremely valuable tool for treating very real disorders.

All you do is list the names of some of the disorders being added without saying specifically what they entail, or what the symptoms are. You can't judge the validity of a disorder based on its name alone...

TLDR: You're making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal. The reality of this situation isn't anything like what you are implying in your post. The OP is extremely misleading.
edit on 17-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I refuse to take medication for my mind
I would never let my future children either,

Even if they diagnosed me with clinical depression, i would still refuse.

I have been to a psychiatrist,
I was depressed, and anxious, and 'angry' apparently, even though im the most non angry person ever, i suppose when i do get mad i get pretty livid, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I have my own way of self medicating, and it works better than any pharmaceutical will, ever.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
damn, i match so many of those there's gotta' be a rubber room
with my name on it somewhere.
edit on 17-11-2011 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp

How do you know you match so many when the symptoms aren't listed?

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
scary..
1. Big pharma and the pillpushers make obscene profits at expense of public health.

2. Big brother doesnt have to worry over citizens not conforming, plotting revolution or rioting because the people too medicated to think or do anything.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Not to mention that most disorders are only disorders if it causes negative effects in someone's life.

In other words, if these things aren't causing a problem in your life, then you won't be diagnosed with a disorder.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Here is another article written by Allen Francis, and as quoted by him, these new changes will cause "over-medicating", not "over-visitation" to a psychiatrist.

It's not too late to save 'normal' Psychiatry's latest DSM goes too far in creating new mental disorders.

As chairman of the task force that created the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), which came out in 1994, I learned from painful experience how small changes in the definition of mental disorders can create huge, unintended consequences.

Our panel tried hard to be conservative and careful but inadvertently contributed to three false "epidemics" -- attention deficit disorder, autism and childhood bipolar disorder. Clearly, our net was cast too wide and captured many "patients" who might have been far better off never entering the mental health system.

The first draft of the next edition of the DSM, posted for comment with much fanfare last month, is filled with suggestions that would multiply our mistakes and extend the reach of psychiatry dramatically deeper into the ever-shrinking domain of the normal. This wholesale medical imperialization of normality could potentially create tens of millions of innocent bystanders who would be mislabeled as having a mental disorder. The pharmaceutical industry would have a field day -- despite the lack of solid evidence of any effective treatments for these newly proposed diagnoses.

The manual, prepared by the American Psychiatric Assn., is psychiatry's only official way of deciding who has a "mental disorder" and who is "normal." The quotes are necessary because this distinction is very hard to make at the fuzzy boundary between the two. If requirements for diagnosing a mental disorder are too stringent, some who need help will be left out; but if they are too loose, normal people will receive unnecessary, expensive and sometimes quite harmful treatment.

Where the DSM-versus-normality boundary is drawn also influences insurance coverage, eligibility for disability and services, and legal status -- to say nothing of stigma and the individual's sense of personal control and responsibility.

What are some of the most egregious invasions of normality suggested for DSM-V? "Binge eating disorder" is defined as one eating binge per week for three months. (Full disclosure: I, along with more than 6% of the population, would qualify.) "Minor neurocognitive disorder" would capture many people with no more than the expected memory problems of aging. Grieving after the loss of a loved one could frequently be misread as "major depression." "Mixed anxiety depression" is defined by commonplace symptoms difficult to distinguish from the emotional pains of everyday life.

The recklessly expansive suggestions go on and on. "Attention deficit disorder" would become much more prevalent in adults, encouraging the already rampant use of stimulants for performance enhancement. The "psychosis risk syndrome" would use the presence of strange thinking to predict who would later have a full-blown psychotic episode. But the prediction would be wrong at least three or four times for every time it is correct -- and many misidentified teenagers would receive medications that can cause enormous weight gain, diabetes and shortened life expectancy.

articles.latimes.com...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by rubbertramp

How do you know you match so many when the symptoms aren't listed?

most are pretty much self-explanatory.
take the hording disorder

wanna' talk about my 2 cabins, workshop, barn and 3 storage sheds?
i swear, i need every last item in all of them.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Not to mention that most disorders are only disorders if it causes negative effects in someone's life.

In other words, if these things aren't causing a problem in your life, then you won't be diagnosed with a disorder.

Well its usually like this
"Im sad all the time"
"Here, have some prozak" or whatever,
If someone complains about something even though it doesn't really effect them all that much in daily life, but since they complain, they'll get pills.
At least they can't force you to take pills.

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In 1992, I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disease because my mom had it, there wasn't any other disorder for teenagers then, oh sorry. ADD too, I had that also. what was I saying... LOL

"He's acting like a teenager doctor. What can I do? do you have anything to supress his behaviors?"

I was put on Prozac, serzone, retilin, St. johns wart and many others.... "still no solution......
Do yo have anything else?" My mother said..

Years and years of psychotherapy, therapist, and no results.

After jail sentences and DUI's, I went to residential treatment, and learned for myself that by that helping others and having loving people around who actually cared and loved each other, no medication was needed and now I am a very happy and a productive person. I stay away from all doctors when I can. Love can be very powerful tool if used correctly and not for profits.

If I was going to the doctor today and told them of my problems, I would leave with a crazy bill, and a backpack full of medication, "come back in two weeks and ....." well most see where this goes.. 7 billion people and only 6.7 billion taking meds, I'm sure by the end of the week there will be at least 50 new pills for helping the so-called mentally ill on this planet. I am all for the natural remadies, but I see them disappearing one by one in the local stores everyday, but more and more billboards and advertisements to help with your lack of sleep, social skills, concentration, impotence, bad relationships, bad karma, religion, etc....

When will this madness stop? I must say that when I stopped ALL my meds I was able to become awake and see more than I ever have

Much Love

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Big Brother will soon be there to say " open wide, lift your tongue, Thank you." prescriptions will be dispersed at your local pharmacy downstairs of your employment, mandatory before you clock in....Equilibrium anyone??

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Is inventing disorders , also a disorder ?
The "Restrictive Food Intake Disorder" could be aimed at the people eating organic I guess. Anyway it could get complicated while trying to define the word "food" ..
edit on 17-11-2011 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join