It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would they call it...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
ok as sad as this may seem, and sorry if it's in the wrong section of the site, me and my mates are having a discussion about what NASA (or group in the future) would call there first deep space colony on an earth like planet, as we're thinking about starting a story based on the idea of the first colony outside of the solar system.

we did some research and came up with a few names, but we didn't like/think they'd be used. All based around Greek god names. Any feedback or fresh input into ideas/new ideas is welcome,

thanks!

Aidos (which we'd probably name the ship) - which was the greek god of human justice, giving them a sense of Shame & Respect to keep them right. She was also the god that led humanity in Earth's darkest hour.
(was that line that made us want to call the ship Aidos)

Elpis - female god of hope. When Pandora opened her box, Elpis was the only spirit to remain behind and give humanity hope. So maybes the control centre back on Earth could be called Elpis?

at one point we where thinking about calling the planet AidosElpis... but then we realised it sounded like 'Aid us to piss' not very good.

those are side names, but what we really can't decide is what they'd call the Colony? It doesn't even have to be Greek related. We just want something believable, we where even thinking of calling the planet 'Kepler' as it was found during the Kepler mission.

any help would be appreciated

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
If I remember correctly (risky) the name Asimov gives to the first extrasolar settled world is Aurora which was the Roman Goddess of the Dawn (as in dawn of a new era for Humanity etc). Perhaps something along those lines.

EDIT: it was Aurora, found a list of all the 'Spacer' worlds from the Asimov novels. (the first settled worlds)

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Kano]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:48 AM
link   
thanks for the reply Kano, yeah Aurora sounds good, I think we looked at that a few times, it certainly would fit with it's meaning

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see how the naming works. I would assume that initially, it would get an alphanumeric name the same as all the other unexciting names that exoplanets have been given. Maybe after it became a candidate for settlement the original discovery team would retain naming rights. Or perhaps the International Astronomical Union (IAU)'s influence would extend to non-celestial inhabitable planets. Someone would have to come up with a fancy name though thats for sure.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Earth 2. Guess l am that simple.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
oooh thanks for the links Kano, much appreciated, good source of reference material there

I think the ship is definatly going to be called 'Aidos' and 'Elpis' will probably be the prefix for Home HQ.

But again, thank you for those links, i'll look into them for ideas

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
Earth 2. Guess l am that simple.

But will the sequel be better than the original?

Odd

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I've always been more partial to Earth: Episode II: The Clone Wars

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
lmao

Earth 2? hmmm

Got to say, liking the Cornholio picture

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well you now sequels rarely turn out as good as the originals.Great pic Kano

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   

but then we realised it sounded like 'Aid us to piss' not very good.

LOL!! nice name isnt it? Call it Zues! It will be powerful wouldnt it?
lol

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
"Enoch" would be a good choice....or "Atlantis"....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
aye we where thinking about Atlantis, but it'd clash too much with the New Stargate Series, so we didn't in the end. What's 'Enoch' again, I can't help but think of Monty Python

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
How about something like TerraTwo or Ork

By the time we have a deep space colony, it will be named something like 'FedExWorld' or 'StaplesCentre' or 'HaliburtonLand' or 'SuddenlySony.'

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
How about something like TerraTwo or Ork

By the time we have a deep space colony, it will be named something like 'FedExWorld' or 'StaplesCentre' or 'HaliburtonLand' or 'SuddenlySony.'

I can deifinitely see it all covered up with logos of sponsors and have a crazy multi-company name like "Sony presents the Haliburton Colony (in association with Verizon Wireless and Exxon.)"

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Call it an African name. Pay tribute to the place humans originated from..

Nana-Bouclou
Eranoranhan
ABASSI
ORISHA

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
How about: The Chocolate Star Fish,

After we get there it is bound to be full off ****.

Am I Right? Am I? A?

lol

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't know. That's really a tough question. Terra Minor, Horizon One. Something like that. Or maybe Toyota Park.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
[Rant ON]
And celebrities would want to by up half of it for them to have as their private land on which nobody else can put foot on, like miss Shania Twain in Newzealand.

[Rant off]

But please don't take only western related names into consideration.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How about Te-Quiero.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join