It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian scientist denies helping Iran build bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Russian scientist denies helping Iran build bomb

www.google.com

MOSCOW (AP) — A Russian scientist accused of helping Iran develop technology necessary to build a nuclear weapon has denied assisting its nuclear program, a Russian newspaper reported Thursday.

A report released this week by the U.N. nuclear agency said a "foreign expert" had assisted Iran with developing an advanced detonator essential for triggering a nuclear chain reaction. The Washington Post identified him as Vyacheslav Danilenko, a scientist who had worked on the Soviet nuclear program.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
old.news.yahoo.com

+60 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This is straight from the horses mouth. It looks like the American and Israeli sponsored action to push this report out is backfiring big time in their attempt to trick the public into supporting a strike on Iran.

I know many of you will say that Russia is dishonest and this scientist is lying, it's definitely a possibility. But this is a big development on this story.

This report is doing more harm than good to the war mongers agenda. They keep screwing up. Now they will look even more clueless if they attack Iran and expect us to believe their reasoning for it.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

yea right, you seriously belive a russian scientist is going to admit he helped IRAN build a nuke. What walgreens world do you live in?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

so tell me then what reasons are there to not believe this scientist?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I'm not sure if you took the time to actually read my post, but I clearly indicated he could be lying.

But if I had to make a choice I would believe him over the current governments running the United States and Israel.

The people pushing this agenda have been proven to be habitual liars many times. The scientist making these claims has a good track record.

Go ahead, believe Netanyahu and friends

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaDreamer

so tell me then what reasons are there to not believe this scientist?

pretty much the entire history of the relations between the US and Russia... cold war ring a bell buddy?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I don't understand why this is a big development. I read the article you sourced, and I'm surprised you drew the conclusion from it that you did.

The newspaper Kommersant reported that it had spoken to the 76-year-old Danilenko, and quoted him as saying: "I am not a nuclear scientist and I am not the founder of the Iranian nuclear program."

Danilenko, an expert in a process that uses explosions to create tiny diamonds for a range of industrial uses, had worked in Iran in the 1990s. The Post said he told investigators from the International Atomic Energy Agency that he thought his work was limited to assisting civilian engineering projects.

Kommersant said that starting in the 1950s and until his retirement he had worked at one of the Soviet Union's top nuclear weapons research centers, known as Chelyabinsk-70.

His denial? "I am not the founder of the Iranian nuclear program." Nobody said he was the founder of it. And "I am not a nuclear scientist." Maybe he's a physicist or metallurgist, but he said he worked for years at a top nuclear weapons research center. He must have learned something about nuclear weapons.

He "thought" his work was in civilian engineering? He's saying it wasn't?

It doesn't matter whether I believe his "denial," because he's not denying the charge that he helped Iran with a nuclear weapons program.

edit on 11-11-2011 by charles1952 because: Sorry about the underline problem.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Of course this is a major development. This is an information war, whether it is staged or not. We have many people believing these claims about Iran's intentions whatever they may be yet people are ignoring a lot of the information. This report is the best ammo TPTB have in the PR portion of the war.

Much of the current "case" against Iran is based on Russian relations with their program. So to have various officials from Russia discredit this report only makes the aggressors look ridiculous. They need to come up with a better reason to bomb Iran.

They might as well admit that they have had this on the agenda for decades and just get it over with.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Read a history book. I wouldn't be so sure he's telling the truth.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Dear Corruption Exposed,

I wish you would have addressed the points I made. And now you've added another problem. You believe that officials from Russia have discredited the report? Really? What evidince counter to the report has been presented? Just denials. And in the case of your OP, as I tried to point out, he's not even denying it.

Nor have I heard any explanation from Iran or its friends for Iran's failure to provide the access and information they agreed to.

Charles1952

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
If I were a betting man I would say that hes lying. I mean if he had said "Yeah I helped them build it" then it would expose Iran's "secret bomb building program" so of course he would lie and cover that up to not only protect Russia's butt but also Irans. Just a thought.

-SAP-
edit on 11-11-2011 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Am I understanding you correctly? What you are saying is....TPTB are feeding the public this information.....as a reason...for eventually getting involved with an attack on Iran?.....that the scientist is probably innocent....but TPTB want the public to think otherwise.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Honestly I don't know if the man is lying or not, and frankly i don't care. If anything does happen in Iran which I highly doubt it will.. I would say that it will be another fabricated war by the US and it's allies to try and eliminate what is considered the greatest threat to world peace "The Middle East" in general..

My question to the nay-sayers of this agenda would be, do you still believe there were WMD's in Iraq? Funny how they never showed up, and now Iraq is a Democracy.

Making Iraq a Democracy was probably the highlight of the agenda by TPTB on the Middle East. Making Iraq Democratic by nature most assuredly led to the uprisings and civil unrest throughout the region.

This is why I do not think anything will happen in Iran. 1. Israel runs off at the mouth all the time and never does anything. Fortunately they are kept on a leash most of the time, but they are unpredictiable too; However Netanyahu and company are very big Saber Rattlers, (Remember the Suez Canal incident?) nothing happened then either. 2. Iran has there own civil unrest and honestly it is probably just a matter of time before the governments in all those countries are over-turned.

Why rule a wasteland when you can rule the people and resources?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Dear Corruption Exposed,

I wish you would have addressed the points I made. And now you've added another problem. You believe that officials from Russia have discredited the report? Really? What evidince counter to the report has been presented? Just denials. And in the case of your OP, as I tried to point out, he's not even denying it.

Nor have I heard any explanation from Iran or its friends for Iran's failure to provide the access and information they agreed to.

Charles1952

I'm pretty sure I addressed your previous points Charles. If you feel I haven't perhaps you can elaborate a bit more.

As for this post, he is the one being accused of helping Iran build the bomb, if he claims he never worked with their nuclear weapons program it therefore makes the results of the report questionable.

The article in the OP claims:

A Russian scientist accused of helping Iran develop technology necessary to build a nuclear weapon has denied assisting its nuclear program, a Russian newspaper reported Thursday.

They conveniently left his actual denial out.

I am currently searching for the actual article on their site but my Russian needs a little work. Perhaps one of you can help me out.

www.kommersant.ru...

The Washington Post are the ones who exposed him as the "outside help":

IAEA says foreign expertise has brought Iran to threshold of nuclear capability

According to the intelligence provided to the IAEA, key assistance in both areas was provided by Vyacheslav Danilenko, a former Soviet nuclear scientist who was contracted in the mid-1990s by Iran’s Physics Research Center, a facility linked to the country’s nuclear program. Documents provided to the U.N. officials showed that Danilenko offered assistance to the Iranians over at least five years, giving lectures and sharing research papers on developing and testing an explosives package that the Iranians apparently incorporated into their warhead design, according to two officials with access to the IAEA’s confidential files.

Stay tuned

edit on 11-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: weapons

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

(Flips a coin.) Ok, I'll start with your post.

Isn't about time that we stop repeating the mistaken impression (lie?) that there were no WMD's found in Iraq? Of course there were. Not nukes, but nerve gasses and other chemical weapons.

House Intelligence Committee

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Am I understanding you correctly? What you are saying is....TPTB are feeding the public this information.....as a reason...for eventually getting involved with an attack on Iran?.....that the scientist is probably innocent....but TPTB want the public to think otherwise.

TPTB are feeding us various bits of information. Where have you been the last few decades

Yes for eventually getting involved in Iran. In case you haven't heard, the US and Israel have been planning on attacking Iran. Now you know

Yes, there is a good chance the scientist is innocent of what he has been accused of, and I said there is also a chance he is lying.

And yes, TPTB are doing whatever they can to manipulate public opinion. It's very obvious.

You understand correctly now

edit on 11-11-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: Iran not Iraq LOL, can't type today

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I politely asked you some questions. You answered... but with a condescending and patronizing attitude. That I do not appreciate at all.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Did you just use papers from the US Government to prove that the US Government didn't lie? That was good for a laugh thank you for that.

www.time.com...

Meeting last month at a sweltering U.S. base outside Doha, Qatar, with his top Iraq commanders, President Bush skipped quickly past the niceties and went straight to his chief political obsession: Where are the weapons of mass destruction? Turning to his Baghdad proconsul, Paul Bremer, Bush asked, "Are you in charge of finding WMD?" Bremer said no, he was not. Bush then put the same question to his military commander, General Tommy Franks. But Franks said it wasn't his job either. A little exasperated, Bush asked, So who is in charge of finding WMD?

mediamatters.org...

On June 21, hosts and guests on several Fox News programs hyped a false assertion by Sen. Rick Santorum and Rep. Peter Hoekstra that weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, despite the network's own reporting that discredited the claim.

articles.cnn.com...

Saddam Hussein did not possess stockpiles of illicit weapons at the time of the U.S. invasion in March 2003 and had not begun any program to produce them, a CIA report concludes.

So out of numerous news reports I just picked a few but it would seem Fox News (Who has been proven to lie as seen in the second link. Is the only one claiming they were found.
edit on 11/11/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/11/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

Thought I would add this just for the sake of saying it. Even if and I mean this by a long stretch.. Even if there were WMD's in Iraq, how were they a threat to the US?
edit on 11/11/2011 by Phantom28804 because: adding another point.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I found an article from an Indian news source that explains it better and helps connect the dots. The AP article title and content does turn out to be a bit misleading.

'I didn’t help Iran in developing atomic bomb'

Moscow: A Soviet scientist has denied being the brains behind Iran's nuclear program, despite US media reports that he helped put Tehran on the threshold of making an atomic bomb, a Russian newspaper said on Thursday.

The United Nations' nuclear watchdog said in a report issued this week that it had strong indications that a foreign expert had helped Iran develop a "high explosives detonation system" but did not identify this person.

The Washington Post newspaper cited intelligence reports that named the foreign expert as Vyacheslav Danilenko and said he had assisted the Iranians for at least five years.

Kommersant, one of Russia's leading newspapers, said it had tracked down Danilenko, now 76. It said he had worked for decades at one of Russia's top secret nuclear weapons research centres, known in Soviet times as Chelyabinsk-70.

The article connects the dots that he is the accused scientist, it also contains his quotes.

"I am not a nuclear physicist and am not the founder of the Iranian nuclear program," Danilenko was quoted as telling the newspaper. He declined any further comment, Kommersant said.

So it turns out my original source is not as accurate as it claims to be and I apologize for that. He never actually said "I didn’t help Iran in developing atomic bomb'. As neither article indicates. But it clearly indicates this man is not the type of guy that would be the brain power behind a nuclear weapons program such as the IAEA implies.

It's all about connecting the dots guys. The Iran defense is holding a lot more water than the IAEA accusations.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
This is straight from the horses mouth.

Wrong end of the horse.

What did you expect him to say?
Russia spins the news in their favor just like everybody else. Good to see you doing your part.

From my observations I'd take Both the UN and Russia's words with a grain of salt.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join