It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of god, can you please cook something else, WTH IS THAT?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
Take this advice:

Cook two separate meals. Just because she bakes everything due to high pressure doesn't mean you need to follow suit. Your satisfaction with your diet is important for your mental state.

I'm vegan. My love is not. I don't eat processed foods or MSG. My love does. If we were to eat the same meals, my love would go insane. Just because the meals are different it doesn't mean you can't eat together as the one family.

Go to www.supercook.com...

Simply input the ingredients you have and it'll generate easy recipes.

This is best solution, trust me. Tried and tested.

OMG,i am also looking for vegan recipes as well.

My 4 younger children for some reason dont like alot of meats as well as my oldest daughter.i have always told them''''since you all are waisting food im going to start not getting meats and you can eat lettuce and tomatoes for the rest of your life,lmaf.I thought they would say no,or get mad and give me the yuckey face.but they said ok.
You just cant imagine 8 kids who all have 8 diffrent taste buds.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I must also say that I am one of those people who could eat 20 doughnuts and a pound of bacon a day and I will not gain weight and my blood pressure and cholesterol level is normal.
Sort of a disclaimer.

Good genes,I guess.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
a quick easy meal that make
though use waterbuffalo here easier to get than beef ..

But can also do with beef, chicken (use breastmeat) or pork.

1. Slice meat of choice into thin strips.
2. Marinade overnight in dark soy sauce w/chopped up chilli in (normally I use 2 chilli's but unless you like very spicy would recommend use 1/2 of a chilli.)

next day cook
heat up pan put in dash of oil then cook meat add in veggies - bellpepper, tomatos, bok choi, bean sprouts, thin slice of ginger (sliver) (also add the tomato last 30 seconds of cooking or else they get soggy) takes about 5 min to make serve with rice.

Sorry I never measure when cook just add by bit of this bit of that method.. so cant give exact measurements.

lol,My biggest dream in cooking is to one day cook something that has' bok choi' in it.which end or which part of the 'bok choi' do i use?
edit on 10-11-2011 by LogiosHermes27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Your thread title is a recipe for coffeed keyboard.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If you have a crock pot, here is my recipe for pork roast. It works with cow, too:

4 lbs. of yummy goodness, also called pork butt roast. If using cow, make sure it's chuck roast, as it's the most tender.
2 lbs. potatoes, preferably red or golden. Russets tend to be bitter.
5 stalks of celery
1/2 small bag of carrots
1 (or 3
) onions
1 pouch of onion soup mix
2 1/2 cups water

Cut up all veggies. Put the potatoes in so they cover the bottom of the crock pot. Wash the roast thoroughly, and place in the pot on top of the potatoes. I don't trim the fat, but it's OK to if you want the roast to taste bland and listless
. Put in the remaining veggies around the roast. Mix the onion soup mix in with the water, and pour over the roast. Set the crock pot on low heat for 8 hours.

Here's the critical part: stay out of the house for that 8 hours or you'll go nuts with the smell. You'll start chewing on table legs at around hour 5.

When it's ready, stuff it in your face and smile contentedly.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I must also say that I am one of those people who could eat 20 doughnuts and a pound of bacon a day and I will not gain weight and my blood pressure and cholesterol level is normal.
Sort of a disclaimer.

Good genes,I guess.

You are to be reviled and scorned. I revile, and scorn, you.

/TOA

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LogiosHermes27

Organic chickpeas, lentils and an endless variety of beans are all fantastic and cost-effective. Just steep and boil.

Whatever you do, do not feed your children meat substitutes like Quorn. They're perfumed, synthetic junk laced neurotoxic MSG.

Regarding meat consumption, if you could switch the kids to to fresh fish and poultry it would be a start.

The greatest gift you can give them is the truth:

...but never at the cost of malnutrition. Research will allow you to find balance.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

You can get a quality meal out of styrofoam if you put onions and garlic in it. I found that watching food TV helps me to form ideas and then google it. Just about any recipe can be adapted for increased simplicity but you have to just get your hands dirty to understand how heat and ingredients effect your recipes... A good one to start with is turkey pot pie. If you can make that taste good from scratch you can tackle anything. Except maybe pot stickers, I can't get those things right to save my life.
edit on 10-11-2011 by xFiDgetx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Good genes,I guess.

Good genes? I'll see if I can find you the eugenicist application form.

Arguably, no. A high metabolism implies you don't store body fat very well and couldn't survive without food as long as a person with a more optimal metabolic rate. As a result of malnutrition from sustained starvation, you're body and mind would deteriorate much quicker than someone double your weight. Basic logic.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

You just cant imagine 8 kids who all have 8 diffrent taste buds.

Oh yes, sadly, I can! LOL
My son is an Aspie. Nuff said. I feel for you!

I was a veggie for the past 4+ years and just recently started eating meat again. Look tor "Better Than Bullion" (it truly is) to use where recipes call for chicken or beef soup stock/buillon, and look for recipes that taste great without just substituting items like broccoli and mushrooms for the meat. I found that so MANY places thought they could just take off the pepperoni (for example) and replace with broccoli and that vegetarians would automatically like it. Ugh. I hate broccoli, though some love it. But they didn't even try to make it taste good - they just though that simple substitution would make it taste good to Vegetarians. Nevermind that it tasted bad to all (vegetarians and non-vegetarians). I guess they thought vegetarian tastes were that much different from their own.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Rachael and Kim a write up about 4 Ingrediants on womansnetwork

It’s incredible to think that the story you’re about to read has all unfolded in the past 39 months. In true David and Goliath fashion, two mums, Rachael Bermingham and Kim McCosker, got together over a red wine and decided to write ‘4 Ingredients’ - a cookbook that they needed to help them prepare quick, easy and delicious meals for their families and didn’t break the bank.

4 ingredients web site

i hope this helps out, it will definatly make it easy for you with less ingreadiants.

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 10/11/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos

Good genes,I guess.

Good genes? I'll see if I can find you the eugenicist application form.

Arguably, no. A high metabolism implies you don't store body fat very well and couldn't survive without food as long as a person with a more optimal metabolic rate. As a result of malnutrition from sustained starvation, you're body and mind would deteriorate much quicker than someone double your weight. Basic logic.

You are correct,sir.
My metabolic rate is quite high and I do not store much body fat.
But,I have gone a few days without food many times and have done pretty well,as long as I am hydrated.
I just saying that my grandparents are in their 90's and they have lived off of fried chicken cooked in lard and rice.
They smoke and drink bourbon.
Party on.
This is not about survival,it's about good tasting food.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm from the South...so here is my finger lickin' Fried Chicken recipe.

Get a one gallon size zip lock bag. To that bag you will add

2 cups of all purpose flour
1 tsp of sea salt
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
Cracked pepper to suit your family I use 1/2 teaspoon.

Zip shut and shake well to mix everything evenly.

Take whole chicken, cut up, wash and pat dry with paper towel.

Then beat 2 eggs with 1/3 cup milk. set aside while you get oil ready.

Large frying pan or counter top electric chicken fryer (you can buy one at Walmart for around $20, and use it for other things too) heat good quality oil, I use peanut oil for high temp cooking. Heat oil to 375 degrees.

Take chicken pieces and coat with egg mixture, I dip them in a bowl with the egg mix to completely coat. Then take each piece, and pop into bag of flour mix...shake well, and set on plate...do this until you have all the chicken coated in flour. If you want an extra crunchy crust, dredge in egg, and flour a second time.

Carefully place chicken in hot oil, keep the young kids away from this part, and cook for around 25 mins turning a couple of times during cooking. Take cooked chicken out and place on oven safe platter and place in 200 degree oven while you make the gravy.

Drain all but about 3 tablespoon of oil from pan, leave the crunchy bits in pan too, pour in about 2 cups of milk and about a tablespoon of the flour from the zip lock bag...stir rapidly with a whisk on med high heat until it gets all bubbly and thick...add more spices you used in the flour to your own tastes. If gravy is too thick, add small amount of water or milk.

A crisp garden salad and corn on the cob goes great with this meal. Or mashed potatoes with gravy....the chicken with gravy on it is fine too.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

can use all of the bok choi - trim the bottom end separate and either use the whole stalks or shred and use (would post pics but at moment it wont let me use the upload on mobile)

also you can get tofu slice either in strips or cubes fry up and serve goes well with sweet/sour thai dipping sauce (can also get spicy tofu at some asian markets there and make the same way)
or add the tofu cubes to a soup made with
1. Water
2. Chicken or fish boullion cube
3. Bok choi
4. Glass noodles or vermicelli noodles.
5 (optional) 1 egg
Usually make fairly simple meals with veggies from my garden and fish that catch or chicken as have a few running around ..

Oops just realised clicked wrong link on reply.. Meant reply on LogioHermes..
Half awake time for afternoon rest incoming rain putting me to sleep..
edit on 10/11/11 by Expat888 because: minor correction

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Here is a non-vegetarian recipe my family loves:

Recipe for Chicken Enchiladas => Reference: Bill Phillips "Eating for Life" recipe book (with my notes and comments, plus nutritional content at the end).  The recipes are easy and the ingredients are fresh and they don't take more than an hour to cook, for the most part (many of the recipes take less time).  

Ingredients:

1 lb of chicken breast
4 green Onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped - or more!  I am very generous with the cilantro.
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
3 cans (10 oz each) of green enchilada sauce (or 1 1/2 19 oz cans) - I like the Las Palmas brand.
8 corn tortillas 
1 cup (or less) shredded cheddar cheese (for topping) - can use reduced-fat shredded cheddar for even lower calories, but I use the regular.
*(optional) 2 cups lettuce, shredded (use if desired to serve under the enchiladas or at the side)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream (can use light sour cream for even lower calories)
1 roma tomato, diced (I slice it and cut the center part containing the seeds out of each slice and throw that away, then dice it)
*(optional) 1 can (2 oz) ripe black olives, sliced - My sweetheart doesn't like olives, so I leave this out when I make it.

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly coat a 9" x 13" (or thereabouts) baking dish with cooking spray (I use olive oil spray).

2.  Place chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer until no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes.  Drain and let cool slightly.  Shred cooked chicken by pulling apart with 2 forks; set aside.

3.  Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat.  Add chopped green onion, cilantro and jalapeno; saute for 2 minutes.  Add shredded chicken and the first 10 oz of green enchilada sauce.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.

4.  Pour the 2 remaining cans of enchilada sauce in a medium bowl and microwave it for a minute or two until it is warm (but not too hot to burn your fingers).  Dip each tortilla in the heated sauce and fill with about 1/8 or the chicken mixture.  Roll up and place each enchilada, seam-side down, in the prepared baking dish.  This gets messy, it's easier if you take the tortillas out of the bag before you start, so you can just pick them up instead of trying to reach in the bag with drippy fingers.

5.  Pour remaining heated sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.

6.  Divide lettuce onto four plates (if using the lettuce) and place a portion of enchiladas on top.  Top with a spoonful of salsa, a dollop of sour cream, diced tomatoes and black olives (if using the olives).  Serve and enjoy!

The nutritional content, according to my "MyFitnessPal" recipe calculator, is (serving size 2 enchiladas): 

Calories = 375
Total Fat = 10.5
Total Carbs = 29 g (Fiber = 7.2 g, so net carbs is 21.8 g)
Protein = 37 g
edit on 11-11201111-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: I don't know how to recommend the cookbook/recipe without referencing the title and author. Trying to voice my opinion , that's all.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

lmaf... i slobed on my self with mouth wide open and eyes glued tight to the screen.Thats easy enough and sounds good.i love cream of mush room soup,so i can imagine the flavor it will give it.Thanks.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Self deletion...

edit on 11-11-2011 by LilDudeissocool because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ok, going to toss my two cents in here.
For cassaroles it's basically three types of ingeredients:
Pick your starch: pasta, rice, potatoes
Veggies:I've always used a "starter combo of green onions (cuz i can chop them and not cry), mushrooms,
bell peppers, and garlic. Add some frozen mixed veggies if you like.If you are using fresh spinach heap it up cuz it's going to cook way down.
Meat: left over chicken, hamburger, left over pork chops, or a sausage. chop them fine.

Now it's all amatter of knowing how your starches cook. For potatoes you can slice them thin and crosswise for a scalloped potato idea which is great for a layered casserole, I always cook the rice separatley, and of course the same for pasta. Important note for a potato casserole: add a can of cream of mushroom soup straight to your skillet mixture so it won't be dry when you bake it. Important note for using pasta: add your tomato sauce or any other favorite pasta sauce to your skillet mix so your pasta dish is moist. Add your parmesan at table. Important note for rice: nothin needed except a nice low sodium soy sauce or a snazzy peanut sauce at table.
So: add some olive oil to your large skillet (ala Rachel Ray: drizzle the oil twice around the pan) and add your chopped veggies and fry to nearly desired consistency. Add the meat and cook till veggies are done. Now if your using a pasta or rice just toss everything onto a large platter ( a rice ring around the platter is nice and fill from the skillet makes a special presentation) or mix everything in a large bowl. For your potatoes, add a touch of olive oil to the bottom of a large baking pan, layer your cut potatoes with your skillet mixture, and shredded cheese and repeat till your done and bake about 30 to 45 minutes at 350 to 400.

For your dinner, add a tossed green salad, a fruit (preferably fresh like chopped melons), and a beverage ( preferably milk or water). Withold the additional bread since you're already serving a starch.

To concern yourself with health issues: You can head them off at the pass by buying low or non fat cream of mushroom soup, organic items, low fat cheeses, whole grain pastas, and DO NOT ADD ANY SALT WHEN YOU COOK! Just put a pepper shaker on the table for seasoning.(Garlic pepper is my new favorite!!!) Ideally left over meats are barbequed which literally melts fat off the meat.

I never really got the hang of fried chicken so I raised my family cooking like this. Never had a large budget and had to figure it out. Whenever I got an idea for a dish I always warned them "This is an experiment" so it was an adventure but they knew there was no alternative.

Hope this helps and have some friggin' fun!!!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Now I'm going to share my meatloaf recipe (which in my town is a closely guarded secret)

about a pound and a half or two of hamburger( I have discovered ground bison so you'll need two pounds cuz it's sold in 1 pound packages)
dry onion soup mix : 1 envelope
1 or 2 eggs
frozen mixed veggies ( or sliced mushroom and fresh spinach )
oatmeal
flax seed (optional but if you don't use it double the oatmeal)
tomato sauce
shredded cheese
Italian seasoning or (my fav) dried basil

In a large bowl add your meat, onion soup mix, and eggs. Wash your hands and take your rings off because the only way to mix this is with your hands. And mix well. Add the oatmeal and or oatmeal and flax. I cook by sight and texture so if you need measurements check out the meat loaf recipe on Lipton's Onion Soup box and adjust accordingly. The texture of your mixture should be evenly mixed not too wet not too dry.
Get your large pyrex baking pan and pat a layer of the meat mixture about a half inch thick. Top with a layer of frozen mixed veggie. Top that with a layer of shredded cheese. Top that with the remaining meat mixture. Pour the tomato sauce over that and top that with your dried basil or Italian seasoning. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour.

It's a great way to get kids to eat veggies, use low fat and organic ingredients as you can, and all you need at table is a salad and/or some melon and a beverage. And if any of you use this in your restraunts without giving me credit I will hunt you down in the next life and make you eat my failures.

edit on 11-11-2011 by missvicky because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2011 by missvicky because: getting my LOL's right

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Throughout my childhood, much to the annoyance of my father who was and still is the family cook in their home, and thanks to a picky eater of a mother - We had the same damn meals everyday of every week.
Took us 20 years to cajole her into eating prawns.
She likes bacon, but on the one occasion we bought gammon steaks instead, she whinged so incessantly I accidentally ended up wearing it with much hilarity, dripping with bean juice.

Today in my own household the shoes on the other foot. I'm addicted to cookbooks and nowadays's get whinged at if I don't make something I did the other month.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join