It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the love of god, can you please cook something else, WTH IS THAT?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LogiosHermes27

I can sympathize and relate.

Buying a few good cookbooks is a great place to start....do you have a standard issue Betty Crocker Cookbook for example ?

I know it sounds cliche but she does have a wide variety of flavors and they're all prepared with readily available ingredients and spices.

The only thing that I would recommend is that I usually double up on the onion and garlic in all of her Recipes...

Otherwise they will tend to be a tad bland.

But these basic recipes are a great place to start and allow you to begin to become creative....and to prepare meals very quickly !!

Educate yourself and your wife to new seasonings and flavors and ingredients and recipes.
I'd recommend a Cajun cookbook for starters.....

Begin food shopping with a menu and necessary ingredients in mind.

It's Friday so I am preparing a Shrimp Jambalaya for example .....which is simmering and filling my home with fragrant !

Peace
edit on 11-11-2011 by nh_ee because: Needed more Onion and Garlic !! Mais bien sur ! Aber Naturlich !!

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I forgot to add that no matter why you are going to cook, I bet she appriciates it.

I also love to watch PBS cooking shows. If you have cable, see if they offer the Create chanel. It is nothing but fun PBS shows.

I also like the cooking channel. It is an offshoot of the FoodNetwork, and I think they have better shows.

Good luck with your cooking! It can be a lot of fun, and a great way to spend family time.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
just adding another:

start with this...

end with this...

easily feeds 6 or better for less than $15 .. good eats, too. :slurp:

the recipe's here
edit on 11/11/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I would love them to cook and give us a break some times, but we...loll, have a chain on the refrigerator so they will not eat us out of house and home. My oldest son he cooks sometimes but it’s nasty as hell, my oldest daughter cooks whenever my wife is tired.

My situation is so complicated .
2 kids don’t eat eggs
2 kids don’t like meat
1 cant eat fish
1 doesn’t like milk
2 don’t like bacon
1 will just eat rice

And me, I gave up along time ago trying to satisfy every bodys taste buds.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

thanks 'gwynnhwyfar ' Do you know how to cook 1000 bean soup..or a 100 bean soup?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

lmaf,will do.

In the next 2 weeks im going to try to cook all the recipes you all gave me.I will then put it on my utube channel and post it on the ats to get your opinion on the out come.

Lol, I was latterly ‘laughing out loud’a few minutes ago ,I have a very vivid imagination when it comes to details of some one telling me something. I was imagining the smell of your dish and actually thinking how good it would smell, and actually running out the door in the deep abyss of happiness.

Thanks Old American

edit on 11-11-2011 by LogiosHermes27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Why did you start back eating meats?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

My wife put it to the kids once when they were complaining and wanting different stuff.
"This ain't no restaurant"
It ended up with my son,the picky one,just eating a sandwich.
I can't imagine with all the kids you have.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69

Rachael and Kim a write up about 4 Ingrediants on womansnetwork

It’s incredible to think that the story you’re about to read has all unfolded in the past 39 months. In true David and Goliath fashion, two mums, Rachael Bermingham and Kim McCosker, got together over a red wine and decided to write ‘4 Ingredients’ - a cookbook that they needed to help them prepare quick, easy and delicious meals for their families and didn’t break the bank.

4 ingredients web site

i hope this helps out, it will definatly make it easy for you with less ingreadiants.

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 10/11/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

Did she ever say what kind of cream she used?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

TextDrain all but about 3 tablespoon of oil from pan, leave the crunchy bits in pan too, pour in about 2 cups of milk and about a tablespoon of the flour from the zip lock bag...stir rapidly with a whisk on med high heat until it gets all bubbly and thick...add more spices you used in the flour to your own tastes. If gravy is too thick, add small amount of water or milk.

Quick question Destinyone.

Is this how you make home made gravy?

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Your dish will be the third dish I present on my utube channel, I just went shopping yesterday’s I only shop 1 time a week, so next week when I shop I will make this scrumptious dish. Thanks.

edited because i didnt see what type of cheese gwynnhwyfar mentioned but now i see.

edit on 11-11-2011 by LogiosHermes27 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I can give you my recipe for 10 bean soup. Get the package of dried 10 bean mix. It usually comes in a tube shaped pack. A mix of all the beans.

2 large cartons of Swansons fat free chicken broth in large soup pot with rinsed dried beans. Cartons look like they hold about a quart. It's the only broth carton on the shelf. Set on med heat and cover.

1 large onion chopped
1 bell/green pepper seeded and chopped
5 or 6 stalks of celery sliced in about 1/2' pieces
3 dried bay leaves
5 cloves of fresh garlic chopped
1 tsp dried basil
Cracked pepper and sea salt to taste.

Toss all above into a large frying pan with about 4 tablespoons of olive oil Saute until slightly wilted. Then add to soup/bean pot. add a cup of water if needed.

Chop about 4 carrots into 1' pieces add to pot. Same with potatoes if you want. Keep adding water as you need it.
The fun part is adding chopped ham, or bacon, or Italian sausage for some real zing. Cover whole pot, simmer until beans are done....serve alone or over basmati rice.

posted on Nov, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogiosHermes27
reply to post by Destinyone

TextDrain all but about 3 tablespoon of oil from pan, leave the crunchy bits in pan too, pour in about 2 cups of milk and about a tablespoon of the flour from the zip lock bag...stir rapidly with a whisk on med high heat until it gets all bubbly and thick...add more spices you used in the flour to your own tastes. If gravy is too thick, add small amount of water or milk.

Quick question Destinyone.

Is this how you make home made gravy?

That's my down and dirty method. To make a fool proof gravy you start with a "roux". Here are the directions for making roux gravies. Once you master this, you will be the Gravy King.

If this is easy for you...I'll teach you how to make beurre blanc sauce.

Roux Gravy
The ratio of flour, fat, and liquid is important to make perfect gravy

Making Gravy with a Roux
Roux gravy is the hearty variety often served with turkey, mashed potatoes or rice.

A roux is a mixture of equal parts of oil, butter, or fat renderings and flour. The roux mixture is cooked at least three to five minutes over low heat to remove the raw flavor of the flour, then the liquid is added which thickens into the gravy. The roux method is least likely to produce lumpy gravy.

To make a roux gravy, the basic formula is 2 tablespoons fat, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 cup of liquid to equal 1 cup of gravy.

After cooking the meat or poultry, judge the amount of fat or oil remaining in the pan drippings. This is the most crucial part of a roux gravy. Determine how much gravy you need. You will need to adjust the fat or oil amount up or down to suit your needs according to the basic formula.

Remove fat from the pan and if you don't have enough, add butter. Stir an equal amount of flour into the hot fat and cook at least five minutes. Add corresponding ratio of liquid slowly to the roux while stirring. It should immediately begin to thicken. Bring to a simmer while stirring to avoid lumps. Adjust seasonings. At this point you can continue cooking the gravy to make it as thick as you desire.

The liquid used can be a strong broth, milk or heavy cream, depending on how rich and decadent you want the finished product. If it needs thinning, just add a little more broth. Unless your meat was highly seasoned, you will generally need to add salt and pepper before finishing. As a general rule, one-half teaspoon of salt will be needed for each cup of liquid, but taste first. Keep in mind that the gravy will thicken upon standing, so resist the urge to speed up your gravy by adding additional flour.
edit on 11-11-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This chart is not bad, there are some things on it that are not totally correct, it depends what state you live in in Australia. Australian to American Food Conversion Chart

Out of all the states who name things weird, it would be the banana benders,[Queenslanders] I was originally a Victorian.
I say packet chips not potato crisps and I call chips from the fish and chip shop .chips.
And I call it cantaloupe not rock melon.

But any way there are more charts on the net if this one doesn’t help.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
My Mums Porcupine Balls Recipe.

Ingredients

1 Tin of Tomato soup [choose a brand your family likes best] I like Rosella here in OZ, it’s a condensed soup that you add a tin of water to, to make up the soup.
Water
1 large brown onion diced
500g Beef Sausage mince [this is different to ground beef] I’m not sure what you call it there
½ cup of un- cooked rice

Method

In a saucepan add tin soup. With the empty tin, fill with water and add to soup. [So thats 1 tin of soup and 1 tin of water].

Combine onion and mince. Roll into balls and then roll them in the rice, then place the balls in with the soup.

Cover and cook slowly until the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
Serve with a side of mashed potato and your choice of greens,

Enjoy… it’s one of favourites

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
My one pot wonder… Curried sausages
I never measure my ingredients. I usually just use what I have available.

Ingredients

Sausages, as many as you need
Curry powder [use a brand that you like best]
Potatoes peeled and cut into 3 or 4 pieces depend on how big they are.
Carrots… peeled and sliced
Pease… as many as you want
1 or 2 Brown diced onions depends on what you like
Sugar… add for desired sweetness, not too much though, its meant to be a savoury dish.
Salt... add a small pinch only, as you can always add more once it’s on your plate.
Sultanas… Only if you like them
Corn flour… for thickening the stew. Mix about 2 heaped table spoons of corn flour to a cup of cold water to make a runny paste.
If the flavour is not quite right you can add a spoon full of jam[conserve/jelly] in it as well for a fruity sweetness.

Method

In the largest pot you have, add onion, sausages, desired amount of curry powder, carrots, potatoes, peas, a pinch of salt and sugar. cover with water and boil until cooked about 25 mins.

Once cooked to the way you like slowly thicken it with cornflour and water paste, stirring constantly to even out the thickener.

Tip: keep tasting through the cooking process and add more curry, sugar or salt as you think is required.
Serve in a bowl with buttered bread on a side plate.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogiosHermes27
reply to post by kdog1982

I would love them to cook and give us a break some times, but we...loll, have a chain on the refrigerator so they will not eat us out of house and home. My oldest son he cooks sometimes but it’s nasty as hell, my oldest daughter cooks whenever my wife is tired.

My situation is so complicated .
2 kids don’t eat eggs
2 kids don’t like meat
1 cant eat fish
1 doesn’t like milk
2 don’t like bacon
1 will just eat rice

And me, I gave up along time ago trying to satisfy every bodys taste buds.

A friend was giving me lessons in organic cooking and healthy eating. I didn't seem to grasp the lessons as quickly as he liked and so I remember in somewhat of a state of exasperation he exclaimed...Just cook up a big pot of brown rice and a big pot of beans and keep them handy in the refrigerator and work around them adding fruit, vegetable, nuts or other protein to make all your meals.
You can make small batches of soups, stir fries, side dishes, add them to wraps. You can saute or chop any additional vegetable, sauces and protein to these two basic ingredients. You can eat them together for complete protein and add them to almost anything. It is a good plan and recommended because if they are already precooked YOU WILL use them, cook with them and eat them. Though humble in nature both as I am sure you know are necessary and medicinal to the body.

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
2 meals in one
Sweet corn chicken soup and coconut curry chicken

Place raw chicken in a large pot with 2 chicken stock cubes, cover and boil until chicken is cooked thoroughly through
Remove chicken and pour the stock into containers and refrigerate. We do this so the fat will harden and it’s easy to remove and throw away. We don’t want that fat yuk.
So now you have enough chicken stock for soup and cooked chicken for the coconut curry.

Sweet corn chicken soup

Ingredients
Chicken stock as much as your family will eat,
2 tins crushed sweet corn
4 eggs
Cooked chicken Breasts
Cornflour… used to thicken the soup to desired consistency to make the thickening paste add 2 heaped table spoons of cornflour to one cup of cold water
Method
Bring stock to boil then slow down to a simmer
Shred the chicken breast with a fork and add to stock
Add corn
In a bowl break eggs and lightly whisk with a fork
Stirring constantly slowly pour the egg into the soup, you are going to try and make long thin cooked egg strands through your soup
Then still stirring constantly slowly pour in the cornflour mix to thicken. Add as much as you require for the right constancy you want your soup.

Coconut curry chicken

Remove the remainder chicken from the bones
1 brown onion diced
Curry powder of your choice
2 tins of coconut cream or coconut milk it doesn’t matter as we are going to thicken it anyway.
1 tablespoon of jam [fruit conserve/jelly]
Sprinkle off sugar
Pinch of salt

Method
In a large pot add onion, chicken, coconut and desired amount of curry powder, jam, sugar and salt
Bring to boil and stirring constantly pour in the cornflour mixture to thicken to you desire
you may need to add a bit of water to this
Serve on a bed of cooked rice
Tip: taste test add more curry, sugar or salt as needed

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 12/11/11 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

This looked and sounded delicious until I looked up hog maw.
Hogs need their maws!

posted on Nov, 12 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Super EZ&Tasty 1 Pot Chili

Brown some meat in a stew pot, any kind if its not ground chop it up coarsely. If you're going to use the frozen skinless chicken breasts about the time they are brown you can chop them up right in the pot.

To the browned meat in the pot add
At least 1 large can of enchilada sauce, the green kind is good. Medium spicy works well
A couple cans of beans, dont strain them just dump it all in. Chick Peas, Black Beans or Kidney Beans or a combo works nicely
2 large chopped onions
several cloves of garlic
optional:
A can of Corn (dont strain)
Mushrooms
Carrots
Tomatoes (a can of stewed works well)
Peppers to spice it up
Cilantro, Cumin

Just let it simmer for a couple of hours and enjoy

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>